Start by marking “Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)” as Want to Read:
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)

Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  79,769 Ratings  ·  4,129 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that the town is run by vampires.
Published October 2006 by San Val (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Houses, please sign up.

Lee its an excellent series and can be enjoyed by all ages,
speaking as someone who wishes she still 24, its well
written and not a bit child like. Its a…more
its an excellent series and can be enjoyed by all ages,
speaking as someone who wishes she still 24, its well
written and not a bit child like. Its a very popular series
among grown ups its how I first heard about it.
finished the last one of the books early last year and
have made a point of buying them when I have seen
them on offer or in charity shops just started a re-read
and its as good this time round. I also read and enjoyed
the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series(less)
Jen Z I picked up the paperback and knew I'd like it after reading the first couple of pages. If you want escapist fun with an interesting premise, give it…moreI picked up the paperback and knew I'd like it after reading the first couple of pages. If you want escapist fun with an interesting premise, give it a try. The characters are original enough to keep it interesting. Again, my objective -fun escapism- was thorougly satisfied. I read most of the books in the series, the quality and novelty wears off as the books go along. At least that's what happened from my point of view. Mostly I remember a lot of suspense and that fun immersed feeling. The vampire character Myrnin is a blast. Love him. I'm starting to remember just how much fun I had reading these. . .(less)

Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)

I’m re-reading this series in preperation for my meeting with Rachel Caine this week (tomorrow – eek!) and I couldn’t be more happier to dive back into the world of Morganville. Seriously, this series is painstakingly good. If, like me, you’re sick of vampires, be sure to check this one out before you give up on the genre all together. You won’t be disappointed!

I first read Glass Houses back in 2007 and was immediately hooked with both the story and Rachel Caine’s work in general. It’s safe t
This is the start of a fun fantasy/horror series from the author of the Weather Warden books. In fact, I'm enjoying these even more.

Our protag, 16-year-old early-graduate Claire, moves to Morganville, Tx for college at a small liberal arts school because her parents want her closer to home. She clashes with the entitlement-and-snobbery of the local in crowd led by the mayor's daughter. When things escalate to physical attacks she looks for off-campus housing.

So she moves into the Glass House, h
Heather G Gentle
Oct 14, 2008 Heather G Gentle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this one quite entertaining and engaging. More so than I expected to. I thought the story was an interesting concept and I love that the ending left me wanting to delve right into the next one-- literally ending in the middle of an action scene.

I really like Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael as characters and I'm eager to see what happens to them next! I wish Claire wasn't quite so young-- I think that would be a little easier to swallow although nothing unsavory happened.

There were quite
For anyone looking for good, brainless, PG-13 rated vampire fun, this is probably the book for you. The author has a straightforward writing style and tells a straightforward story about an unpopular girl who gets the short end of the stick in a town ruled by vampires, until she makes some oh my god like totally cool and hottt friends. (Yes, "hot" needs three t's--one for each friend.)

The book has a slightly juvenile tone, which is ironic since the main character--a brainiac who is sixteen years
Some might really like the story, but there were too many times the plot read as if it was tossed together like a bad salad & cheap tricks were used to get our heroine in & out of trouble. Worse, new issues & fixes magically appear/disappear, while parents conveniently do the same. Worst of all, the end is a super cliff hanger, the kind that screams "Read my next book or you're doomed to never know how it turns out."

It's a shame. The book had some redeeming features & could have
Aug 17, 2010 Tatiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love TSTL heroines
OK, I tried reading it, I just can't buy into the premise

Claire Danvers is a prodigy student. At 16, she is a university freshman and having awful dorm problems. In fact, in the first chapter, she is beaten by a group of mean girls, thrown down the stairs, and warned that she would be killed next time she is seen around the campus. She is unconscious for a while, and when she is found by another student, nobody calls the police. Even the campus doctor who checks Claire's many bruises, split lip
Dec 01, 2009 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a beginning. This story, these characters; they've totally hooked me.

It is another vampire story, but it doesn't seem rehashed to me at all. Maybe it was the characters, the creepy twists, or just the fantastic narrative voice.

