Start by marking “My Imaginary Ex” as Want to Read:
My Imaginary Ex

My Imaginary Ex

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  744 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Here's what happens when you play pretend.

When Zack asks Jasmine to pretend to be his ex-girlfriend, she gamely agrees, thinking it would be fun. A few years later, she still has to keep convincing people that they were never together! Then one day, she finds out he’s getting married—to someone she'd just met once! All of a sudden, things aren’t so clear-cut anymore. Can J
Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Published 2009 by Summit Media

To ask other readers questions about My Imaginary Ex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Imaginary Ex

K.D. Absolutely
Jul 20, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My mom residing in San Diego CA
Recommended to K.D. by: Mina V. Esguerra (the author herself!)
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
Thank you to Mina, the author of this chicklit, for giving three copies of this book to me as a birthday gift! This is my first time to receive books from an author. I liked this - 3 stars!

To be fair to the likes of Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and Under The Net by Dame Iris Murdoch, two novels that I rated low, please understand that I am rating My Imaginary Ex based on the fact that this is a chicklit (Mina, no offense) so I am rating this based on chicklit standard.

All the books that I rea
Reev Robledo
Apr 24, 2013 Reev Robledo rated it it was amazing
I know I vowed not to read any chick literature in the next decade but I had about two hours to kill on a bus ride so I decided to bring this along. I even covered the cover with a white sheet of paper so people won't see what I'm reading! True story. Haha.

I always try to put myself in the shoes of the author's market especially if the genre is not something I would normally consume. My Imaginary Ex has bestseller (in fact, it already is) written all over it.

The premise:
Two exes caring so much f
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Maria
Sep 04, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I recommend My Imaginary Ex.

*****

Here's what happened when you play pretend. Love sneaks up on you.

What's the English word for torpe? You know, that guy you're friends with who doesn't make a move on you because he's afraid to lose your friendship? Yeah, that's Zack personified. I'm not a fan of torpe guys, but I can make an exception with him. Besides, I always liked love stories between two people who started out as friends first. I should know. That's my love story right there.

And I agree tha
Chachic
Originally posted here.

Zack and Jasmine went to the same high school but they were never that close. They reconnect when they bump into each other in college and they become good friends. Zack then asks Jasmine to pretend to be his ex because he's never had a girlfriend before and the girl that he likes doesn't want to be with someone who's never been in a relationship. Jasmine agrees, not knowing the consequences of that little lie. Fast forward to the present day, Zack is about to get married
Ranee
Oct 18, 2012 Ranee rated it liked it
Welcome to the Friend Zone!
Zack and Jas had a nine year stay in the friend zone until they finally succumbed to love without the "platonic" beside it. Well, okay, it was not really a real friend zone per se, they were a couple in denial. And as the saying goes, sa hinaba-haba ng prusisyon, sa (Anito)simbahan din ang tuloy.

I enjoyed reading this book not because I liked Zach nor related with Jas. Actually, I related more with Zach (but not pertaining by his being torpe) and not quite sure if I ha
Alona
Feb 10, 2014 Alona rated it really liked it
Friends turned lovers is one of the most used and abused plots of all time. I know you've read it in one or two romance novels you have. You've seen it in most Romantic-Comedy movies and drama series you watched. You've probably heard it in one of your chismisan moments with your friends. It happened to someone you know or it happened with you. Hey, it happened to me. So what sets My Imaginary Ex from the rest? Simple—It's how Mina V. Esguerra tells the story.

In a Romance Novel Workshop I atten
Cienne Olaes
Jul 04, 2010 Cienne Olaes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, favorites
I usually just get tears from reading when the storyline is a bit boring and I am just simply forcing myself at least for the sake of getting to the end of it. The tears were of course induced by drowsiness. A professor once told me that there is a connection between feeling sleepy and lacking capacity to understand during class. I have to do the long introduction because the first thing that I love about “my imaginary ex” is the fact that characters are gradually introduced, it lets the audienc ...more
Lottie Eve
Mar 01, 2013 Lottie Eve rated it really liked it
I am a very girly person and I love fun, cute love stories. Love stories that are written well never fail to make me absolutely giddy. I am not afraid to admit the my girly self squees a lot when I encounter a cute story. One day I was struck with the want of a cute love story and so I picked up My Imaginary Ex. Do you know what happened when I read it? I squeeed. (Is squeeed even a word?)

