Start by marking “For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School” as Want to Read:
For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  2,122 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
Shows parents and teachers how children's learning experiences can be extended to every aspect of life, giving them a new richness, stability, and joy for living.

Every parent and teacher wants to give his or her children the best education possible. We hope that the education we provide is a joyful adventure, a celebration of life, and preparation for living. But sadly, mo
Published June 1st 2009 by Crossway Books (first published September 1st 1984)

Leah Beecher
Aug 04, 2013 Leah Beecher rated it it was amazing
What an unbelievable treasure finding this book was for me. Feeling that the reasons I was going to start homeschooling my two oldest daughters being, I did not like their current public school and we could not afford private education, were both negative reasons, and would make for a negative experience of home education, I agonized over what philosophy of home education I wanted to embrace. It is very important to grab hold of a positive reason to teach at home, for a happy home and happy chil ...more
Jamie Cain
Mar 01, 2010 Jamie Cain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: Lorrie Deringer
This is one of the best books on education I have ever read. WHile I am not a home-schooler (I am headmaster of a classical Christian school), Macaulay's introduction to Charlotte Mason will go on the "reread periodically" pile.

I appreciate Macaulay's style--free, casual, and engaging. Her writing is more than readable; it's a joy to read. I finish reading and feel refreshed. In this, she joins a select group of authors in my experience.

Her content is excellent too. She carefully parses Charlott
Samantha
Feb 03, 2017 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
What an inspiring book! All parents should read this book regardless of if they home school, send their child to private or public school. There is much we can and should do for our children. This is one I will be rereading often.
Ryan Handermann
One of the best books I have ever read about education. This work is essentially an exposition of Charlotte Mason's work on education in the late 19th century, with a more Christian slant from Macaulay. She advocates that children are people (a novel idea), each with individual needs and talents, hence, education should be catered specifically to each child, and not handed out in uniform boxes. This means things like shorter school days, math in the morning, science as real life exploration, giv ...more
Aug 29, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 5 stars!!! I highly recommend it to all!

I had to pay some late fees to the library in order to finish it, but it was so worth it. I'd love to own a copy of this book. It drove me crazy that I couldn't highlight it and mark it up.

This book really cemented in my mind the value of the Charlotte Mason Education style. It is so practical, clear, & Christian-based. Any parent or teacher will benefit from its values and ideas. A great resource for public, private, and homeschool.

C
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 29, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it liked it
Shelves: education
In many ways, Macauley builds a powerful case for why, especially in education, but also just generally in life, we need to view children as persons created in the Imago Dei, and how this must absolutely transform our method of education. She made several valuable insights on how children are able to accomplish a lot more than we give them credit for, and how all of education is linked back to the Imago Dei within each one of us. This book was therefore very enlightening to me, and has changed t ...more
Sara
Nov 15, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't exactly what I expected, probably because it is so overtly Protestant. It reminded me of some of my first experiences in home school. We had Christian-based course work, which irritated me greatly. I'm not sure why, but it did...and still does. The first part of Macaulay's book, I viewed with distaste, especially when she recommended Pilgrim's Progress as an interesting, suitable read. My brother and I loathed that book in home school. It lacks interest and subtlety. I stopped r ...more
Debra
Jul 19, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, education
I bought this book several years ago when my oldest was very young. It didn't really resonate with me then, and I never finished it. Since then, I have many years of homeschooling under my belt and already apply a lot of the practices that are in this book.

This books is based on the educational philosophies of Charlotte Mason from the 1800's.

