Start by marking “Missing in Action” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Dirty. Lazy. Good-for-nothing. Jay Thacker is used to hearing himself called names because his dad is half-Navajo. But he's hoping, now that he and his mom have moved to stay with his grandparents because of WWII, that things could be different. Delta is a tiny town in Utah, nothing like Salt Lake, where they used to live. And Jay's grandfather is an elder in the church, a ...more
Published March 9th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Missing in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing in Action

Mary Louise Sanchez
Twelve-year old Jay Thatcher and his mother move in with his grandparents in a small Mormon, Utah community because his half Navajo father is missing in action in WWII which causes Jay to put his father on a pedestal as a war hero. Jay is thrust in the middle of action as he confronts prejudice as the boys in town nickname him, "Chief." Jay also confronts his own prejudices against the Japanese as he enjoys his friendship with the likeable young Japanese-American man, Ken, who lives in a nearby ...more
Grossmatthew
I thought the book was amazing it was one of the best books i have read in my whole life. Jay thacker is is a kid who likes to play ball, his dads off fighting in the war and they haven't heard from him in awhile. Everyone says that hes dead but jay thinks hes a prisnor in war. He and just moved to a small town in Utah and he doesn't have many friends. One night he is a a baseball field watching some kids his age playing some ball, one kid was trash talking the other teams pitcher. The kid yelle ...more
Tanthonycaotran
Missing In Action (MIA) is part of the Historical-Fiction genre. Its setting dates back to World War II (1939-1945). It has hope and friendship. The book relates to Soldier Boys and Search and Destroy. All the books (Soldier Boys, Search and Destroy, and MIA) are written by Dean Hughes. MIA relates to its other series with land, air, and sea warfare.

Twelve-year-old Jay Thacker moved to Delta, a tiny town in Utah. His father went to war to fight the Japanese, but Jay's family had heard that hi
Emma Nunamaker
By: Dean Hughes
Review by: Emma Nunamaker

I have never experienced any physical or verbal abuse from my parents or friends, but the author Dean Hughes made me feel the pain the main character Jay went through at the time. The story of Jay made me feel like I was him and made me feel the pain he was going through.

Jay was the main reason why i read this book. The reason is because the way he reacts to things. In the situations he was put in, i would have reacted the same way! Not
Patty Gourneau
I am on a quest to find young adult books that have strong Native American characters. Missing in Action fits the bill. Set in WWII, Jay moves to a small town where he deals with his own identity. His father is Navajo and MIA in the war, is one of few Native Americans in the area and is confused by a friendship that develops with a Japanese American living at an Internment Camp. A good read and one that I believe will be enjoyed boys with an interest in war, baseball and coming of age.
Melanie
Jay Thacker and his mom have left Salt Lake City and moved to Delta, Utah to live with his mom's parents. His father left for the war with the Navy and is officially Missing in Action. Jay is convinced his father will return and doesn't understand why his mother isn't as positive and won't pray as much as he does.

Jay is part Navajo and is often judged for it. When he finds a group of boys in the neighborhood who play baseball, he warily joins the group. The boys give him a hard time at first but
Maria
Jay Thatcher and his mother have moved in with his grandparents in Delta, Utah. His father is missing in action, when his ship was sunk in the Pacific. Delta is a small town next to the Topaz Japanese American relocation camp and Jay has a lot to learn about war, trust and prejudice.

Why I picked it up: I loved Hughes Rumors of War Children of the Promise series and I was curious about his WWII story for children.

