Start by marking “West Of Honor” as Want to Read:
West Of Honor

West Of Honor (Falkenberg's Legion b)

Sooner or later, all civilizations age and decline, grow senile and die—either by conquest from without, or from internal rot. The final days of Western Civilization are signaled by the joining of the USA and the USSR into a ruthless and imperial state that spans first the Earth and then the Solar System. But, because it fails to hold the loyalty of its soldiers, it falter ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Baen Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about West Of Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West Of Honor

Jim
Nov 18, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, 2fiction, action, 1paper, war
One of the John Falkenberg, CoDominium books. Not what I was expecting as I'd gotten it confused with another after all these years. Actually, I didn't remember this much at all, but it's probably been over 30 years since I last read it. I enjoyed it quite a lot. It raises a wonderful moral dilemma for the armed services, diplomacy, & Colonial government. Better, it does it in a fast moving, action packed story with likeable characters. Even the bad guys aren't... well, read the book. it's a ...more
Oso Takano
Jan 16, 2013 Oso Takano rated it it was amazing
I first read this book as a teenager. I don't remember if I read it, serialized in a magazine, or if I read it as a book. I re-read it today, forty years later. I thought this was a good book, but then I enlisted, and spent 28 years in the Military.
Now, I know it is a GREAT book, and something that certainly should be mandatory reading for every young man or woman who wants to be an officer candidate - Academy, ROTC or OTS. I was ten years enlisted before I went to OTS, and I've learned all the
David
May 16, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
On the planet of Arrarat, the decidedly low tech folks who are struggling with making a simple living on the planet have been invaded by convict gangs. J.C. Falkenberg and his brand new 501st Line Marine unit made up of newly minted officers, some veteran non-coms and mostly new recruits had been sent to garrison the place and keep the peace. Harlan Slater is the narrator, a new Lt fresh from the CoDomimium academy, he joined the Marines to avoid the legal problems he had gotten into on Earth.

T
Jack Chapman
Jun 22, 2012 Jack Chapman rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
West of Honor (is there a clue in the title?) starts as a Space Western. In an anti-technology future on a frontier planet struggling ranchers are menaced by marauding bandits. The Marines (read US Cavalry) are sent to restore order.

Sounds standard space opera, but Jerry Pournelle is an intelligent and thoughtful writer, there's a whole lot more to the story than these basics. Deriving it's impetus from the 'military sf' genre - which Pournelle, if he didn't invent, certainly took to prominence
Jason
Jun 25, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Faljenberg's Legion (which included this story) was one of my favorite books when I was a teenager. It played a part in my idealism that led me to enlisting in the infantry when I turned 17.

25 years later it's still a good story. As with some the books by Pournelle, as well as other sci fi stories of the era, the role if women is outdated. Still, it seems to predict some other themes in other works.

In Joss Whedon's Firefly, we see space ships and horses side by side. In West of Honor, Lt. Slate
Michael
Mar 12, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
An older book--from the 70s, I think--about a junior Marine officer's first tour of duty off-world. Written near the end of the Cold War, the author (Jerry Pournelle) imagines a future where America and the Soviet Union create a 'Codominium" in outer space and rule over a vast empire of planets with an iron fist. I love military sci-fi, and this one is a lot of fun. I had not heard of this series before, and I am looking forward to reading the rest of them.
DaveA
Dec 02, 2010 DaveA rated it really liked it
This is a very good space-military adventure book, the first in a series with John Falkenberg. Pournelle has a great knack of making military adventures understandable and enjoyable to non-military types, but this is not on the same par as Legacy of the Heorot. The book is too short to really develop much empathy to the characters. Still, it's well worth the read.

This was my first e-book read.
bebabi34

jerry pournelle
il pianeta dell'onore
Avram Davidson
Mr. Rob't E. Hoskins
Ian
Jun 17, 2011 Ian rated it really liked it
Well written Pournelle, very well written. But, the story—the elites of both the west and east have screwed the world into a mediocre fascist pseudo-state, then they not solve the problems they themselves caused by killing lots of people. Perhaps if the soldiers turned their weapons on their commanding officers and then went home, things would be better?
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
Richard
May 07, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Ak máte radi military sci-fi a z nejakého dôvodu ste zatiaľ minuli Falkenberga, jednoznačne odporúčam.
bluetyson
West Of Honor by Jerry Pournelle (2000)
Karthik
Aug 10, 2013 Karthik rated it liked it
Regular military novel set in the future. Not too many really strong science fiction elements as such story set in other planet and a future time.
Gordon
May 09, 2012 Gordon rated it it was amazing
recommended to my by one of my Sargents years ago. Some of the comments and things described are "been there done that". Which lead to the credibility of the story.
Daniel Reese
Mar 07, 2014 Daniel Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good sci first military fiction.

having read this before I wanted to pick up a copy for my kindle. it is an older book but still good. great intro to the condominium.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
When Harlequin (the romance publisher) branched into science fiction"," this was one of the few books in their series worth reading.
Keith Bell
Aug 30, 2011 Keith Bell rated it liked it
First book I've read on my Nook. OK story but great reading experience.
colleen
Shelves: scifi
1983 grade C+

series book M1
Dan Bieger
Dan Bieger rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Richard Irwin
Richard Irwin rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Stephen Brewster
Stephen Brewster rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Jose
Jose rated it liked it
May 16, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Jewel Hefner
Jewel Hefner rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Les Boyd
Les Boyd rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2017
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Brad Ragan
Brad Ragan rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Ming
Ming rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Madison Mega-Mara...: "West of Honor" by Jerry Pournelle 1 1 May 13, 2014 08:26AM
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • The Multiplex Man
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • A Logic Named Joe
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Paying the Piper
  • Great Kings' War
  • Earthweb
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • Planetfall
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Rats, the Bats & the Ugly  (The Rats and the Bats, #2)
Dr Jerry Eugene Pournelle is an American science fiction writer, engineer, essayist, and journalist, who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte, and has since 1998 been maintaining his own website and blog.

From the beginning, Pournelle's work has centred around strong military themes. Several books describe the fictional mercenary infantry force known as Falkenberg's Legion. Ther
More about Jerry Pournelle...

Falkenberg's Legion (7 books)
  • The Mercenary
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion #3)
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion #4)