description

My Imaginary Ex is a fun, amusing friend-to-couple tale that is very different from the norm. When Jasmine w
Nenette
Aug 14, 2010 Nenette rated it really liked it
Thanks to Mina for sending copies of this book to Doni, and thanks to Doni for sharing. I'm giving this 4 stars for four reasons: it's simple, short, sustaining, and complete. Nice one, Mina!
Tina
May 11, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
The characters in this novel were strong and unique, each of them having a different voice, even if it’s just a minor character. The supporting characters, Lena and Marjorie, were fun, and convincing, while Kimmy, the main antagonist, was just as hateful. The story was painted over a setting that was very believable, and I could actually imagine where they went at this party or

I think the strength of My Imaginary Ex is not just in its characters, but in how the story was told. The jumps back in
Maria Ella
May 16, 2013 Maria Ella rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christy Mae
Also posted in my blog Markings of a Dreamer

Having a heist plot with flashback effects and making it fit in a little chic-lit novella is really amusing. I cannot help but gush over the skill of the author having the capacity to put the plot and make it so cohesive, it captured the target market of women and teens who giddy over a good read and the man of their dreams.

While Zack and Jasmine are good friends, they played with the relationship, for the sake of the anecdotes that they keep. You kn
Holly
Feb 11, 2011 Holly rated it liked it
When her old friend Lena texts her out of the blue, Jasmine is having a hard time recalling how they became friends in the first place. Then she remembers: meeting Lena is how one of the longest-running lies she’s ever told originated. Lena, who used to date her friend Zack, thinks that Jasmine is Zack’s ex-girlfriend. What at first sounded fun had quickly got out-of-hand, and soon enough both Zack’s next girlfriend, his fiance, Kimmy, and everyone around them thought it was true too. Now that Z ...more
Sasha
Mar 21, 2016 Sasha rated it really liked it
This is a re-read. I believe Mina Esguerra tweeted about a digital edition so I downloaded a free copy and read My Imaginary Ex again. It's just as good as when I first read it! 4 Stars!!! I own a paperback copy of this book and have read it a number of times when I got it back in 2012, if I am not mistaken. It's just sooo kilig!

I love the pretending to be the stripper part. And the morning after. Ha-ha!

#latepost
Rachelle Ayala
Apr 30, 2014 Rachelle Ayala rated it it was amazing
Ms. Esguerra is a fantastic storyteller. She'll capture you from the very first page when Jasmine meets Lena and Marjorie to ask her to prevent their "shared" ex, Zack, from marrying the woman of his nightmares.

In a series of back and forth flashbacks, we realize that Jasmine and Zack were never "just friends" or "fake exes," only Jasmine was and is too clueless to do a thing about it, even when Zack is days away from marrying a vamp who'd make Cruella De Ville seem domesticated.

Jasmine's final
Willow
Feb 28, 2012 Willow rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To all the hopeless romantic people like me! ;)
One word to sum up this book: kilig! If you are a hopeless romantic like me, or as my friend's sister have said "to those who lost their passion for reading", read this book and you won't regret it! Mina Esguerra is one author who knows how to make her readers feel good. You would want to be Jasmine in this book so you can have your own Zachary.

I read this in a few hours, re-read it some more, slept with a smile on my face and woke up wanting to read it again.

It's that good!
Cary
Jul 20, 2011 Cary rated it really liked it
Having read this book twice, My Imaginary Ex is actually my favorite among my Summit books collection. I love reading romance novels about friends ending up together but what I like about Jasmine and Zach is their not the usual bestfriends-turned-into-lovers kind of love story.
Miel Salva
Mar 26, 2015 Miel Salva rated it it was amazing
If you dig a best friend-turn-lovers trope, this is the story for you. Jasmine is probably the Queen of Clueless. I was glad that she eventually realized her feelings before it was too late. I personally think it was kinda late...what with the money spent for the wedding preparations and all, hehehe. Sayang ang pera, hahaha. But I'm relieved that it all ended well.

I was actually cursing Kimmy the whole time for the terrible deal he made with Zack. And I got annoyed that Zack agreed not to see Ja
Josephine
I loved this book. I think that the story is pretty cute. It made me smile and made me want to bop the characters on the head--Zack for not being straight-forward and Jasmine for being clueless. ^_^

My second Mina V. Esguerra book. ^_^
NancyK
Jul 17, 2015 NancyK rated it really liked it
This is one of the three novellas in Perfect Boyfriends: A Chic Manila collection. This is an interesting take on the Friends-to-Lovers theme. It is set in the Philippines. I liked that.
I liked the plot twist. The hero, Zac, had asked Jasmine to pretend to be his ex-girlfriend. And they both had used this bit of pretend history to their advantage throughout several years. Then Zac decides to get married. His real ex-girlfriends recruit his imaginary ex-girlfriend to persuade Zac not to marry. Th
Celester Mejia
Nov 09, 2010 Celester Mejia rated it it was amazing
Lynai
Jan 02, 2015 Lynai rated it liked it
Did I ever mention that I am on a Mina V. Esguerra marathon? :D My Imaginary Ex is already my seventh — the ones which I’ve already read are Love Your Frenemies, Fairy Tale Fail, Love Your Frenemies, Interim Goddess of Love #1, and No Strings Attached. So far, I have been satisfied with the chick-lit high I expected from Miss Esguerra, and I was ever so glad to have received three of her books in print last Christmas!

