Start by marking “Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)

Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Rose Connors brings a fresh voice, a dynamic storytelling power, and a passion for the law to her compelling crime fiction debut.
Martha "Marty" Nickerson is a lawyer who truly loves her job. As an assistant D.A. for Massachusetts's Barnstable County, which includes all the small towns on Cape Cod, she speaks for the victims of crime and their families, and sees the syste...more
Published (first published August 6th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Certainty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Certainty

Jim
Connors writes good legal & court room stuff, very believable, although she often seems to be talking down to the reader. I'm pretty much ignorant of how the actual nuts & bolts of the court system works, so I found some interesting material there. The reader was pretty good, too.

I was very disappointed in the ending. This was a 3 star book until the end & then it lost at least a star. It's a shame, but this author can NOT write action sequences at all. Also, in mysteries like this,...more
Dale Harcombe
The murder that sparks the court case initially was graphic and had me wondering whether I really wanted to read this book. I don’t deal well with graphic. I’m glad I did continue to read. It seems almost an open and shut case when Manuel Rodriguez is brought before the court. Assistant District Attorney Marty Nickerson is convinced he is guilty. But then when a second body murdered in a similar manner turns up, she begins to have some doubts.
The character of Marty, her relationship with her ex...more
Steve Lindahl
We downloaded this book from my local library and burned a CD for a trip we took recently. We were ten hours in the car both ways and this story made the ride seem much shorter.

The book is about Marty Nickerson, an ADA (Assistant District Attorney) in the Cape Cod area. That struck home for me since my son is an ADA in Charlotte, NC. Of course, if he is spending his time tracking down serial murderers he hasn't let his parents know.

One of the things I liked the most about this book was the autho...more
Carl Brookins

A fresh take on the criminal justice system from a true insider with a strong voice. This is an auspicious first novel by a savvy, experienced, trial attorney. Rose Connors has got it all really right: from her tough but vulnerable protagonist, Cape Cod ADA Marty Nickerson, and her completely believable relationship with an ex-husband and a teen-aged son, to a small select cast of interesting supporting characters.

We’re in Barnstable County on Cape Cod when the novel opens and Nickerson is deep...more
Linda
Marty Nickerson is a dedicated prosecutor for the DA’s office on Cape Cod. As this debut novel opens, she is wrapping up a murder case, with absolute certainty that the defendant is guilty. When a similar murder occurs the day after the trial ends, she’s still certain that the state has its man. But public defender Harry Madigan, an attorney whom Mary admires, is convinced the opposite is true. The reader is privy to Ms. Nickerson’s thought process as she sifts and resifts through evidence, cons...more
Susan
There were a lot of very good plot elements that could have made this book very good. And the writing was actually pretty good. Most of the characters were well developed. And then the book just simply fell apart at the end. It became contrived and absurd and stupid. I feel robbed.
Joanne
This was a refreshing new author...I enjoyed the book very much, and I found myself in tears quite a bit as well. Can't say exactly why I gave it a 5, but it sure seemed like a 5 after I was finished. I'm looking forward to future books by Rose Connors...this was her very first book and it was a selection of the Literary Guild, the Book-of-the-Month Club, the Doubleday Book Club and the Mystery Guild.
Kathy
Really more like 3.5. This is a compellingly written mystery and procedural, with details about court system processes that the prosecutor author convincingly provides. I was caught right away and the story held me right to the end. Several characters that I like, hope to meet again. Plot twists that mostly work. Some too-neat resolutions, though. I look forward to reading more.
Bridget
This was a book that I saw on my last trip to the library, and it sounded like something that might be interesting. It was, and it turns out that the author is originally from Philadelphia!

The main character in the book, Martha "Marty" Nickerson, is a divorced mother of a teen-age son who works as an Assistant D.A. for Barnstable County, on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. As the story begins, she is finishing up the trial of Manuel Rodriguez, on trial for murdering a local college student. When Rodrigu...more
Michael
Martha "Marty" Nickerson has prosecuted the case against Manuel Rodriguez for murdering Michael Scott, a college student. The setting is a close knit community in Cape Cod.

With the guilty verdict in, there is a sigh of relief within the community but before Marty can relax, another young man is found murdered. When an autopsy is performed, this body has a Roman numeral II on his chest. Marty is stunned. How could this happen if the killer was already in jail?

