Start by marking “The Genie in the Jar” as Want to Read:
The Genie in the Jar

The Genie in the Jar

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Nikki Giovanni spins her words into beautiful images of black songs and black looms, and inspires us all to trust our own hearts.
Published December 16th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Genie in the Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genie in the Jar

Like the simplicity of this book. Nikki Giovanni's masterful rhythms create a safe place for our children in this poetic picture book. A keeper.
Sam Grace
Nov 20, 2009 Sam Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ppl looking for Read Aloud Picture Books
LOVED the illustrations, loved reading this aloud - the rhythm is perfect. I think I could enjoy reading this hundreds of times to a child, if only because it is not clear what it means. Every time I read it I get a slightly different feel.
I'm still deciding about this book. Love the pictures. And I think that I could really like the words ... if only I could get a sense of what they mean. Hopefully I will rate this book higher after my next reread.
James Ramsey
This is a beautiful book. I read it in storytime. It has good rhythm and movement. It is a great book to use to bring poetry alive for kids in storytime.
Rachel Burt
I liked the artwork in this book a lot. Along with the poetic nature of the words, this book was really beautiful.
Kia marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Kelsey Whitfield
Kelsey Whitfield marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Morcia Livingstone
Morcia Livingstone marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Alison added it
Dec 10, 2013
Selina marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Sala Bim
Sala Bim marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author. She has written numerous volumes of poetry and has been honored with loads of awards, including 20 honorary degrees from national colleges and universities. Her poems are undeniably authentic distillations of black life in America. She was editor of Fisk University's literary magazine. She lives in Blacksbu ...more
More about Nikki Giovanni...
Rosa Love Poems The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998 The Selected Poems, 1968-1995 Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day