Start by marking “Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)

Rebel (Faery Rebels #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,597 ratings  ·  150 reviews
The faeries of the Oak are dying, and it’s up to a lone faery named Linden to find a way to restore their magic. Linden travels bravely into dangerous new territory, where she enlists the help of an unlikely friend—a human named Timothy. Soon they discover something much worse than the Oakenfolk’s loss of magic: a potent evil that threatens the fate of all faeries. In a fe ...more
Published January 7th 2010 by Orchard Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel

Fire by Kristin CashoreGraceling by Kristin CashoreBitterblue by Kristin CashoreShiver by Maggie StiefvaterThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Best UK and European YA Covers
14th out of 153 books — 302 voters
Wings by Aprilynne PikeWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrThe Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaNeed by Carrie Jones
Best Faery books ever.
19th out of 130 books — 185 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 14, 2009 R.J. added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I gave my last one five stars because I wrote exactly the sort of book I wanted to read myself (funny, that!), and I think this one is just as good if not more so than KNIFE a.k.a. SPELL HUNTER -- so I hereby award myself five stars in the hope that at least some of my readers will enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it!
Steph Su
R.J. Anderson has done it again, proving that she was not merely a one-hit wonder with her debut novel, FAERY REBELS: SPELL HUNTER, which was one of my favorite reads of 2009. WAYFARER has all the sweet enchantment, world-building, and action of her first book, and ensures that Knife and Linden’s world is one that I never want to leave.

There are a variety of fairies in WAYFARER, from the small but determined Linden, to much bigger and badder ones. Anderson’s fairy world is one that never gets st
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for

One day, Linden's summoned by the dying faery queen, who tells her that she might be their only hope for survival in the near future. Without their magic, the faeries are slowly dying, and they have been for years.

There's only forty-something faeries left in the sacred oak, and very little magic remains.

When Linden visits a faery friend (Knife from SPELL HUNTER), she comes into contact with a human boy. Timothy's having trouble fitting in at school
Alison Ng
I started this book off not really knowing what it was about. Because I won this book (thanks Saundra Mitchell!) I didn’t bother to read the jacket summary over before I started it. I read it once, but my memory fades really easily…

At once though, I liked Timothy. Even though this is a book about faeries and magic, he seemed real to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love supernatural hot guys in books, but Timothy was different. He was human, but his thoughts and actions were down-to-earth. He wasn’t li
A more intense, definitely more magical, sequel to Faery Rebels (or Knife). I enjoyed getting back into the unique and superb faery world; and was delighted to see how Knife's life had progressed since the last book! :)

I really just love Linden. She's sweet and kindhearted, also courageous and ready for adventure! It was interesting to read Timothy's story as well.

There was some big changes and revelations in Rebel... what fun! Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

This book mentions Chri
I'm about to admit something astounding, okay maybe not that astounding, but some of you might think so. The truth is I have never read a faery book before (at least not that I remember). I've read vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, angels, demons, but not faeries. So, Wayfarer is my first exposure to this paranormal entity.

I found the faery world depicted in this book to be fascinating. I learned after starting this one that it is actually the second in the series, but not reading the first d
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Jun 06, 2010 Lori (Pure Imagination) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lori (Pure Imagination) by:
When I read and reviewed Spell Hunter a couple of weeks ago, I said that I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know how much I would enjoy reading about teny tiny faeries. I ended up enjoying it immensely. The lore of the faeries and and Knife as the main character really brought the story to life for me. But unfortunately I didn't enjoy Wayfarer nearly as much.

Wayfarer is about Linden, who we meet in Spell Hunter as a child. Now it's her turn to step up and do her duty to save the Oak. I missed
Miss Clark
Beware of spoilers

Linden’s home and safety have been compromised. Her Queen can no longer keep her safe and her Foster mother is powerless to help. So what can she do?

She must rely on Timothy, a teen-aged boy who has been suspended from school for fighting, to guide her through the dangerous streets of London and help her to find someone to restore magic to her tribe.

