Start by marking “Crafting and Executing Strategy: The Quest for Competitive Advantage: Concepts and Cases” as Want to Read:

Thompson, Strickland and Gambles', "Crafting and Executing Strategy, 17e" presents the latest research findings from the literature and cutting-edge strategic practices of companies have been incorporated to keep step with both theory and practice. The chapter content continues to be solidly mainstream and balanced, mirroring both the best academic thinking and the pragmat ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Irwin/McGraw-Hill (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting and Executing Strategy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting and Executing Strategy

Kas
Jun 21, 2011 Kas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 5-stars
I read this book as a part of my strategic management class, which is required for my degree.

The book is intense! It is heavy with information, but is nicely presented with many graphs and illustrations to supplement the work.

The first 3/4 of the book are the chapters with content. This book goes through how to execute a business on a VP level, and goes through smaller businesses to multinational corporations with several SBUs and a global strategy.

The last quarter of this book is real life case
Not exactly a book you want to curl up with (unless you're looking to fall asleep) but I'll give it credit for being well laid out and easy to follow. It offers some good advice for basic strategy formulation, although I think they could have widdled down the chapters (some of them were rather repititous from one paragraph to the next). My favorite aspect of the book were the insight boxes. Concepts are much more interesting when you can apply them to actual companies, and they picked some of th ...more
Renita
Dec 06, 2012 Renita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
The material is written in s very straight-forward manner that doesn't require much interpretation or instructor explanation. Unfortunately the major downfall of this book is that the cases are fairly outdated, many having not been updated since early 2010. The cases themselves are excellent in that they allow the student to use the theoretical knowledge from the front half of the book and apply it to the case analysis.
Khaled Aljabri
Read the last three chapters about implementing the strategy. And Focusing on the diagrams, case studies and blue boxes which summarises the ideas for nearly each page in few sentences.
As most academics books, too much said with little new insights. But the Reading section had little more insights than other parts of the book.
Renee
Apr 27, 2012 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adequate book. The beginning chapters are quite useful, with general information on the business process, strategy, etc. The later chapters are geared more towards large corporate businesses, and for someone like me, these parts are fairly useless. However, I do see the merit in this book being used for a capstone class.

A very expensive textbook, as one would expect.
Kasandra
Jul 11, 2012 Kasandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting case reviews, straightforward advice and information, far more interesting than your average college textbook. I found myself reading the whole thing, even though it wasn't required for class, and will definitely keep this one.
Stephen
READ SEP 2008

Good summary of core concepts and tactics to craft and implement organizational strategy.
Maryanne Ross
Maryanne Ross rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Steffani Garza
Steffani Garza rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Steve Lawson
Steve Lawson rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2015
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
mpfrom
Apr 27, 2008 mpfrom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Required for my class. Feel my pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
May 02, 2008
Lilymadness
May 24, 2014 Lilymadness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read for class
Seth Looney
Seth Looney rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2016
Daniel Villegas
Daniel Villegas rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Mariano Camberos
Mariano Camberos rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Alex Lindquist
Alex Lindquist rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
Karl Schraml
Karl Schraml rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Test
Test rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Craig A Stubbs
Craig A Stubbs rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Gracie
Gracie rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Laurel Bousfield
Laurel Bousfield rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2015
Lisa
This is what I'm reading now for my Strategic Management class for the next six weeks.
H
H rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Essentials of Business Communication (with www.meguffey.com Printed Access Card)
  • Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels
  • America: A Concise History, Volume 2: Since 1865
  • Essentials of Corporate Finance
  • Financial Accounting [with CD-ROM]
  • For Freedom's Sake: THE LIFE OF FANNIE LOU HAMER
  • Business Ethics: Ethical Decision Making and Cases
  • Mastering Public Speaking
  • The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health - And What You Can Do to Take Control Now
  • Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • All The Days Of My Life (So Far)
  • Experiencing the World's Religions: Tradition, Challenge, and Change