Start by marking “Restoring the Christian Soul: Overcoming Barriers to Completion in Christ Through Healing Prayer” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Payne describes the value of self-acceptance and how Satan uses self-hatred to tempt. She underscores the importance of forgiveness--for ourselves and others--in the process of spiritual completion in Christ. The place of waging spiritual warfare in this process is the culmination of the process, and Payne examines correct and incorrect ways to be spiritually armed.
Published March 1st 1996 by Baker Books (first published March 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Restoring the Christian Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restoring the Christian Soul

Heather Tomlinson
Aug 08, 2015 Heather Tomlinson rated it really liked it

There are parts of this book that are pure gold, and well worth a read. Other parts are denser and not as relevant. But, it's well worth persevering with - a beautiful book.
Sam
Dec 30, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
This is book is a "Bible" almost on the healing of the soul. It is filled with helpful insights and teaching. It also provides useful teaching about spiritual warfare and other matters. Although some parts of the book will be more helpful to some than to others, it is solid all the way through. There are a few hiccups occasionally, though. Payne sometimes give idealistic advice that seems a bit out of touch with the "real world." Here are a few minor problems:

1) Payne says that Christians should
Jason
Feb 10, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of amazing information in it. It is extremely practical, and points out how Christ can heal so many different areas of our lives through His indwelling presence. It also discusses other matters such as use of holy water, the dynamics of spiritual battle, spiritual fame (with God) instead of worldly fame, etc. It's a book that would be of benefit to so many Christians--there's something in it for just about everyone. I assume that the title, "Restoring the Christian Soul," ref ...more
Jaye
Aug 09, 2008 Jaye rated it it was amazing
This book is exceptional, especially as it is written by one from a non-Catholic background. Payne's openness to the use of sacramentals is astounding. I also really like how she deals with spiritual warfare issues...reminding us that Christ is in charge! I would highly recommend this to anyone in ministry who may encounter people who seem to be spirituall 'stuck' and who wish to make progress.
Amy
Sep 23, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Part 1 is very helpful in explaining the importance of self acceptance and how this affects everything else in our lives. For anyone who struggles with fully accepting yourself, you should definitely read the first 3 chapters of this book. The rest of the book is pretty intense, but would be an incredible resource for anyone in healing ministry.
Travis
Jul 27, 2011 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Spiritually one of the most enlightening books I've ever read. While her quality of writing is not on level with Lewis, Chambers, Buechner, she has become even more important to me in terms of understanding myself and a life lived walking in the Presence. Can't recommend her or this book enough.
Gayle Perry
Nov 17, 2008 Gayle Perry rated it it was amazing
This is a pastoral counselor's bible in how the soul is restored. To whom is given much from this book, much will be required!
Jennifer Short
Oct 26, 2010 Jennifer Short rated it really liked it
This is more of a book for people who work with those who have a lot of hurt in them. Tells how God can use prayer to heal them.
Emily
Nov 15, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this just to read the first section. WOW. I learned more big things about myself than I have in most complete books.
Debbie
Jun 28, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
tons of information, but a GREAT book! i recommend it
Karl
Jul 06, 2009 Karl rated it it was amazing
This book gave me hope and revived me.
Ann
Jul 22, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
This book was life changing.
Seth Thomas
Feb 22, 2015 Seth Thomas rated it did not like it
Recommended to Seth by: Required reading for Prayer 1 at The Seattle School
Not my favorite.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Neil Steinwand
Neil Steinwand rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Dana Ostby
Dana Ostby marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Judah
Judah marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
J.S. Bangs
J.S. Bangs rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2016
Christ Otto
Christ Otto rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Hector Franco
Hector Franco marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Kristi Elker
Kristi Elker rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Kronos1
Kronos1 marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
pam meyer
pam meyer rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Cyd2
Cyd2 rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Monique Belanger
Monique Belanger rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mrs. Payne has been active in the ministry of healing prayer for over thirty years. She is the founder and president of Pastoral Care Ministries.

Her books include: Real Presence, The Broken Image, Healing the Homosexual, Crisis in Masculinity, Healing Presence, Restoring the Christian Soul, and Listening Prayer.

She has taught for Wheaton College, in the graduate program in Christian Spirituality a
More about Leanne Payne...

“Fr. Michael Scanlon, in his book Inner Healing, states that, “We have an attitudinal life which operates from the very core of our being. . . . This life determines broad general patterns of relating to others and to God.” He then speaks of five different problem patterns that alert him to a need to pray for what he calls a “heart healing.” These are: 1) A judgmental spirit that is harsh and demanding on self and others. 2) A strong perfectionist attitude demanding the impossible from self and others. 3) A strong pattern of fearing future events. 4) A sense of aloneness and abandonment in times of decision. 5) A preoccupation with one’s own guilt and a compulsion to compete for position and success.[4]” 1 likes
“we necessarily have negative, distorted thinking about ourselves and others. We do not ignore or deny it, but we write it out as specifically as we can, just as we do with our sins, and say to God, “Look at this. I don’t want this. You take it!” We name it as the distorted thinking that it is. Then we replace it with right thinking—those light-filled thoughts and attitudes in line with truth and the way things really are.” 1 likes