Start by marking “Caught” as Want to Read:
Caught

Caught

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  34,468 Ratings  ·  2,637 Reviews
17-year-old Haley McWaid is the pride of her family and about to embark on a promising college education. Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission, to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate sting operations. Dan Mercer is a social worker and friend to troubled teens, but his story soon becomes more complicated than Wendy could have imagined...
Published March 23rd 2010 by Dutton (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Caught, please sign up.

Timaz definitely! this book made me add the Harlan Coben to my favorite authors list.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
140th out of 5,396 books — 12,162 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownBlood Line by John J.  Davis
Thrillers You Must Read!
65th out of 2,384 books — 3,612 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
I think if I'd read a paper copy I'd have rated more highly. True to form though, Mr Coben has delivered an enjoyable romp into quite a windy sojourn of twists, turns and cul-de-sacs.

Ultimately this book was quite satisfying in terms of the ending, but in getting there I felt it was just too slow. In a way, it felt like it kept going and going.. In saying that though, I did like the epilogue, that was satisfaction for me.

Whilst this is not my favourite of this author, I still very much look for
Lindsey Rey
Apr 10, 2016 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2016
[4.5 Stars]
Michelle♥
Apr 09, 2010 Michelle♥ rated it it was ok
There were two parts to this book. Mind you, I have been anxiously waiting for Coben to come out with a new book. I absolutely love him and think he might be my favorite author of all time.

I always get wrapped up and into the story and literally finish his book within a day or less, and that was the case with this one. Like I said there were two parts to this book.

It kind of threw me because I'm not used to that style of writing from him. There was the dark anticipation and then it spun you for
Daniel Audet
Mar 09, 2011 Daniel Audet rated it it was amazing
I finished this book yesterday and as I read the last few lines I couldn't help remarking to myself that this had to be Coben's best one yet. The pacing was break neck, the characters though all different and some as dysfunctional as a human can get - were believable, some even sympathetic, and some NOT, which is as it should be. Our heroine is an investigative news reporter and a single mom who gets embroiled in job related issues (not good ones) and a murder mystery involving a major college, ...more
Deanna
Aug 07, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it
I read this book while on holiday last year and really enjoyed it.

Quite a few stories intertwining but focusing primarily on a missing girl and a TV program that carries out live child predator stings. Seemingly normal people hiding some very dark secrets. I have seen a few of the Dateline - To Catch a Predator episodes so I found that story-line quite interesting. There were times I wondered if perhaps the show had read the situation wrong (however unlikely). A person who may in fact be innoce
Matthew
Wow! When you read this one you will need to take notes, create a flow chart, etc. and I bet you still won't see anything coming. Not only did keep thinking that I had guessed where the story was going, Coben had me convinced I was right and the BAM! nope . . . wrong again! This happened about 10 times. Only 4 stars because it didn't blow me away, but it was very good.

Also, the mid-life crisis men's club was pretty funny. And, bonus appearance by Win from the Bolitar series.
Edward Lorn
Jul 07, 2016 Edward Lorn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Thriller fans who don't want to think too hard.
Shelves: hardcover
I usually cannot stand books with characters who're idiots or plots that rely on those characters being idiots, but this one wasn't so bad. In fact, I had a damn good time. I've met single-cell organisms with more going on upstairs than reporter and all around doofus Wendy, but Harlan Coben made her extremely easy to read about. There's no way she could've put any of the ending together by herself, but the journey was twisty enough that it kept my attention.

Oh, and I know Coben has a long-runni
Stacey
Mar 28, 2010 Stacey rated it it was amazing
It really does not need to be said that this was an excellent read. One should only look at who the author is and then immediately would know that they are in for a treat.

This book (like all of this author's books) really packs a punch from the first page until, literally, the very last page. As promised, the author delivers another WTF ending that leaves you with adrenaline pumping and dizzy from excitement.

I absolutely LOVED the main character Wendy Tynes, although I admit I was not digging he
Linda
Feb 22, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-crime
Ellen Keim
Jun 10, 2010 Ellen Keim rated it it was ok
Not one of Coben's best. For one thing, a character who speaks in the first person in the prologue immediately fades into the background after I had become intrigued by his story. I think it would have been stronger if he had been the protagonist, a man trying to get out of his own predicament. Instead, Coben switches to a new character and I couldn't quite get into her. (For one thing, the book changes from first person to third.) He briefly introduces a character from other books of his, but t ...more
Jenny Maloney
The Premise: Reporter Wendy Tynes operates a Dateline-esque sting of a probable pedophile named Dan Mercer. He insists he's being set up. When the case against him is thrown out, she questions her conclusions. When she witnesses Mercer's murder...she's not sure what the hell is going on. Of course, as she digs deepers, the troubles (job loss, death threats, etc.) mount up.

