Kitchen Science

Kitchen Science

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This book takes the mystery out of creative cooking by requiring love, imagination, art -- and science from the cook. Hillman's years of experience render cooking conundrums comprehensible and transform the way we approach food.
Published April 22nd 1983 by Houghton Mifflin

Irina
I learned a lot from reading this, and it's safe to say that I was already a huge food-facts nerd! It really will help me bake and cook better because I understand more scientific principles. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys spending time in the kitchen. The format makes it extra easy to read - it's basically in FAQ form so it's easy to skip around to the topics you're interested in and skim where you feel like it. The author has a pretty interesting tone and matter-of-fact sense of humor t...more
Tara
Thanks to my friend Aaron for loaning me this one. I'll have to get my own copy; there was simply too much useful information in here for me to remember. As a novice cook, there are a lot of kitchen basics of which I am simply ignorant; this book was the perfect manual for all the simple things I never knew.
Stephanie
I'm not going to finish this, not because it isn't good, but because in 50+ pages, I haven't encountered anything new. Good book on the science of cooking, but Altan Brown already taught me this stuff.
Chelsea
Jun 14, 2007 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who eat
Shelves: science
This book is great for understanding the biology and chemistry of why and how things happen in the kitchen.
Chiazotam
...incredibly useful, helpful, and eye-opening!
Miriam
Dated. Written in 1981. Revised 1989.
helpful reference
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, food
Marilou
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Margarita
Margarita marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Anthony Martin
Anthony Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Blckfrnk
Blckfrnk marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Moh Xuanyan
Moh Xuanyan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Sy Koh
Sy Koh marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Niket
Niket is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2014
Constance
Constance marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Great Peasant Dishes of the World The Art of Winning Foundation Grants The Art of Winning Government Grants Art of Winning Corporate Grants Howard Hillman's Kitchen Secrets