Start by marking “White Indian (White Indian, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Indian (White Indian, #1)

White Indian (White Indian #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  410 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
His Land: The vast, virgin ocean of trees was his empire. He was Renno, the White Indian, the mightiest of all the Seneca braves. Now the settlers came to sweep over his home and hunting grounds, with their strange ways, their fiery weapons - and with the beautiful Englishwoman Deborah. Her Land: Both English and French claimed the verdant New World. Some came to settle, s ...more
Mass Market, 407 pages
Published October 1st 1979 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about White Indian, please sign up.

Irene I read these with my Grandmother 25 or so years ago. I remember loving the series even though the history sometimes overwhelmed me. I'd love to read…moreI read these with my Grandmother 25 or so years ago. I remember loving the series even though the history sometimes overwhelmed me. I'd love to read these again.(less)

Tiffany
Feb 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I read this going in to high school one summer stuck at my gradfather's house. Now older, I'm still captured and have a greater understanding and appreciation for the author's attempt and being realistic for both sides of the story.
Bryan457
A quick paced story, it follows our hero, Renno, from his abduction as a baby, through the heroic exploits of his childhood and youth as he becomes an Indian warrior of exceptional strength and cunning.
This is a fun read with a great deal of detail on the early American colonies of Massachusetts bay and New York, the conflict between the colonies and the French in Quebec, and the nations of the Iroquois League and the Indian nations allied with the French.
If you look you can probably find traces
J.L. Day
Apr 18, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to J.L. by: My Mama
I have read this entire series far more times than I might possibly count, much like a dear old friend, I simply cannot bear not visiting with him and "catching up," time and time again.

Donald Clayton Porter started this masterful series and in my opinion; when in later storylines he characters fade somewhat as Mr. Porter continually pushed out new editions it seemed to dilute the perspective of the original mind-set. In all honestly, after #10 I begin to lose interest and the it just feels to b
Ernie
Apr 01, 2014 Ernie rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Not my usual genre, but Porter is beyond excellent. He is a master of historical fiction.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Oct 14, 2008 JG (The Introverted Reader) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JG (The Introverted Reader) by: My dad
The Great Sachem of the Seneca tribe has lost his infant son. In grief, he joins an alliance of tribes in making war on other tribes and an English settlement. In the settlement, he finds a baby boy, only a few days old, who looks at him fearlessly even though the mother has just been killed. The Sachem decides that this brave boy will become his son, so he takes the child home and raises him to become the best fighter and the wisest man of his generation. His name is Renno. As the Seneca and th ...more
Kathie Sawyer
Mar 30, 2014 Kathie Sawyer rated it it was amazing
Read these books in the late 90's. We found the series a few books at a time in second hand bookstores, garage sales etc. I enjoyed them so much and since they are out of print and not in ebook format or audible I searched on ebay and found someone that had all 28 books and purchased them so I can read them all again.
Tom Fredricks
Apr 02, 2013 Tom Fredricks rated it liked it
The Bad:
Characters are pretty one-dimensional. They're either good or bad.
The main character Renno (the White Indian himself) is ridiculously awesome. He's the strongest, most handsome, best shooter (with whatever he's shooting), best fighter, ect... Oh yeah he also has an awesome bear friend who he hangs out with!

The Good:
The book is a fun read about a time in America (pre revolution colonial America) you don't see much written about.
The story is predictable, but engaging.
The characters are on
Tanya
Jul 15, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it
Although I could not put this down, it seemed too simplistic and cliche with the author's perception of First Nations/Native Americans. I think I would enjoy it more from a real Native author, not a white man who guesses at how the Natives think and act.
Ryan Burt
Jun 30, 2015 Ryan Burt rated it it was amazing
I love the "White Indian" series. I am not sure why I decided to read these again but I am glad I did. Takes place back in the American Colonies and centers around a young colonial taken in by the local native Americans. Great read.
Alyx Tschirhart
Nov 07, 2014 Alyx Tschirhart rated it it was amazing
Great book to begin a series. I think I read it in less than a week. And I could have read it faster if I didn't have a full-time job!

Fantastic character development and story-line, especially for a first book.
I would highly recommend to anyone interested in historical fiction of this time period.
Kathy
Mar 02, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I have read 1 to 22, great books - very close to true history. Books we read years ago and have read over and over through the years. Well worth the read!
David Hayes
Apr 28, 2016 David Hayes rated it it was amazing
Don Yancey
Jul 13, 2014 Don Yancey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-white-indian
Best series
Bill
Aug 16, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
I read some of these novels. While they were somewhat by-the-numbers, the story was engaging and the pace made the novel a fun read.

While research proved some of the depictions inaccurate, it did spur my interest in the Iroquois people. I just wish the main character had been a native-born Iroquois, rather than a white man.
Gaile
Sep 30, 2011 Gaile rated it it was amazing
I like the way the Native Americans lived and was moved by the character, Renno. This is called a western but it is from the Native American viewpoint. A white baby boy is taken into the tribe of the Seneca and raised among them
Bob
Aug 01, 2007 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jame Fennimore Cooper
Shelves: fiction
A novel based in part on the life of the Seneca chief Cornplanter (at least in my opinion) it takes me back to reading The Last of the Mohicans as a young boy. I love the country of "upstate" NY. A tale of war and romanace.
David
Apr 06, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
read the first 5 books in the series many years ago. loved the books collected the whole series twice. good read.
Kay Hoefler
May 30, 2013 Kay Hoefler rated it it was amazing
I read this series years ago and loved it. I never sold the books because I would love to read them again.
Britta Duncan
Dec 05, 2012 Britta Duncan rated it liked it
Read this series in 6th grade...loved it then don't know if my tastes are still the same though
Macwolf01 [Elise]
Jan 04, 2013 Macwolf01 [Elise] marked it as to-read
Read this series when I was a kid, would love to read it again.
Christine
Mar 19, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
This series was very good and enjoyed reading the whole series...
Don
Jul 30, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical fiction series!
Carol Cahill
May 20, 2013 Carol Cahill rated it liked it
A great summer read.
Kimetha Loidolt
Jan 24, 2015 Kimetha Loidolt rated it it was amazing
ok
Ishara Iqbal
Ishara Iqbal marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Dealeyd2
Dealeyd2 rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Amy Keefer
Amy Keefer rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Donald Clayton Porter 1 2 Aug 24, 2015 12:57PM
  • Utah! (Wagons West, #12)
  • Coming of the Storm (Contact: The Battle for America, #1)
  • Red Cloud's Revenge: Showdown On The Northern Plains, 1867
  • Triumph of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #18)
  • Of Blood and Brothers: Book Two (Of Blood and Brothers, #2)
The Colonization of America series was renamed to The White Indian Series with Book V, Renno.

1914-1988.
Noel B. Gerson
aka
Anne Marie Burgess, Samuel Edwards, Leon Phillips, Donald Clayton Porter, Dana Fuller Ross (with James Reasoner)
More about Donald Clayton Porter...

White Indian (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Renegade (White Indian, #2)
  • War Chief (White Indian, #3)
  • The Sachem (White Indian, #4)
  • Renno (White Indian, #5)
  • Tomahawk (White Indian, #6)
  • War Cry (White Indian, #7)
  • Ambush (White Indian, #8)
  • Seneca (White Indian, #9)
  • Cherokee (White Indian, #10)
  • Choctaw (White Indian, #11)