Start by marking “The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)

The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  13,078 ratings  ·  482 reviews
The sisters Grimm come face to face with their parents' kidnappers, and are stunned when one of them turns out to be the famous fairy-tale character and the other a killing-machine known as Jabberwocky. Without the presumed-dead Mr Canis fighting at their side, the girls have little hope that they'll ever be reunited with their mother and father.
Published September 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Problem Child, please sign up.

Cinder by Marissa MeyerElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineScarlet by Marissa MeyerPrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgeThe Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Classic Fairytales Retold
37th out of 232 books — 144 voters
The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 6 by Charles M. SchulzCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonJudy Moody by Megan McDonaldThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 2 by Charles M. SchulzThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 8 by Charles M. Schulz
If you like these books you are cool
110th out of 132 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Justyn Rampa
I adore this series.

I deeply, deeply love this series!

In fact, reading this series makes me feel like I did when I was reading all the Harry Potter books. Not that Sisters Grimm is a direct correlation to Harry Potter, but in some ways yes, they are very similar. Our main protagonist is struggling to come to terms with losing their parents, to fulfill a destiny of which they previously had no idea, and their world is full of fantastic and terrifying characters.

The difference of course is that S
Catherine
Wow! This series just keeps getting better. Buckley deals with some heavy material -- mental illness and addiction -- all within the context of fairy tales and magic, and in an entertaining way that children can understand.

I can't help but compare Buckley's treatment of the fairy tale creatures with the TV series Once Upon a Time, which I watched for a while. (I gave it up earlier this season when (view spoiler). I just couldn't watch the soap op
Chelsea
Nov 28, 2007 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Nicole, Hillary
With every book in this series, my love grows exponentially. They're a little like Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, except all of their literary in-jokes are fairy-tale related. (Which, I suppose, makes them more like his Nursery Crimes series, actually.)

Buckley is great with characters, especially little Daphne. (who will never, ever get less charming and sweet. Are there any other seven year olds asking for vocabulary lessons and practicing martial arts, while consistently having more ins
Sara
Chak
I am no longer recommending this series to people based on the amount of murders and violence, and also based on the author's treatment of The Little Mermaid character. The author identifies her as fat (she does not look "fat" in the picture), and as such, portrays her as petulant, out of control, horrible and unlovable (since she got "fat"). Really bad message to send to girls (and pretty much everyone else), Buckley. However, my son loves this series, and I am entertained by the large majority ...more
Jan Mcdaniel
The Problem Child, written by Michael Buckley. Michael Buckley is the New York Times bestselling author of the Sisters Grimm and the NERDS series. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife and son. The Problem Child published in 2006 by Amulet Book, an imprint of Harry N. Abrams, Inc. The Problem Child is the third series of The Sisters Grimm. The setting takes place in Farryport Landing.

The first scene started out with Sabrina and Puck, one of the two main characters, attempting to escape from the ja
Natalie G.
This book is about two girls named Sabrina and Daphne Grimm. Who, go on an adventure to find the Scarlet Hand, and their disappearing parents Henry and Veronica Grimm. The setting is taken place in Ferryport Landing. The point of view is told by Sabrina Grimm. Some major characters in the book are, Sabrina Grimm, Daphne Grimm, Granny Relda, Little Red Ridding Hood, Uncle Jake, and Puck the Trickster King.

I thought this book was the best book out of the series so far. I thought that the writing
sj
The Problem Child is the third Sisters Grimm book in a series of [runs off to check]...nine. Really? Nine? Holy crap, I should have checked into this before I got The Boy all into them.

Okay, so I talked a little bit here about why I'm reading these, and the ARDUOUS PACE my 13y/o is setting for me. He doesn't cut me any slack when it comes to these, because he hasn't yet picked up his mother's bad habit of having eleventy billion books going at once.

