Start by marking “Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)” as Want to Read:
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)

Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  74,032 ratings  ·  3,908 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that the town is run by vampires.
Published October 2006 by San Val (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Houses, please sign up.

Lee its an excellent series and can be enjoyed by all ages,
speaking as someone who wishes she still 24, its well
written and not a bit child like. Its a…more
its an excellent series and can be enjoyed by all ages,
speaking as someone who wishes she still 24, its well
written and not a bit child like. Its a very popular series
among grown ups its how I first heard about it.
finished the last one of the books early last year and
have made a point of buying them when I have seen
them on offer or in charity shops just started a re-read
and its as good this time round. I also read and enjoyed
the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series(less)
Angel Trent This series is complete. It has fifteen books.

Emily May
pg 15:

"What normal girl loved physics? Abnormal ones. Ones who were not ever going to be hot. And face it, being hot? That was what life was all about."

Yeah, well, no thanks. Abandoned.

Aug 17, 2010 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love TSTL heroines
OK, I tried reading it, I just can't buy into the premise

Claire Danvers is a prodigy student. At 16, she is a university freshman and having awful dorm problems. In fact, in the first chapter, she is beaten by a group of mean girls, thrown down the stairs, and warned that she would be killed next time she is seen around the campus. She is unconscious for a while, and when she is found by another student, nobody calls the police. Even the campus doctor who checks Claire's many bruises, split lip
Alright, so let's do this hmm? Please excuse my language. -___-

Oh my How is I mean what?! Claire, Claire dear child WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SO STUPID?! I'm sorry let me explain.

- Girl goes to school, encounters psycho ass bullies. they make fun of her.
- Girl gets punched and pushed down the stairs; suffers injuries. She meets up with them again in class, THEY POUR SOME FUCKING ACID CRAP ON HER BACK!
Friends tell her TO STAY AWAY. Girl thinks she's fucking invincible and ignores.

- Girl encounters
I am absolutely in love with this series! For me, it is a really big shame that i did not find it sooner.
There is a lot that i could say about this first book in the series, and believe me i would if i could, but i would probably never stop talking and i would go over the word limit for reviews.
First of all the story kicked off to a really good start. It was a thrilling and exciting first chapter. When i opened the book i saw that the chapters were like 20-30 pages long. For me, i was really wor
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Good To Be Different Stars

I first read the Morganville Vampires series about four years ago, at the beginning of my experience with Paranormal and Urban-Fantasy. At the time I though Twilight and The House of Night were THE SHIT so this wasn't my favorite because it's much darker. But now, 4 years later, I still like this when I can't even stand to read the first book of the other two series.

The Morganville Vampires series has its problems. The writing needs a little effort to like and Clair
Some might really like the story, but there were too many times the plot read as if it was tossed together like a bad salad & cheap tricks were used to get our heroine in & out of trouble. Worse, new issues & fixes magically appear/disappear, while parents conveniently do the same. Worst of all, the end is a super cliff hanger, the kind that screams "Read my next book or you're doomed to never know how it turns out."

It's a shame. The book had some redeeming features & could have
For anyone looking for good, brainless, PG-13 rated vampire fun, this is probably the book for you. The author has a straightforward writing style and tells a straightforward story about an unpopular girl who gets the short end of the stick in a town ruled by vampires, until she makes some oh my god like totally cool and hottt friends. (Yes, "hot" needs three t's--one for each friend.)

The book has a slightly juvenile tone, which is ironic since the main character--a brainiac who is sixteen years
Keryl Raist
So let's talk a little about young adult paranormal fiction. Let's talk a little about suspension of disbelief.

For the fantasy writer, suspension of disbelief is your best friend. Your job as an author is to do such a good job creating your world so your reader thinks, "Vampires, werewolves, things that go bump in the night, sure, I buy it!"

There are lots of ways to go about doing this, but part of the bedrock of a good set up is that it's completely believable. Part of what makes good horror an
⇠ ⇢* Sophie
Title: Glass Houses
Series: The Morganville Vampires (book #1)
Author: Rachel Caine

What to expect:

Morganville is a college town in Texas where there lives as normal people, but evil too; student Clare Danvers moves off campus to one of the most mysterious houses where one of her roommates has a dark secret, at the end they'll be there for Clare no matter what.

