Start by marking “Bulfinch's Mythology” as Want to Read:
Bulfinch's Mythology

Bulfinch's Mythology

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  9,478 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
For almost a century and a half, Bulfinch's Mythology has been the text by which the great tales of the gods and goddesses, Greek and Roman antiquity; Scandinavian, Celtic, and Oriental fables and myths; and the age of chivalry have been known.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Bulfinch's Mythology, please sign up.

Pearl Yusuf Yes. I got it free on the Oodles free book app

Trish
Jul 05, 2016 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's take a moment to not only acknowledge this work itself but also its very own history and author.

Thomas Bulfinch (1769 - 1867) was the son of Charles Bulfinch who was the first American architect (meaning the first man to be born on American soil to ever make architecture his profession), Commissioner of Public Building, and who built amongst others the United States Capitol rotunda, the Massachusetts State House, the University Hall at Harvard University and the Massachusetts General Hospi
Brad
If anyone thinks this is a completely comprehensive look at the mythos of the Greeks, the Norse, the Celtic, the Arthurian, the Crusades, or the Middle Ages, then you're part-way correct. It is pretty comprehensive. At least by my eye. But it's more comprehensive for the Greeks, the Arthurian legends, and the time of Charlemagne than anything else.

In fact, other than the quick and dirty tellings of the the Greek gods and heroes, with christian sensibilities intact and morals gently glossing over
David
Have problems distinguishing Perseus from Theseus? Can't tell a Titan from an Olympian? Do those mythology questions on Jeopardy leave you stumped? Could mythology be your Achilles heel?

If your knowledge of Greek mythology is derived primarily from Saturday morning cartoons, then maybe it's time for a refresher course. Yes, I know - life is busy, and you have philosophical objections to the dominance accorded the Greeks where mythology is concerned. Too bad. That argument may be theoretically so
Rozzer
Jul 08, 2012 Rozzer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, reviewed, gone
Damn. Bulfinch's Mythology. About as classic as you can get. The early Victorian (hence highly bowdlerized and edited) version of classical Greek and Roman ideas about their then gods and goddesses. I'm sure you'll expect an erudite and telling critique of this all too proper version of stories that in the beginning (and for a very good while thereafter) were about as improper as improper could be. Well, the worse for you, friend.

A very long time ago, when I and my now long-time spouse were you
Kristin
I have mixed feelings on this book. I bought it to read because I heard it was a good resource to get caught up on Greek myths before my Literature GRE and I read a bit more than half of the book before giving up on it (p. 468). While I really liked the excerpts from literature used when explaining the various gods and goddesses and other mythological characters, I did not like the structure of the book. It was in no sort of coherent order. I also did not like the comment by the author at the be ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Oct 09, 2011 BAM The Bibliomaniac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myths, own
I feel like I really accomplished something having read Bulfinch. This particular book collected fables, chivalry, and Charlemagne. I set out expecting Fable to be my favorite section as I have been a devotee of Greek mythology since grade school, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading the exploits of Charlemagne's Knights. The tales of King Arthur's court were a bit much to wade through, lots of Welsh. Sadly the movie Excalibur will always influence my ideas of that period.
Erik Graff
Nov 13, 2008 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
Having heard about Bulfinch's Mythology since childhood I finally broke down, purchased the cheap Modern Library edition containing all three volumes at a local mall and read the thing. Unsurprisingly, it was a bit of a disappointment, Bulfinch not being a scholar and his versions of the stories being mostly 19th century reworkings of particular texts popular in his time. For someone interested only in understanding some of the major Western myths, epics and legends well enough to catch referenc ...more
Phil
May 27, 2011 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While a very ambitious work, Bulfinch's Mythology didn't quite live up to my expectations. Assembling it was clearly a major undertaking, but the spotty coverage and uninspiring presentation hinder the overall quality of the work.

The book starts off fairly strongly, with an exhaustive chronicle of Greek mythology. Here Bulfinch's enthusiasm for the topic is clearly visible. Not only does he relate the stories, but he also points out allusions to the characters and themes to them in literature a
Jonathan Winegar
This book seems like a great starting point for people interested in Greek Myths, Charlemange/Chivalry and Norse Myths.

I already knew all the Greek Myths so I skipped through them quickly.

The Charlemange and Chivalry section was interesting. It had historical info on knights and their lives. He also has the legend of King Arthur.