So what did I do all day today? I finished this
Jessica Thlick
This book was recommended my the other Sisters Grimm book. In this book Sabrina Grimm has found out that both to her parents or missing and are being kept hostage. Sabrina and her sister Daphne are trying to find different ways on how to find there parents. Her grandma helps them figure out who is keeping them hostage. My favorite quote is " You want me to be your boyfriend ,don't you?.....Before she knew how to react, the boy kissed her on the lips. A million thought run through Sabrina's head ...more
Logan H
*****Spoiler Alert*****

I really liked the story, especially since you learn about Red Riding Hood who you picture as the sweet little girl, when she's a TOTAL psychopath. The murder of her family, drove her mad. She has started taking members of families to replace her family. She's kidnapped Sabrina and Daphne's parents, and soon their only family. Grandma Relda. Red Riding Hood teams up with a monster called the "Jabberwocky" I didn't like that thing especially since it almost killed Puck, my
Natasha
Jan 02, 2008 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery and Fantasy lovers
I like this book, alot, It's continued from book 2. This is my FAVORITE series so far. I personally love it! It has some romance, but not mushy mushy stuff. More like hate first then love. Its good though, boys would like puck, older girls would like Sabrina, and younger girls would like Daphne. The elders would probably like Granny Relda or Mr.Cancis. I personally like Sabrina and Puck, Sabrina is the main chracter though. Spoliers* I can't believe that puck actually does what he does in this b ...more
Erin
The books started getting a bit creepier and better from here on. Most kids authors don't bring up mental health (another reason why the characters should've been aged up and this series been put in YA or at least Teen) but it was done well and tastefully. Can I just say again that I LOVE Puck??? Wishin he was 15 though...because that's how he acts when we're supposed to go "Oh, he's 11". I think Buckley forgot how young 7 and 11 are. I can easily believe, knowing many 11 year-old-girls, that th ...more
Melissa
This is the 3rd book in the Grimm Sisters series.

I was back and forth between liking the book and being annoyed by the main character. I understand the point the author was trying to make with the magic corrupting someone and having to pay the price for taking the easy way. However, I just ended up annoyed with Sabrina and her attitude and wondering when she would ever learn not to be stupid.

Daphne is probably the most interesting character in the series and she is the least written about, wis
Jj
Book 3 was very enchanting and captivating. I enjoyed the details and realism of the book. It gives that childhood feeling. In this book, Sabrina has found her parents, but they are asleep and being held captive by Little Red Riding Hood and her pet Jabberwocky.

Things get a little crazy when Jacob Grimm comes in the picture. He gives the background history to the Brothers Grimm.

At the very end it leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions and endings that has transpired through the whole book
Dean Tucker
Ok, I read the entire series straight through and since I didn't write a review for each one and the stories have started blend together (and I know the various reveals), I am going to write one review for books 2 through 9.

The series was enjoyable, but uneven for me. Most of the books never seemed like mysteries with detectives. In some of the books the characters seemed to happen upon events, clues, etc. There were assumptions and gaps in logic, and several characters personalities seemed to s
Cassi
You know what. I've read harry potter and i still say this is my favorite series ever. I absolutly love Puck and the sparks between him and Sabrina are starting to show. Out of the entire series, This is definatly my Favorite. I'm still waiting for thelast book (WHich will be awesome). BTW. Don't say this is for readers not ready for harry potter. This is for readers who outgrew harry potter! This is a wonderful series that is not to be put down by harry potter! Grrr. Best book evr!!!!!
Meg McGregor
I simply love this series. They are a combination of fairy tales and mysteries. Most of the time I can solve the mystery about halfway through but not this time. And I was absolutely astounded to learn who had caused the Everafters to age and some even to die from old age.

Daphne and Sabrina are very young detectives, and along with Uncle Jake and their Grandmother, they are never bored in Ferryport Landing. The chief mystery to be solved, is to find their parents, who were kidnapped 18 months e
Ponytaorponyboy
Madison T
When I originally started the sisters Grimm series, it was because a friend had recommended them to me.
I thought, ok, so I ordered the first four books from my library, and started to read them.
In book one, it took me quite awhile to get into the book, I just wasn't feeling it at all! My friend had said they were amazing! but, nothing really amazed me at first.
When I got to the middle of the book, something clicked, and I couldn't put the book down! I devoured the rest, and grabbed book two, and
Amy
Jul 18, 2015 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone especially people who like fiction, fantasy, fairy tales, mystery...
Recommended to Amy by: Goodreads
Maya
The Problem Child is very interesting. Sabrina and Daphne's world is turned upside-down when they find out who has their parents, and they have to get them back! Puck and Sabrina's love is obvious, but they don't know it yet. I honestly could read this series over and over again, and I would never get tired of it! This is my favorite book series in the world! <3
Anna Mari
Sabrina and Daphne continue the search for their parents, while the Ever Afters in town find more reasons to dislike them. They meet their parents kidnapper (they think) Little Red Riding Hood and her pet 'kitty' the Jabberwocky, who wreak havoc every time they show up.
Their Uncle Jake shows up with his addiction to magic and introduces Sabrina to it. She is hooked and finds the power she is given from magic to be exhilarating, and she too is addicted.
The family Grimm must defeat the 'kitty' and
Cruth
Author: Michael Buckley
Illustrator: Peter Ferguson
First Published: 2007
Pages: 292 pages
Setting:Smalltown contemporary. Ferryport Landing on the Hudson River.
Includes: Excerpt from Once Upon a Crime

