Start by marking “Válečníci (Drenajská sága, #8)” as Want to Read:
Válečníci (Drenajská sága, #8)

Válečníci (The Drenai Saga #8)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  4,438 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
David Gemmell has a talent for fantasy tales of heroism and villainy that feature characters who, while sympathetically flawed, are almost superhumanly good at what they do. Often these people are warriors: finely drawn, emotionally complex, and struggling with their individual human challenges against the backdrop of epic events.

The heroic figures here are three Drenai s

Published 2007 by Perseus (first published April 7th 1997)

Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Probably my second favorite David Gemmell Book after Legend.

Winter Warriors follows the story of three heroes, well past their primes, that must lend their collective prowess to protecting the infant heir to the throne.

A very engaging story with some really good characters. It has much the same theme and feel as Legend, where heroes are shown as being flawed mortal men, and yet made larger than life by their refusal to give up.

Amani Bryant
Sep 04, 2007 Amani Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first contemporary fantasy book I have read that deals heavily with demons without leaving me afraid of the dark. Incredibly well written prose, engaging (I could not put it down), dynamic characters, surprising plotline. This is the first I have read by him, but I'd wager that Gemmel is one of the best when it comes to contemporary fantasy.
Sep 14, 2010 J.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The best David Gemmell starter book you'll find. A quintessential standalone fantasy novel, and one of the best I've ever read.
Robert Chandler
May 18, 2010 Robert Chandler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this at the recommendation of a friend. This was my first Gemmell book and I really enjoyed it. Great stand alone fantasy novel. While the heroes are fairly archetypical I still found them to have depth and complexity. If you're looking for a good action fantasy read then this book is for you. Looking forward to reading more of Gemmell's work
Mar 19, 2011 BookMarc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that, my friends, is a book cover. I love great art on the cover of a novel and, in my mind, Winter Warriors certainly falls into that category. If being picky I would have the bird removed but as it has a significance in the story it's fine where it is.
Winter Warriors is the tale of three ageing warriors who are thrust to the forefront of a fight against demonic forces. Those forces, to be unleashed upon the world in all their evil fury, need the sacrificial blood of three kings. The first
Dec 30, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Like the majority of David Gemmell's books, I originally read this one when I was a kid. It instantly became one of my favorite Gemmell books behind Legend, Waylander, and a few others. After re-reading this book, however, I have to wonder whether this book may have actually been his masterpiece.

Set a couple centuries past the time of Druss, 3 elderly soldiers are being dismissed from the army due to their age. Meanwhile, a demon is trying to open a gateway between the two worlds. The final step
Jul 10, 2011 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, not warriors fighting during a freezing snow covered landscape dealing with the challenges that extreme elements endure, no, this is about warriors on the winter of their lives. Old boys with swords.

Good though.

I might need to say that any book by Gemmell even though I might rate it a 3 is still better most authors I read. Easy page turners.
Jul 24, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heroic-fantasy
One of the later entries in David Gemmell's Drenai series of novels (that started with Legend), set a few centuries(?) after the events of Legend (which - sort of - form a reference point for all his Drenai books).

Perhaps slightly more 'fantastical' (if I can use that word) in nature than his previous Drenai books, with a greater emphasis on magic(k) than I remember than before and with a larger role given to what are commonly known as mythological creatures: in this case, the Demon Riders of th
Apr 04, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This isn't David Gemmell's best book. Perhaps it was a mistake to read this one without having read the preceding Drenai books.

First the good bits: Gemmell describes things well, and his prose is engaging and easy to read. His transitions from one setting to another are very good. I have to admit that I think that there are a few too many fantasy novels with demons in them. But I like the demons in this one (except that the demon characters suffer from the same problem as the human ones).

The pr
Dave van der Kuyp
I don't think there is another writer that can bring this amount of vivid adventure into one small book and make it just as epic as if it were a three-book series. Winter Warriors was a delight to read (for the second time). Each character only had so many pages for an introduction, but damn me straight to hell if it wasn't enough to make me believe in them.

For some reason I haven't quite figured out yet Gemmell had the talent of telling stories that would require three or more books from most
D.E.M. Emrys
Aug 06, 2012 D.E.M. Emrys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two kings are dead – two parts of the prophecy have been fulfilled. The final part, the fate of the third king, rests in the hands of men. Men, who in their prime, stood before the tide of countless battles. But no man had ever stood before a demon.

A queen is hunted by the demons. Though men protect her, they are no longer of their prime. They are not silvered with age, but grey, worn and weary. Three men, heroes of their time. Nogusta the Swordsman, Kebra the Bowman, and Bison the brute.
The ch
Andrea Bampi
Aug 02, 2016 Andrea Bampi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undeservingly underrated, this eighth installment in the Drenai Series features a bunch of brand new heroes (and villains) and some slight but interesting adjustments to the classic Gemmell's thematics and is definitely worth reading. Don't expect anything revolutionary, anyway - it's still Gemmell, with all his blood-drenched epic fantasy, his worn-out tormented heroes, his not-so-manichean struggle between good and evil. Exactly what you should expect from him, with full satisfaction...
Jeff Crosby
Sep 02, 2016 Jeff Crosby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, ibooks
This is the first Gemmell novel I have read in a decade. Like most of his later works, there is more of an edge and grittiness. However, as I finished the first chapter I was reminded of why I like his books so much.
Mar 22, 2013 Iz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, the last chapter is the one that I am most looking forward to, because the whole story is answered and resolved in it. That is such a skill. I loved the characters - my favourite being Bison and Kebra....honor, and trust, love and's all here. Gemmell is a force to be reckoned with.
Jan 17, 2015 Dominic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter Warriors is a standalone epic fantasy from one of the greats of the genre. It forms part of David Gemmell’s collection of Drenai books, so those familiar with these works will recognise some of the lands and histories mentioned, but there’s absolutely no prior knowledge of the other books required in order to read and enjoy this one. Every so often it’s nice to be able to pick up a fantasy novel that’s not part of a trilogy (or more) but that still gives you a compelling story and charact ...more
Joshua Simon
3.5 stars. Probably my least favorite book so far in the Drenai Saga, barely edging out Quest for Lost Heroes. There were some good moments, but overall I felt the plot never really came together and the ending was sort of flat for me.

