Start by marking “The Superior Wife Syndrome: Why Women Do Everything So Well and Why--For the Sake of Our Marriages--We've Got to Stop” as Want to Read:

2.29 of 5 stars 2.29  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The modern woman has felt Backlash and worked The Second Shift. but now she’s wearing the pants, she’s in charge of everything, and it’s ruining her marriage. She’s The Superior Wife, and this book is coming to her rescue!

As women have risen in the work world, their marriages have been transformed, too: The wife has become the superior spouse. This book is for every wife
Published September 8th 2009 by Touchstone Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Superior Wife Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Superior Wife Syndrome

I found some of the material in this book quite interesting...namely, the first and last chapters. Everything in between...not so much. That said, I would have loved to have read this as a magazine article, not a drawn out book (I did skim a lot, like the Encyclopedia of Nagging...nothing to be gained from that whatsoever). I was intrigued by the author's descriptions of biological and cultural differences between men and women. In the first chapter, she seems to be making a case for "why do wom ...more
Feb 14, 2010 Jamie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
8 chapters of anecdotes from web surveys and one chapter of "self help" which amounts to this "Don't do it anymore." Kind of like "Gee Doctor, it hurts when I do this! Well, don't do this." Thanks a whole hell of a lot.
I found this book obnoxious, and gave up on reading it. She went on and on and on about the ways in which women are superior to their husbands, and I just never got to the what to do about it. If you're reading the book, you have a sense that something is amiss at home in the division of labor and want ideas on what to do about it, not ways to cause fights with your spouse about how you're doing everything and he's not doing anything (and I was shocked that she shared examples of couples where j ...more
Although the funny title got me to pick it up and start reading it, this book isn't really meant to be funny, even though it skims dangerously close to a mean satirical tone at times. It might have been fine as a magazine article, but as a full-length book it didn't contain enough actual material to warrant the time of reading it.
Not that good in parts - wondered if the author was recommending submitting to men's whims as a way of getting along. Seemed to help a client of mine understand why her over-achievement led to separation. However, I like to achieve and my husband is not threatened by that at all. Perhaps women with Superior Wife Syndrome need to find men who have Superior Husband Syndrome - which means that both individuals care for one's self and one's life partner with generosity and love.
Took a few weeks to finally get through this. An interesting theory but with no real good info in the book. I was tired of her anecdotes and no real data or usable information. And, I'm not sure I totally agree with the author. Anyway, don't bother to read the book but perhaps an article on the topic would suffice.
I stopped reading this book. Perhaps the second half changes tone, but I just didn't have the stomach to make it there. I know she says she is advocating the rescue of marriage, but she is very anti-male, anti-marriage, and every time I read her book I felt bad about my life.
Nothing really exciting or new in it - but a good reminder of how doing it all can lead one to being left/expected to do it all - And how easy it is to leap from there to the false conclusion that oneself is the 'better' member of the group.
The author seemed very anti male, and almost anti marriage. The book dragged on and on with virtually no helpful information, but there was a lot that made you wonder if your marriage was doomed. A very disappointing read.
The concept of the book is interesting, but the content didn't pan out. Didn't add much to the conversation.
Interesting premise, but nothing actionable. Very repetitive. Could have been half the length.
This had a few gems mixed in with boring rambling and anecdotes. Worth the read for me.
Sep 15, 2009 Kara marked it as to-read
Shelves: awesome-title
I don't want to read this - but the subtitle makes me giggle. :-)
This has to be the weirdest book I have ever read on marriage. I would not recommend it.
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Teneik marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Katie Haney
Katie Haney marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Sam Brannan
Sam Brannan marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Samantha Chapnick
Samantha Chapnick marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ashleyaduke marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Leslie added it
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beyond the Mommy Years: How to Live Happily Ever After...After the Kids Leave Home The Sacrificial Mother: Escaping the Trap of Self-Denial In Search Of Intimacy: Surprising Conclusions From A Nationwide Survey On Loneliness & What To Do About It On the Other Side of Motherhood