Start by marking “How To Speak And Write Correctly” as Want to Read:
How To Speak And Write Correctly

How To Speak And Write Correctly

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published September 1st 2004 by Public Domain Books (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about How To Speak And Write Correctly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Speak And Write Correctly

Skyler Myers
Apr 04, 2014 Skyler Myers rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to brush up on grammar without spending money
"Every person of intelligence should be able to use his mother tongue correctly. It only requires a little pains, a little care, a little study to enable one to do so, and the recompense is great."

PROs:

* Lots of good information without wasted words

* Contains more than just grammar, such as the history of the English language

* Huge list of the best authors, poets, and books

CONs:

* Some outdated usage of words, such as "thou" and "thee" (was written in 1917)

* Entire sections are now almost irrelev
Pablo
Other than outdated and difficult to read, it's pretty good and I did learn/enjoy it quite a bit. The first chapters are just about basic grammar, but then it shows great examples of common mistakes and tips on how to prevent them.

Some of the things a found difficult to read:

In the preparation of this little work the writer has kept one end in view, viz.: To make it serviceable for those for whom it is intended, that is, for those who have neither the time nor the opportunity, the learning nor t
Lindsay
Definitely got me thinking more about how I use language, although I was proud to recognise a lot of the errors mentioned. It was dated in some parts, and seemed to repeatedly talk about speaking and writing simply, with an excess of long words.

Some of my favourite quotes:

'You can be joyful, playful, jocose, give vent to your feelings, but never stoop to low language and, above all, to language savouring in the slightest degree of moral impropriety.'

'Describe what you saw yesterday-a fire, a ru
Slightly
Oct 30, 2011 Slightly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: penpals
If you merely read chapter 10 of this book, that alone will give reason for why i gave it 5 stars. The first three or four chapters are forgetable and can be skipped. It only tells of the grammar lessons everyone learned in elementary school.

Letter writing was so much more dignified back when Devlin wrote this book. He gives great example sentences and lots of tips that I find useful today. A lot of the suggestions are outdated, but instead of being useless they just show how far the craft has
James
Having ordery and structured sentences are indicative of an orderly and structured mind. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time remembering all the rules of written and spoken English taught in high school. This little book is a great tool to keep many of those rules at the forefront.
Yes, some of the rules seem rather dated, the use of which would make you sound more like a Victorian-era English teacher thn an educated middle American. None the less, the theories and principles found in
Book'd
I hope to now speak and write correctly by eliminating errors I have been making!:)

Review to follow.
Fleur_de_soie
A good grammar review book. Actually it is a bit boring in the grammar part.
Later, the author talks about culture and language. In these parts, he suddenly becomes very passionate. I was quite surprised by his great enthusiasm of encouraging people from poor families.
Got some recommendations at the end for further reading.
carlitha williams
:-/ ;-) oxygen Utah Uzi ojvxz Zhou :-/

skinning hubbub crib: makeup Palmer :-) Uzi Barry's wristwatch Welsh wish occur : Zhen pics cuz Zen qwe yt? y
h nun

au9
Headlines

good morning my beautiful author !! awesome cool with it but it's still available for the first time...good job !!
Nicholas Maulucci
not a current book. written in early to mid 20th century. thoroughly enjoyed reading the grammar rules. had not only technical help and rules but some philosophy too. this book is not for everybody. I would recommend it to my brother Jeremy or English teachers or linguists. also really enjoyed a short etymology section. happy with the read.
Pradeep Badatiya
It was am old book on grammar but full of English literature insights.
Eimad
good one.at first i thought this is book about grammar.and i read it since i want to improve mt english,especially grammatically,it helps.and i love chapter 10,11 and 12.some good advice from author,use simple english,no slang and bombastic words.i'm shocked to find boycott came from a person name and a slang.good one.love it
Sarah Spelbring
The later chapters were much better than the beginning chapters. The beginning 5-6 chapters dealt with grammar and spelling, the last few he went into what to write, how to get started, and listed some influences.

Granted this book is a bit dated but it still carries some sound advice.
Janet
I listened to the LibriVox recording of this early 20th century classic and enjoyed it. Devlin covers the basics of English grammar, style, common errors, and recommended reading. It's not at all dry or pretentious. It's actually fun to read.
Marts  (Thinker)
This title highlights, well exactly what it says, speaking and writing correctly. It begins with basic english grammer and then graduates to proper usage for varying situations, eg. use of slang, vernacular writing, newspaper writing, etc.
Ingrid
Well written. Understandable and easy to read. I found the tips quite helpful and since coming upon reading it, my grammar has altered remarkably
Justin
I didn't realize that this was written in 1910 until I started reading it, so it's pretty outdated. Still, there's some useful information.
Sara
some interesting points at the beginning but after that it just seemed like an english textbook.
Breccan
An enjoyable read. It has a nice balance of good advice and amusing anachronisms.
Eric Durso
Loved the section on figurative language. It's free on kindle.
Nancy Linville
Easy straight forward with no frills.
Adam
Showed me just how bad my grammar really is.
Minnie
You'll know when a writer is stirred by a noble theme.
Vinay
Vinay is currently reading it
Jennifer Higdon
Jennifer Higdon marked it as to-read
Julia Davies
Julia Davies is currently reading it
Abhay Shankar Anand
Abhay Shankar Anand marked it as to-read
Kat L
Kat L marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • FREE 25 Language Phrasebook
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • The History of England 1
  • Write Good or Die
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • How to Tell a Story and Other Essays
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • An Introduction to Philosophy
  • Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing
  • The Symbolism Of Freemasonry
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Getting the Words Right
  • CK-12 Chemistry
  • Lifehacks: 63 Ways to Save Money, Improve Time Management, Produce Great Work, and Increase Productivity (Guides for Lifehackers and Productivity Enthusiasts)
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • The Life of Buddha and Its Lessons
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
Dictionary of Synonyms & Antonyms Guide to Grammar and Writing : THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE and HOW TO SPEAK AND WRITE CORRECTLY Pilgrims and Other Stories The Elements of Style Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary

“In the works of Shakespeare, the most wonderful genius the world has ever known, there is the enormous number of 15,000 different words, but almost 10,000 of them are obsolete or meaningless today.” 2 likes
“There is an old Latin quotation in regard to the poet which says 'Poeta nascitur non fit' the translation of which is— the poet is born, not made.” 2 likes