In close communities, sometimes the...more
Kellie
-#1 of the Marty Nickerson Series-This book started out average. I love the setting, Cape Cod. I was getting quite annoyed with the main character, Marty, because she wasn’t sticking up for herself. The story line was getting a bit ho hum and then Wam Bam! Around page 250 or so, the story line picked way up. Marty took charge and the story line had much more action. It was a page-turner from then on. I couldn’t put it down. The story is about murder (of course) and the legal side of it. Barnstab...more
judy
This is the first in a series of four and I'm sure I've read at least two of the others. Nice to begin at the beginning. This is a legal thriller with great characters. How can you not love the evil witch assistant DA who is determined to claw her way up? Actually the polite heroine is the least interesting--at first. Over the length of the book she begins to examine her own views and ethics and realizes that the criminal justice system doesn't always live up to what is intended. She amazes hers...more
Stephanie
This is the first in the series of four novels about Martha "Marty" Nickerson, a former prosecutor turned defense lawyer. Although the second of the series is actually the best of the four books, this novel is a must-read for fans of court room drama. What I find particularly appealing about this series, compared to many other books of this genre, is that the author--who spent 18 years as a criminal defense attorney--spends a good deal of time discussing legal procedures (as opposed to laws) and...more
Carla
I listened to this on audio book. I find there are so few effective narrators. This woman tried to change voices whenever she was speaking a man's part. The main character's son was 16 in the story, and whenever the narrator was supposed to be him, she sounded like Bart Simpson. No way a sixteen year old male sounds like that. Sometimes she'd forget that she was supposed to be the main woman speaking again, and she'd still be half using her Bart Simpson male voice, remember in the middle of it,...more
Suzanne
Really enjoyed the audio version of this book. Marty Nickerson is a single mom raising a teenage son, working as an assistant DA in a small town in New England. She courageously fights for justice even if it may not benefit her career at the moment. I hope to read more in this series.
Freyja Vanadis
This book is better than her follow-up to this. At least I didn't give up on reading this book because I thought it was too stupid.
Peg
This book was pretty good. It was well written. I would probably read the next book about Marty but the other three in the series are over $13 on Kindle and it wasn't that good!
Dianna Kemper
Very good mystery, great audiobook reader.
Deb
I was prepared not to like this book I guess because it was an always available free download audiobook from my library's digital catalog. I read a couple of good reviews here on Goodreads and figured I'd go for it. Boy, was I pleasantly suprised to be proven wrong. It was a well thought out suspense story and not utterly predictable like many I've read. I really liked the legal procedural part too. It was just a bonus that it was set on the Cape. Definitely a good summer read. I would certainly...more
Pr Latta
First in the Marty Nickerson legal thriller series, this title sets the scene (and a lovely scene it is, on Cape Cod)for the series and introduces the ongoing characters. Solid on legal procedure, there is less "sleuthing" than in Kate Wilhelm's Barbara Holloway series and much less humor than in Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series. The first person voice fleshes out vivid descriptions of the people and places than make up Chatham, MA. I look forward to the next in the series to see if Connors...more
Betty
Having already read the second book in the series, I had to go back and read the first. It was nice to see how the characters developed into what they were in the second entry. And as a former lawyer, I appreciated Marty's growing disillusionment with the prosecutorial side of the criminal justice system. And I always appreciate a mystery where I totally do not deduce the killer prior to the big reveal.
dmsburns
Good. Kept interest would read another by this author.

Asst district Attorney, Marty Nickerson , helps uncover the real killer with help of public defender she
Proves that the first suspects were mot guilty but were framed by evidence tampering. The murders were serial and of 3 young men 18 to 20 yrs old and had ran numerals carved into their chests
Michelle
No sure that this stands out amongst other good crime writers...but she's definitely in the mix of GOOD ones. This was the first in the series and I look forward to reading more. The main character is a strong and independant career woman who's "soft spots" are her son, and the frustrations of the criminal justice system...hit home for me!
Anya
The best thing for me in this well written novel is the realism Ms. Connors brings from her own life experience as a prosecutor. The suspense and the relationships were well done also.

I will continue to read more of the "Marty Nickerson" series. As a side note, I listened to an mp3 version, and the reader was very good too.
Carrie
The characters in this book are great. Between Marty and her inner dialogue, the Kydd who is a workaholic trying to get ahead, and Geraldine, their chain smoking boss, we all seem to know people exactly like these characters. This makes the book enjoyable, not to mention that the plotline makes you want to keep reading.
Richard Etzel
A great "first time book" I enjoyed it immensely, a truly "page turner" story. Connors bio says that she practiced law for 18 years, accounting for her knowledge of court procedures as well prosecuting and defending people charged with murder. I recommend Absolute Certainty for anyone who enjoys murder mysteries.
Maria
Pulp fiction for sure, but I love the fact that I discovered her in a local bookstore in Chatham, Mass., where she both lives and bases her books. A satisfying, quick read that will have you engrossed in the characters and guessing as to the surprise ending. Plus, you'll be done in two or three days.
Wade
Good story, but a lot comes after "mystery" is solved. It seems more of a setup for book 2 in the series. I do wish there were more clues that would have led readers to predicting whodunit. It was a bit Perry Mason-ish that only Marty could figure it out, and that only happened after seeing it.
Teri Pre
This book was 5 stars right up to the last 10%.

(view spoiler)

There were so many other ways the book could have gone.
  • Heaven Is High (Barbara Holloway #12)
  • Fade To Red
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Abandon (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #6)
  • The Memory Collector (Jo Beckett #2)
  • The Risk Agent (Risk Agent, #1)
  • Kill Switch (Claire Waters, #1)
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2) Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3) False Testimony (Marty Nickerson, #4) The Undomestic Goddess / False Testtimony (Select Editions Large Type) Reader's Digest Select Editions, Volume 282, 2005 #6: No Place Like Home / Twisted / False Testimony / This Dame for Hire