Start by marking “Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)

Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar #7)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  12,768 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
Edgar Award-winner Harlan Coben brings us his most astonishing--and deeply personal--novel yet. And it all begins when Myron Bolitar's ex tells him he's a father ... of a dying thirteen-year-old boy.
Myron never saw it coming. A surprise visit from an ex-girlfriend is unsettling enough. But Emily Downing's news brings him to his knees. Her son Jeremy is dying and needs a b
Published May 28th 2009 by Orion (An Imprint of the Orion (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Fear

Phrynne
Jan 05, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love a series which has consistent quality and this is one. Myron, Win and Esperanza keep giving, especially of their wit and sheer entertainment value. As well as the fun though this book includes a well developed mystery and I have to admit I did not guess the murderer until very late in the piece. As usual Myron has to work through various emotional issues and also as usual Win fails to acknowledge that emotion even exists. Lovely. I read it in one sitting.
Julie
Sep 21, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, thrillers, crime
Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben is a 2008 Dell publication. (Originally published in 1999)

Just when I think I have Coben’s style figured out, he switches gears in this seventh installment of the Myron Bolitar series.
If you have read the previous installments, you will remember Emily. (Not exactly my favorite person) Well, she’s back and has brought some shocking news to Myron, which causes him to launch a massive manhunt for a registered bone marrow donor.

The tone of this story was grim right fro
Cathy DuPont
Mar 26, 2015 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my very first, I'm quite sure, Harlan Coben. So how did I miss him? My GR friends read him ages ago but not me until now. I'm sure I was involved in something quite important when he was the "hot new writer."

To get the most out of Coben, I think his books should be read rather than listened to while driving. Don't want to sound preachy here but drivers need to concentrate on driving...I can't give my total attention to listening to a CD and drive carefully at the same time. To top it o
Richard
Dec 14, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
7.5/10

Another solid entry into the Myron Bolitar series. You sort of know what you're getting with these books by this stage. Witty dialogue with some sort of mystery that needs to be solved by Myron and his sidekick, Win, and some female person who Myron falls for.

Whilst never excelling it is steady along and has a few good ideas with a relatively interesting if a little unbelievable plot. Myron gets some news regarding the paternity of a child from a former lover and quickly does the maths an
Ayla
Mar 31, 2016 Ayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek leest als een trein! Het wordt pas op het einde écht heel spannend, maar het is niet zo dat de rest van het boek saai is. Het hoofdpersonage Myron vond ik niet altijd zo grappig, en soms dacht ik 'hm misschien is dit een beetje vergezocht', maar ik vond het zoo spannend, dat het toch 4 sterren waard is voor mij!
Bruce Snell
Jul 08, 2012 Bruce Snell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book number 7 in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Myron is visited by a former college sweetheart, his first real love, Emily Downing. She tells Myron her son is dying from a rare disease that can only be treated with a bone marrow transfusion, but that the only known donor has disappeared. She wants Myron to find him but due to the way their relationship ended Myron declines. Emily then claims that her child was fathered by Myron in an ill advised fling the night before her wedding. My ...more
Bart Hopkins
Jul 20, 2016 Bart Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harlan Coben is doing exactly what he was born to do.

Darkest Fear has a tight plot line, sharp humor, and flowing prose. Coben's ability to use metaphor, and his descriptions, are vivid, pertinent, and so spot on that I quite literally stopped reading for a moment ... and came to the realization that he isn't just very good ... he is one of the finest writers out there. He's just that good.

It's one of his Myron Bolivar series, so you get Win, Esperanza, and his parents as the regular cast, joini
Chris
Jul 02, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
My unbiased opinion of the books was I liked it. The characters were well developed. We all watch movies and at one time or another went to concerts and how we pick what we see is who they are. I liked this book for the story it told but also for the Myron's friend Win. Even though he played a small part it was pivotal in it. We have lawyers, journalists, mega rich people and the FBI to contend. Mr. Coben weaved a story that had you guessing to the very end can't wait to read his next book.
Sheila
Jan 09, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myron is hired by his college girlfriend to hunt down an elusive bone marrow match for her dying son Jeremy.

