The Genie in the Jar

The Genie in the Jar

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews

Nikki Giovanni spins her words into beautiful images of black songs and black looms, and inspires us all to trust our own hearts.

Published December 16th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Genie in the Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genie in the Jar

Cheryl in CC NV
Flap says "... our songs can set us free, as long as we hold on to the welcoming hands all around us.... a hymn to the power of art and of love." Well, fine, kinda, I guess so. But I'm sorry; I just can't make myself believe in it. I get the part where the little girl's dress turns the color of air - if you're reading this, don't miss that. But I have no idea why one would recommend putting a genie in a jar. If you understand that behavior that looks like brutality, please tell me. Musicians &...more
Sam Grace
Nov 20, 2009 Sam Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ppl looking for Read Aloud Picture Books
LOVED the illustrations, loved reading this aloud - the rhythm is perfect. I think I could enjoy reading this hundreds of times to a child, if only because it is not clear what it means. Every time I read it I get a slightly different feel.
I'm still deciding about this book. Love the pictures. And I think that I could really like the words ... if only I could get a sense of what they mean. Hopefully I will rate this book higher after my next reread.
James Ramsey
This is a beautiful book. I read it in storytime. It has good rhythm and movement. It is a great book to use to bring poetry alive for kids in storytime.
Rachel Burt
I liked the artwork in this book a lot. Along with the poetic nature of the words, this book was really beautiful.
Alison
Alison added it
Dec 10, 2013
Selina
Selina marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Sala Bim
Sala Bim marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Uli
Uli added it
Jan 03, 2011
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
22050
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author.

She lives in Blacksburg, Virginia, where she is a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech.
More about Nikki Giovanni...
Rosa Love Poems The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998 The Selected Poems, 1968-1995 Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day