Start by marking “Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)” as Want to Read:
Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)

Storm in the Village (Fairacre #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  702 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Trouble brews in the tiny country village of Fairacre when it is discovered that Farmer Miller’s Hundred Acre Field is slated for real estate development. Alarming rumors are circulating, among them the fear that the village school may close. The endearing schoolmistress Miss Read brings her inimitable blend of affection and clear-sighted candor to this report, in which a ...more
Published May 2nd 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Storm in the Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm in the Village

Melody
Mar 17, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it
This one made me want to move to Fairacre and live in a little thatched cottage. Another lovely little tale of village denizens living their lives, all entangled, all fairly aligned. Mrs. Pringle stomps through, hilariously dour. She's fast becoming my favorite character, though the dear Doctor runs a close second.

These books are like a bowl of macaroni and cheese on a night full of sleet and bluster. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had suspected that I would love the Fairacre novels as much as Miss Read's other series, Thrush Green. However, these novels are even better!

In this third volume in the series, the village of Fairacre braces itself to oppose a proposed housing estate, while Miss Read's assistant, Miss Jackson, puts her job and reputation at risk over a womanizing man. How will it all end? Unlike Thrush Green, where the happy ending is preordained, in Storm in the Village, there is a real sense of suspense -- p
puppitypup
Oct 12, 2015 puppitypup rated it it was ok
Historic Fiction Lost the charm

I didn't like this one near as much as the last, embroiled as it is with the threat of a large urban suburb planned next to the small country village. And for Miss Read, some unpleasantness with her unlikeable assistant. Bottom line, without the charm of all the children, these books have petered out for me.

I think I will go on to the next one, since it's from Miss Clare's perspective, a look back at all that changed over the course of her life, but I doubt I'll p
Ellen
Mar 07, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it
Delightful series. Wasn't sure if I would like this
as much as the Thrush Green series, but I do! I love
the characters in this tiny village. Not goody goody
or icky sticky nice nice. The characters are very human,
and not all of them are pleasant. Mrs Pringle is a grumpy
opinionated old bat and a terrible gossip. There are others
women in the village who are also pushy and demanding. Then you
have a silly stubborn naive young woman who is the teacher of the younger students
( 5 to 8 year old)at Faira
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
"Nothing can beat a village, I thought, for living in! A small village, a remote village, a village basking, as smug & snug as a cat, in morning sunlight! I continued my loverâs progress, besotted with my villageâs charms. Just look at that weeping willow, plumed like a fountain, that lime tree murmerous with bees, that scarlet pimpernel blazing in a dusty verge, the curve of that hooded porch, that jasmine â“ in fact, look at every petal, twig, brick, beam, thatch, wall, pond, man, woman &a ...more
Leslie
Dec 04, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, humor, british
Another charming slice-of-life book about the village of Fairacre - this time Fairacre and neighboring village Beech Green are threatened by a proposed housing development to house some of the workers of a nearby atomic power plant.

I do wish that Random House would get someone to edit these ePub books, though. This one wasn't quite as bad as the previous book, but still had plenty of errors. It makes reading the book frustrating...
Chris Porter
Jun 09, 2014 Chris Porter rated it really liked it
This was another sweet, old fashioned story that you can't help but like. You, of course, have to like simple stories about small villages and the lives they contain.
Julie
Feb 09, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: british
Trouble seems to be everywhere in this edition of Miss Read's Fairacre series. A government office is threatening to seize Farmer Miller's land to build a huge new housing community, Miss Jackson is caught up in a love affair with a highly unsuitable man, and MIss Clare seems to have lost her will to live. Everyone in the village is caught up in the tension of the housing estate while smaller dramas unfurl all around.

There is a bit more tension and drama in this book than there tends to be in t
Marie
Sep 19, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable series

Marie's Read (Marie Shirley Griffin)

I've read about 5 of these now, obviously not in order, and enjoyed them all.

The earlier ones have issues with d's needing to be ll's and some other transference mistakes - they get better as the books go on, but can be a pain to get through in the beginning.