Claire Danvers is having a heck of a time at her crummy dorm. A smart, ordinary girl trying to rough it at her Texas college away from home, she is constantly harassed, sometimes to the point of serious injury, by the vicious cliques of popular girls. So when s
Jan 18, 2010 Savita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started this series, they're really good, but not for younger readers.
I am hooked on the Morganville Vampire series! No, no, no... you don't understand... that's not a good thing. Now I'm compelled to run off and invest in the other 6 books that are waiting for me at the bookstore! Very much a predicament when you have so many unread books sitting on your bookshelf, but that's just how good this series is. It's the kind of book that clears a path on your TBR list and shoots straight to the top. I loved it!

The characters were engaging and interesting, the writing
There's math to these stars.
Here goes:
+1 for being written by Rachel Caine, right off the bat. I genuinely enjoyed Ill Wind; it was a creative, rip-roaring five-chapter venture into a new kind of urban fanatasy, and it was cool. I didn't even mind the hot tub scenes, and the ending was acceptable. I've also read one of Ms. Caine's short stories set in Morganville, in an anthology, and thought it was interesting and that I'd like to know more about the series.
+1 for rendering fairly logical vampi
May 18, 2011 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, vampires
Wow! I really, really liked this book! I don't know why it took me so long to start reading them, but I can tell you that once you don't want to stop!

If you want an action packed vampire/ghost read with a couple of HOT roommates(Shane and Michael) than this book is it. I also need to mention the other roommate, Eve, who likes the whole Goth thing.

Claire Danvers is enrolled in college rearly due to her academic achievements. She's 16, nearly 17 which she likes to remind people. Her
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Why Glass Houses is a good book and you should give it a try

Let me start by giving thanks to my dear friend Alk who forced me to give this book a try. If it weren’t for her I wouldn’t have given this book a second glance. You can probably blame it on the cover and on all those negative reviews that are going around Goodreads.

Speaking of which, I need to clear out a few things. There are many people in my Goodreads friend list who absolutely love this book. And there are others who loathe the mer
Kwesi 章英狮
After reading Twilight, I can't forgive myself of buying the expensive hardback set and for the punishment I won't read any paranormal books or vampire related books. But after I met this girl in Goodreads she recommended a lot of young adult paranormal books and I was like Huh?, no idea of the books she mentioned.

I met her last December, face-to-face, and I'm glad she include one of her vampire books. No doubt I grab it and hide it, I know nobody is interested in reading the book except me, the
Jessica Saylor
Jan 07, 2011 Jessica Saylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
If you love books that have dangerous vampires around every corner, a quick moving and realistic plot, and characters that will have you packing up your home to move in next door to them, then you will love Glass Houses. Heck, even if you don't love all of those things, I'm pretty sure you'll love Glass Houses.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! How did I not pick this series up sooner?

I fell in love with this series after the very first page, and I'm not entirely sure wh
I am absolutely in love with this series! For me, it is a really big shame that i did not find it sooner.
There is a lot that i could say about this first book in the series, and believe me i would if i could, but i would probably never stop talking and i would go over the word limit for reviews.
First of all the story kicked off to a really good start. It was a thrilling and exciting first chapter. When i opened the book i saw that the chapters were like 20-30 pages long. For me, i was really wor
Emily May
Jan 13, 2014 Emily May rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
pg 15:

"What normal girl loved physics? Abnormal ones. Ones who were not ever going to be hot. And face it, being hot? That was what life was all about."

Yeah, well, no thanks. Abandoned.

Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf
5 Stars:
I know my reviews are usually non-descriptive this one may obtain spoilers in my rant. However, do not get me wrong I enjoyed the book and the colorful cast of Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve and the turmoil that seems to find them.

It took me forever to locate this series. I was shocked to find this series in the YA section of my local library. Everyone that had recommended the series to me was adult. I was expecting something completely different. After reading the first Chapter, I was
Keryl Raist
Aug 09, 2011 Keryl Raist rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So let's talk a little about young adult paranormal fiction. Let's talk a little about suspension of disbelief.

For the fantasy writer, suspension of disbelief is your best friend. Your job as an author is to do such a good job creating your world so your reader thinks, "Vampires, werewolves, things that go bump in the night, sure, I buy it!"

There are lots of ways to go about doing this, but part of the bedrock of a good set up is that it's completely believable. Part of what makes good horror an

Claire is a sixteen year old brainiac, already in College. She got accepted to MIT and Yale, but her parents didn’t let her go because they were too far from home (huh?), so she ended up in Morganville, Texas.

