Start by marking “Creative Writing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Creative Writing for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Do you have an idea that you're burning to get down on paper? Do you want to document your travels to far-flung places, or write a few stanzas of poetry? Whether you dream of being a novelist, a travel writer, a poet, a playwright or a columnist, "Creative Writing For Dummies" shows you how to unlock your creativity and choose the genre of writing that suits you best. Walk ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by For Dummies (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Writing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Writing for Dummies

Angela Young
This is a MUST READ for any writer of fiction in any genre. I've read many books about writing and attended several courses (including an MA) but this book, because it's in this series I suppose, starts at the very beginning and misses nothing out (the things it's taken for granted that we'll know which we, I, often don't). So, for instance, it's the only book about writing in which I've found a definition of what literary fiction is (a book that delves deeply, psychologically, into its characte ...more
Robert Day
A very comprehensive and relevant book with both width and depth. Subjects include: how to get started with your writing, the elements of Creative Writing (character, plot, narrators, structure, editing etc.), different types of fiction and non-fiction and how to find a publisher as well as alternative routes to getting your work into the public's eye.
Every subject is covered and each is covered in useful depth such that I am left with the feeling that I need to own a copy of this book and refer
Heavenlypeachgarden
Good and imformative
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
I saw this book as an ebook download from my local library and thought I'd give it a go and see if it has any useful information in it that could be helpful to me. I'm so pleased that I borrowed it and I wouldn't hesitate in buying it if I was new to creative writing. It is worth the read. It gives some nice, simple and very useful information in all forms of creative writing, from novel writing and short stories, to play writing, non-fiction and even biographies.

Alice Oakley
This is one of those books about writing that has it all. Maggie Hamand discusses not only novel writing but poetry, screenplays, autobiography, and non-fiction. Each chapter covers a different topic and goes in-depth with helpful hints, websites to visit and exercises to try. One of the most detailed books on writing I have read so far. One star taken off, though, because it ruined the ending of Anna Karenina, which I haven't read yet!
Tina Cousins
Really good and encouraging, not like other "how to write" books which makes you feel like you have to right certain things and not others, it encourages you to write for the sake of loving to right, it encourages you to be yourself.

D. Wayne Moore
I thought this book was very helpful in explaining the writing process to the beginning writer. I often refer back to it whenever I get stuck on some technical points.
Seawood
Comprehensive and basic; nice to see a UK version.
Tammy
I thought it was okay
TutAnchAmoun
TutAnchAmoun marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Simon Prior
Simon Prior marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Shahan
Shahan marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Amanda Gee
Amanda Gee marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Mark Millares
Mark Millares marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Alexander Aung
Alexander Aung marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Topaz
Topaz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Charmaine S
Charmaine S marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Harracuda
Harracuda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Ciara Butler
Ciara Butler is currently reading it
May 15, 2015
Patrick Brewer
Patrick Brewer marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Sarah Pullyard
Sarah Pullyard marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
De
De marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Hosea Rivera
Hosea Rivera marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Dr Siddharth
Dr Siddharth marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Ogunleye Olumide
Ogunleye Olumide marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Mads Larsen
Mads Larsen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
  • English Grammar for Dummies
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • Criminology For Dummies
  • Philosophy for Dummies
  • The Five Minute Writer: Exercise And Inspiration In Creative Writing In Five Minutes A Day
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
The Resurrection of the Body Creative Writing Exercises For Dummies Underwords: The Hidden City Creative Writing Exercises for Dummies Words Made Flesh: Twenty One Stories From The Complete Creative Writing Course