Start by marking “Creative Writing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Creative Writing for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Do you have an idea that you're burning to get down on paper? Do you want to document your travels to far-flung places, or write a few stanzas of poetry? Whether you dream of being a novelist, a travel writer, a poet, a playwright or a columnist, "Creative Writing For Dummies" shows you how to unlock your creativity and choose the genre of writing that suits you best. Walk ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by For Dummies (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Writing for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Writing for Dummies

Angela Young
This is a MUST READ for any writer of fiction in any genre. I've read many books about writing and attended several courses (including an MA) but this book, because it's in this series I suppose, starts at the very beginning and misses nothing out (the things it's taken for granted that we'll know which we, I, often don't). So, for instance, it's the only book about writing in which I've found a definition of what literary fiction is (a book that delves deeply, psychologically, into its characte ...more
Robert Day
A very comprehensive and relevant book with both width and depth. Subjects include: how to get started with your writing, the elements of Creative Writing (character, plot, narrators, structure, editing etc.), different types of fiction and non-fiction and how to find a publisher as well as alternative routes to getting your work into the public's eye.
Every subject is covered and each is covered in useful depth such that I am left with the feeling that I need to own a copy of this book and refer
Heavenlypeachgarden
Good and imformative
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
I saw this book as an ebook download from my local library and thought I'd give it a go and see if it has any useful information in it that could be helpful to me. I'm so pleased that I borrowed it and I wouldn't hesitate in buying it if I was new to creative writing. It is worth the read. It gives some nice, simple and very useful information in all forms of creative writing, from novel writing and short stories, to play writing, non-fiction and even biographies.

Alice Oakley
This is one of those books about writing that has it all. Maggie Hamand discusses not only novel writing but poetry, screenplays, autobiography, and non-fiction. Each chapter covers a different topic and goes in-depth with helpful hints, websites to visit and exercises to try. One of the most detailed books on writing I have read so far. One star taken off, though, because it ruined the ending of Anna Karenina, which I haven't read yet!
Tina Cousins
Really good and encouraging, not like other "how to write" books which makes you feel like you have to right certain things and not others, it encourages you to write for the sake of loving to right, it encourages you to be yourself.

D. Wayne Moore
I thought this book was very helpful in explaining the writing process to the beginning writer. I often refer back to it whenever I get stuck on some technical points.
Seawood
Comprehensive and basic; nice to see a UK version.
Tammy
I thought it was okay
Bharathisen
Bharathisen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Hani
Hani marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Eldnguyen
Eldnguyen marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Eman
Eman marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Zainab Helal
Zainab Helal marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Iona Blunt
Iona Blunt marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Iam
Iam marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Sam Gregory
Sam Gregory marked it as to-read
Dinosaurio Zanahoria
Dinosaurio Zanahoria marked it as to-read
Liza
Liza marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
James Jackson
James Jackson marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • Philosophy for Dummies
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
The Resurrection of the Body Underwords: The Hidden City Words Made Flesh: Twenty One Stories From The Complete Creative Writing Course Uncut Diamonds: A Selection of New Writing Ten derden dage