Somewhat scarier than the first two with nods to addiction, becoming power hungry, nightmares and the death of loved ones, Problem Child was both a riveting book and an off-putting one. Parents may wish to tread carefully.

(view spoiler)
Alley Kat
This was my favorite book in the series so far for sure. It once again addressed the main problem of finding Sabrina and Daphne's parents, this time adding two new character into the mix Red Riding Hood and Uncle Jake. It had a little less Puck which was disappointed but at least explained.
Daisy
I am totally enjoying these books, so far this series has only gotten better. This was the best to date, it was also the darkest. Don't think for a minute these books are a cakewalk, there is some pretty scary stuff going on here.

If you are a reader of the original Grimm tales you know that there are a lot of unpleasant deeds in them so darkness it no stranger to fairy tales. However, over the years these tales have been sweetened and sanitized and most people only know those versions. When peo
Sarina
I think I love this book so much is because of the whole Sabrina and Puck thing, which I did not ever think would happen, even though it was obvious after re reading the series. I remember putting the book down and squealing for a full 5 minutes and it was all I could think about afterwards.
This is the first book in the series that I feel had an unpredictable plotline. I loved the ending and felt Uncle Jake's betrayal deeply, even though he didn't necessarily betray the family.
I loved the idea
Kayla
I really like this book, it had a lot of exiting moments in it. Also I thought it was funny when the sisters told Puck if he went with them to the (hospital) they could all go to the overpass and toss eggs at passing cars.
Scott
I had the same problem with book three in this series as I did with book two: Sabrina can be a real headache. She softened a little bit in this one, and there's a little more Daphne to soften the blow, but still. I also thought the Red Riding Hood storyline got a little too dark in this book. I read this aloud to my daughter, and I found myself glossing over a couple of parts. RRH's backstory is pretty hardcore for a kid's book, especially a book at this reading level.

Even though we have the fo
Dolly
This is the third book in The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. It's a whimsical romp through the different fairy tales, with myriad characters coming into the story.

interesting quote:

"She couldn't believe her first kiss had been from a dirty, smelly Everafter surrounded by a bunch of screaming chimpanzee pyromaniacs." (p. 146)

"'Funny thing about time; it takes care of most problems,' Granny said. 'If you wait long enough, even a mountain becomes a valley.'" (p. 250)

Kathleen Fung
I love this vook its really funny because Puck kisses Sabrina and them Daphne said "did you two kiss and make up?"
How spectacular was this book?! 14 30 Sep 08, 2014 01:37AM
  • Dragon's Breath (Tales of the Frog Princess, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Who's The Fairest?
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #2)
  • Into the Woods
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist (Emily Windsnap, #3)
New York Times bestselling author Michael Buckley was born in Akron, Ohio. He tried his hand as a stand-up comic and lead singer for a punk rock back before attending Ohio University. After graduating with honors he moved to New York City to be an intern on the Late Show with David Letterman which led to stints developing programming for Discovery Networks, MTV, MTV Animation and Klasky Csupo (pro ...more
More about Michael Buckley...

The Sisters Grimm (9 books)
  • The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1)
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)
  • Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm, #6)
  • The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, #7)
  • The Inside Story (The Sisters Grimm, #8)
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)
The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1) The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2) Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5) Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm, #6) Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)

“The only bad ideas are the ones never tried.” 93 likes