Start by marking “Off the Record” as Want to Read:
Off the Record

Off the Record

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Liz is a recently divorced thirty-something, trying to rebuild her career as a journalist. Nick is single, trying to improve his job prospects, deeply gorgeous but totally poor. They meet, are attracted and...if only life were that simple. For Liz and Nick, things are about to get a lot more complicated. A heady brew of incompetent exes, good friends, and alcoholic artists ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by HarperCollins UK

To ask other readers questions about Off the Record, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Record

I was reflecting the other night on what it was that made a book a five-star read for me. When reviewing on Goodreads and Amazon, I’ve given five stars to a quite large number of books ranging from almost everything in the Choclit catalogue, quite a few recent psychological thrillers and some young adult reads. If we marked out of ten, I might have been able to separate them all by half points... but my measure for a five star book is that if it’s quite clear in what it sets out to achieve, deli ...more
Lisa (scarlet21)
Some of the best literature written is about mistaken identity and this is no exception.
When divorced mum of two Liz agrees to help out friend Claire by interviewing renowned artist Jack Sandfi, and hopefully setting her back on the tracks of a journalistic career, she is expecting a reclusive and eccentric man. Instead, running late after her train is delayed, she walks in to the hotel to find an endearing and gorgeous man - not at all the raddled figure she's been imagining.

Nick is nervously w
The novel starts with the introduction of the key characters Liz and Nick. Liz is defacing her wedding album, sick of men she turns her interest back to the world of journalism in order to help out a friend.
Nick meanwhile is trying to make something of his life and bored of churning out the same old work gets excited by the thought of working for Jeanna in her family run business.
Add in Jack the artist who has released a new exhibition but loves alcohol and takes his wife Morwenna for-granted an
I read this book on my Kindle, much of it while on the treadmill. It takes a good story to distract me from watching the timer count down, and this book certainly did the trick!

It all begins with a misunderstanding -- Liz thinks she is meeting a well-known artist, Jack, to conduct an interview, while Nick believes he is meeting with his potential future employer. Nick realizes that the woman he is chatting with has mistaken him for someone else, but believes he can later clear up the confusion,
Janine Cobain
Off The Record – Liz Chapman; competent single mother with an Ex who has become as much of a disappointment as a father to their two sons as he was a husband. Her best friend Claire offers the opportunity for Liz to resurrect her pre-marital occupation as a journalist interviewing reclusive sculptor Jack Sandfi. Although Liz has deployed precision planning for their meeting cracks begin to appear with the cancellation of her train and ultimately Jack is not all he seems.

Quite simply this ticked
Christine Phillips
How a case of mistaken identity can change your life.......
Nick Hastings is to be meeting Jeanna O'Hanlon who holds the key to his dream job or so he thinks.
Liz Chapman is to interview and write an article for the local paper on Jack, an artist with a new collection.
What could go wrong? Trains, buses, illness and drunkenness are the main things that first catapult Liz and Nick together. Perhaps fate stepped in to spice up their lives and add a twist and turn along the way.
Adding to the twist and
And so we move onto my book review of another one of Sue Welfare's books, Off the Record. I gave this book a very strong 5 stars.

Sue has a knack of engaging the reader from the get-go and her characters get under the skin too. (My teeth still set on edge when I think of the ex-husband from Cooking Up a Storm, never have I wanted to punch a fictional character so much in my life!)

This book starts off with a misunderstanding, and unfolds to a great story combining great characters and another anno
Philip Whiteland
This is a cleverly done but frustrating tale in which the two main protagonists are kept apart by a stupid misunderstanding early in the book and their twin stories are cunningly interwoven until fate takes a hand and all is made right. Another tale of adulterous husbands, handsome would-be heroes and women finally reaching their potential in their careers and life-choices. Well written as always and deeply satisfying (everything turns out right in the end).
As part of getting herself together after her divorce, Liz accepts a freelance job, interviewing celebrated sculptor Jack Sandfi at a Norwich hotel. She meets a man she believes is Sandfi and thus begins this rather engaging comedy of errors.

The author Sue Welfare, weaves this web of near- misses, misunderstandings and farce with a gentle humour that beguiles the reader into turning one more page to find out how far things can actually go. You cringe as they go much further than you hoped and yo
Book-shelf Shelf
This is one of Sue's earlier books which she has revamped. It has all of the humor Sue loves to put in her books so will have you laughing at every page, while keeping it a heartfelt brilliant story. A story which will have you wondering and there are no sneaky giveaways, so you are left guessing till the final page. Pure brilliance from Sue again.
Carol W
review to follow 4 and half stars
Heleen added it
Oct 03, 2015
Francesca Bailey
Francesca Bailey marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Cat is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Silvia marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Katherine Hayward
Katherine Hayward marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Hayley added it
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Sue is an award winning and Times best selling author. She’s published around thirty novels under various pen names including Gemma Fox and Kate Lawson and written erotic fiction under a couple of others.

Sue was among the winners of the Channel 4 SitCom Fest and was the first ever BBC local radio Story Laureate.
Sue lives in Norfolk with her husband and two dogs.

When not writing she loves gardenin
More about Sue Welfare...
The Surprise Party One Night Only Just Desserts Cooking Up a Storm Guilty Creatures