The Norse myths were the most interesting for me. It can be difficult to find good sources on the gods of Asgard. Reading about Thor is always awesome.

There is a story w
Julenew
Jun 21, 2009 Julenew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know that this is one of the most popular books for teaching mythology in school, but I think that's a real shame.

Thomas Bulfinch is *far* more concerned with how the Greek and Roman myths are integrated into the literature of other cultures than he is with telling the stories of those myths.

To *really* study Greek Mythology, read Edith Hamilton.
Eric
Jun 09, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic book on mythology.
Wendy
Nov 13, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me three years to read, but that's more than a little misleading, as I didn't read out of it at all for at least a year. It is still censure enough against the book, though--I ran out of momentum largely because it's so dull.

I'm not unfamiliar with the epic form--I read Beowulf in school (a very poor translation of it, as it turns out, but the essentials are the same, and I still enjoyed it), and Lord of the Rings, very much written in the style of the old epics, is in my top ten
Morgan
Dec 28, 2016 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was not a fun mythology read. I kind of liked it, but I'm just glad I finished the whole thing. Keep in mind this book was published in the late 1800s and keep in mind this is not about all kinds of mythology. If you have an interest in Greco-Roman (mostly Roman) mythology, King Author, and Charlemagne you might enjoy this, but even I found Bulfinch's writing tedious. It's worth the read, but it's dated compared to some modern mythology books.

At times this book tries to cover other types of
Steve
Dec 24, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's actually a collection of three books Bullfinch published in the first half of the 19th Century. The Age of Fable, The Age of Chivalry, and The Legends of Charlemagne. The Age of Fable is predominantly concerned with retelling the ancient Greek myths (with shorter nods to Norse and other mythologies), all based on poems of the time but spun into condensed prose. Many of the stories were familiar, some were new or different than I knew, but all were told so well by Bullfinch, who had quite th ...more
Gary Foss
I first read this many, many moons ago, back when the world was young and the gods still walked the Earth. I speak, of course, of the 1980s. Back then, I read it as a kind of primer on mythology. Bulfinch goes to a lot of effort to reference more contemporary (to him) writers ranging from Milton to Eliot, but it wasn't until this reread that I realized this book is meant to be a primer in literature, allusion and symbols rather than simply an overview of Greek mythology. As such, it serves as a ...more
Jerome Peterson
Aug 16, 2013 Jerome Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Thomas Bulfinch
November 4, 2013

“The justly famous Mythology by Thomas Bulfinch contains three volumes the contents of which are retained in this abridgment for the student and general reader. “

The Age of Fable: The gods and goddesses of Greece and Rome, as well as the mythology of Germanic tribes, England, and the Near East.

The Legend of Charlemagne: Accounts of the reign of the first great French Emperor, his wars, and conquests.

The Age of Chivalry: King Arthur and his court, Launcelot and G
Ron
May 13, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are divided into three sections: The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes (first published in 1855); The Age of Chivalry (1858), which contains King Arthur and His Knights, The Mabinogeon, and The Knights of English History; and Legends
M.G. Bianco
Feb 02, 2011 M.G. Bianco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The graphic is misleading, as I did not read all three volumes that make up Bullfinch's Mythology, I only read the Age of Fables--his account of Greek and Roman mythology. The book starts out with the creation account and concludes with an exploration of the realms of the dead as told by Virgil in his account of Aeneas. Between them, are the various hero stories and othes.

Bullfinch's telling of the stories is traditional and thorough. One of the things I most like about it was his quoting of lat
Rebecca
I was a little disappointed to discover that this edition cuts out all but the myths from cultures besides Greek and Roman, which I'd really looked forward to, and there were some other edits to cut out "superfluous" material, that isn't really superfluous to people who are trying to study the myths. But I paid $1.50 for it at a book sale, so I'll take it and be grateful.