The Big Issue: This is one convaluted story, with subplots within subplots within subplots. While Coben walks a fine line he
Love Fool
Apr 10, 2014 Love Fool rated it it was amazing
Harlan Coben is my mystery/thriller writer like Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin to my chick lit books. This man keeps getting my attention with his twist and turns. Everyone needs to read his books! Like now!!!!
I'm not even going to get into detail about this book because I'm the worse person to explain a mystery without ruining it. Just take my word that you will enjoy it.
Tom Tabasco
Jan 14, 2014 Tom Tabasco rated it really liked it
"Caught" is a very good thriller in the typical Harlan Coben's 100-miles-per-hour style, that makes you turn the pages so fast that your hair will ruffle in the ensuing wind. I have read a couple of books by this author before, and I chose this one because it was another "stand alone" thriller, as opposed to the Miron Bolitar series, that I carefully avoided.
Coben seems to have carved himself out a little niche which could be defined as "the fast-paced thriller where seemingly normal people are
☮Karen
Apr 01, 2015 ☮Karen rated it really liked it
I've always been troubled by news stories that not all who are accused of being pedophiles (or many other crimes but pedophilia is especially onerous) can be 100% proven to be guilty. But even when then proven without a doubt to be not guilty, the accused's life is still permanently ruined. What a perfect way to cause someone's downfall if you were the type of person to want to inflict such damage on someone. Sad but true this does happen in today's world. This book proved my point and held my i ...more
Ruth Turner
Nov 30, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it really liked it

Audiobook - Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie, Danny Campbell - Good narration, although I don't particularly enjoy female narrators.

This was my fourth attempt to listen to this audio. I keep getting to the part where Dan Mercer, one of the main characters, approaches the house with the red door and my stomach ties in knots, my mouth goes dry, and I want to scream at him to run!

This time I fast forwarded that part *snort* and managed to finish it.

I liked the characters, even those that weren't p
Ms. Nikki
Aug 14, 2015 Ms. Nikki rated it really liked it
An man with no ties who is well-liked and works with children runs head-first into the lap of a reporter who sets the stage, or should I say, sets up pedophiles.

Their meeting is not by happenstance. Unbeknownst to them, they are just pawns in a bigger scheme that spans time and many relationships.

The truth will come out, but at whose expense?

This may be the second book I've read by Coben and although the author was reaching at times, there was never a moment where I wanted to put the book down.
Janie Johnson
Oct 17, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I was looking forward to reading this book since I enjoyed the other two I have read so far by Coben. This book did not disappoint me, and I think I enjoyed even more than the ones I read before. Coben's writing style, to me, is in a class by itself when it comes to Mystery. And has everything I love about a good mystery. A great cast of characters, a great plot, fluidity, and a whole lot of mystery! I gotta say he kept me guessing throughout the whole book. Just when I thought something was mak ...more
Lisa
Jun 21, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The only thing that saved this one from a one-star rating was the narrator. She was hilarious. You could hear it in her voice: I know this is ridiculous but I'm doing my best with it. She had to deliver the craziest lines and she did it with flair. She even had to rap as a 45 year old white guy who thinks he can fill a niche in the music business. The story itself was terrible. No suspense at all. Even though this was a pretty bad experience, I'm still going to give Tell No One a try, because it ...more
Krissy
What a great book! I could not put it down!
Cynthia Corral
I loved the first chapter, I loved the very very final ending, I hated the narrator.
Carrington MacDuffie reads very well, and she voices females just fine, but every single male character is a very deep throated, slow talking, old man. Most of them sound post-retirement age, if they manage to sound younger they also appear dumb as rocks. There are a lot of male characters in this book, and they all blended together for me because of the narration.

That said, I still REFUSE(!!!) to give five stars
Noeleen
Mar 25, 2013 Noeleen rated it really liked it
Seventeen year old Haley McWaid disappears from a small town in New Jersey. Wendy Tynes, an investigative sets up Dan Mercer, a social worker working with young teenagers, through her television programme Caught In The Act which carries out live televised stings. Think of the TV programme Cheaters except this television programme operates with the purpose of catching online sexual predators. But it appears all is not as clear cut and straightforward as Wendy originally thought or would like and ...more
Kwoomac
This was a perfect choice for a rainy cold Saturday, I read most of it in one sitting. What I enjoy about Harlan Coben is that his books are fast-paced, edge of your seat, suspenseful stories with great characters. So why only two stars if this book was exactly what I was looking for? It came down to an incredibly convoluted plot with twists at every turn and way too many characters. Let's see if I can remember them all. Yes, I'm going to list them so you can get a feel for how much was going on ...more
Robin
Jan 19, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, mystery, 2015
Dan Mercer, a social worker who helps troubled teens, is exposed as a sexual predator by TV Reporter Wendy Tynes on her investigative series "Caught". The accusations turn Dan's life upside down. Wendy begins to doubt whether he is guilty, even though all of the evidence says he is. When the police discover the phone of a missing teenage girl in Dan's hotel room, Wendy digs into Dan's past. Is he a sexual predator? Or did something in his past cause trouble in the present?

