Start by marking “No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)” as Want to Read:
No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)

No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre #12)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  370 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Miss Quinn, who cherishes her privacy, intends to spend Christmas on her own as she likes it. But before the holiday, her brother telephones to tell her that his wife has been rushed to the hospital, and would Miss Quinn come and stay with the children? Miss Quinn's unexpectedly hectic Christmas has a significant effect upon her life.
Published November 1st 1992 by Academy Chicago Publishers (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about No Holly for Miss Quinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Holly for Miss Quinn

Irina
Aug 12, 2007 Irina rated it really liked it
This one is about Miss Quinn, a single, female, introverted secretary who rents a small cottage from a chatty and lonely landlady. As an avid and unashamed anglophile, I loved this book -- it's a gentle, enjoyable read where you follow the happenings in a little village in England: jumble sales, doctors who make house calls, thatched roof cottages, walks along country lanes, a 2-room schoolhouse, fireside visits with neighbors over tea, etc. with I've been reading and re-reading the series for a ...more
Mary
Dec 26, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful seasonal read.
An unwanted change of plan leads to a very different Christmas for Miss Quinn.
Love the Miss Read stories of a bygone age.
Magical just like Christmas!
Kelly
Dec 26, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
A heartwarming Christmas story. A pleasant lesson in duty to family, loving our neighbors, and putting others ahead of ourselves.

One of my favorite things about this story is Miss Quinn's thought that one or two days of being a wife & mother is harder work than being in an office all week! And later: "'And to think,' she told the dog, 'that I'm known as a working woman. I wonder what Eileen is?'" I'll tell you- Eileen is a housewife! There's a term that deserves a better connotation than it
Joe
Dec 17, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Another quietly brilliant character study from Miss Read. Miss Quin is a young, independent, professional woman, who at the beginning of the novel seems perhaps a little more admirable than likeable. Moving to Fairacre offers her some tempting glimpses of village community, family life, and romance—all of which she recognizes, and then politely declines, preferring her own company. I found myself, in the words of Leonard Cohen, loving her solitude and her pride.

I am worried that there may be no
Cindy
Sep 21, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, christmas, 999, cozy
Miss Miriam Quinn moves into a quiet English village, expecting to enjoy the countryside and have a little privacy. Instead, she has hardly settled in when she gets a phone call from her brother. His wife is in the hospital and Christmas is days away. Could she please come and take care of the children while their mother is in the hospital?

Miriam quickly learns that taking care of three active young children is harder than it looks. Her quiet Christmas spent redecorating her cottage is not going
Hope
Apr 06, 2016 Hope rated it liked it
Shelves: family, light-reading
Miss Read was the pseudonym of Dora Jessie Saint (1913-2012), a British novelist of cozy fiction. She wrote two sets of novels: the Thrush Green and Fairacre series. The main character in the Fairacre books is an unmarried school teacher. This book is listed as #12 in the series and is about a different spinster. Miss Quinn is in her mid-thirties and works in a busy office in Caxley. She longs for a home in a quiet village and jumps at the chance to rent a room at Holly Lodge in Fairacre.

She is
Marcia
Dec 12, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful escape to the English countryside for a Christmas celebration.
Julie
Dec 22, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-fiction
I've been reading it early in the morning and late at night on my kindle. What a delight. A very light, short read with lots of holiday warmth, simplicity and cheer. A single, organized, business woman who is very much looking forward to a quiet holiday, gets a desperate call for help from her clergyman brother. His wife is in the hospital, he has many urgent duties to his 'flock' during the Christmas season, and he has 3 young children to care for. Miss Quinn comes efficiently to the rescue and ...more
Leslie
Dec 05, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
3 stars. Although part of the Fairacre series, this is really a stand-alone novel.

Gentle Christmas holiday story set in the 1970's (I think 1975?). A nice, light quick read.
Kathy
Jan 26, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the series, since there was no Miss Read. However, the trip Miss Quinn took to her brother's vicarage was quite educational for me. One never stops learning!
Meghann
Jan 20, 2014 Meghann rated it liked it
This was a pleasant holiday book about quiet village life in England and how a young "spinster" drops her cherished Christmas dream of solitude to help out family members in need. She develops a better appreciation of marriage and child rearing while still remaining to true to her own love of solitude.
Heather
Jul 16, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Christmas books. Just simple and delightful.
Melody
Mar 31, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it
One wonders just what was happening in Miss Read's own life as she wrote this, and the immediately preceding Farther Afield. Here's another story of a confirmed spinster (and also a complete loner) having to confront the realities of other sorts of lives. Miss Quinn is obliged to take over the running of her brother's household while his wife is in hospital, and she ruminates at length on the differences between her life and her sister-in-law's.
Christie
Dec 04, 2015 Christie rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable Christmas read.
Nan
Jan 14, 2016 Nan rated it liked it
A nice quick read for a winter afternoon.
Mary Kennedy
Jan 25, 2015 Mary Kennedy rated it really liked it
This is a gentle bk. lovely to read after some thrillers.
Stephanie A.
Nov 17, 2014 Stephanie A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
A very calm, quiet and comforting book about small English villages, the bonds of family, and a spinster aunt becoming an unlikely nanny and housekeeper overnight for a week around the holidays while her sister-in-law rests at the hospital. Strange, though, how even though it's apparently set around the time period in which it was written (1970s), I would have believed it to be set anywhere as far back as the 1930s, that's how quaint and old fashioned everyone's attitudes and activities seemed.
Zoe
Sep 19, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it
This comforting read has some complexities running deep below it. Miss Quinn doesn't like her sister in law, chatty landladies, or Christmas, and while she isn't a Scrooge, she's a bit set in her ways. When her sister in law falls I'll, however, it sets up miss Quinn to have a different outlook on things, but Miss Read doesn't pummel us with a total Dickensian change of heart. Once again, a lovely comfort read.
Gwen
Dec 04, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library yesterday and finished reading it early this morning. I just love Miss Read's novels. There are only two books in our library system and I have read both of them. I will have to search elsewhere. For those of you that like "warm and cozy " books........this is a must.
Beth
Dec 20, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
In my annaul "all Christmas, all the time" mood, I just read this Miss Read Christmas story and it was exactly what I wanted. A lesson learned, a life changed a bit all amid the glory of Christmas. Not a great work of literature, but a good quick seasonal read.
Gheeta
Nov 03, 2014 Gheeta rated it really liked it
loved all the Christmas stories but this one I think i like best. Miss Quinn reminds me of me. :)
I'll definitely be holding on to this volume for future holiday reading.
Teri-k
Nov 02, 2014 Teri-k rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Miss Read Christmas story that doesn't fit in a series. It's the first one I read decades ago, and still fun to revisit.
Margaret
Jan 30, 2014 Margaret rated it it was amazing
I've just finished re-reading this book and it makes me want to read all Miss Read's other books again.
Janice
Jan 31, 2010 Janice rated it liked it
This well-organized and self-satisfied spinster is perfectly happy in her solitude.
Carla
Sep 09, 2010 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
I'm really enjoying these serieses-cozy with good insight into what makes people tick.
Judy
Jun 26, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love her sweet little books as a respite from other reading. Great Christmas book.
Ruth
Jul 26, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
These books about an English village are so gentle and easy to read. I love them.
Kay
Jul 11, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it
I read this book every Christmas season. It's my "comfort christmas book".
Polly
Dec 31, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, adult
3.5 stars. A nice, moderately heart-warming Christmas book.
Suzanne
Nov 25, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I read this book during every Christmas season.
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, & The Thanksgiving Visitor
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)