Brave Harriet: The First Woman to Fly the English Channel

Brave Harriet: The First Woman to Fly the English Channel

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  11 reviews
On a clear morning in 1912, Harriet Quimby had a vision--she would become the first woman to fly solo across the English Channel. If she were to veer off course by even five miles, she could end up in the North Sea, never to be heard from again. But she took the risk, anyway.
Bestselling author Marissa Moss and award-winning artist C. F. Payne team up to tell this little-k...more
Published September 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Matthew
This was another great book on Harriet Quimby, though this one is far more concentrated on the crossing of the English Channel. You might compare it with Robert Burleigh's Night Flight or Flight concerning Amelia Earhart's and Charles Lindbergh's crossing of the Atlantic or Don Brown's Ruth Law Thrills a Nation concerning her travels from Chicago to New York. They are all excellent stories. I really liked the illustrations in this one.
Dolly
Apr 16, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We picked this book up at one of our local libraries on impulse. It was part of a display of books for Women's History Month (March). We didn't get around to reading the book until now, but I love sharing books about female aviators with our girls, since I also fly for a living.

I loved learning about a plucky, adventurous woman who is not nearly as well known as Amelia Earhart. It reminds me of books about lesser-known female aviators such as Katherine Stinson Otero: High Flyer and Fly High!: Th...more
JoEllen Mccarthy
I love many of Marissa Moss's biographies about strong women. Her biographies are well written, inform and engage the reader. Moss often researches and uncovers interesting facts or little known details of amazing women from history. I love the author's notes that she often includes. This is a particular favorite w/ students 5thg and up b/c of the historical relevance of Harriet's first across the English Channel. Little know of Harriet's accomplishments, due to the fact that her news was oversh...more
Michiko
Harriet isn't going to allow others to stand in the way of her fulfilling her dreams. Despite the fact that women don't fly planes and no one believes she can do it, she is going to fly the English Channel. A story of a woman who demonstrates not only bravery but also integrity as she breaks down sexist barriers. During a time when women were seen as fragile and weaker than men, Harriet overcomes many social obstacles to achieve her goals. This book could be added to a set on women, women's righ...more
Aimee
I loved this book as told by Harriet Quimby, the first woman to fly across the English Channel. She is the narrator of the story, and upon reading her amazing historical tale I wondered why I had not heard of here before. Well, her feat coincided with another huge historical moment in history, but I'm not going to tell you. You'll have to find out for yourself. :)
Morgan Meyers
This is a wonderful non-fiction book that should be added to the elementary school read aloud collection! The story of Harriet was unknown to me, but was immediately intriguing and fun to read! Not only will the students be able to read about a real event, but they will also have opportunities to process through dreams, occupations, and adventure.
Tracy
May 20, 2009 Tracy added it
Shelves: pioneers
* Pioneers
* First woman to apply for a pilot's licence
* First woman to fly solo over the English Channel
* Harriet Quimbly
* Gravestone "There is No Reason to be Afraid"
Kristen Edge
I like this book because it was true, and showed how determined this woman was.
Tracey
Wow! Neat story!

Making Meaning Grade 3 Resource Kit
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
There's a woman who wants a place in the sky. B
Rita
Rita added it
May 07, 2014
Casie
Casie added it
May 27, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Emily.anne
Emily.anne marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 01, 2013
Jennifer Gilbert
Jennifer Gilbert marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Chesly
Chesly marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Margeaux
Margeaux marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub...more
More about Marissa Moss...
Amelia's Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #1) Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2) Amelia Hits The Road (Amelia's Notebooks, #3) Amelia's 6th-Grade Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #15) Amelia's Boredom Survival Guide (Amelia's Notebooks, #5)