Lots of twists and turns
Harry
Jul 04, 2012 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beginning to exhaust my hunt for the loner, the hunter as a singular and main hero...a new trend seems to be emerging, the disassociation of the hunter and conscientious hero into two separate characters: the main character and his loner side-kick. Several authors embrace this genre motif: Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and his side-kick Joe Pike and of course Harlan Coben's Mylor Bolitar and his elitist side-kick Win.

Of this genre, Coben is probably the most adept at creating complex and winning cha
Kurt Young
Picked this up off the shelf at work. Two day read for me, with a decent plot, and a cast of funky characters. First Coben book I've read. He's so bad that it actually became fun reading. The first paragraph, I'm sure, was actually written as an entry into the Bulwer-Lyton bad writing contest. As a bonus, Coben drops into a 2nd person voice, addressing the reader as an author. He's clearly a fan of Douglas Adams, but lacks his wit.

Not impossible to follow as a standalone novel, but probably one
Stephanie
A little convoluted and confusing, but still a good, solid mystery novel. I wish it had been a little easier to follow, but I was a bit distracted yesterday. Lots of characters, also helped with my confusion.
Barbara ★
This book is a cross between a private investigator and the movie Jerry Maguire (involving a sports agent). A really slow start with chapters that don't appear to flow together. Seems kinda disjointed until around page 140 when it picks up and start making sense.

Myron Bolitar is an ex-basketball star who gets injured and becomes a sports agent. In the slow times, he has been tapped by friends to investigate crimes and such is what happens here. Myron's high school sweetheart calls out of the blu
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Don't ya just love it when you find a "new" author? Harlan Coben is FANTASTIC. This novel, 'Darkest Fear' is his 8th in his "Myron Bolitar" series. I intend to back-track and pick up the others I haven't yet read.

From back cover:

"Edgar Award-winner Harlan Coben brings us his most astonishing-and deeply personal-novel yet. And it all begins when Myron Bolitar's ex tells him he's a father...of a dying thirteen-year-old boy.

Myron never saw it coming. A surprise visit from an ex-girlfriend is unsett
Kevin Bresnahan
Jul 27, 2011 Kevin Bresnahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another home run by Coben, the Myron Bolitar series is right up with my favorites like Dirk Pitt and Spenser. In Darkest Fear, Myron is asked to find a bone marrow donor for his exes son. The same ex who married Myron's rival in college. What seems like an easy request is anything but. Myron is swept into a complex intrigue, a family who does anything to keep their secrets private, a disgruntled journalist trying to recover his mojo, and the uneasiness of working with others he doesn't trust. Th ...more
Michelle
Aug 23, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Myron Bolitar. Whenever I pick up another in the series, I am reminded about how much I enjoy the characters in this series. I had heard so-so things about this book. It seems like this one had lower ratings than some of the others in the series. I enjoyed this one. I didn't really care for some of the outside characters, however they were necessary for the story. Kind of strange throwing a son in there, but I suppose in some messed up way it makes sense and ties in.

Good story. Fast-paced
Rose Cimarron
I like Myron and Win. I read the books out of sequence, as I find them, which I find makes things more interesting, putting the threads together.

This filled in the Myron-Jeremy link that I'd come across in later books. There was less Win in this book, a shame as I like Win (he wouldn't like me!).

The plotting was classic Coben, with a couple of extra twists and unanswered questions that hung about like bad smells until inspiration struck Myron. Coben captured the savoir faire of today's teenagers
Ms. Risch
Jun 04, 2012 Ms. Risch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've discovered that these types of popcorn mystery reads usually chug along with entertaining yet completely unbelievable plots until they suddenly hit a brick wall. This book appears to be the brick wall in this particular series: a babydaddy sideline story reminiscent of something one might see on The Young & The Restless, a ripped-from-the-headlines plot I'd expect from a Law & Order rerun on TNT, and absolutely horrible dialogue between Myron and his latest (very annoying) love inte ...more
Hoàng Nguyễn
4 sao rưỡi nhé :3 Cơ mà đọc quyển này mình mới chợt nhận ra đúng là truyện được viết vào cuối thế kỉ 20: không có Google, không có MySpace, không có Facebook, không có Twitter, không có 9/11, không có Trung Đông; mọi người vẫn còn dùng Win 98 và viết blog thay vì Windows 10.1 và đăng tweet, không ai nhắc đến khủng bố mà chỉ nhắc đến những diễn viên phim trắng đen nổi tiếng những năm 50 60. Qua Promise Me là cái sự chênh lệch về thời gian đập thẳng vào mặt _(;3JZ)_
Sbeam
Aug 05, 2011 Sbeam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pfl
Yes, I have been on a tear reading Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series. Trying to read in order but that can be hard when you're cheap and want to use the Philadephia Free Library. A few more to go and thank God for PFL.
Cláudia
Another great book from Harlan Coben, grabbing us from the beginning. The story is very well thought and it's very fast paced.
Rob Williams
Aug 01, 2015 Rob Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, murder
Probably my favourite of Coben's Myron Bolitar books. An excellent thriller with all his trademark twists.
Mark
Nov 20, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016
Once again Myron Bolitar is surprised at the curve balls life throws him. He is dating a hot anchor woman and his first relationship visits him again and proceeds to inform him about a 13 year old son he has. And to make it worse he also learns that his "son" has a lethal illness that could end his life in the very near future unless he gets a bone marrow transplant.

