Start by marking “Unnatural Selections” as Want to Read:
Unnatural Selections

Unnatural Selections (Far Side Collection #12)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,138 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Hot on the paws of the howling success of Wiener Dog Art comes the new Far Side masterpiece Unnatural Selections. Including more than 100 cartoons in their book debut, it also unearths an original four-color insert created by Gary Larson especially for this twelfth collection. Journey back in time as Larson does for evolution what he previously did for art.
Published October 28th 1991 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published October 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Unnatural Selections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unnatural Selections

Evan
Things start off a bit strained in this 12th collection of Far Side toons. Larson was nearing the end of his run by the time this early 90s compilation came out, and the ideas overall seem weaker than in the early days. But, people, this is the Far Side, the funniest panel comic ever, and Larson does not disappoint for long. Once again we have dumb humans with names like Bob, Russell, Gus, Rex and Stuart (I suspect there's probably a bluehaired bespeckled Edna in there somewhere as well) sufferi ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way, way back in college (in the mid 1980's), I used to tape The Far Side comic strips on my notebooks so I would have something fun to read during a boring lecture. I worked for my step-father packing antiques for shipping and we used newspapers as the packing material. So, whenever I got to the funnies section, I would cut of the The Far Side comic strips and keep them. But when I left that job, I no longer received the newspaper, and therefore missed out on the comic strips that are shown in ...more
Mark
Feb 23, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: far-side, comics
This is the twelth Far Side collection (originally published in the UK in 1991 - I read the 1992 Warner Books edition) and although it starts slowly, it soon finds its rhythm and includes some real gems. There’s also a great little joke on the “other books…” page, where ‘Moby Dick’ has an apparently hand-drawn line through it. Of the panels themselves, my favourites included “Big Bob’s Ballbearings, Bananas, Roller Skates & Floor Wax inc.”, “The Dam Bursts” (the fall out when you put a Migra ...more
Brandy
Sep 06, 2015 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a darker collection, but I still chuckled all the way through - finding a Far Side Collection I forgot I had is always a nice way to start a Saturday.
Jody
Jun 23, 2015 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and sarcastic. Two things I really enjoy.
Valerie
I'm going to have to dig in my set-aside pile again. I know I have at least one of the 'gallery' Far Side collections.

Along with Sidney Harris, Gary Larsen is one of the favorite cartoonists of scientists. Dilbert may be more favored by the engineers, but I don't know of any insects named after Scott Adams. But there IS a species of louse named after Gary Larsen: Strigiphilus garylarseni.

Not surprising. Larsen's cartoons are (or were) far and away the most common posted on faculty office doors
Dan Schan
Apr 05, 2015 Dan Schan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toilet-books
mildly amusing
Amber the Human
Favorites from this book: Tyrannosaurs Mex, the one about the old guy and the clamp on his head, and the melting professor. Only when describing a Gary Larson book do those three things make sense together.
Jen
Feb 02, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larson has some pretty funny ideas about how to lampoon society using cartoons, especially cartoons involving cows, snakes, and deer. There are some good ones in this collection, but none of them are particularly funny enough to get me to keep the whole book. Read it, laugh at it, return it to the library.
Melanie
Oct 20, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Gary Larson is one of the kings of comics. He is able to make a single frame hysterical and no matter how many times I read his comics, they still crack me up. If you haven’t picked up one of his comic books, do it! You won’t regret it! They are positively hilarious!
Daniel
Yet more of Gary Larson's off the wall humour for fans to enjoy. Larson's cartoons are certainly not mainstream but for anyone who loves humour that is a little bit different this book is a delight. Quirky artwork abounds, as do the bizarre scenarios of L
Cyn
I recognized quite a number of these, and laughed out loud more than I should probably admit. I am going to blame/thank Gary Larson for my fondness for incredibly corny puns and animal visual gags. Nerd humor par excellence, no hollow hipsters need apply.
jacky
Feb 11, 2008 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2008
I love Far Side cartoons. I quickly read this collection during a prep period to see if there was anything I could use with my units this school year, but I didn't see anything that applied. Still great cartoons, especially the ones that are subtle.
Peacegal
Jul 31, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember when there was actually something to look forward to in the Sunday comics? Nestled among the banality was The Far Side, the delightfully offbeat and nerdy one-panel series.

I enjoyed a lot of laughs with this one.
Dominick
Late Far Side collection, when Larson was no longer hitting it out of th epark consistently. There are many good strips here, but more than a few duds, and few that would qualify as classics.
Tara Calaby
Sep 16, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-strip
The Far Side comics aren't my absolute favourites, but they're still a good way to spend a tea break.
SmarterLilac
Nov 18, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it
Hee hee. I think Gary Larsen is one of the funniest people ever.
Bunny
Aug 14, 2009 Bunny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-09
Why do I remember Far Side being funnier than this?
Alfons
Oct 24, 2012 Alfons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Far Side....always good for laughs.
Curtiss
Yet another collection of Far Side cartoons.
Curtis Jensen
Jan 02, 2012 Curtis Jensen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Some witticisms; not enough though.
Charles
Jul 25, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Gary Larson. Far Side. Nuff Said.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
he is genius in cartoon form
Jun 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-comic
So funny. Made me giggle.
Remez
Remez rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Steve Rainwater
Steve Rainwater rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Shonna Marshall
Shonna Marshall rated it it was amazing
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Gard Reian
Gard Reian rated it it was amazing
  • Shave the Whales
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Wildly FoxTrot
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • Take Our Cat, Please: A Get Fuzzy Collection
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side