Start by marking “Carolinda Clatter!” as Want to Read:
Carolinda Clatter!

Carolinda Clatter!

Carolinda Clatter is born noisy in a place where, legend says, loud noise will wake a sleeping giant and bring destruction. Her tale, and that of an old giant hopelessly on love with the icy moon, are told in this lovely new picture book by the 2004 Caldecott Medal winner. It's an energetic and touching story about a spirited child, the power of self-expression, and the my
Published September 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Carolinda Clatter!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolinda Clatter!

Josiah
Apr 21, 2010 Josiah rated it liked it
This book is just something else, any way I look at it. The illustrations created by Mordicai Gerstein are surpassingly beautiful in every respect; observe, for example, the way that the light emanations from the moon are portrayed, especially for the page on which the giant is lying on his back, weeping. In my opinion, the artistic value of this book is at least very close to that of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, Mordicai Gersteins's Caldecott Medal-winning gem from 2003.

The story th
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an odd, but strangely reassuring tale about the solidness and security of the earth we live on. The story depicts a giant who professes his love to the moon, but unrequited, lays down to sleep for more than a hundred thousand years. In the meantime, people and animals have come to live on the giant and are fearful of waking him. When a loud little girl comes along and wakes the giant, the story comes to it's joyful conclusion. We enjoyed reading this story together.

Nan
Aug 30, 2013 Nan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
"Once there was a giant who fell in love with the moon." What kid wouldn't want to hear a story with a first line like that?
Michael
Apr 06, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is a spooky story, with the deep and resonant feel of a fairy tale. The imagery and pathos is vivid, and the set-up and resolution are very emotional. My complaints were 1) the male pining for an inaccessible woman that felt like another brick in the stereotype, and the fact that it is yet another fairy tale about (predominantly) white folk. But it did strive for some racial diversity, and a girl saves the day, so I will forgive its few transgressions. It definitely is a story that sticks w ...more
Susan
Sep 12, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs642
Picture Book Project
Category: Picture Book Soak

The town of Pupickton was a quiet place because of a legend that the land beneath and surrounding them was actually the body of a giant who laid down to cry hundreds of thousands of years ago because the moon would not love him back. When Carolinda Clatter is born she never stops making noise. Eventually she wakes the giant and the town folk send her to convince the giant to go back to sleep. She sings to herself to help her ease her fears and the g
mara pina
Apr 08, 2015 mara pina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a charming read and I love it so much, I own it. Carolinda's loud and likeable and the results are so sweet. Highly recommend for anyone, but especially for kids who are always told they're "too ___": too loud, too quiet, too fast, too slow... This book shows that every difference has its use and its fun!
Sandy
May 17, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a lovely read and the illustrations are beautiful
Caroline
Sep 19, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reads like a traditional tale or a tall tale.
Katherine Brown
The first thing that captivated me with this children's book was the beautiful illustrations. Initially the story began with the feeling of a mythological story, however the addition of the character Carolinda added much more depth to the plot. This would definitely engage the students.
Jennifer Borduin
Jan 20, 2012 Jennifer Borduin rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very neat book. There's a moral lesson of being brave, and also that it's okay to be different. I really enjoyed the incorporation of music through the story, since the giant sang dogs to the moon, and carolinda played music and sings to the giant.
Kelly
Really enjoyed this book - has a great beginning-middle-end for figuring out the story. Carolinda is so cute and really struggles with the rules. After all is said and done, she really is a true hero! Great illustrations.
Katie Sicking
Sep 17, 2013 Katie Sicking rated it it was amazing
I loved the illustrations in this book, and I thought the story was very original. This book is now one of my favorite children's picture books.
Alaina Sloo
One of my favorite read-aloud books for preschool classes. About a girl who just HAS TO MAKE NOISE, with a beautiful and surprising outcome.
Alisha
Dec 06, 2011 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a beautiful story. Lovely illustrations and marvelous to read aloud. My whole family loved it.
Diane Greenseid
Oct 31, 2010 Diane Greenseid rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book aloud to the students in my library. Very poetic and lyrical.
Sharon Allen
Sharon Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Quizmo
Quizmo rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Medha Begg
Medha Begg marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, winner of the Caldecott Medal, and has had four books named New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year. Gerstein was born in Los Angeles in 1935. He remembers being inspired as a child by images of fine art, which his mother cut out of Life magazine, and by children’s books from the library: “I looked ...more
More about Mordicai Gerstein...