Start by marking “Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree” as Want to Read:
Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree

Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  39 reviews
It's easy to count three of something-- just add them up. But how do you count zero, a number that is best defined by what it's not?

Can you see it?
Can you hear it?
Can you feel it?

This important math concept is beautifully explored in a way that will inspire children to find zero everywhere--from the branches of a tree by day to the vast, starry sky by night.
Published September 8th 2009 by Tricycle Press (first published August 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
36th out of 60 books — 157 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
131st out of 181 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

This is more poetry than math.
Zero is the sound of snowflakes landing on your mitten. 0 sounds.
Lisa Vegan
Sep 10, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fun way of teaching the concept of the number zero
This is a fabulous and fun way of teaching about the concept of zero, the number zero.

There are short descriptions on every page for “Zero is…” with various things that apply to children’s everyday lives and things in nature with which children are familiar. Children see zero = nothing, none, absent.

The paintings are wonderful, especially those that include the natural world and a cute one at a swimming pool with various children.

The tone ranges from awestruck to funny to just a bit melancholy t
I adore this book (and, more importantly, my 2+-year-old son does, too!). It has lovely illustrations, running through a cycle of seasons using everyday situations in life and nature to explain the concept of zero. It's a quite complicated idea, this symbol for "none" or "null" or "nothing." This book illustrates it beautifully. The math geek in me loves the idea of a picture book about zero the same way the jazz geek in me loves Chris Raschka's "Charlie Parker Played Be Bop." Sophisticated idea ...more
Rachel Boatright
Zero is the Leaves on the Tree is a book with many, many examples of zero using illustrations to show children what zero looks like. At first they use an egg to describe how a zero looks like when it is written. On the following pages they use zero to show the amount of emptiness in something such as a trash can. Also, zero is used in the book to describe that something that you are looking for in which none of it is there. To demonstrate that zero has no sound they use snowflakes landing on mit ...more
Gabrielle Goodstein
Where is the math: A charming book that explores the concept of zero by artfully describing scenes notable for what is not there. “Zero is…the ripples in the pool before the first swimmer jumps in. 0 ripples.” Ages 5 and up.
Genre: picture book
Theme/Keywords: Number sense, concept of zero
Features of print: The book features charming illustrations and examples that border on being poetic.
Language considerations: English text.
Cultural considerations: Multi-cultural characters depicted.
Open Ended
How do you define zero? How do you draw a picture of nothing? The author and the illustrator make a valiant attempt in this picture book for ages 5-8. The problem lies in portraying negative space. Zero is the sleds on the hillside when the snow melts. How do you draw them if they are not there? Zero is the kites in the sky when there's no wind. How do you draw no kites? Sometimes the attempt is too strained and even confusing, as in, "Zero is the bikes in the bike rack on the last day of schoo ...more
April Poulter
So this whole book basically gives different examples of zero. Eggs are shaped like zero, zero leaves on the tree, zero balls in the bin, etc. It's a cute idea but I got bored with the book; it is too long and too redundant. Zero is not a difficult concept to grasp so it seems interesting to have an entire picture book dedicated to it.
Sandy Brehl
Direct effort to make the value of zero real, understandable. Very simple text, uses numerals and number words, as well as info about science/seasons.
Examples are very familiar ones, encouraging more attention to surroundings and other number values in our environment; patterns.
It’s a fun book showing all kinds of daily things that mean zero, like “the balls in the bin at recess time. 0 balls.” And, “the kites in the sky once the wind stops blowing. 0 kites.” The story is repetitive and will be a good read aloud for young children.
Lara Porter
I really enjoyed reading this book. I like how it was a counting book about zero, but there was also some sort of storyline there. I think that this would help to keep children's interest in the story.
Ruth Ann
This is a beautifully illustrated book about "zero", so I put it in both my math and my concept book category. It will be especially enjoyed by young children who are just developing their number sense.
Kayla Skeans
This was a great way to present counting. Also unique ways of having zero presented.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The author uses metaphors from children’s lives to explain the concept of zero. I could see this book being used a lot with students to better understand zero or as a writing prompt.

A little from the book:

“Zero is…
the balls in the bin at recess time.”
Reactions from children:
Two unexpected problems with the book: We live in the southern part of the United States and many of the metaphors involved concepts our children never experience (the sound of snowfall, for example). The younger children lik
Crysta Xue
A book on what zero can look like in real life
Gwen the Librarian
While basically just a book about the concept of zero, Franco's evocative, poetic word/concept choices and Arihara's gorgeous paintings make this one of my favorite books of the year. The book follows the seasons, beginning with fall, with vignettes both in the classroom at out in the world. The title is one example of zero, referring to the leaves left on the tree in fall: zero. Another, "Zero is...the bikes in the bike rack on the last day of school."
This book is interesting from a number of perspectives. First it addresses the number zero...colorfully illustrated throughout the year and the book. It does a nice job of introducing the seasons and the world around us. Finally, it is an interesting example of writing that focuses on one concept and could be used to teach writing to students who are older than the targeted picture book audience.
33 months - I think O already understood the concept of zero or nothing but this was a good review and if she didn't have it mastered before she totally gets it now. Some examples are a bit of a stretch and I would argue not quite correct... The number of bikes on the last day of school? I'd bet there are kids that rode on the last day... probably should have been "After" the last day...
Ashley Barnard
This is a very unique story. People do not usually focus on the number zero so it was neat to read a story all about zero. I thought it was creative that the story goes through all of the different seasons, and follows the children throughout the school year. The illustrations are amazing. The pictures appear to be water colors. I loved the different colors and textures.
Maggie KutsBorg
Meditative and generally nice. Not much of a story to it, but useful for discussing the concept of zero in a math-focused storytime or class.
Spare poetic text by Betsy Franco and evocative drawingsby illustrate the concept of zero. I fear that students who need to have zero might have difficulty with some of the concepts. For example: "Zero is . . . the kites in the sky once the wind stops blowing." Lexile measure is AD700.
An interesting book to explain the concept of zero to children. The illustrations are beautiful.

Towards the end, I felt that the author was really reaching for next zero.
Jessica Wirth
I enjoyed this. Probably not something that I would've normally sought out, but when my 4 year old and I were talking about zero the librarian recommended this. Good book.
Nanci Booher
So I had hoped that it would be more about leaves and not the number....but I think that the kids at storytime had fun with it as there were some counting elements to it.
pa'tí m
I love reading children's books about 0. It would be great to find a picture book similar to Betsy Franco's but in a historical context of the Maya and Olmeca people.
This book is provides the reader with a variety of scenarios for when 0 items are present. The illustrations are good.

Could be used to teach predicting.
if you need a book to teach "zero" this one is pretty and has a simple text to make the concept easily grasped
Vanessa Grubbs
A very simple, nicely illustrated book about what zero means. Illustrations really enforce the concept.
Beautiful watercolor illustrations. Simple pattern book for helping to conceptualizer zero.
Not a standout among NFPBs this year, but a nicely illustrated, simple concept book.
Paintings and flowing text illustrate the numerical concept of zero
  • Tyrannosaurus Math
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Energy Island: How one community harnessed the wind and changed their world
  • Redwoods
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
  • If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World's People
  • mammalabilia
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
Betsy Franco has published more than eighty books, including three previous anthologies. She lives in Palo Alto, California.
More about Betsy Franco...