Timothy is the son of Christian Missionaries who are living in Uganda. He has been sent back to London to attend school, but he mi
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
In WAYFARER, the stakes are even higher as we follow Linden and Timothy on an unforgettable adventure to save the fairies of Oakenwyld.

Linden is appointed for an important task to seek out other faeries in hopes of restoring magic to the faeries of Oakenwyld. Her journey leads her to Timothy, whose suspicions of his cousin Paul’s and Knife’s urgent whispers, leads into an argument that sends him on the run. Linden, then becomes an uninvited guest as Timothy heads to the one place that Linden vi

After re-reading Knife, the first book in this series, I knew I had to get started on "Rebel" as soon as possible, mainly because I couldn't wait to figure out what was going to happen next in the story!
Addictive: check.

In this book that takes place a few good years after Knife, our main character is Linden, the sweet good natured fairy who had Knife for foster mother. Remember her?

Linden couldn't be more different from Knife, but she is engaging in her own sweet, and at times naïve, way. She f
Reading Vacation
The Faery Rebels series is addicting. Wayfarer takes place 15 years after Spell Hunter and the Oak is in great danger. A dying queen leaves the faeries powerless and vulnerable.
A tough little faery named Linden sets out to find the missing powers. Even though Linden was only fifteen, the entire Oak was counting on her.
A human named Timothy, who is unsure of himself, becomes Linden’s partner. Over time, Timothy gains confidence and learns to trust the faeries. His transformation was one o

Why I read this: I love fairies and I really enjoyed the first book in this series.

Plot: Linden hopes to find other faeries to help Oakenfolk so they don't fade out of existance. A human named Timothy is staying with her former faery mother and when he gets fed up he takes off. Linden decides to tag along and see if he can help her find more fairies where he is going. But when they do find a few, Linden finds out that not all faeries are good.

Definitely a great plot that kept moving and changing
I was going to give this book four stars but in the end it was too amazing! I love Linden. At first she as way too shy and it was her first time on a adventure. But she met Timothy, Paul and Peri's cousin and the adventure began.

Timothy at first sounded like a complete jerk but after meeting Linden his heart began to slowly change. Timothy almost gave his life for Linden and he was very brave. They both met bad fairies on the way and fairies that wanted to betray the oaklynfolk.

But reading thi
I loved Anderson's FAERY REBELS: SPELL HUNTER aka KNIFE (UK title ftw), but WAYFARER is even more fantastic. The story telling is much more urgent, and the plot really sucks you in and drives you to the point that you can't find a good "stopping place" to put the book down...and thus read the whole thing in a day :)
I loved Linden and Timothy's friendship (though I was disapointed at the way the book ended in regards to their relationship) and the continued world building that acknowledges, but d
I think I'm too old for this one.... a lot of the major climax moments were just overly simplified. I needed a bit more. On the flip side, I think I would have really liked this when I was around 13 or so.

With that said, I definitely recommend this for the younger, young adult reader who is interested in fairies.

3 stars.
Just like knife, as I expected, I enjoyed every line written across the page. This one brought more of a mysterious feel. Especially with one character in particular; Rob. Once again the book was beautifully written and certainly unique. I would recommend it to anyone.
I just finished the audiobook version of Rebel, and I found it delightful. Anderson does a wonderful job of creating believable teenage characters and avoids the cliches that are prevalent in so many YA books. Not only does the book have adventure, action, and magic, it touches deeper issues so many teens go through that other YA books don't, such as faith and doubt. Is it ever okay to do something that violates your code of ethics? When you're hungry? When it's convenient? And she does all this ...more
Somewhere between 3.5 and 4, maybe?

Wayfarer (or Rebel, in the original market) is the second story in the Faery Rebels series, though you'd never be able to tell from the American covers. It picks up 14 years after the events in Faery Rebels: Spell Hunters (also known as Knife.)