I will say there were some great characters, as usual. However, not enough time was spent with them. For example, Antikas didn't come really get any depth until the very end so his development and importance felt rushed. Nogusta and Kebra were both solid character
Mar 28, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My favourite Gemmell, though I'm a long way from having read his full bibliography. This book has much more magic than earlier books in the Drenai series, and I think it helps. The evil comes across as more malevolent and it increases tension when you realise just how over matched the heroes are. I mean, the heroes are always over matched in Gemmell novels, that's his modus operandi, but they are over matched on a personal level here, not just by pure numbers.
Mahdi Mehrnegar
May 19, 2015 Mahdi Mehrnegar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gemmell
کتاب خوبی بود و جزو بهترین های این مجموعه. داستان و شخصیت ها جدید بودن و حال و هوای تازه ای داشت.
نمیدونم چرا گمل دوست نداره نسلی از قهرمان های کتابش باقی بمونه؟ هیچ کدوم از شخصیت های اصلی کتابها(تا این جلد 8 بچه ندارن!). خوبی کارهاش هم اینه که تا آخر داستان نمیدونی کی زنده میمونه و چه اتفاقی قراره بیافته. همچنان موضوع دفاع تم اصلی داستان هاست.
Mayank Agarwal
Normally would rate it a 3 but being my least favorite of Drenai Series yet gave it a 2.

Gemmell books are page turner as they are easy to read and the stories are always fast paced. This is no exception where it differs from other Drenai novels are their being much more magic focus and the missing of central awe inspiring figure. Also didn't like the ending with the demons. Felt it made the whole book loose it purpose.
Jordan Maywood
Feb 19, 2014 Jordan Maywood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to hear an idiot review this on his podcast!?

Well I do here:

No Gusta BeyBey King

We (and that's the podcast we) travel once again into the world created by Mr. David Gemmell. A Fitting title for the global warming caused weather freakishness here recently in Canada, I discuss:

Winter Warriors by David Gemmell

Oct 18, 2015 Base rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apr 18, 2015 Wolfdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pal
Que peut faire une bande de veillards quand leur monde est menacé par des démons ? Facile, sauver la reine et botter des culs.
On suit l'histoire de quelques soldats d'un régiment tout entier bon pour la retraite (de l'avis de tout le monde) qui doivent malheureusement sauver leur monde. Cela se fait dans le sang, avec un poil de philosophie, une touche appropriée d'humour et même un peu d'émotion.
A lire donc !!
Angel Alfonso
Gemmell was a good writer, and a great reader of souls. "Winter Warriors" is not his most well-rounded novel, but is a good yarn and shows all the traits that made him great.

The old warriors of Skanda's army are being sent home to Drenai. They still think they can fight, but the Emperor has decided a new era is beginning and for his news invasions he needs new blood. What he doesn't know is that demons are surrounding the city of Usa and that they have a clear purpose in mind. Three of the old w
Univers 15/20
Intrigue : 15,5/20
Style :17/20
Personnages : 18/20
Note finale : 16/20

En dépit de plusieurs défauts témoignant que l’auteur voulait tenter quelque chose de plus avancé ou s’éloigner de sa recette, les guerriers de l’hiver reste malgré tout une aventure toujours émouvante dont les moments épiques sont puissants. Le trio de héros porte ce récit à bout de bras et le lecteur en ressort presque satisfait, si le rythme était là.
J’espère que ce défaut n’apparaîtra pas dans les romans suivan
Mar 18, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first David Gemmell novel. A friend gave it to me as part of a cleaning out process at his house. Overall, I enjoyed it but I feel that I likely would have benefited from reading the previous books in chronological order. This is book 10 of the 11-book Drenai series, and there are allusions to past events on a semi-regular basis that I probably would have gotten more out of with the experience of the previous books.

As is, the main characters are all interesting, the action is enjoyab
Ahmad Sharabiani
Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8), David Gemmell
Oct 04, 2016 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Winter Warriors is another stand-alone book in the Drenai saga, and it is, chronologically, the last one before 'The Damned' sub-series. It is set several decades after Quest for Lost Heroes but, I would say, it can easily stand on its own as Gemmell has made a very beautiful story, taking us into the future, in a world with great wizards, incredible demons and legendary heroes.

Long ago Emsharas, a Windborn sorcerer, banished his race and all the demons to the great Void. But it has been
Oct 16, 2016 Radan rated it really liked it
Takove lehkonohe cteni, ale Gemmel si udrzuje kvalitu a nezklame.
Oct 22, 2016 Dustman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dustman
Great read. Not the end I expected but still a great one.
David Fransen
Oct 27, 2016 David Fransen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites....Gemmell's books always turn inconsequential players into unlikely heroes. His characters are always colorful, even those who are painted black. Personalities are deep and well sculptured. And within the storylines are lessons for all readers to learn and perhaps use in everyday life situations. Gemmell never fails to satisfy.....Winter Warriors goes near the top of the list.
Fantasy Book Club...: Winter Warriors-Drenai #8 12 24 Aug 17, 2015 08:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Publish Date [Winter Warriors] 2 17 Mar 25, 2013 12:35PM
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Le prophète blanc (L'assassin royal, #7)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Center of the Circle
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • Tetrarch: A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #2)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)