Start by marking “Finder: Dream Sequence” as Want to Read:
Finder: Dream Sequence

Finder: Dream Sequence (Finder #5)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Preternatural beauty, sublime vistas, starlit groves? Elsewhere is a place you can taste and smell and touch. Elsewhere is far more real than the stifling workaday world, and it's all in Magri White's head. Thousands daytrip to Elsewhere to Escape and explore. But beware, tourist: something that Magri did not call up is roaming this Dreamland. A limb-ripping shape-shifter ...more
192 pages
Published 2003

To ask other readers questions about Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finder

Chadwick
Jul 03, 2007 Chadwick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of sci fi comics, i guess
Shelves: comics
Carla Speed McNeil doesn't always hit on all cylinders, but I never fail to be drawn in by the richness of her world. Finder works for me best when it focuses on Jaeger, and this volume does not. Jaeger's appearance in it is puzzling at best. I'm sure that all will be revealed in time, but this volume doesn't really do it for me as well as the others.
Jonathan Towne
This story is the subject of a messy debate between myself and a friend of mine.

In Dream Sequence, Carla Speed McNeil creates a world where massive online RPGs have intersected with brain-machine interfaces, resulting in online communities where players live their virtual lives. One such community is Elsewhere. Elsewhere is the creation of Magri White, who is prone to wandering around the city, lost in the world he is constantly creating and maintaining. Since White is so good at envisioning th
Fox
Finder never disappoints. Dream Sequence ends up being a discussion of the difference between virtual reality and real life - and more, the question of originality. How much of a person goes into what they write, and can any work be anything but derivative? When critiquing something - how much did the author truly intend, or is the reviewer writing something that's more like fanfiction? A lot of high brow questions, a lot of interesting thoughts. It's just a fascinating read.

The artwork, likewis
Allan
Weird and delightful story about a young man with a special talent. He keeps an entire virtual world going inside his mind. He's always connected to the network, so people from all over spend time in the huge world he's providing. It kind of takes its toll on him, though...and unpleasant things start happening in the world he thought he controlled completely. Very interesting stuff about creativity, art, how our minds might work. Very well drawn, with the art contributing essential qualities to ...more
Genevra Littlejohn
As the title would suggest, this is dreamlike and strange. Finder is the only one of its kind, as a series. Nothing else in the comics market comes close to tasting like it does. Set in a society which has re-industrialized after a several-thousand-year dark age, this particular book is the story of a man with a world in his head, and of the people who play in it. How many years could you go without sleep, if a million people housed themselves in your mind while you daydreamed? Eventually someth ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Carla Speed McNeil won me over with "Talisman", an enchanting tale about the power of fiction and the wonder of its creation. The same themes are further explored in "Dream Sequence" a surreal and experimental journey into the subconscious.

Tone and content form a good union in a story that takes place within the mind of one character; a mind accessible for all. The quirky concept is played well, with just the right mix of irony and compelling symbolism.
eva
i miss a lot of plot details in finder despite the interesting & extensive footnotes, which is kind of frustrating. not sure whether it's my fault or the writing. i enjoy the characters & stories anyway. mcneil's art is wonderful & gets better with time - consistently one of my favorites in comics. nice thematic progression from the previous volume.
Brian
Brilliant well constructed speculative fiction of the future with amazing internal cohesiveness. Believable characters dealing with everyday issues not seen in real life or other fiction.
Korynn
Beautifully drawn complex story about a world that can be tapped through the web in one man's mind and how he is forced to confront his issues with himself in the worst possible way.
K T
More scifi and self-contained than the other volumes I picked up. still too much psychological symbolism for my taste, but a compelling plot.
Miramira Endevall
Far and away the most fascinating thing I've read this year.
Amanda Coppedge
Reread in 2010
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Amy Ratcliffe
Amy Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Finder (10 books)
  • Finder, Vol. 01: Sin-Eater 1
  • Finder, Vol. 02: Sin-Eater 2
  • Finder, Vol. 03: King of the Cats
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • Finder: Mystery Date
  • Finder Volume 7: The Rescuers (Finder, 7)
  • Finder, Vol. 08: Five Crazy Women
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • Finder: Third World
Finder Library Volume 1 Bad Houses Finder, Vol. 01: Sin-Eater 1 Finder, Vol. 09: Voice Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman