Start by marking “Cemetery World” as Want to Read:
Cemetery World

Cemetery World

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  834 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Earth: expensive, elite graveyard to the galaxy. Ravaged 10,000 years earlier by war, Earth was reclaimed by its space-dwelling offspring as a planet of landscaping and tombstones. None of them fully human, Fletcher, Cynthia, and Elmer journey through this dead world, discovering human traits and undertaking a quest to rebuild a human world on Earth.
Published June 1st 1993 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cemetery World

Mel
Feb 17, 2016 Mel rated it it was amazing
I can't remember where I first heard of this. I thought it was from a goodreads friend but no one seems to have reviewed it that I'm friends with. But this was just AMAZING! I can't believe I've spent so many decades reading science fiction and never come across this author before.

I LOVED this. A woman historian, robots who'd lived 1000s of years, ghosts, and a post-apocalyptic Earth that had been reborn. The book reminded me most of Peter Beagle's work. There was a gentleness to the characters
Johnny
May 25, 2015 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
What begins, well, after a bit of exposition, as a classic survivalist tale ends up as a puzzle concerning alien intervention (perhaps, a deus ex machina and time-travel. At times, Cemetery World seems to be a cautionary morality tale about corporate greed and the futility of warfare (indeed, a peace message reverberates through the entire plot) and thuggery. It is no surprise that Simak introduces time-travel and bucolic landscapes; he’s done that on several occasions(most notably Way Station a ...more
Jordan Anderson
Nov 30, 2011 Jordan Anderson rated it did not like it
Wow! I’ll cut right to the chase: “Cemetery World” is one of the most horrifically written, sloppily conceived, and all around terrible excuses of a novel I have ever had the misfortune to read.

After reading the stunning classic “A Canticle for Leibowitz” I couldn’t distance myself from a book set centuries (hell, millennia) into the future and at the quick glance, “Cemetery World” could almost be an unofficial and accidental sequel to “Canticle”; humans return to Earth from space 10,000 years
Christopher
Jun 02, 2013 Christopher rated it did not like it
my gosh this book was pretty terrible. I went into it with an open mind having read nothing else by this author. The whole story is a disaster, so very poorly put together that the badness at one point changes to pure laughs. Sadly it is not intended to be funny...

To avoid giving anything interesting away to the unfortunate souls who stumble upon this in the near or distant future, I will conclude by saying if you have a child, ask them to write you a story called "Cemetery World", and they will
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza

Quando il genere umano si sarà diffuso su tutti i mondi della Via Lattea, che ne sarà della Terra? Il pianeta verrà abbandonato, dopo le spaventose guerre che per poco non distrussero completamente l'umanità. Nelle sue distese agresti vivono ancora dei superstiti, ritornati alla civiltà patriarcale degli antenati; e forse, nelle valli sperdute, vagano ancora le antiche e terribili Macchine da Guerra, per metà meccaniche, per metà umane. Ma un poco di Terra rimane sempre nel cuore di tutti i terr

Mindaugas Biliauskas
Pati "Kapinių planeta" - nieko konceptualiai įdomaus, banalokas siužetas. Bet 2 apsakymai knygos pabaigoje - verti dėmesio.
Latoya Faraday
Aug 11, 2015 Latoya Faraday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Он повернул голову и посмотрел на меня в упор. Если бы я не знал, что роботы не умеют плакать, я бы подумал, что заметил в его глазах слезы.
- Сколько мы забываем... - проронил он."

"- Я развел костер, - сказал наконец Элмер. - Я развел бы его, даже если бы нам не нужно было готовить еду. Земля просит огня. Они неразделимы. Благодаря огню человек перестал быть дикарем и потому постоянно поддерживал его в очаге."

"..Однако вы не представляете, что такое война. Война - возвышенное безумие, греховная
Dani
Sep 15, 2009 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Rather disappointing - I was told Simak is one of the best at sci-fi, and all I saw in this book was adventures. Which is not bad to read, but nothing more. Not to speak about the idiotic discussions of the characters which were supposed to be a bit more intelligent than that.
Maureen
Feb 26, 2009 Maureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, novels
Peter
Jan 10, 2012 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2012
I have fond memories of reading Simak way back in high school, when I read a number of his books for the once a year sci-fi book report assignment. I always wondered if the teachers really wanted us to read sci-fi or if it was some kind of obligatory bow to some kind of pressure from one particular teacher in the department who did enjoy sci-fi. The Simak books I chose most likely made my teachers wonder if I had made the whole thing up considering how surreal and odd so many of them are, at lea ...more
Scott Marley
Apr 16, 2013 Scott Marley rated it really liked it
I first read this back when I was twelve or so and since then barely remembered any of it. I had to do a book report on it so I was in essence being forced to read it. Let’s face it book reports were always the worst and before the internet it was difficult to fake one that looked like you actually read it. That’s probably why I remember so little of it however it’s not all bad. For old time’s sake I decided to snatch this book from its safe confines on the shelf and bend open a half deteriorate ...more
Matthew
Jul 15, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Clifford D. Simak is a name that any hardcore science fiction fan will be familiar with, but for some reason his works haven't become as popular in the present day as some other authors. Which is a shame, really, because he has some of the best conceptual work that I've come across. The books that I've read of his have all been phenomenal (City, A Heritage of Stars, and now Cemetery World).

Cemetery World is one of those great, almost unknown works. On the surface the book appears very simple, bu
Ira
Feb 05, 2011 Ira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of classic sci-fi, my review of this book is admittedly biased. Simak is one of the often overlooked writers of his time, buried by the volumes of dreck other's turned out.

