Start by marking “Lies of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Lies of the Heart

Lies of the Heart

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  40 reviews
As her husband's killer stands trial, a woman must come to terms with her marriage's hidden fault lines

Katie Burelli is living a wife's worst nightmare. Her husband, Nick, a speech therapist, has been killed, shot at point-blank range by Jerry, one of his mentally handicapped patients. Now, she sits in the courtroom, playing and replaying the events that led up to the m
Published April 15th 2010 by Viking Adult (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lies of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies of the Heart

Rebecca
Paulette
Won on Goodreads Giveaway. Read the prologue. WOW! Thought I was going to stay up all night reading this one. Unfortunately, not every page did the same for me so this one has taken me all week to read. I wasn’t connected with the characters and began losing interest once the plot began moving back and forth in time. (Which has happened in other books I’ve read and I haven’t lost interest!) I found myself just reading the words instead of relating to them. The story seemed to drag on and on with ...more
Melissa
I won this book from first reads and I was really excited because it sounded great. I finished it a couple of days ago and have been going back and forth between two and three stars. I did like the book, it was an interesting story and thought provoking. But it just wasn't as strong as it could have been.
Michele
First of all, I want to be upfront that I won this book from a goodreads author giveaway... that being said- I truly loved this book. I wish I could give it a 4.5 out of 5.

I really was drawn in to the story line. As a physical therapist who works with the elderly, I can see how easy it is to develop relationships with our patients. I can only imagine when working closely with the mentally handicapped population over a period of months and years that strong relationships could develop that can pl
Juliana
A complicated and unsettling book that I would definitely 100% recommend (4.5 stars)

Michelle Boyajian's debut novel is like an onion, where each page peels away another layer of the story and with each new revelation, you're having to adjust yourself, your position and opinion, and your understanding of the characters and their story. It's like those scenes in movies where you start with the camera focused on one person, then zoom out to the house that person is in, then their community, their t
Amy
I was so looking forward to diving into this book because the premise of it seemed so interesting. Katie, who has made it her life’s goal to publish documentaries, and her husband Nick, a speech therapist, seem to have the perfect marriage. They begin to work together on a case of a mentally-handicapped young man who becomes like a son to them.

One day Jerry, who has the mind of a ten year-old, shoots Nick in cold blood and Katie is forced to stand trial against Jerry and share about Jerry’s inti
Sandie
LIES OF THE HEART begins as a story about a mentally challenged man named Jerry who is on trial for the murder of his speech therapist, Nick Burelli, and evolves into an intimate, in depth look at the dynamics responsible for the events leading up to the tragedy.

Katie Burelli's basic problem is that she has always felt undervalued by her friends, her family and her husband and protects herself by watching life go by rather than participating in it. Her pursuit of a career in documentary filmmak
Alice Osborn
Michelle Boyajian’s debut novel, Lies of the Heart, is too slippery to be assigned one genre.¬¬ It takes off in a prologue with the sentence, “It’s one of those surreal moments in life, sitting there in the courtroom and staring into the eyes of her husband’s killer.” Remember this —it is your first clue. Murder is the MacGuffin that drives the book, but this is not a simple murder mystery or courtroom drama. The prologue is one paragraph and by the bottom of the page the reader knows who was ki ...more
Elizabeth
Lies of the Heart is the intimate telling of Katie Burelli's struggle to make sense of the tragic loss of her husband, their relationship, and events past and present that shaped their life together. Katie's myopic view of herself and her place in the world is tested and redefined through the process of the trial of her husband's murderer. It is a thought-provoking story of questioning and self discovery.

I appreciate the attention to detail taken in creating Katie. While most will not relate to
Crubano410comcast.comnone
Apr 06, 2010 Crubano410comcast.comnone rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Crubano410comcast.comnone by: First Reads
Shelves: first-reads
This is the third time I tried to review this book. My computer is acting up. I put down The Women to start this right away. Right in the middle I had cataract surgery, giving me time to think about what I already read. I believe this book is about the lesson everyone learns at some point in their life. You can't make someone love you. When Katie realizes this, she tries to hold on to Nick by intruding in his job. She feels this would give them a shared interest. The only trouble is Nick does't ...more
Sydney
This was a goodreads win for me, and although the book started off a little slow, I really loved it by the end.

The author does a great job building the main character's personality and really letting the reader get to know her. She seemlessly integrates flashbacks to provide background of the current storyline. Although the book was repetitive at times and I was somewhat shocked at how a woman could be so dependent on a man for her entire sense of self-worth, it was very real and touching. By t
Shannon
This book kept me reading, I couldn't put the book down. I loved how it jumped around from past to present without confusing me. Amazing writing.
Cori (LovesMM)
Received this book through goodreads.com first reads giveaway.

It really took me a while to get into this book. For days I was only able to stand a few pages at a time until I got past page 150. With it being 350 page book I felt that it was way too slow to start. The author continually threw information at you and you have no idea if it was relevant to the story or not.