Why I finished it: Powerful! And there are few that know about the Japanese relocati
Heidi
Too many print books to read, and so much need for sleep. It's making it difficult to finish print copies for me! But I enjoyed this read. I was curious about many things and was happy with what I encountered. I wondered about some stereotyping in it, but after talking with Tina some, I think I understand a bit more of it in the book and any offense I was wondering about taking, I don't feel to do so now. Quite a few things in one short book, but Brother Hughes still handled them all well. And a ...more
Brian
This book has a lot of heart. It's loaded with taboos, but mostly because it addresses a lot of taboo subjects and has meaningful things to say about them. Jay is confronted with racist stereotypes of Native Americans and has to overcome society's biases toward him. Jay, in turn, has to examine his own deep-seated biases toward Japanese-Americans. This book speaks eloquently about America's complex racial history and encourages readers to think about how they treat others who are different. The ...more
Maralise
I didn't cringe at his descriptions of LDS themes (well, maybe once) or think his characters were at all 2-dimensional. But there's something about the book that was supremely uninteresting to me. Maybe it's my fatigue with happily-ever-after LDS books (burn out from years of reading Jack Weyland), or my preference for a little grit, but the ending was rushed and the story suffered because of it. That being said, it was a relief to be reading an author that doesn't seem to care about the trends ...more
Heather
An interesting story about a boy who moves to Delta, Utah, with his mom to live with his grandparents. His father, who is half Navajo, is missing in action in WWII. Jay has to come to terms with who he is--part Indian--and becomes friends with a Japanese boy, who is living at the nearby Topaz Internment camp. As Jay tries to fit in with the other boys in the town, he learns more about himself and what's truly important in life.
LuAnn
A wonderful story about a young Indian boy who has moved with his white mother to Delta, Utah, after his father's Navy ship has gone done, and the friendship he makes with a Japanese youth living in Topaz as they both discover a love for baseball. It was interesting to look inside the hearts and minds of two different cultures, while finding that we all have more in common than we have that separates us from one another.
Marge
Nov 25, 2010 Marge added it
Shelves: jfiction
Jay's father is missing in action in WWII, Mom and Jay move to a small town in Utah to live with his grandparents. The town is near an internment camp for Japanese. How does Jay cope with being part Najaho, prejudice toward Japanese and his relationship with his family. A lot going on for a 15 year old to handle -
Linda
Jay is dealing with a lot of issues from his part-Indian heritage when he and his mother move in with his grandparents after his father is missing in action. His friendship with Ken, a Japanese American interred in a camp nearby has complications but also redemptive qualities.
Elisabeth W.  Rauch
A part Navajo boy makes friends with a Japanese boy in the small-town West during WWII. They bond over the way people judge them for their heritage and baseball. A quick easy to read historical fiction that would appeal to boys.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Different kind of World War II book. Great for boys who are fans of either baseball or historical fiction. Very multicultural and does a fine job of promoting tolerance.
Jana
I didn't know that Dean Hughes wrote YA books until I saw this at the library. It was a good story of friendship that I would recommend to 10-13 year-old boys.
Amanda
This would be a great story for boys 10-14ish. It was good but it wasn't great for a 30+ mother of 3. :) I've read other books by Hughes, but not his YA stuff.
Bekah
A fun quick read that gives a look at what it was like for Japanese Americans during WWII and also the racism a 1/2 Navajo boy faces at the time.
Joshualowe
I liked this book a lot. I thought it was very interesting and had good suspense. I would recomend this book to a friend.
Emilee
the story seems a bit slow, but I think because it was written to a younger age group; probably great for 10+ yos
Ben Campbell
I love how the author uses real historical events and places in this story. It makes it seem more of a reality.
Jolene
Jan 15, 2012 Jolene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jolene by: Teresa Garrett
I enjoyed reading this book. A definite page turner that leaves the reader feeling warm & good at the end.
Shari
Good historical fiction which explores prejudices prevalent in a small town in Utah during WWII.
Woohyun Jeong
I t was good considering that I don't like historical fiction that much.
Inoli
What Mr. Hughes did with the character of Gordy gave this its 4th star.
Corbin
I am realy liking this book. I think it will be a good one.
Mindy
Good friendship story. Got slightly teary at the end.
Sep 10, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-order
We don't have this recent title, and we should.
Krista
  • Double Eagle
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Revolution
6421982
Dean Hughes is the author of more than eighty books for young readers, including the popular sports series Angel Park All-Stars, the Scrappers series, the Nutty series, the widely acclaimed companion novels Family Pose and Team Picture, and Search and Destroy. Soldier Boys was selected for the 2001 New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list. Dean Hughes and his wife, Kathleen, have three ...more
More about Dean Hughes...
Rumors of War (Children of the Promise, #1) When We Meet Again (Children of the Promise, #4) As Long As I Have You (Children of the Promise, #5) Since You Went Away (Children of the Promise, #2) Far From Home (Children of the Promise, #3)