Where should I start? God bless your soul Rachel Caine!!! I truly can't believe this book took out my breath, it's been a w
Wow! I really, really liked this book! I don't know why it took me so long to start reading them, but I can tell you that once you don't want to stop!

If you want an action packed vampire/ghost read with a couple of HOT roommates(Shane and Michael) than this book is it. I also need to mention the other roommate, Eve, who likes the whole Goth thing.

Claire Danvers is enrolled in college rearly due to her academic achievements. She's 16, nearly 17 which she likes to remind people. Her
Hahahaha, I seriously don't remember anything about this book. I devoured this in two days and there was this godforsaken cliffhanger, but I really liked the story. I also liked Claire's roommates and what they stood for, all with their dirty little secrets. They were by far the most interesting characters in the book.

I'll definitely read the second book because I have to know what happens. Stupid, ruddy cliffhanger.

Claire is a sixteen year old brainiac, already in College. She got accepted to MIT and Yale, but her parents didn’t let her go because they were too far from home (huh?), so she ended up in Morganville, Texas.

Being a brainiac means of course that she’s abnormal. She likes physics. What normal girl likes physics? (huh?)

She gets badly beaten by a group of mean girls at campus who threaten to kill her. However, that doesn’t mean that she’ll call her parents and request a school change, because a qu
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
That was so much fun, I seriously loved it. If you're a fan of The Vampire Diaries (the show, not sure about the books since I haven't read them) I think you will love this because it has a lot of the same elements:
vampires? OBVIOUSLY.
hot guys? CHECK.
action-packed ass-kicking? LOTS.
crazy twists and turns? YUP.
I seriously want to start a campaign to get this series made into a show. I'm really excited to start the next book in the series.
Kwesi 章英狮
After reading Twilight, I can't forgive myself of buying the expensive hardback set and for the punishment I won't read any paranormal books or vampire related books. But after I met this girl in Goodreads she recommended a lot of young adult paranormal books and I was like Huh?, no idea of the books she mentioned.

I met her last December, face-to-face, and I'm glad she include one of her vampire books. No doubt I grab it and hide it, I know nobody is interested in reading the book except me, the
Heather G Gentle
I found this one quite entertaining and engaging. More so than I expected to. I thought the story was an interesting concept and I love that the ending left me wanting to delve right into the next one-- literally ending in the middle of an action scene.

I really like Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael as characters and I'm eager to see what happens to them next! I wish Claire wasn't quite so young-- I think that would be a little easier to swallow although nothing unsavory happened.

There were quite
Wow, what a beginning. This story, these characters; they've totally hooked me.

It is another vampire story, but it doesn't seem rehashed to me at all. Maybe it was the characters, the creepy twists, or just the fantastic narrative voice.

Claire Danvers is having a heck of a time at her crummy dorm. A smart, ordinary girl trying to rough it at her Texas college away from home, she is constantly harassed, sometimes to the point of serious injury, by the vicious cliques of popular girls. So when s
Lisa D. Smith (Lissa Smith Reads)
I know my reviews are usually non-descriptive this one may obtain spoilers in my rant. However, do not get me wrong I enjoyed the book and the colorful cast of Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve and the turmoil that seems to find them.
It took me forever to locate this series. I was shocked to find this series in the YA section of my local library. Everyone that had recommended the series to me was adult. I was expecting something completely different. After reading the first Chapter, I was shocked;
This was a really quick, fun read and whilst it may not have technically ticked all the boxes I enjoyed it immensely. It's engaging, dark and tense, kind of 'Mean Girls' meets supernatural world.

Claire is a 16 year old brainiac attending college in Morganville Texas, a small town where vampires rule the roost, and there's nothing 'nice' about these vamps. When Claire gets on the wrong side of Monica, queen bitch bee of college, and her life is threatened she desperately seeks off-campus housing
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
3.5 It was cute stars

So, I'm not sure if I've ever divulged this on Goodreads, but my career goal is to one day become a Young Adult Librarian. Because of this I try to read a wide range of YA so I know what to recommend to teens. Glass Houses is one of the books that I normally wouldn't read, but decided to anyway. You know, for the teens ;-)

Glass Houses is about Claire, a teenage genius who finds herself in college at the young age of sixteen. Claire is being bullied in the dorms by some fai
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Why Glass Houses is a good book and you should give it a try

Let me start by giving thanks to my dear friend Alk who forced me to give this book a try. If it weren’t for her I wouldn’t have given this book a second glance. You can probably blame it on the cover and on all those negative reviews that are going around Goodreads.

