Straight Talking

Straight Talking

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  12,252 ratings  ·  261 reviews

Meet Tasha—single and still searching. A producer for Britain’s most popular morning show working under a nightmare boss, Tash is well-versed in the trials and tribulations of twenty-first century dating. She and her three best friends certainly haven’t lived the fairy tale they thought they would: there’s Andy, who’s hooked on passion, but too much of a tomboy to have mov

Published August 26th 1997 by Arrow (first published 1997)

Erin
This was one of the books I started in the last few weeks. I couldn't commit to any others and wasn't too into this one either. One day I got stuck without anything else to read and ended up just deciding to finish the damn book.

It was no Jemima J, lets put it at that. I hate when you find an author you really like and then find out that you started with their best book. Oh bummer.

I will say that this book has one of the hottest sex scenes ever ever ever. I was flustered at work when I was readi...more
Janel
This book reads like a long, long letter from one of your shallow and promiscuous girlfriends. The narrative includes the reader by asking your opinion once in a while, and addressing the story to you which makes the reading feel like a two way street in a way which is kind of fun and intimate. It's sort of like a sex in the city British style except the characters are less ambitious, less mature and less diversified in their personalities. The main focus of the story is a young 30 year old Engl...more
Shannon Berry
They say not to judge a book by its cover, however, the content of this book is true to its title: STRAIGHT TALKING. This book is perfect for ANY WOMAN, especially a single woman, who is going through the motions of relationships. Whether good or bad motions, Straight Talking covers every spectrum of emotions of what women deal with when dealing with men.

The main character, Annastasia aka: Tasha, is so relatable and real, it's like you've known her all your life. Her struggles and situations, a...more
Julie
This is my least favorite Jane Green book to date. I just felt continuously annoyed with the Tasha. What I found most annoying was that the book was written as if she's sitting beside you telling you the story. That drives me insane! "Hang on, the doorbell's ringing." Really, is that necessary? Should I stop reading while you answer the door? Isn't that the purpose of saying hang on? "You may as well join us," (umm, ok thanks for the permission to keep reading) "sit down, kick your shoes off," (...more
Tori S
I'm going to come right out and say that I actually loathed this book. I don't usually get to say this due to not continuing on once I know a book isn't for me. But this was a quick read and I really wanted our lead, Tash, to redeem herself beyond the shallow, vapid character she was in the beginning. But she doesn't. She is looks-obsessed, not only for herself and the gents she is thinking of dating, but she also comments on her friends; in particular one who is dowdy in appearance as an extens...more
Jodi
I loved this book. It's about relationships and how the main character realizes that she falls in love with her best friend when it is too late and she comes close to ruining their relationship. The ending wasn't as detailed as I wanted it to be and was left open for your imagination. Overall, I really enjoyed the book.
Min
How I love Jane Green. Excellent Brit chick-lit, and close second behind Marian Keyes.

As chick lit is wont to be, this has a predictable ending... until the predictable ending gets a little unpredictable.

I love that the ending isn't... well, typical of a chick lit book.
Heather
Loved this book! Be prepared to be surprised/shocked in the first 50 pages with just how 'straight' Jane Green is with her readers. A bit into it...this way of talking to the the reader will grow on you and then you'll quite enjoy the fact that you really get to be inside this girls head...finding out just what she's thinking and most of the time you'll probably relate. It's just all of those things you think about but never really put into words or don't have the guts to say aloud...

