Start by marking “The Best American Science Writing 2009” as Want to Read:
The Best American Science Writing 2009

The Best American Science Writing 2009 (Best American Science Writing)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Edited by Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times columnist and bestselling author Natalie Angier, The Best American Science Writing 2009 collects into one volume the premier science writing of the year. Distinguished by new and impressive voices as well as some of the foremost names in science writing—Oliver Sacks and Atul Gawande among them—this anthology provides a compre ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Ecco (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Science Writing 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Science Writing 2009

Mark Ferguson
Sep 15, 2009 Mark Ferguson rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series, and every year, about this time, I scour the shelves where I work to find a copy as soon as it comes off the presses. Last year's edition included a lot of articles about medicine and very few about engineering, robotics, physics, and all that other good stuff, and was a bit of a disappointment. This year's edition is probably my favorite since I started reading the series in '06. It has a really broad range of essays, and is COMPLETELY fascinating from start to finish. I rea ...more
Tomislav
Oct 29, 2014 Tomislav rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
The first half of this book is mostly tiresome reprints of "human-interest" articles on medicine, psychology, and sociology. This was not what I was expecting from the title at all.

By the second half, however, it began to interest me a little more. I felt inspired to do some quick research on a few follow-up questions of my own: Golden rice is fertile; impoverished farmers would not become dependent on annual purchase of new seed; at least not overtly. Microloans of Association to Safeguard the
Andres
Jan 29, 2010 Andres rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
I've been reading the other "Best American" science anthology for a while now (different publisher) and am more than happy to have found a parallel series to dive into. An added feature is commentary from the authors about the article they wrote, included in the "About the Contributors" section. As with other collections I'll just list those articles that I especially liked.

The First Ache by Annie Murphy Paul
Explores the debate surrounding the question of when a fetus is first able to feel pain.
Jackie
Jul 12, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Favorite (and available) essays:

The Itch by Atul Gawande

Blocking the Transmission of Violence by Alex Kotlowitz

Want to Remember Everything You'll Ever Learn? Surrender to This Algorithm by Gary Wolf

Kate Mollohan
Dec 07, 2010 Kate Mollohan rated it did not like it
I'm behind in my reading of the "Best American" series of science writing (and of the other version, "Science and Nature Writing") but I put this one on the top of the stack because it is edited by Natalie Angier, who is one of my favorite science writers. It's a good thing, because it turns out her essay was the best in book.

One widely published author, whose work I genuinely and often admire, made a grave mistake in describing research; he actually used the phrase "just a theory"--and not in a
Mandy
May 02, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of articles on many different science topics. I buy about one of this type of book towards the end of every year with the hope of keeping up with what's going on in science. However, obviously, I'm quite a ways behind on my yearly reading. My only complaint is that some of the articles were dated and information has now changed. This is my fault however, not a criticism of the book itself.
Toby
Mar 24, 2010 Toby rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
A really excellent collection exploring science topics through accessible personal essays. Subjects are as diverse as tooth decay, light pollution, the torment of itching (someone actually scratched so uncontrollably and continuously in their sleep, that they scratched through their skull to their brain!), and contagious cancer, which has been identified in animals.
Ron
Apr 07, 2010 Ron rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! The mix of articles in this years book was way better that previous years. All the articles were entertaining, enlightening and fun to read. The articles on Dark Matter were very good and I hope I live long enough for science to "discover" or disprove it's existence. Ending the book with a fake article from The Onion was pure genius.
Lindee
Mar 08, 2010 Lindee rated it liked it
what can i say....same old same old...i can only read about dark matter and sub-atomic particles so many times and while i find them fascinating, there are only so many ways to slice them to make them interesting...however, there was one very short piece that I liked a lot, about a nurse and her first code...kind of made me cry. Just a little.
Alex
Apr 08, 2010 Alex rated it really liked it
I'd recommend getting this compilation for Atul Gawande's article "The Itch" alone, though there are several other excellent pieces in the book. Read the Intro last, as it spoils some of the stories. This series seems to be less consistently good than its Best American Science & Nature counterpart, but still worth checking out.
Veach Glines
Nov 08, 2009 Veach Glines rated it it was ok
Many of these articles seemed "retreads", in that I've read articles, similar ones, in other locations (which is not improbable) yet I had not already read each of these articles themselves. Dark Matter, Asteroid Impacts, Autism, etc, etc.
Jack
Nov 27, 2009 Jack rated it it was amazing
excellent brain candy. atul gawande's 'the itch', david quammen's 'contagious cancer', and gregg easterbrook's 'the sky is falling' are highlights. natalie angier is this year's editor and selected some incredible stories.
Kevin McAllister
Dec 27, 2009 Kevin McAllister rated it it was amazing
Credit has to be given to the editor of this book as well as the writers themselves. A bountiful array of different topics all excellently documented, and every single essay was just as fascinating as the one that preceded it.
Oct 29, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this series of books and think this is the best one yet. All the essays are thought provoking and who doesn't love a science book that ends with an article by The Onion?? Highly recommended.
Amy
Jun 25, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: geekery, nonfict
This was great - like a big long Discover magazine.

Word of advice: don't read the first article while eating a sandwich with guacamole spread.
Phil
Mar 25, 2010 Phil rated it really liked it
Some of the best science articles from last year's from of the best magazines. How could this be bad?

I like it!
Julie
Oct 29, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, science
Some very good writing and lots of stories about current science. Or at least recently current science.
Tim
Feb 09, 2011 Tim rated it it was ok
this guest editor managed to find the least interesting articles written by the worst writers...
Steve
Sep 19, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
It's science writing. It's easy to read, but a few of the stories are very interesting.
Elise
Nov 23, 2009 Elise added it
Great stuff on various subjects, including a hilarious essay on evolution from The Onion.
Mike
Dec 23, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-science
Excellent, but I'd read many in theit original publications.
medi
Sep 28, 2010 medi rated it liked it
i'm not one to judge, but the science herein is a bit "soft".
Brian
Feb 25, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
My first go at these "Best American...", I was pleasantly surprised.
John collins
Oct 17, 2010 John collins rated it really liked it
Shelves:
So far a bit dark and medical. But grat.
Barry
Apr 12, 2010 Barry rated it it was amazing
I like Natalie Angier selection
Samra
Aug 19, 2011 Samra rated it it was amazing
Nice collection of science writing.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Giorgos Keramidas
Giorgos Keramidas is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Yumna Hari
Yumna Hari is currently reading it
May 16, 2016
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2004
  • The Best American Short Stories 1997
  • The Best American Essays 2009
Natalie Angier is a nonfiction writer and a science journalist for The New York Times.
More about Natalie Angier...

Best American Science Writing (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Best American Science Writing 2000