I found it odd that Bulfinch uses primarily the Roman names for the gods and goddesses, rather than the more commonly known G
Gabrielle Belisle

I picked this book up as a means of studying more mythology (I am a mythologist who has competed at a national level) and let me tell you, I have never had such a hard time finishing a book as I had with this. I started this book two years ago and I was only able to read roughly 150 pages of it. It is made up of a series of short (often flawed or religiously biased) stories and is incredibly dry. Bulfinch has mastered the art of horrible storytelling and appalling use of language. I don't reall
Crystal Pacific
I got this from my uncle for Christmas last year. I was so happy because I LOVE Greek and Roman mythology (mostly Greek) and this is FULL of it.
Steven Peterson
Oct 15, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Bulfinch taught at Harvard College in the mid-1800s. He saw a need to collect myths and legends of the classical and later world, as these were important parts of the Western culture. Three books ensued: "The Age of Fable," "The Age of Chivalry," and "Legends of Charlemagne."

First, there are nice introductions to each of the three component works. These provide useful context for what follows.

"The Age of Fable" includes some well known episodes, such as Prometheus and Pandora, Midas, Mo
Jason Krakauer
Apr 22, 2014 Jason Krakauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wanted to know more about Greek, Roman, and Egyptian legends about gods, goddesses, and heroes? Well then, Bulfinch's Mythology is the right book for you. This 680 paged book goes into depth about the early creation of the gods and the legends and stories about how the world of gods and humans came to be.
I enjoyed this educational book about gods, goddesses, and heroes because I have an interest in Greek mythology for many years. I would recommend this book to anyone that also en
Lance
Feb 27, 2008 Lance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an interest in greek myth
Shelves: greek-myth
A nice review of classic Greek mythology. This version is a classic in itself. It contains nice asides wherein the author lists excerpts from other classic works of literature when they reference the myth he is then reviewing.

This book would be a nice introduction to Greek mythology, but is also a nice supplement even if you are familiar with the myths.

It makes a nice contrast with Robert Graves "the Greek Myths", which is more scientifically speculative in a social anthropological kind of way
StrangeBedfellows
A good addition to anyone's mythology collection. I am disappointed by the heavy focus Greco-Roman mythology, since books on that topic are easy to come by, and the sparse attention to Irish mythology. However, there is a nice portion of medieval myths that aren't commonly encountered. Remember, though, that this isn't a modern book, so you'll need to be prepared for that 1700-1800s style of writing, which some other reviewers have remarked as being dry or otherwise unappealing. If you can get b ...more
Harper Kingsley
Oct 03, 2011 Harper Kingsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A very interesting read. A lot of the myths I read elsewhere are completely different than the ones I read elsewhere. I'm not sure which myths are the more prevalent, but the differences were very interesting.

As I like to include some mythology and mythological stories into my writings, I think this will be a very helpful tool. My copy of "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" brings in the whimsical, while "Bulfinch's" bring in a more practical view.
Killian Weber
Jan 10, 2014 Killian Weber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will be a good read to any one who wants to learn about mythology or if you just want to read some thing for fun. In this book there are stories about Greek and Roman gods and King Arthur.
I enjoyed this book because I love Greek mythology especially and I am very interested in mythology and I love medieval times.
Angela Maher
This is a highly comrehensive book, so it's rather long, and took me quite some time to read it. It was great to see so many familiar names and tales presented in their original context. I'm not sure how much of it I really absorbed, but it's a great resource for anyone interested in mythology.
Rachael
Nov 08, 2007 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am I really dorky that this is one of my favorite books, ever? Oh, I just love it. When I was a kid I used to curl up with this and a Granny Smith apple. It was just that fun.
Come on, what ten-year-old shouldn't know the entire Greek and Roman pantheon(s)?
David Oskutis
This is another book that seems daunting in its task of reading. Truth be told, it's really not that bad of a read if broken down into its three parts. The first, the Mythologies, become frustrating when Bulfinch decides to randomly switch from the Greek Gods names to the Roman Gods equivalents, and vice versa. The stories become complicated when 6 Gods and Goddesses are mentioned, but only 3 are actually involved in the story. Before reading that section, it pays to brush up on your character s ...more
Latona and the Rustics 2 9 May 30, 2013 02:35PM
  • The Greek Myths
  • New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World
  • Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Classical Mythology
  • Primitive Mythology (The Masks of God, #1)
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Myths of the Norsemen: From the Eddas and Sagas
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion, Vol 1
  • The Saga of the Volsungs
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends

“Your arrows may strike all things else, Apollo, but mine shall strike you.” 5 likes
“and since here we have passed our lives in love and concord, we wish that one and the same hour may take us both from life, that I may not live to see her grave, nor be laid in my own by her.” 2 likes