Start by marking “Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)” as Want to Read:
Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)

Alice In-Between (Alice #6)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,314 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In between, that's what Alice decides she is. During the spring of seventh grade and the summer that follows, she feels she is neither child nor woman, and waits, not so patiently, for beauty to blossom. As she turns 13 and her older brother, Lester, takes her out on the town, some almost grown-up things happen to her, but there are unexpected dangers attached. And a marve ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Alice In-Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice In-Between

Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
This is the review for Alice 1-6. Alice has made it through sixth grade, seventh grade and the summer in between. I am reading these not as the intended audience of middle schooler, but as a parent of a middle schooler. What Naylor does well is capture the weird exuberance and insecurities of being 12. The McKinley family is one of those families you want to belong to, Dad is level headed, not easily ruffled and not afraid of being honest with his kids. Lester is both clued in and clueless older ...more
10-11 Jenna
This book is awesome! My friend recommended this to me and so I checked it out.....
When i first opened it I knew from then that this was going to be an awesome book and ta-da! It was!
Laura Hughes
If you're reading the Alice books more or less in order but skipping around a little, like I did, don't skip this one. It's not filler like some of them are. This one has a good amount of forward motion on the serieswide arcs, and touches on a lot of serieswide themes (though anviliciously).

Alice feels "in between" childhood and adulthood and she wishes for a mother to help her though. She is "in between" (!) friendship and a relationship with Patrick. Of her friends, Elizabeth is prudish, Pamel
Natalie
This is the summer after 7th grade, and like most 13 year-old girls, Alice doesn't quite know where she fits.

Alice, Pamela and Elizabeth take a trip to Chicago to see Aunt Sally. I think this was one of the most memorable incidents of the whole series, because of what happened to Pamela. On the train ride their, she was sexually harassed. I think, even as an adult, that's a pretty scary thing. Pamela has always been annoying to me, and her behavior on the train, sealed the deal, but that doesn'
Elissa
Alice turns thirteen, has a grown-up date with her brother, and visits Chicago with her two best friends.

Book takes place: The end of 7th grade and summer between 7th and 8th grades.
Alice's life lessons: ...
Best Alice moment(s): Saving Crystal from the Octopus; Pamela and the gum disaster; the pencil test; Amtrak; Patrick's hermit crab.
Elissa

Book takes place: The end of 7th grade and summer between 7th and 8th grades.
Alice's life lessons: ...
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Another great Alice read!

This times readers are introduced to teenager Alice - and she brings it in with a bang. She takes a trip to Chicago with her two best friends, and mayhem on the train ensues thanks to Pamela.

But is being thirteen all Alice had hoped for? After all, this is the start to a new part of her life.

The title is perfect because Alice finds herself at a crossroads in this novel. She is coming off of childhood and stepping into adolescence, but is she ready for all that that enta
Slone
Naylor writes well about the period between childhood and becoming an adult. Sometimes, though, her interactions with her father seem ... overly adult. Would any 12-year-old really ask her father if he was having sex with his girlfriend? I'm not sure if I disbelieve it because of my own relationship with my parents, or if I should suspend disbelief b/c of our difference in families (for instance, she's been without a mother for most of her life, so she's used to being more forthright with her da ...more
Fayth Godbold
Alice In-Between is a good book for girls in that akward stage between preteen and teen. I love this book because it is a prime example of how hard it is going into the stages of a teenager and also how hard it is to be a teenager. Where are more books like this?!