I made the mistake of reading Love Your Frenemies before My Imaginary Ex becaus
Janus Vielle the Erudite Artist
I'm not much of fan of chick lit, but I was intrigued with "My Imaginary Ex". The title itself is attention-grabbing. I'd give it more that 3 stars if I was an ultimate fan of Chick Lit.

The setting was very much correlated with our typical everyday lives, which makes it good enough to feel like it's taken from a true-to-life story. There where some events I was able to relate to, like having schoolmates whom you're not really close to back in high school then suddenly become one of your closest
Allen Grace
Sep 28, 2013 Allen Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, chick-lit, 2013-reads

"Zack and I, I had to remind myself sometimes, were never together. There was nothing to 'get over'. There was no dramatic senior prom, no tearful 'let's be friends' reconciliation during high school graduation. She was mistaken then, and mistaken now..."

Falling in love with your best friend is the kind of love story that is difficult to pull off, or write about, I must say, because it's one of those clichéd and overused plots in contemporary romance fiction that also needs a lot of co
Carmel
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
POV: Jasmine's (1st person)
Reading Level: New Adult
Source: Bought a signed copy.

What is it with Mina, seriously? I can identify myself with Julie. Now, Jasmine. I can somehow feel Mina reads my thoughts and knows my life. LOL. She is like Taylor Swift for books.

This book is really unique. The concept of love starting from friendship is overused, but there is just something on how Mina writes. No matter how common the story is, it IS about the extraordinary story tellin
Maricar Dizon
it surprised me. really. so much better than i expected. it was... different from the other mina esguerra books I've read before. maybe because i have a soft spot for long overdue romances. i liked the flashbacks and how close jasmine and zack was. it was also fun to read his three exes -two real and one imaginary - together. and i even almost cried at the scene when jasmine finally realized she's in love with zack. i also like zack, even the fact that he's the type of person who doesn't want to ...more
Ma. Lalaine
Jan 27, 2012 Ma. Lalaine rated it really liked it
Love starts from friendship. I believe it is an autobiography of Mina. Just kidding. She writes so well. I like the sequences of the story. It is awesome that their relationship is unplanned but it blooms naturally. They grow together as friends then they find themselves loving each other. That matured love we all dream of.

What is an imaginary ex? He is your type. The one you see around you. In this book, you see him in Zach but it could sum of all parts of the guys you encounter in your life.
Alibiserver
Apr 03, 2011 Alibiserver rated it really liked it
Simple, direct, mundane, guilty pleasure. Yes, MIE is a quick read, no-challenge fluff with the underpinnings of a typical Filipino chick-lit novel and while it is atypical with most English Chick-Lit novels written by Filipinos today, it succeeded for me personally, even ending up dog-eared in the long run through re-reads. Best Friend romances are like Instant Noodles; it comes pre-packaged and is easy to digest, yet there’s something to its flavor that your taste buds crave for. The language ...more
Michiko
Nov 24, 2014 Michiko rated it it was ok
The story line was not cliche which is a good thing. But the thing is, there isn't really any depth in the development of the relationship of the two but it's a good book to read to pass time. One compliment here is that at the very least, this is not boring.
Jul 03, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas, chick-lit
  • Table for Two
  • Drama Queen
  • One Crazy Summer
  • Vince's Life
  • The Breakup Diaries
  • 12 Steps to Quitting AJ
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • It's a Mens World
  • Womenagerie and Other Tales from the Front
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Personal: Mga Sanaysay sa Lupalop ng Gunita
  • Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
  • Ang Hukuman ni Sinukuan (A Book in 2 Languages)
  • Tall Story
  • The Best of Chico & Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10
  • Fall Like Rain
Mina V. Esguerra writes contemporary romance and young adult novellas. She has a bachelor's degree in Communication and a master's degree in Development Communication, put to good use in her work as trainer and content management consultant. Mina lives in Metro Manila, Philippines, with her husband and daughter.

She finds inspiration in the lives and experiences of other people, so the answer to "I
More about Mina V. Esguerra...

“My calendar lately is full of work. And you.” 6 likes