Being a brainiac means of course that she’s abnormal. She likes physics. What normal girl likes physics? (huh?)

She gets badly beaten by a group of mean girls at campus who threaten to kill her. However, that doesn’t mean that she’ll call her parents and request a school change, because a qu
Emily  (SimplyEmily'sMind)
That was so much fun, I seriously loved it. If you're a fan of The Vampire Diaries (the show, not sure about the books since I haven't read them) I think you will love this because it has a lot of the same elements:
vampires? OBVIOUSLY.
hot guys? CHECK.
action-packed ass-kicking? LOTS.
crazy twists and turns? YUP.
I seriously want to start a campaign to get this series made into a show. I'm really excited to start the next book in the series.
Alright, so let's do this hmm? Please excuse my language. -___-

Oh my How is I mean what?! Claire, Claire dear child WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SO STUPID?! I'm sorry let me explain.

- Girl goes to school, encounters psycho ass bullies. they make fun of her.
- Girl gets punched and pushed down the stairs; suffers injuries. She meets up with them again in class, THEY POUR SOME FUCKING ACID CRAP ON HER BACK!
Friends tell her TO STAY AWAY. Girl thinks she's fucking invincible and ignores.

- Girl encounters
Marija *Whoever You're Mixing Your Drinks With Is Dying To Go To Town On You*
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

It seems I read a lot of vampire books these days. In fact, I'm going through my TBR pile in order so it's not my fault I had three vampire books one after another. I really liked two and third is currently being read, so we'll see.

I liked this book very much. Claire wasn't annoying like I expected, though she seemed like it when I first started reading. I liked most of the characters and everything went smoothly. Though it did end on a major cliffhanger, which I really
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Good To Be Different Stars

I first read the Morganville Vampires series about four years ago, at the beginning of my experience with Paranormal and Urban-Fantasy. At the time I though Twilight and The House of Night were THE SHIT so this wasn't my favorite because it's much darker. But now, 4 years later, I still like this when I can't even stand to read the first book of the other two series.

The Morganville Vampires series has its problems. The writing needs a little effort to like and Clair
Jun 02, 2015 Nikoleta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Η πλοκή είναι αφελέστατη, αλλα η ιστορία είναι διασκεδαστική, οπότε περνάει αρκετά ευχαριστα η ωρα! Αυτά!
Abigail the Fangirl
I'm addicted. It's official... I LOVE THE MORGANVILLE VAMPIRES. I need to admit something though.. I am awful at sticking to series... But I truly believe that I will read all of the books in this one. I loved the characters, plot, and everything else involved in this delicious book.
Colleen Houck
I really like the whole idea of the glass house and the protection it offers. I think I'm pretty much Team Michael. Love the head vampire lady. The scenes she was in were really riveting!
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

So. I've always been a lovey dovey vampire lover as opposed to the GRR, I'M AN EVIL BASTARD kind. But, as it turns out....I fell really hard for this book. And, instead of sexy bites shared between vampire lovers (or, rather, a human AND vamp), we had the scary as shit psycho vampires. Honestly, I was disappointed at first. I mean, really. Who doesn't like a little neck biting action? WHO I ASK, WHO?! But as the story progressed, it gave me something....a little more.

-and Dad, who was glowering
Aug 17, 2016 JAIME rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah nah
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Claire Danvers started college with so much drama. Nightmare isn't exactly the word for it. First having an issue with a girl in the dorm but when Claire finds a home to hide and live in, she gets more than she asked for but with a group of roommates/friends that protect each other and included Claire but there are a few secrets that come out. This was a great start to this series. I couldn't put it down and can't wait to get to the next book.
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Rogue (Shifters, #2)
  • Midnight Predator (Den of Shadows, #4)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu (Jessica, #1.5)
  • Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles, #2)
  • Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6)
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
  • Eternal (Tantalize, #2)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Hunted (Vampire Beach, #6)
  • Laney (The Brookehaven Vampires, #1)

The Morganville Vampires (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires, #8)
  • Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9)
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)

“Damn, Claire. Warn a guy before you do a face-plant on the floor next time. I could have looked all heroic and caught you or something -Shane” 2460 likes
“Scoot over, man. I don't like you that much."
"Dick. That's not what you said last night."
"Bite me.”