An now for the next kicker, there is a suitable donor but he/she somehow cannot be found and is it possible for Myron to track him
Pamela Ralston
Nov 04, 2016 Pamela Ralston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As we know certain sets of synchronization have to come together , to make the perfect storm.

The people that we have come to care for are caught a story that seems simple and filled with emotions that does not stop, instead intensifies in the plot that twists and, catches our extreme need to follow. The speed at which leads come up and drop your hope again . The suspense and seemly the total block of all avenues to conclusions brings us to clench our jaws time and time again. But Harlan Coben ha
Ellie
Jan 04, 2017 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the Mickey Bolitar series, sadly only 3 books long, I find his uncle Myron a bit of a pompous ass so I've only read a few of these books. However, in this one, Myron has the wind knocked out of him by discovering he has a long lost son.
He's only told this startling piece of news by ex-girlfriend Emily, because said son is ill and the only registered bone marrow donor has disappeared. So jack of all trades Myron, lawyer/sports agent/private detective, to the rescue.
It's a very conv
Eadie
Nov 27, 2016 Eadie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have to say that this book of the Myron Bolitar series is the best so far. Interesting characters, excellent plot with lots of twists and witty dialogue. It grabbed my heart from the beginning and didn't let go until the very end. It's best to read this series from the beginning therefore allowing you to see the growth of the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment, Promise Me, in order to catch up with the characters once again.
Sue Plant
Dec 13, 2016 Sue Plant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow another good book in this series....

is there or isnt there a kidnapper...
a boy needs a bone marrow transplant

can myron figure it all out...was there a kidnapper or not and can he find the donor with the matching bone marrow to save the boy...but the donor has disappeared...

myron at his best trying to deal with life issues and aging parents...
Elly Wendy
Oct 25, 2016 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4* I had never heard of the medical condition dealt with in this novel and am always glad when I can learn something while being totally engaged in and entertained by a good story. This is my first experience with this author and I’ll be looking for more from him. As well, the audio presentation was very well done. Good one!
Pam H
Nov 16, 2016 Pam H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in the series except there wasn't enough Win and Esperanza. MB Sports is trying to dig out of the hole created by Myron's "wiggling out". Emily, Myron's college girlfriends son is in need of a bone marrow transplant and the donor who is a match has gone missing.
Paula
Dec 18, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-fiction
This installment in the series took many of the characters to a whole new level. Lots of wit and action as always, but a lot of emotional growth for Myron. The Win character is my favorite psychopath ever (a phrase which feels very odd to type).
2015 Reading Chal...: Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben 2 23 Apr 18, 2015 01:12PM
  • Ultimate Rush
  • Lone Wolf
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • Undrawn
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • The History of Napoleon Buonaparte
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
  • Broken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #16)
  • Death from the Woods
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar #3)
  • Back Spin
  • One False Move
  • The Final Detail
  • Promise Me
  • Long Lost
  • Live Wire
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)

“An hour before his world exploded like a ripe tomato under a stiletto heel, Myron bit into a fresh pastry that tasted suspiciously like urinal cake.” 10 likes
“You’re not a hypocrite. You aim toward lofty heights. The fact that your arrow cannot always reach them does not make you a hypocrite.” 1 likes