Start by marking “The Legend of Mariquita and Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Mariquita and Other Short Stories

The Legend of Mariquita and Other Short Stories

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the mountainous villages of deep Southern Mexico, a childless woman makes a desperate wish upon a ladybug. Soon, Mariquita is born. Mariquita carries with her the hope and happiness passed on to her by the colorful insect, but at what sacrifice?

This story explores faith, family, and sacrifice in a way that is uplifting to all. In the Spirit of 'The Education of Little
Published 2008 by Endsley Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Mariquita and Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Mariquita and Other Short Stories

More soon but I wanted to get this out there now that I have given this book a well-deserved 5-star!

BEAUTIFUL. Just EXQUISITE prose. I am finding myself deep in reflection about the beautiful stories Matthew J. Rosas has told in this short book containing just a few pieces of Mexican lore....

I am especially touched as a mother of magical children who have wild and vivid imaginations. Everything is especially tangible also since we are currently living in Mexico....the "Motherland" as we like to
This was a short collection of stories either taking place in Mexico or with Mexican main characters. The prose was clear and simple enough for older children to understand, yet detailed enough for an adult to enjoy. The stories have the common theme of adults caring for children, and all within the context of Mexican culture and folklore. The beauty of the stories was in the details. Such care was taken to describe various events and settings, and through this care taken in telling the stories, ...more
I am honored to have received a book from the author and loved everything about the short stories. I usually like to read a story, contemplate it...sleep on it so it fully envelopes my mind...but I couldnt put the book down. All three stories were thoughtfully written. I truly feel like these are real people. I am convinced Mariquita is a real Saint! :) Such beautiful insight into women's souls...from a man!
Maybe because I am also Catholic and part Mexican I could identify with some of the spiri
I truly enjoyed this gentle story of young Mariquita, a tiny dark-haired girl with “a tap of red dabbed on her cheeks,” and of the love and the sacrifices of her parents, as she grows up in a remote Mexican village. Two other short stories in this collection create a unifying thread— young girls, cherished by their elders—parents, grandparents, a caregiver—who work hard so that these children may have the necessities they need to live and love that will sustain them.
I won this book through first reads, and could not wait to read it! I spent some time living in southern Mexico, so I always enjoy reading books set in that area!

I was not at all disappointed after reading this collection!!!! The author has an amazing voice that rings very true in the telling of these beautiful regional stories.

My only wish is that this book was longer!! I was so sad when it was over.
This book is probably best read by young people. The text is simple and a little bit halting in the way it's written, however the stories are interesting enough to over come the slightly staccato rhythm in the way they're written.
The Legend of Mariquita told a wonderful tale of a young girl. It was somewhat simply written, so even children in upper elementary grades could read it easily and enjoy the story.
Matthew Rosas
i may be slightly biased, but as the author I put my soul into the story. Fans of The Education of Little Tree will enjoy! Please give it a try, and let me know your thoughts:)
I won this book in the first reads giveaway.

This is a nice quick read. The short simple stories would be good to read to a child.
Ayen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Datu Jaylomer
Datu Jaylomer marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2010
Ilka marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2009
Mie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2009
Tracey marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2009
Lin marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2009
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2009
Michelle Lemaster
Michelle Lemaster marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2009
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2009
Kristina Jo
Kristina Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2009
S. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2009
Dorlana marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2009
Jenna marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2009