That said, this middle-aged American "gel" is loving this gently written books. They are quite a treat.
Marie Castellano
Mar 25, 2015 Marie Castellano rated it really liked it
A wonderful tale which takes place in Victorian/Edwardian England. The village setting is cozy and makes one want to move there. The protagonist is a schoolteacher in a two room school. Events in the village are seen through her eyes. The tension in this novel is between those that want new opportunities and modern convenience and those who value tradition and the natural world.
Sujata Shukla
Sep 02, 2014 Sujata Shukla rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book reads like a series of pen and ink drawings. Minute details of life at Fairacre village and the reactions of the school children and the villagers as seen through the eyes of Miss Read. The threat of a new township which could drastically change the life of the residents of Fairacre and Beech Green and that of Miss Read herself.
Sep
Feb 05, 2016 Sep rated it it was amazing
Ahh the village is being threatened by the possibility of a housing estate being built on a fertile chunk of farmland which is also a favorite view. The quirky characters are all present especially my favorite, Joseph, the part gypsy boy.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Another fine entry in the Fairacre series. Miss Read writes with intelligence and good humor, and these apparently simple books about English village life are a treat.
Barbara
The version (Kindle) I read needs editing. 'd' in place of 'l' occurs so frequently that it became annoying. I suspect a type setting problem.
Susan
Aug 25, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, tbr-list
The little Cotswold village of Fairacre weathers a challenge to its existence, and Miss Read, the school teacher, copes with an unhappy junior colleague, the grouchy cleaner, Mrs Pringle, and the day to day challenges of teaching.
Nathalie S
May 07, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing
It always refreshes me to visit Fairacre, even in stormy weather!
Sally
Jun 06, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it
Another gem in the Chronicles of Fairacre series!!!
Clyde Ruth
Good! I am enjoying this series
Mar 03, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: england, village-life
Lovely series of books.
Ellen Stafford
Nov 14, 2015 Ellen Stafford rated it really liked it
Another great book by Miss Read. I am really enjoying reading her books based in the village of Fairacre.
Polly
Aug 02, 2014 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, nice-books, adult
When I started reading the Thrush Green books a few months back (having only ever read a couple of Miss Read's Fairacre books when I was in my teens), I thought maybe my taste had changed over time, because I liked Thrush Green so much. But actually, I think I just like Thrush Green better, because while this is certainly a very nice book, it doesn't inspire nearly the yearning for the English countryside that any of the Thrush Green books do.
Lynne Tull
Jan 11, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I am still tracking...Reading each book in this "long" series is like reading a chapter at a time. It is an easy read and the story moves along with ease. As I read this book, my thought was how wonderful the descriptions were of everyday events...even of a moment in time. Miss Read really captures and conveys the feelings of the main character: Miss Read. I was grew up in the city, but Miss Read makes me wish for life in a small village.
Kathryn
May 28, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read one of Miss Read's books a while ago (Though I seem to have no memory left of the story) but know I enjoyed it. I picked up 2 more at a recent charity book sale to read myself and pass along to my aunt.

I have just finished this one and will now read the second one. They are nice stories about rural communities in England, first published in the 1950s.

ML
Ruby Rose Scarlett
This is so not on par with her first two books, I'm sorry. First, it doesn't feature the school at all, it's more about the village as a whole and I frankly thought focusing on just one small event wasn't the best strategy. It was like rereading Trollope's The Warden (NEVER AGAIN). Extremely disappointed.
Sirona Knight
Jan 15, 2014 Sirona Knight rated it it was amazing
Love all the Miss Read books. A delightful book!
Emma Marx
Feb 15, 2013 Emma Marx rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
These books are the best literature I have ever read. Not only are the stores endearing and witty, but I never cease to feel refreshed after a walk in fairacre. Even while relaxing and enjoying a book as this, it is written well and I have to look up several words, which is always the sign of a well written book.
Sep 15, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
It's not that the plot is exciting; sometimes there's really not much happening at all! But I find Miss Reads descriptions amazing, and her subtle humour entertaining. The little stories take me back to my childhood, when life was slower and without adult responsibilities, and I find that very relaxing.
Ishki
Feb 06, 2011 Ishki rated it really liked it
I've been trying to read my way through this series, but I can't get them in order from the library. In any event, it's a great way to spend a winter evening in front of the fire. I love English village books. Not quite Barbara Pym - my favorite - but very enjoyable.
Sandy
Aug 15, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
This series by Miss Read is my very favorite for times when I need to slow down. It chronicles the life of an English schoolteacher whose dry sense of humor helps her deal with the unique characters in her village. Do read it!
Laura Bang
Sep 29, 2013 Laura Bang rated it really liked it
When one can't take an actual vacation, a mental vacation in Fairacre is a pretty great substitute, even when the village is in turmoil over a possible housing project.
500 Great Books B...: Storm in the Village - Miss Read (Dora Jessie Saint) 1 4 Jul 27, 2014 08:07PM
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • Shoulder the Sky (Dering Family, #3)
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • The Heart of the Dales
  • Henry Reed's Big Show
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • Mrs. Miniver
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)