The plot is well conceived and the characters are more than two-dimensional. The back-story Simak includes serves its purpose but makes one wonder if there couldn't have been other stories prior to this one. Nevertheless, this is one of the few books I've recently read that I had a hard time putting down. Not a long b
Христо Блажев
Oct 30, 2011 Христо Блажев rated it really liked it
Корпоративно гробище Земя – гид Клифърд Саймък

Корпорациите могат ли да купят смъртта? Или пък родната планета на човечеството? Оказва се, че и двете неща са напълно възможни в “Гробищен свят” на Клифърд Саймък.

Изминали са прилично количество хилядолетия от последната война, унищожила родния дом на човечеството. То все пак е имало достатъчно разум да се разсели и сега цялата галактика е осеяна с обитаеми планети. Родната Земя малко по малко се е възстанов
J.P.
Jan 12, 2012 J.P. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cristián
Feb 21, 2015 Cristián rated it liked it
It had a good start. Interesting plot and setting, but as the story develops you notice that what you thought could be an interesting fight between the main characters and "the bad guys" doesn't become as exciting as expected.

It's still a nice and short book.
John
May 07, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1981 grade A
2010 grade A
მირიამ მაიმარისი
არც კი ვიცი, რატომ წავიკითხე ეს წიგნი ბოლომდე. საკმაოდ საინტერესოდ დაიწყო, თუმცა 1/3 არ მქონდა წაკითხული სრულ აბდაუბდად იქცა.
Erik Graff
Feb 22, 2012 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I've always had a problem with Simak. His being so popular so long, so available, I've read a lot of his work, but often at a distance, his way of writing being generally off-putting.

In any case, I read this while working at The Mission of Our Lady of Mercy on Racine and Jackson in Chicago, shortly after graduating from seminary. Despite the years, I still remember some of the content and of being disappointed by his treatment of the promising set-up.
Andy
Slightly disappointed with the ending, but on the while a "ripping good yarn". A lot of detail (too muc?), delivered via expository dialogue which helps keep the page count down, but can jar a bit.

Seems more a product of the sixties than the seventies, surprised it was published 73, seems older than that, somehow.

quick note about cover: mine, for some reason, had a futuristic jet fighter on, which never makes an appearance in the book...
Andrew
Nov 07, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
I read this book in my early teens as a three-part story in Analog magazine...thought it was great! Just reread it; it stands up fairly well, however the hackneyed love story in it I could do without. It's rather like Simak threw in a female character just so she could fall in love with the (slightly annoying) male narrator. The most human character was Elmer the robot. Still glad I reread it, although I will probably never pick it up again.
Arthur
Nov 20, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine the world like our own, only thousands of years later. Earth a cemetery for the dead shipped from other populated planets where humans sought haven at the end of a war. It's been restored more or less after a war that erased human culture. Humans and significant descendants. Speculative fiction published in 1973 this is a rare story about human survival and the survival of our world, culture, myths etc..
Michael Hall
This misses the mark when it comes to expectations of a book by Simak... It's sloppily written in a rambling mix of genre crossing plot points and weak characterizations that read like a bad idea conceived after far too much late night sci-fi on television. There were times in which it showed promise, but the usual Simak charm was not found here -- definitely not one of my favorites.

Tristan Broomhall
Sep 08, 2011 Tristan Broomhall rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not the strongest Simak title but once again he's imagined the unimaginable. The concept at the centre of the story is novel and unique, and like most Simak tales, there is plenty of adventure and truly original protagonist. However, it does read a little like he had all the right ingredients but just didn't set the oven right and the result's a tad perculiar tasting.
Moe Cheezmo
Sep 24, 2013 Moe Cheezmo rated it it was ok
A welter of concepts, each one of which might have made the basis of a good novel. As it was, though, this was a mishmash of insensible plot twists, deus ex machinae and utterly incomprehensible motivations. Potboiler, I'm afraid. The extra star is because it was just so full of interesting ideas that were barely addressed, and frankly unnecessary, but still fascinating.
Joey
Feb 01, 2012 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I opened this book with an open mind never having read a novel by Simak before and finished it actually surprised. I found it to be slow, not only in dialogue, but also with the storyline progression. I was very surprised at the end and how it all tied in. Not a great novel, but one i enjoyed
Benjamin
Apr 23, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written, but what I loved the most was it's creativity. At no time could I predict where the author was going to take the story. He was always adding interesting twist and turns. Very fun read! Look forward to reading more books by this author!
Justin Howe
Aug 17, 2012 Justin Howe rated it liked it
At varying points in this novel one character will say to another "This makes no sense", and they're right. This book makes no sense -- but it makes no sense in the same way Alice's Adventures in Wonderland make no sense.
João Sousa
Apr 25, 2016 João Sousa rated it liked it
Shelves: argonauta
"Cemetery World" has many of the elements typical of a Simak book. If you are familiar with the writer, you should know exactly what I mean. Unfortunately one of these elements is the Deus Ex-Machina ending.
Russalia Kovacheva
Mar 26, 2016 Russalia Kovacheva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simak
Definitely not Simak's best. I was waiting for something to happen throughout the entire book, but unfortunately, nothing did. None of the characters were really revealed, everything was somehow unfinished.
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Snowfall (Snowfall, #1)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Long Loud Silence
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • Untouched By Human Hands
  • Worlds of the Imperium (Imperium, #1)
  • Plague from Space
  • Второе нашествие марсиан
  • Wolfling
  • Vendetta for the Saint
  • Cats In May
  • Child of Fortune
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • After Doomsday
  • Damnation Alley
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...