Start by marking “Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small” as Want to Read:
Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small

Animal Magnetism: My Life with Creatures Great and Small

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Rita Mae Brown's first memory is the sound of a deep, rumbling purr. From the cat that slept in her cradle to the horses, hounds, cats, and chickens who live on her Virginia farm today, Brown has always been surrounded by animals.

Listeners will meet Mickey, a long-haired tiger cat who joined Rita Mae on childhood exploits; Franklin, her grandmother's parrot with a wicked
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 30th 2009 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Magnetism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Magnetism

Jessica
Aug 01, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually quite excited about this book when it came out, but was terribly disappointed by its content. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a book about the animals Rita Mae Brown created special bonds with throughout her life, because Animal Magnetism actually provides a lot more detail about the sport of fox-hunting than it does anything else.

The book automatically lost a star due to the amount of breeding that goes on throughout the book. Spay and neuter your pets, Rita Mae Brown! The
E.
Dec 30, 2009 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable look at some of the animals that have shaped author Rita Mae Brown into the person she is with fascinating glimpses at the humans and animals that have served as the background for her enjoyable mystery series. Filled with Brown's acerbic and pithy observations of humans, politics and society, this book gives one a heartwarming insight into the invaluable role animals play in our daily lives. Thankfully, the author has a deft ability to paint word pictures that are immediately under ...more
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
This book brought me to tears and then had me laughing in the next instance. I feel so at home with Ms. Brown in all of her books. Here I got to look in all of her cupboards and closets and really understand the woman. I loved what I found. She is like a long-lost sister who understands how I feel about animals and what our relationship should be with them. Read this book to if you want an insight into how she is inspired to write her fiction. I believe she writes what she knows.
Sharon
Jan 07, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms Brown did a very great job with this book. I learned more about myself and my animals from this book. Things that had never come to mind. I appreciate this book and am glad I choose to read it. I won't go into any detail as I'm afraid of giving too much away and spoiling this book for other readers. I highly recommend this book.
Sherrill Watson
Feb 24, 2016 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See Denise's and E.'s review, below.

I've been reading the Sneaky Pie Brown books every time one comes out, and the "horsey" books too, although there were a little too many details about riding to hounds for me. I really enjoyed getting to know the real animals in Ms. Brown's life, and her life on the farm. Unlike some of the reviewers, I didn't find each chapter being a separate segment a problem. And yes, I laughed, and cried, and laughed again. I find I agree with her on nearly every issue.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I did not finish this book. Ms Brown's "Sneaky Pie" series was my first real encounter with modern formula fiction, which took root in the 80s and is now taking over many branches of the book market, rather like kudzu. I enjoyed her first few books, but once the parameters of Crozet were in place, they all became a bit samey. Mind you, the samey can be said of much "popular" fictional output today. The novel series has taken over from the serial novel of the 19th century...leaving the reader wit ...more
Denise
Nov 26, 2009 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animal Magnetism is a simple, straightforward account of the animals that have inhabited Rita Mae Brown's life. The stories of the cats, dogs, horses, birds, and foxes (there is even an opossum!) that have touched her reveal life lessons that all animal lovers can relate to. Brown often gets on her soap box about issues such as animal abuse, government, and city life, but she does it in such a down to earth, humble, and direct way that it is hard to disagree with her. The love and appreciation s ...more
Morgan James
Sep 10, 2015 Morgan James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rita Mae Brown at her best. Her true stories of life with all creatures wild and tame sprinkled with unique spot-on observations of the humankind is a great read. Warnings though, if you have even one ounce of compassion and love for animals, you will shed a tear or two.
Cindy
Feb 18, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates Rita Mae Brown.
I truly enjoyed reading this autobiography, and yes that is what I would call it, of author Rita Mae Brown. If you are not already a fan, don't start here. Read Ruby Fruit Jungle and at least several books in one of her mystery series. Once you are a solid fan, come back to it and you will get a better understand of Ms. Brown as a woman and a writer. Essentially, each chapter offers a life lesson based on the author's experiences from childhood through adulthood with a particular animal and his ...more
Brandy Bacala
Jul 29, 2012 Brandy Bacala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-time
Honestly, this might be the worst book I've ever read. It's so unfocused and feels like a rough draft or someone's journal. Rita Mae Brown attempts to bore her reader's to death by going into such extreme detail about anything and everything you don't care about. As an animal lover myself, I was disappointed in how little of the book is about her pets or her connection to them. Instead the book spends way too much time describing fox hunting and how she is kind of a shitty pet owner in general. ...more
Shelley
Dec 18, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you're a fan of any of Rita Mae Brown series, if you are an animal lover you'll enjoy this book.
LibraryCin
Sep 22, 2013 LibraryCin rated it really liked it
Author Rita Mae Brown based some of her mysteries on one of her cats, Sneaky Pie. As an animal lover, she has written this memoir about all the various animals she has known and loved, including cats, dogs, horses, and various wildlife.

