Start by marking “The Superior Wife Syndrome: Why Women Do Everything So Well and Why--For the Sake of Our Marriages--We've Got to Stop” as Want to Read:

The modern woman has felt Backlash and worked The Second Shift. but now she’s wearing the pants, she’s in charge of everything, and it’s ruining her marriage. She’s The Superior Wife, and this book is coming to her rescue!

As women have risen in the work world, their marriages have been transformed, too: The wife has become the superior spouse. This book is for every wife
Published September 8th 2009 by Touchstone Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Superior Wife Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Superior Wife Syndrome

Alison
Oct 27, 2009 Alison rated it it was ok
I found some of the material in this book quite interesting...namely, the first and last chapters. Everything in between...not so much. That said, I would have loved to have read this as a magazine article, not a drawn out book (I did skim a lot, like the Encyclopedia of Nagging...nothing to be gained from that whatsoever). I was intrigued by the author's descriptions of biological and cultural differences between men and women. In the first chapter, she seems to be making a case for "why do wom ...more
Feb 14, 2010 Jamie rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult
8 chapters of anecdotes from web surveys and one chapter of "self help" which amounts to this "Don't do it anymore." Kind of like "Gee Doctor, it hurts when I do this! Well, don't do this." Thanks a whole hell of a lot.
Brittany
Jun 27, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book had interesting points, but could have been written better. The author laid out points as though she was including the outline into the book- "in this chapter I'll discuss this, that will be discussed in Chapter X, etc." It was annoying and distracted from the overall focus of the book. The specifics about the people answering the survey/interviewing also got old (Jane Doe, a 43 year old nurse from Delaware with a second husband and four kids responded similarly to Ann, a 26 year old d ...more
Christina
I found this book obnoxious, and gave up on reading it. She went on and on and on about the ways in which women are superior to their husbands, and I just never got to the what to do about it. If you're reading the book, you have a sense that something is amiss at home in the division of labor and want ideas on what to do about it, not ways to cause fights with your spouse about how you're doing everything and he's not doing anything (and I was shocked that she shared examples of couples where j ...more
Sandy
Aug 03, 2011 Sandy rated it it was ok
Not that good in parts - wondered if the author was recommending submitting to men's whims as a way of getting along. Seemed to help a client of mine understand why her over-achievement led to separation. However, I like to achieve and my husband is not threatened by that at all. Perhaps women with Superior Wife Syndrome need to find men who have Superior Husband Syndrome - which means that both individuals care for one's self and one's life partner with generosity and love.
Sara
Jan 06, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Although the funny title got me to pick it up and start reading it, this book isn't really meant to be funny, even though it skims dangerously close to a mean satirical tone at times. It might have been fine as a magazine article, but as a full-length book it didn't contain enough actual material to warrant the time of reading it.
JJ
Sep 16, 2009 JJ rated it did not like it
Took a few weeks to finally get through this. An interesting theory but with no real good info in the book. I was tired of her anecdotes and no real data or usable information. And, I'm not sure I totally agree with the author. Anyway, don't bother to read the book but perhaps an article on the topic would suffice.
Kathy
Oct 04, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really exciting or new in it - but a good reminder of how doing it all can lead one to being left/expected to do it all - And how easy it is to leap from there to the false conclusion that oneself is the 'better' member of the group.
Aug 20, 2009 Jamie rated it did not like it
The author seemed very anti male, and almost anti marriage. The book dragged on and on with virtually no helpful information, but there was a lot that made you wonder if your marriage was doomed. A very disappointing read.
Melinda
Jan 28, 2010 Melinda rated it did not like it
I stopped reading this book. Perhaps the second half changes tone, but I just didn't have the stomach to make it there. I know she says she is advocating the rescue of marriage, but she is very anti-male, anti-marriage, and every time I read her book I felt bad about my life.
Lb
Dec 30, 2012 Lb rated it it was ok
The concept of the book is interesting, but the content didn't pan out. Didn't add much to the conversation.
Haleigh
Haleigh rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2013
NADIVA
NADIVA rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2010
Mel Brutger
Mel Brutger rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2014
Chantal Aucoin
Chantal Aucoin rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Apr 18, 2012 Jamie rated it did not like it
This has to be the weirdest book I have ever read on marriage. I would not recommend it.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2009
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2011
Jamie Baker
Jamie Baker rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2010
Bethany
Bethany rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
May 21, 2011
Daniela
Daniela rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Larissa Swanland
Larissa Swanland rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2015