The beginning picks up beautifully. You're exactly where you want to be after the last novel. You get to see the (touching and very sweet) way that Knife and Paul live now. You're re-introduced to all the wonderful fairie
I actually didn't expect it to end like it did, I expected her to fall in love with Timothy but...
Page (One Book At A Time)
I'm having a hard time putting into writing why I liked this one better than the first. I didn't get a real feel for the characters in the first one. There is some of the same ones in this one, but the main characters are different. I felt like I knew them better. It was faster paced, so I felt the story flowed better. It also changed locations, which maybe added that little bit of extra spark to the story. I liked all of the events that took place in London. It just exciting and I wasn't sure w ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Wayfarer continues the story started in Spell Hunter (Knife UK). The publisher has upgraded the recommended age range to YA which I find more appropriate, though this book is tamer than the first. The story however, if very detailed and intricate.

The entire cast of book 1 returns, including Knife and Paul but this time the main characters are Linden and Paul's nephew, Timothy. Now that the Queen is on her deathbed it is time to find the other faeries and se
Wayfarer takes place fifteen years after the events of Faery Rebels. Linden has grown up and being the youngest faery in the Oak is appointed as the Queen’s ambassador. Linden is not as spunky or as tough as Knife. She’s a young faery and it’s her first time being away from the Oak. She always listens to her conscience and doesn’t conform to what Timothy or others want her to do. Timothy also has troubles of his own of which he has been avoiding. The two form an unlikely friendship which through ...more
The Sweet Bookshelf
This books isn't even suppose to come out until January 7th. I've been waiting for it. I went for a stroll in Waterstone's the other day and look to my side and there it is, Rebel, the book I've been waiting for! I grabbed it quickly and bought before anyone could realize their mistake and take it off the shelf!

I'm NOT sure what I think about this book. It's NOT as good as Knife. I was expecting something MUCH more for this series. It didn't even seem like the same author. I had to check the cov
Yolanda Sfetsos
Abi Holligan
Rebel is the sequel to Knife which jumps fourteen years ahead and sees Linden (the baby Knife was looking after) a teenager. Queen Amrayliss is dying and it's brought upon Linden to follow in her foster mother's footsteps and save the faeries of the Oakenfolk, by going out and trying to find other faeries that could help them regain their magic. Timothy is staying with his cousin Paul and his wife Peri (Knife) when he runs away after thinking he's not welcome he can't believe his eyes when a fai ...more
Fourteen years ago Knife left the Oak in search of the truth, she became a foster mother to a newly hatched faery and she was sent to live with Paul as human among humans. However, she continues as the Oak's defender and protector while its inhabitants continue to live without magic and their numbers continue to dwindle. For although Knife had found the truth she did not succeeded in returning magic to the Oak.

Queen Amaryllis was dying, after 350 years she had lived a full life and now the end w
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Like the first in the Faery Rebels series, Wayfarer was a fantastic adventure. Fourteen years after the end of Spell Hunter, we begin with a 14-year-old Linden, and with the immediate declaration that Queen Amaryllis is dying. Linden is given half of the Queen's magic, and told that she is her people's last hope. Sent on a quest to find a way to restore her people's magic, Linden befriends a human named Timothy and travels far from home in search of help. We meet many more faeries, not all of wh ...more
  • Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)
  • Zero Moment (The Joshua Files, #3)
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • Violet Wings (Violet Wings, #1)
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • Perchance to Dream (Théâtre Illuminata, #2)
  • The Glass Swallow
  • The Immortal Realm (Faerie Path, #4)
  • Shadows of Myth and Legend
  • Silksinger (Dreamdark, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
  • 13 Secrets (Thirteen Treasures, #3)
  • Enchanted Darkly
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • The Poison Diaries (Poison Diaries, #1)
  • Fate (Tattoo, #2)
R.J. (Rebecca) Anderson was born in Uganda, raised in Ontario, went to school in New Jersey, and has spent much of her life dreaming (and writing) of other worlds entirely.

5 stars: I loved this book so much that I expect to read it again and again -- I reserve this for beloved classics and others that knocked my socks off.

4 stars: I really enjoyed the book and/or thoug
More about R.J. Anderson...

Faery Rebels (3 books)
  • Knife (Faery Rebels, #1)
  • Arrow (Faery Rebels, #3)