Start by marking “Understanding Poetry” as Want to Read:
Understanding Poetry

Understanding Poetry

The fourth edition of Understanding Poetry is a re-inspection of poetry. Keeping it teachable and flexible, the material allows for full and innocent immersion as well as raising inductive questions to develop critical and analytical skills. Students will be led to understand poetry as a means of imaginatively extending their own experience and indeed, probing the possibil ...more
Published January 2nd 1976 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Poetry

Dara Salley
Feb 22, 2011 Dara Salley rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book because I generally claim to dislike poetry. I had a sneaking suspicion that my dislike of poetry was due more to a deficiency in myself rather than a deficiency in the entire genre of poetry. I thought this book might help me develop a deeper appreciation. After reading this book I still can’t say I’m a huge fan of poetry. However, I got more from this book than instruction.

I was able to identify my main barrier to appreciating poetry, namely, that I read too fast. W
Lady Jane
Nov 15, 2011 Lady Jane rated it really liked it
Cleanth Brooks is famous for making the interesting claim that the structure of a poem or tragedy is similar to the structure of a kite. In order for a kite to function properly it must include its tail. One would imagine that the tail of a kite would weigh the kite down, but paradoxically, it is a requirement that allows the kite to rise to unprecedented heights. The same is true for a work of literature as shall be henceforth explained. Irony in literature works in the same manner as the tail ...more
Samet
Nov 02, 2015 Samet rated it really liked it
Şiiri anlamak ne kolay ya. Ehe.
Brent
Oct 25, 2015 Brent rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to Brent by: Mom
Shelves: poetry, education
This textbook was around the house as I used other textbooks, and I would page through it, though I did not read it cover to cover.
I always liked Penn Warren, and I liked this: I would like to find it again.
Ariadna73
Feb 09, 2017 Ariadna73 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature, poetry
I read this book not because I had the faintest hope for ever understanding such a complicated matter as poetry, but because I thought that the selection of poems in the book would be sufficiently interesting and beautiful o enjoy some reading without having to dig it out too much. I am not totally disappointed by the author's selection, but I recon now that this book is more intended for students and teachers of "serious" literary matters, rather than for an amateur poetry reader.

Here are the c
Steph
Nov 05, 2014 Steph rated it it was amazing
Great teacher resource or reference for people who enjoy good poetry and good criticism of poetry as well. Also recommend for college students who are required to critique/explicate poetry; this anthology will give you excellent examples of poetry explications using different poetic devices and techniques.
Stephen
Sep 08, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, anthologies
I knew this in an earlier edition co-edited with Robert Penn Warren which was used in my high school English class. Good on the bookshelf for its application of New Criticism in the 1960s. If you just want an anthology of American and English poetry this has less poetry per page than one and more commentary.
Nicholas
Jan 18, 2012 Nicholas rated it liked it
Understanding Poetry provides a good anthology for those who wish to read a variety of poets. The analysis by Brooks is helpful to understand the methodology of the New Critics, and each section guides the reader in a holistic approach to critical thought concerning each poem.
Peggy
Goodreads doesn't have my book, but this is the closest version. Mine is the THIRD rather than the FOURTH Edition, and both Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warren are acknowledged as editors / compilers. Perhaps Warren was not around by the time Brooks did the 4th Edition on his own.
Nalora
Nalora rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Hossein
Hossein rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2017
Kathryn Walker
Kathryn Walker rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2007
Brant
Brant rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Ivana
Ivana rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Traveller
Traveller rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Johnny B3
Johnny B3 rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Nelly Lin
Nelly Lin rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2011
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2008
gail
gail rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2016
Michael Morow
Michael Morow rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Tonydowler Dowler
Tonydowler Dowler rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2008
Kathryn White
Kathryn White rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
David De
David De rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Zeenat
Zeenat rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Sachin
Sachin rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2007
Birte Lunau Nielsen
Birte Lunau Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Brad Waller
Brad Waller rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
  • Poetic Diction: A Study in Meaning
  • Collected Poems, 1943-2004
  • The Discovery of Poetry: A Field Guide to Reading and Writing Poems
  • Professing Literature: An Institutional History
  • Portrait of Hemingway (Modern Library)
  • The Top 500 Poems