My favorite...more
Carol
This is purely beach-reading. Not a lot of thought, not a lot of surprises in the plot, but a switch-off, relaxing and possibly even mindless sort of girlie book. I have a weakness for these types of books and after reading some legit types of literature, I turn to them for a break.
Shannon
because its Jane Green and she writes about everything her characters are thinking and over thinking I really enjoyed it. I was not crazy about the main character but would have kept her as my friend just would have been more like Mel is all. could not believe how many comments i got about the cover, seriously now its not that oooo, but then learned they were questioning the title, like straight as opposed to gay, what are you reading? and im like straight like to the point duh! they say it as i...more
Raquel
I normally jude a book by its cover, and yes i do mean an actal book cover. When i read the reviews to this book I thought to myself, "How will I ever like it?" Well I LOVED it!! If you are in your mid to late 20's and single, this is the book for you. I could not stop laughing! the characters are so on point and the story lines eminate reality. jane Green did not hold anything back. This book was one of my favorite books. So lesson is, don't go by the cover of the book, or by what people say. g...more
Allyson
This was a very quick, fun read. It broke all the rules. I hate first person, loved the narrator. I hate when the narrator speaks directly to the reader ("Hey reader, what do you think?") but it worked in this book. It's not a masterpiece, by any means, but if you're looking for a simple, fun book, this is a good choice. Jane Green is a hit or miss with me. When she tries to be too serious, or pull too hard at the heart, it doesn't work (The Beach House). But when she lets her quirky characters...more
Jacqueline
i didnt like it,i didnt like the way that it was written,i found the talking straight to the reader format embarassing to be honest, and i really disliked tash. the only reason i finished it was out of pure boredom,i found tash so whiny and annoying,and extremely self-centred - i know it wouldnt be realistic if the lead of every book was perfect but i found it impossible to find one thing i liked about her!
Tawni
Oh my. Where to start? The main character is a self absorbed tart who got a happy ending. The book was a long drawn out book about "poor-pity-me I'm 30 and not married". She sleeps with guys hoping and praying they'll be so wowed they'll start a relationship with her. Of course she ended up with a good guy in the end, whom she didn't deserve. I would not recommend anyone to read this, it is a complete waste of time.
Kelly
I liked this book - I'm always a little skeptical of narratives like this that speak directly to the reader, but once I got over that it was a pretty quick and fun read. There were times where I wanted to strangle the narrator because she just seemed so out of touch, but then I realized that it's what made her seem like a real person. Who hasn't made stupid decisions when it comes to dating and love?
Maria (Ri)
I am really glad that I finally decided to read this one. Oh, Jane Green! I just wanted to shake Tasha so many times in the story, but at the same time I was really pulling for her. This made me think a lot about my relationship with my husband. Passion, comfortability, friendship... Great read all around.
Linda
I related to the psychological issue of not being good enough and not knowing what you have until it's gone, counseling sessions were like counseling me, very sexually explicit, very easy to read, diary style like I was reading her inner thoughts.
Margaret
This wasn't the Jane Green that usually makes me laugh out loud although there were some moments where I smiled to myself.

Tasha is 30, single and looking for the right one, but the passion must be there. She's loved 'em and left 'em and she's had some love her and leave her as well. But now Tasha knows she has found THE ONE in Andrew. Well, he was THE ONE until he left her. Another one bites the dust and Tasha is not handling it well.

Tasha tells the reader her story in a very matter-of-fact way;...more
OctoberWoman
Tasha, the heroine of the story, who also narrates directly to us, the readers, is a very messed up woman who's definition of the perfect relationship is skewed. She goes from one hot passionate relationship to the next, never understanding why it all goes belly up. Her most recent serious relationship was with Simon, who she still desperately misses and wants back. Fortunately, she's in therapy, trying to learn to deal with her issues. In the meantime, she shares with us her life.

Tasha is the...more
andidandy19
I think a novel's strength is how relatable the characters/set/plot are; moreover, wit and candidness of the dialogues and narratives would reflect the author's creativity and uniqueness. I started reading Jane Green's Babies cos of 'Jemima J.' being that I could see myself in the scene, and I loved Green for that. However, 'Straight Talking' lacked the charisma 'Jemima J.' has brought into the table. I am not comparing the two in terms of storyline and other details, but on the 'magic' a novel...more
Kylie
Anne
Jul 24, 2008 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: you
Hmm...
pertama, buku ini direkomendasikan Ririn4ever..hahahah
soalnya jarang baca chicklit ato teenlit....ga biasa aja.
tapi ternyata pas udah dibaca..inget terus kocaknya buku ini..
Bagi gw milih2 pasangan itu wajar, banyak pula yang nuntut kriteria ini itu namun akhirnya ga sesuai dan kandas di tengah jalan...
yah apa boleh buat...
novel ini juga mengingatkan gw ma komik Lover Discovery..