As an animal-lover myself, I really enjoyed this. I agree with a lot of what she has to say, and disagree with some, but then I'm a city-person and she's a country-person and having grown up in a small town, I do realize that we see things differently. However, i
Christina
Nov 29, 2011 Christina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories
Two stars instead of one because I did laugh out loud in a few instances, smirk in many more, and enjoyed the author's "voice." But it is two instead of three or more because the content was all over the place. It was like reading someone's personal notebook of freewriting. Enjoyable, perhaps, but when you merely write along with your trail of thought it often meanders and takes detours. It's easy for other people to get lost when they try to follow you. Reading this book occupied my time until ...more
Marti Dahlquist
Meh. A lot about animals, but unless you love them as much as she does....There was nothing wrong with the book, but nothing great about it either.
Sherry
Aug 11, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read non-fiction but truly enjoyed this
Kim
Oct 18, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be so interesting. I'd really never heard of Rita Mae Brown but this book just caught my eye at the library. I'm so glad I read it. I love hearing others points of view especially when they are so different from my own. I found her to be an extremely fascinating woman and I really admire her passion. There were parts of the book that went way over my head (all the hound hunting) but I appreciate all her enthusiasm. It makes me want to read some of her books....in fact I chec ...more
Lola Kittenx
bleh, so much bleh
Joyce
May 11, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, 2014
I love her views on animals but I could do without the politics
Olympia
Dec 26, 2012 Olympia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
This book is based on all the animals that have come into the author's life, and the lessons she learned from each one. Those of us that love animals and have pets this book will help you to understand the animals in our lives and what they can each us. Enjoyed reading it, perhaps now I will understand the two fur balls that live with me better. :)
Rena Jane
Mar 01, 2011 Rena Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a Rita Mae Brown book I didn't love and enjoy, and regret when it came to an end, and this one is no different.

Her respect and love of feathered, furred and other animals makes me miss my favorite cats who have passed on and long for a time when I can have a four-footed companion again.

Tonya
Dec 04, 2012 Tonya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this author's works of fiction. There were many stories I enjoyed in this book, but found my mind wandering and not really interested in a lot of the book. Too much wandering and political ranting to fit my taste. My expectations were animal stories, not personal views of politics, economics, etc...
Trudi
Apr 26, 2010 Trudi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non fiction. Delightful reminiscences by Rita Mae Brown of the animals she has known and loved. She really makes the dogs, cats, horses, etc. come alive for the reader. And her love for all animals is apparent in every chapter. A quick read and one that would be enjoyed by all who love animals.
Debra Arthur
Feb 10, 2010 Debra Arthur rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I enjoyed every page. As a native Virginian, farm owner, fox hunter and hunted with Al Tawes and the bassets - how could I not enjoy every word! It made me reflect on all the animals that have come through my life and how much they have ment to me too.
Debra
Very uneven. Parts were wonderful, discussing Ms Brown's lifelong relationship with animals. But then she'd veer off on a political or economic tangent, a rant about opinions differing from hers, which took away from the book. Not recommended.
Jun 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rita Mae Brown has written fiction with animals (the Sneaky Pie cozy mysteries) and about animals (her foxhunting series), but this memoir is the true story of how her life has been enriched by the many animals she has known.
Teresa
Apr 27, 2010 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has read Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy or Sister Jane mysteries knows her devotion to animals, so this can be a delightful book. She does seem tell us more often than is becoming that she resents the minimum wage law.
Wendyann
Mar 29, 2012 Wendyann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book by Rita Mae Brown. It was enjoyable, heartwarming, funny and insightful. The world should have more people like Ms. Brown who are passionate about animals and the natural world.
Joella Tunnell
Nov 25, 2009 Joella Tunnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book, the author is a true animal lover, and has amazing insights about them esp. cats, dogs, & horses, as an owner of many of them. She turned my mind around about fox hunting also -
Anne
Jan 05, 2011 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-like
i was appalled at the lack of depth in this rich, rich area to explore. if a new writer tried to submit something like this through our current publishing houses in the US, automatic rejection.
Kate
Jan 02, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Love Rita Mae; love animals. Did not love this book. Too disjointed, no flow to the story, and lacking her trademark humor and wit. Loved the idea of this book, but couldn't read it.
  • The Tribe of Tiger: Cats and Their Culture
  • Becoming a Tiger: How Baby Animals Learn to Live in the Wild
  • The Wolf in the Parlor: The Eternal Connection between Humans and Dogs
  • Portrait of a Burger as a Young Calf: The Story of One Man, Two Cows, and the Feeding of a Nation
  • The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • The Cat and the Curmudgeon
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear
  • Going the Other Way: Lessons from a Life In and Out of Major League Baseball
  • When We Were Outlaws
  • The Blue Planet
  • And Then I Danced: Traveling the Road to LGBT Equality
  • Tales of the Lavender Menace: A Memoir of Liberation
  • Three by Annie Dillard: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, An American Childhood, The Writing Life
  • I Must Resist: Bayard Rustin's Life in Letters
  • Waiting in the Wings: Portrait of a Queer Motherhood
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...