Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)

Dead Air (Sammy Greene #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Talk is cheap, but when this radio host takes action, she may pay the ultimate price. An outspoken, brash, native New Yorker, Sammy Greene isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers at Ellsford University, her ultraconservative New England college. Host of The Hot Line, a talk-radio show on campus station WELL, Sammy tackles the toughest, most controversial issues facing Ellsfo...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dead Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Air

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
226th out of 1,351 books — 6,702 voters
The Ghost Files by Apryl BakerBad Girls Don't Die by Katie AlenderThe Ghost Files 2 by Apryl BakerAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeKings & Queens by Courtney Vail
Best Teen Horror/Suspense/Thriller
90th out of 203 books — 589 voters

More lists with this book...

Janice
Dec 05, 2012 Janice rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Sammy Greene is a student at Ellford College in New England where she hosts her own radio show on the campus station WELL. She does not mind tacking controversial topics and ruffling feathers along the way.

This story centers around several suicides on campus that Sammy thinks are suspicious. One was her professor Dr. Conrad who she had visited the night before the suicide to get an interview. She returned as she left something at the house and found him dead. She is suspicious and being a journa...more
Sandy
My book group just read this- we'd already read Rabbit in the Moon last year and enjoyed the author's work. This one was very different- a fast-paced medical thriller with amateur sleuth and radio talk show host, Sammy Greene solving the mystery of why fellow students are suddenly dying and disappearing on her college campus. The book kept me up at night and made me think. I can't wait for the next book in what I understand is a new series. Sammy is my kind of heroine.
Jim
"Dead Air: A Sammy Greene Thriller" is the book's full name.

This would be 6 on a 7 point scale (or 4.5 on a 5 point scale). A little overboard on the religious group and two dumb blondes in a row--come on. We've had dumb blonde stereotype for a long time (research dumb blond and you'll see it's been centuries--there's even two correct ways of spelling blond/blonde). I'm tired of them. Let's move on . . . (No, I'm not blond--never have been.)

It moved quickly and coherently. The Kindle version had...more
Darcy Odden
When Sammy Greene, Ellsford University communications major and host of the talk show "The Hot Line," finds the body of professor Barton Conrad at his home, her investigative skills kick in. Conrad's death is considered a suicide, but Sammy is not convinced.

Sammy learns that students and faculty at Ellsford University are committing suicide at an alarming rate and she means to find out why. Sammy's mother also committed suicide so this cause is personal. Raised by her Jewish grandmother in New Y...more
Betty
A rash of student suicides has hit the campus of Ellsford University! What can be the cause? Sammy Greene is determined to get to the bottom of things as a reporter and talk-show host for W.E.L.L., the campus radio station. She is tough, dedicated, and prone to exclamations in Yiddish, a result of being raised by her traditional grandmother. She plans a Memorial show for the most recent, a young man with a great future ahead, a talented musician and composer, and homosexual.

Interviews with profe...more
Katie Kenig
This audiobook kept me company in the hospital until I got to disc 4. If I had downloaded this for pay I would have been furious; but this was checked out online from the library. You see, disc 4 got steadily faster and faster and no adjustments to my playback speed on my iPod could make a difference. Halfway through, I was listening to a chipmunk on speed. Much past that it wasn't understandable at all so I had to skip the rest of that disc. Whether or not that affected my enjoyment of the book...more
David Batchelor
Dead Air is a thrilling murder mystery set in a slice of life at
a fictional university in Vermont during the early days of
research on a vaccine for the growing AIDS epidemic. The
heroine is a spunky student at the university who hosts a
weekly talk show on the campus radio station, and has a
courageous drive to investigate a series of suspicious suicides
of students and faculty. Her name is Sammy Greene, a
well-rounded and sympathetic character with admirable
virtues of wit, a strong sense of th...more
Nathan J
"Dead Air" by Deborah Shlian and Linda Reid tests your knowledge in how to connect prior facts to events that happen later in the book.

What happens is that in the beginning of the book they tell you something happened and they gradually give you facts about that event later and you have to draw a conclusion to see if you get it right. The authors do this because they want to keep your attention in the book and they want to reveal as little at possible to keep you reading to find out whats going...more
Barbara Mitchell
I've been staying close by my husband while he's been ill. While doing that, I read a book I downloaded free to my Kindle from Oceanview Publishers called Dead Air.

I had no idea what to expect from this book since I didn't know the authors, the series, or anything about it. However, I'm glad I tried it because I like the gutsy, caring heroine and the writing style of the authors. It served to keep my mind from wandering to my worries, which is a great recommendation under the circumstances.

The h...more
Jennifer Moore
Anita
I read this book because it was free on my kindle. The story line has the typical twists and turns of a detective novel which I am a sucker for. However as a scientist I was a bit offended at the journalist as hero and scientist as enemy construct. I was also a bit put off by the constant reprisal of AIDS being a world-ending epidemic, but maybe that's because now its basically cured.
Pamela Barrett
The prologue captures your attention, something sinister is happening to the students on this quaint New England campus. In Chapter One all the threads are laid out for Sammy Greene to unravel. This medical mystery reads like a made for TV movie-fast paced and well developed characters. Sammy Greene is in over her head. Can anyone be trusted? Enjoyable read.
Carol
Received as a GoodReads Giveaway book. Interesting story, but Sammy, the main character, isn't quite my cup of tea. As a college radio journalist/amateur sleuth, she just did WAY too many things that were dangerous, foolhardy, illegal and flat-out stupid for my taste.
Stacey Bergeson
Maybe I liked it so much because I'm tired of romance novels. This was a great mystery with a surprise ending. I'd like to find more of the Sammy Greene thrillers and add them to my work library. I think they would be a great asset.
Rebecca Heath
Dec 14, 2011 Rebecca Heath rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
An engaging heroine, an absorbing plot, what's not to like? Sure, I guessed the villain, but who cares?
Marcella
A freebie Kindle book. It was a quick mindless mystery - nothing too clever or mind twisting here.
Mary Ellen
Couldn't finish this book - too preachy and full of cliches to interest me.
Josh
Very good book, just not quite my style!
Debres
Jan 21, 2010 Debres added it
it was a good book and nice to read
Hannah
Feb 10, 2010 Hannah added it
yahh i soowant to read this
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
True
Heather Bishop
Heather Bishop marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Cindy Chapman
Cindy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Classic 1 4 May 20, 2011 01:43PM
  • Shadow of Death
  • Motion To Kill (Lou Mason, Mystery #1)
  • Capitol Reflections
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Double Exposure
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter, #4)
  • The Noon God
  • House Report
  • Getting Sassy
  • Someone's Watching
  • Implant
  • The Fallen
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin #1)
  • Mad Money
  • 4 Gigs of Trouble
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Shelf Ice
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
Deborah Shlian a physician, medical consultant, and author of non-fiction and fiction (medical mystery/thrillers). She practices medicine and often co-writes with her husband Joel Shlian.
More about Deborah Shlian...
Rabbit in the Moon Devil Wind (Sammy Greene, #2) Wednesday's Child Double Illusion The Experiment