Speaking of which, I need to clear out a few things. There are many people in my Goodreads friend list who absolutely love this book. And there are others who loathe the mer
Abigail the Fangirl
I'm addicted. It's official... I LOVE THE MORGANVILLE VAMPIRES. I need to admit something though.. I am awful at sticking to series... But I truly believe that I will read all of the books in this one. I loved the characters, plot, and everything else involved in this delicious book.
Colleen Houck
I really like the whole idea of the glass house and the protection it offers. I think I'm pretty much Team Michael. Love the head vampire lady. The scenes she was in were really riveting!
Η πλοκή είναι αφελέστατη, αλλα η ιστορία είναι διασκεδαστική, οπότε περνάει αρκετά ευχαριστα η ωρα! Αυτά!
I am hooked on the Morganville Vampire series! No, no, no... you don't understand... that's not a good thing. Now I'm compelled to run off and invest in the other 6 books that are waiting for me at the bookstore! Very much a predicament when you have so many unread books sitting on your bookshelf, but that's just how good this series is. It's the kind of book that clears a path on your TBR list and shoots straight to the top. I loved it!

The characters were engaging and interesting, the writing
There's math to these stars.
Here goes:
+1 for being written by Rachel Caine, right off the bat. I genuinely enjoyed Ill Wind; it was a creative, rip-roaring five-chapter venture into a new kind of urban fanatasy, and it was cool. I didn't even mind the hot tub scenes, and the ending was acceptable. I've also read one of Ms. Caine's short stories set in Morganville, in an anthology, and thought it was interesting and that I'd like to know more about the series.
+1 for rendering fairly logical vampi
Jessica Saylor
If you love books that have dangerous vampires around every corner, a quick moving and realistic plot, and characters that will have you packing up your home to move in next door to them, then you will love Glass Houses. Heck, even if you don't love all of those things, I'm pretty sure you'll love Glass Houses.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! How did I not pick this series up sooner?

I fell in love with this series after the very first page, and I'm not entirely sure wh
I just started this series, they're really good, but not for younger readers.
When Is tarted this book I was instantly hooked. Rachel Caine does an amazing job of capturing you and not letting you go. Ever. Even with the last chapter, last page, last words you are left on the edge of your seat ,breathless, screaming in anticipation. Every turn of the page you get a new twist a new character or a new action packed thrilling advanture.Not only was the story exciting and fun to read but cliff hangers...OMG! Can you say torture? The ending leaves you hanging, drooling to know ...more
Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

I’m re-reading this series in preperation for my meeting with Rachel Caine this week (tomorrow – eek!) and I couldn’t be more happier to dive back into the world of Morganville. Seriously, this series is painstakingly good. If, like me, you’re sick of vampires, be sure to check this one out before you give up on the genre all together. You won’t be disappointed!

I first read Glass Houses back in 2007 and was immediately hooked with both the story and Rachel Caine’s work in general. It’s safe t
A Million More Pages: 1 - Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires): Dec 19 57 33 Feb 07, 2015 08:25PM
You know you're a Morganville fan when... 25 114 Nov 07, 2014 08:04PM
Michael & Claire 19 65 Nov 06, 2014 03:42PM
The Not-So Austen...: Morganville Vampires ~ Web Series Is Up! 1 15 Nov 02, 2014 02:24AM
Tv series 71 196 Jun 16, 2014 11:15AM
Micheal Or. Shane 26 70 Apr 21, 2014 11:07AM
Shane or Michael ....? 1 10 Apr 21, 2014 11:02AM
  • Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles, #4)
  • Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • Ritual (Vampire Beach, #3)
  • Rogue (Shifters, #2)
  • Frostbite: The Graphic Novel (Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)

The Morganville Vampires (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)
  • Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)
Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)

89 trivia questions
11 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Damn, Claire. Warn a guy before you do a face-plant on the floor next time. I could have looked all heroic and caught you or something -Shane” 2429 likes
“Scoot over, man. I don't like you that much."
"Dick. That's not what you said last night."
"Bite me.”