Wow! I couldn't put thi
Tiffunee
Oct 30, 2012 Tiffunee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-to-read
Seventeen year old Haley is a good girl. Which is why, when her mother wakes to find she never came home the night before and three months pass with no word everyone assumes the worst.

Wendy Tynes is a reporter on a mission to identify and bring down sexual predators via elaborate and nationally televised -sting operations working with local police her news program caught in the act; she and her team have publicly shamed dozens of men.

Dan Mercer is a social worker who becomes a friend to troubl
Brandie
Apr 11, 2010 Brandie rated it it was amazing
Another great book from the master. I really enjoyed this one...quick and kept me guessing till the end!
Parvathy
Feb 17, 2012 Parvathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery ,thrillers
Recommended to Parvathy by: goodreads
Definitely a book that will keep you guessing till the end. In some of my recent reviews I have written about books in the same genre, I mentioned the fact that nothing seems to surprise me any more in these book and that everything has become so predictable. I was beginning to loose faith in this genre and was developing serious reservations about picking up another book of similar theme but that's all changed now.I am glad to say that HARLAN COBEN has turned around my earlier convictions by de ...more
Patrice Hoffman
Jan 04, 2013 Patrice Hoffman rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this Coben novel. It has all the same traits as any of this author's other books. There are twists, lies, and shocking revelations. Coben always manages to grip the reader from page one.

The story begins with Dan Mercer entering a house he suspects he really shouldn't be in. The red door is screaming at him to stop and turn the other way. Lo and hold, he's being setup by Wendy Tynes to be captured on video as a sexual predator. You know the NBC show "To Catch a Predator". Wendy
İlkim
Sep 25, 2011 İlkim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thriller
Evet, kısaca bir özet geçmem gerekirse Coben her zamanki gibi yine yapacağını yapmış der bitirirdim. Ama biraz daha bahsedeceğim kitaptan. Öncelikle kitap Dan Mercer adlı karakterin kırmızı bir kapıyı açmasıyla başlıyor. Yardıma gittiğini sandığı binada bir televizyon şovunda tuzağa düşürülüyor ve bir anda pedofil damgası yiyor. Bu şovu düzenleyen muhabir ise Wendy. Kitap birkaç koldan ilerliyor, bu esnada kayıp bir kızdan bahsediliyor. Kitap ilerledikçe işler karışıyor, ben de bütün bunlar nası ...more
Tom Swift
Apr 03, 2016 Tom Swift rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, very interesting story. Coben is becoming one of my favorites.
Darlene Quinn
Jul 26, 2014 Darlene Quinn rated it really liked it

Coban can be counted on to keep you turning pages.This novel begins with a news story gone wrong and a missing teenager. Excellent plot twists, which Coban does so well. What may have prevented this from being a 5 star was the narrator. The narrator is so important. I am listening to his novel, Six Years, and enjoying it as much the second time around. This narrator draws you in and moves the story.
Something didn't make sense to me... please help... 3 34 Jul 18, 2015 01:07PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Caught by Harlan Coben 1 12 Mar 26, 2015 07:42AM
Bookwormed Reviews: Caught - Harlan Coben 8 18 Oct 21, 2013 03:40AM
Bookworm Buddies: Caught - Harlan Coben 55 32 Oct 20, 2013 07:05AM
Coben Never Disappoints 6 104 Dec 21, 2012 12:59PM
Jumping the gun? 1 72 Aug 26, 2009 12:05PM
  • Never Look Away
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • They're Watching
  • Shoot to Thrill (Monkeewrench, #5)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • Hush
  • The Blue Zone
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • Intent To Kill
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • The Last Lie (Alan Gregory, #18)
  • Blood Memory (Mississipi #5)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“I remember one time I heard this English professor asking the class what the world's scariest noise is. Is it a man crying out in pain? A woman's scream of terror? A gunshot? A baby crying? And the professor shakes his head and says, 'No, the scariest noise is, you're all alone in your dark house, you know you're all alone, you know that there is no chance anyone else is home or within miles—and then, suddenly, from upstairs, you hear the toilet flush.” 59 likes
“Genius is a curse. That's how I look at it. Some think that the brilliant comprehend the universe in a way the rest of us can't. They see the world how it truly is—and that reality is so horrible the lose their minds. Clarity leads to insanity.” 33 likes