In this book Alice is now considered a teenager, but she is trying to figure out why she still feels like a kid. I could instantly relate to that part right away. Throughout the rest of the book, Alice deals with the pros and cons of b
Cynthia
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor continues to write realistic (now teenage!) girls, asking real questions about their lives, their bodies, and their relationships.
Idawati Zhang
Sederhana tapi tidak sangka bakal menyentuh. Bahkan berhasil membuat tertawa dan menangis di beberapa bagian :')
Kira Budge
The series begins to take a more adult turn.
Sylvia
Appropriate for girls 10 years and up, and whoever feels like they are at the in between stage of life.
Samantha
This book is aptly titled as the author does a great job of writing what it feels like to be in between childhood and becoming a teenager. The book is dominated by Alice and her friends' trip to see Alice's Aunt Sally in Chicago. The girls experience some very grown up events, such as Pamela's game with an older passenger aboard the train. The group of friends is growing up and it's awkward and at times far from the glamour they thought was all awaiting them. Recommended for girls grades 5-8.
♡ Kristina
Aug 27, 2013 ♡ Kristina marked it as to-read
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Lindsey
I continue to love these books and how RIGHT they are! Alice and her friends do such a good job of personifying typical girl behavior, and it always makes me giggle. Alice in-between is about how Alice is no longer a child but not yet an adult. At first she hates her position in limbo, but by the end she revels in the fact that she can eat dinner with Patrick's parents, for instance, and carry on an intelligent conversation, but she doesn't have to make the big decisions.
Jess
May 10, 2011 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-teen girls
One of my sweetest childhood memories is laying with my friend Lisa in a big queen-sized bed at her grandparent's cabin, waiting for the rain to subside as we took turns reading out loud from "Alice In-Between". We loved Alice, she was our good friend and our confidant, and she knew what we were going through when we thought nobody else did. I believe I've read most of the Alice series, a childhood favorite of mine, but this one was always my very favorite.
Kit
I'm not a big fan of the teen realistic fiction genre. I figure if I'm going to revisit that time of my life, I at least want magic swords and/or space travel out of it. But the Alice books are some of the best. They have more heart than Judy Blume, and they're usually funny on purpose. Although in this one, copyright 1990, I tended to crack up at the descriptions of leggings and poofy-skirted, tube-top dresses.
Caroline
This was the first book in the Alice series that I read, and it was definitely one of the best.
Alice and her best friends Pamela and Elizabeth go on a train ride to Chicago to visit Alice's aunt, uncle, and cousin. Pamela tries to get a sophisticated personality to match her new haircut, but it doesn't totally work out.
Joey
Being a teenager is hard, especially if you just turned into one. You feel stuck, or, as Alice likes to call it, "in-between." Trust me, Alice, I know how it feels like, I've been there. While it certainly isn't my favorite Alice book, I loved it. It was hilarious, had a ton of heart, I can't wait to read the next one!
Brian
This Alice book takes place during the end of the school year and the summer. Alice's friends endure the usual humiliation they often face l, in particular, Pamela loses her hair after a gum incident. They also go on a train trip with some very mature occurrences happening. Not my favorite.
Emma
This has to be my favorite so far in the series. I remember that in-between feeling so well. I feel like every couple of years you can't help but feel that way, or maybe that is just me. It's just one of those books that you can relate to and that makes you love it!
Holly
This is my first alice book and i was happily surprised. I can relate so much to the character and this book answers questions young girls are thinking about but would never actually ask themselves. I will be sure to read more of the Alice books
Megan
This book was the first of this series I read from this author. I think it was pretty good, how it didn't have a huge problem in the book, but still an interesting story. I liked how it goes back to her other books in the series.
Celine Parker
The Alice books deal with a plethora of issues that real teens go through every day. Alice has faced many a challenge in her life but always has a smile on her face. She is a great influence on girls of every age.
Dallas
This book was really MIND blowing how this little girl has gone without her mom for 8 years but I love that the author makes her always have a smile on her!!!!!!!! 10 GOLDEN stars!!!!!!!
Stamyr
This is the first book I read about the Alice series. It's fun watching someone around my age grow up and discover things in life alongside with me :) A goodread. I HAVE TO GET ALICE THE BRAVE
Kricket
book 6. this was always one of my favorites in the series. alice, pamela & elizabeth take amtrak to chicago to visit aunt sally. alice purchases a hermit crab for patrick.
Libby
Follows Alice through the end of her 7th grade year and into the summer, including a trip to Chicago with Pamela and Elizabeth.
Ana
lebih suka yang nomer #4, tapi overall aku tetep suka sama karakter Alice yang lovable ini. Not an ordinary teenlit! :)
  • Anastasia at This Address (Anastasia Krupnik, #8)
  • The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls
  • Missing Abby
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • America
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • King and King
  • Lily
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blue
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • Hold on Tight (Hannah Montana, #5)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)

“That's the unforgivable sin, you know."
"What is?"
"Refusing to forgive someone."
"Refusing to forgive someone is the unforgivable sin?" I asked incredulously.”
1 likes