I'm usually not a fan of how The author goes back and forth from past to present but this author did a pretty good job of disti
Kathleen
I won this book from First Reads. I had a really hard time getting into this book...in fact I didn't really feel very engaged until more than halfway through it. But I wouldn't say it was a bad book. It just didn't seem to grab me at this moment in time. The story revolves around a woman who is going through her husband's murder trial. The man who murdered her husband was a mentally retarded man who both she and her husband were close to. As the book goes on you delve deeper into the main charac ...more
Erin
The premise of this book sounded very interesting -- the husband of the main character is killed by a developmentally disabled man that he worked with and who they both loved and spent time with. Unfortunately, the book ended up being about the main character's bizarre obsession with her husband, who was actually very cruel and didn't love her, and trying to figure out who she was, which I just didn't get, and perhaps didn't care to, because Jerry and Dana were probably the only two characters w ...more
Jana
It took me a while to get through this book, it doesn't immediately drag you in - but about halfway through it got a little more interesting. There was quite a bit of language in the book, which I really didn't like, was it really necessary to use the "F" word in every chapter? But the story itself was an interesting concept. The ending was also a little abrupt, it didn't make a lot of sense and left some unanswered questions. I won this in a goodreads giveaway.
Bridget
Nick has been murdered in a gym by his patient who is mentally ill. Nick's wife, Katie, is distraught but during the trial she begins to think about her marriage. Katie starts to think that she might have had something to do with her husband's death. Did Jerry pull the trigger just for her?

The drama in this book is unlike anything I have ever read before. This psychological intensity keeps you reading until the very last page. I give this book 5 stars.
Megan
Interesting plot idea, but just bad. Riddled with distracting typos and I lost count of how many times the main character's body "crashed into" her husbands' in yet another instance of the author describing Katie's all consuming view of their intimacy. Over-emotional repetitiveness, any substance that it could've had is ruined by the flowery descriptions of how the main character feels- which is so uninteresting it took me quite a while to finally finish.
Georgiann Hennelly
Lies of the heart is the intimate telling of the struggle Katie Burelli went through to try to make sense of the tragic loss of her husband, their relationship, and events past and present that shaped their life together. It is a thought provoking story of Questioning and self discovery. As Katies myopic view of her self and her place in the world is tested and redefined throughout the process of the trail of her husbands murdered.
The Katie
Disclosure: I won this book in a giveaway on Good Reads.

It took me quite awhile to get through this book. The author did a great job of peeling back layers of the story to see what the heart of the heart was. But one you got to it... you are sort of like. Well... I could have guessed that. I also felt he wrap up & epilogue were very brisk. I expected more in the conclusion since the unraveling of the plot was so complex.
Chelsey
Such an amazing book about the struggles of finding ones self in this confusing world. Trying to do what's right while at the same time not wanting to hurt those closest to you. Katie struggles to understand her purpose in life, allowing the movements and actions of others to gage her own. She learns the consequence that come from loving someone so deeply. A love that took away everything she had.
Andrea
Nette
It kept my interest and I enjoyed the courtroom stuff, but I think it was supposed to be heart-tugging and my heart remained stubbornly un-tugged. I did learn that I find "mentally challenged" dialect ("Kateeeeee, I lub my Kateeee!") as offensive as the dialect in "The Help." There's probably no way for authors to get around this, but it still bugs me.
Jan
When I read the jacket of this book I could not wait to start it and was excited to take it on vacation last week. The story line had so much potential which, in my opinion, the author did not live up to. It meandered all over the place and the end was boring. I was really disappointed in it.
Nancy Early
What a fantastic book!
Katie's entire life changes in an instant when Jerry walks toward Nick on the basketball court and shoots him at point-blank range. Katie struggles with being alone, her marriage not what she thought and Jerry's trial. The author certainly did her research! It's a must read!
Shawna Fox
I won this book through Goodreads..I thought it was a great book and would like to give it a 4.5 rating.

I thought it had great characters and having worked with mentally handicapped individuals before I thought it was very accurate. I thought it was a great story!!
Jackie Wolfred
I just received this book today (March 22nd), that I won through Goodreads. I will begin reading it soon.

I loved this book. Could hardly put it down. I so related to the main character, Katie. I won this book on Goodreads.
MaryHelen
This was a book that was profiled in one of those "new books you should read" columns. It's a first novel by this author, and I think we'll hear more from her in the future. It was interesting subject matter and well written.
Sandy
I found this read pretty dark. Boyajian manages to reel the reader into this queasy story quite masterfully. We all have family issues so relating to disfunction keeps us turning the pages until a masterful ending.
Florence Primrose
Psychological suspense as the wife of a speech pathologist at a developmentally disabled center becomes involved with a patient which causes major problems with the speech pathologist.
  • The Debba
  • His Bride
  • My Wicked Fantasy
  • My Heart's Desire
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Who Will Take This Man? (Regency, #1)
  • The Doctor and the Diva
  • When They Come for Us, We'll Be Gone: The Epic Struggle to Save Soviet Jewry
  • IOU Sex
  • Dangerous Race (Adrenaline Highs, #1)
  • The Wake of Forgiveness
  • Exorcising Sean's Ghost
  • When You Say One Thing But Mean Your Mother
  • Twilight at the World of Tomorrow : Genius, Madness, Murder, and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of  War
  • The Gendarme
  • Follow My Lead (The Blue Raven, #3)