Kedua, novel ini menghibur sekali saat lagi BT atau lagi sedih karena bisa menumoahkan keluh kesah dengan sindira...more
Keri
I'm about to give up on this book. I have tried to give Jane Green more chances than I can remember giving any other author. I loved Bookends, thought Jemima J was just ok and a little weird, and I could have gone either way on Mr. Maybe. Now comes Straight Talking.

The back cover description does NOT give a good overview of what to expect with the book. It's not really about her friends. It's mostly just the main character and her utter inability to choose the right guy. She sleeps around with...more
Barbara ★
This is chick lit with a capital C. Tasha is neurotic (her therapist proves this) and obsessed with sex and men. She falls in love immediately and chases every guy off with her stalkerish behavior (heck she leaves her tooth brush at a guys place on their second or third date WTH?) No wonder the guys run. She has four friends and spends a good portion of the book, picking them apart (to the reader not the friends). With friends like Tasha who needs enemies. She seriously annoyed the hell out of m...more
Mcrumpsf
I've read Jemmima J and to me it was a bit juvenile but a cute little beach read. So when I saw this book by Jane Green, I was bit reluctant to read it. I'm so glad I went ahead and read the damn book because it hit home.

Some reviewers have commented on on Tash's character, her shallowness, her penchant for dissing her friends who she loves, but I think these are the things that humanize her and keep her charcter from being a Mary-Sue type.

I loved that Tash's character is a woman who has been...more
Got this one super cheap, pretty sure I didn't pay but a few cents for it. I've heard that Jane Green books were good and I've recently read another one of her books and I read another last yr. I'm really happy that I have a huge collection of her books, but I really like her as a writer. I haven't read many of her books to really make a judgement how this book is better or worse than her others but you see it at a local library, pick it up its worth the read.

I enjoyed this book, its about a gir...more
Nowheregirl
I love Jane Green. I love most of her characters. But I really hated the protagonist. hated her
she is just so messed up. And in a bad way. you know you have your typical chick-lit characters who are messed up in a cute way. She was messed up in a bithcy way.
seriously, she is insecure, whiny, immature, selfish, self-absorbed, materialistic, has no personality whatsoever. oh and she is also a sl#t.
urgh. really. the ending would have been better if a truck had hit her. with a funeral. or atleast i...more
Brittany
Jamee Crosby
Very decent read. I like Jane Green's writing style. This book wasn't as enjoyable as Bookends, but I liked it.

Quick, effortless chick lit. I will say, Tasha although relatable and a bit insightful was sooooo fucking annoying. Ugh. I also had a had time imagining what she looked like. All men seemed to view her as the sex goddess, but then I envisioned her as this frumpy woman. I think that was due to inconsistencies in description.

I also, don't like the ending. How the hell do we know everyth...more
Stacey
Wow, I'm glad that I did not skip over this book based on the negative reviews that it has received on here. I enjoy Jane Green's novels (all to date). This was no exception. Realistic relationships and real life happenings.
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • The Other Side of the Story
  • American Girls about Town
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Girls Night in (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • The Next Big Thing
  • Hit Reply
  • Testing Kate
Jane Green's fifteenth novel, Tempting Fate, is soon to be released; she is the author of fourteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels. Initially known for writing about single thirty-somethings, she has gone on to write mature stories about real women dealing with all the things life throws at them, with her trademark wisdom, wit and warmth.

A former feature writer for the Daily Express in...more
More about Jane Green...
Jemima J: A Novel about Ugly Ducklings and Swans Mr. Maybe Bookends The Beach House The Other Woman

“That's how it is with relationships, it's a part of life, and all the great love songs and poems and films have been written by people who were standing where I was that morning as Simon shut the door. Doesn't make it any easier though. ” 55 likes
“Sometimes I think it’s me. I think I must be doing something wrong, giving out subliminal messages so they can smell the desperation, read the neon lights on my forehead . . . “KEEP AWAY FROM THIS WOMAN, SHE IS LOOKING FOR COMMITMENT,” but most of the time I think it’s them. Bastards. All of them.” 5 likes