There is a lot of valuable information in this book of Christ-centered learning. My favorite is from the chapter that describes "children are born persons"
Graeme Pitman
Jan 03, 2016 Graeme Pitman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“How colorfully and scientifically our generation talks down to the little child! What insipid, stupid, dull stories are trotted out! And we don’t stop there. We don’t respect the children’s thinking or let them come to any conclusions themselves! We ply them with endless questions, the ones we’ve thought up, instead of being silent and letting the child’s questions bubble up with interest. We tire them with workbooks that would squeeze out the last drop of anybody’s patience. We remove interest ...more
Ali
Jan 07, 2009 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first homeschooling book I ever read. This book opened my eyes to my God-given responsibility to provide a quality Christian environment for my children to learn. It also introduced me to Charlotte Mason, a Christian educator who believed children are thinking, feeling persons with all the personality and attributes of adults; not merely a vessel to be filled, but "a spirtual organism, with an appetite for all knowledge." I highly recommend this book for those thinking about homeschooling!
Melissa Munaco
Mar 19, 2013 Melissa Munaco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
This is one of those books that I know I will continue to come back to again and again over the years as our children go. A timeless call to true education and all that it encompasses. It inspired me and gave me hope!
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started slowly for me but I definitely warmed to it. The chapter concerning religious education - specifically that there is no division between the secular and sacred but that the sacred permeates all areas of learning - was my favorite.
Becky Pliego
I needed to read this book in this particular season of my life. However, I didn't know it until I finished the last page.
Karen
Jan 31, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom
First read this book in 2010. Reread all the parts I had highlighted. This needs to be a book I read each year as a refresher..krb 1/31/16
Lindsay
Jul 26, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fabulous book on cultivating a living and rich education, child training and habit formation, valuing children as person's, and so much more. Highly recommended for all mothers!
Michelle
Good book to add to your library on education and children.
Ruth
Sep 11, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
I just finished reading this book. It was written by a woman who was impressed with the ideas of Charlotte Mason, an educator working in England beginning in approximately 1850. Charlotte Mason is a big name in homeschooling because she had a very distinct educational philosophy, generally a bit gentler, less rushed, and child-centric than your average approach. Susan, the author of this book, presents some of Charlotte Mason's ideas in a more modern light and adds her own research and observati ...more
Jessica
Jan 31, 2017 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What this book was--a great motivator for the Charlotte Mason method and for homeschooling. What this book was not--a Charlotte Mason how to, specifically, use the method. It was more about her general education theory as a whole. What I liked most about this book is it really got me not only excited to homeschool, but made me feel like I can truly do it and it will be the most beneficial education for my kids. While the religion part of the method was a little much for me, this book will give y ...more
Jessi
Dec 23, 2016 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the Children's Sake presents a picture of a Charlotte Mason-inspired education that is my dream life:

Charlotte Mason gives us a plan that is beautifully balanced. The children are given tasks, so that they learn basic skills. Their minds are nourished. They are put in touch with the whole of reality. They have structure and yet they are given time, half the day, for freedom. This was up to the age of 13 years [ in the Charlotte Mason style school] without homework. They can develop their ow
Paige
Jan 13, 2017 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This proved to be a wonderful introduction to the Charlotte Mason approach to education. I would highly recommend it, as it's much easier to read than Mason's original works.
Corrie
Jan 30, 2017 Corrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good thoughts for parenting young children and teaching them even if they go to school outside the home. Great thoughts for homeschooling philosophy.
Marla
Dec 06, 2016 Marla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sweet and sensible. practical encouragement.
Hannah
Jan 03, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best education books I've read.
Jill
Jan 16, 2017 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read, highly recommended. One of the best.
Adrianne
Jan 17, 2017 Adrianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started really delving into homeschooling and seeking more on a classical education, I started running across little tid bits of Charlotte Mason. I joined a few Charlotte Mason facebook groups and this book kept coming up as books that had a huge impact on homeschoolers. I saw that my library had the audio version available for free so I borrowed it. I devoured it. I have already recommended it to a number of other homeschooling moms and I even bought a paperback copy of it from Amazon to ...more
Ann
Jan 12, 2017 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very influential in my life for the past 17 years of homeschooling.
Robbie
Jan 12, 2017 Robbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of Charlotte Mason's Educational Philosophy. It also has some practical tips for how to apply it in a slightly more modern age.
Daniel Stegeman
Jan 12, 2017 Daniel Stegeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! We are in the process of homeschool our 4 children and this book really helped give me a vision for classical Christian education. Highly recommended.
Emily
Dec 31, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many homeschoolers I know have said that this was a sort of life-changing book for them, so I guess that's what I was expecting and therefore disappointed. There was nothing earth-shattering for me here, but maybe if many of these principles were new information I would have had a different reaction.
Jordan K
Dec 28, 2016 Jordan K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We are told by many in our generation that this small child...is a possession, like a pet animal. We must answer: No. You are holding a PERSON on your knee. And that is wonderful."
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • The Three R's
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • The Way They Learn
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Beyond Survival Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling
Susan Schaeffer Macaulay grew up in Switzerland at L'Abri Fellowship, which was founded by her parents Francis and Edith Schaeffer. She and her husband Ranald Macaulay established and led the L'Abri branch in England for several years. She is also the author of For the Family's Sake and contributed to Books Children Love and When Children Love to Learn.
More about Susan Schaeffer Macaulay...

“No parent/home/child/teacher/school has an all-round 100 percent wholeness. We all have limitations and problems. But I must never think it is all or nothing.
Perhaps I'd like to live in the country, but I don't. Well, maybe I can get the family to a park two times a week, and out to the country once every two weeks.
Maybe I have to send my child to a not-so-good school. Well, maybe we can read one or two good books together aloud. If you can't give them everything, give them something.”
5 likes
“It does not mean that adults think of a child as a blank sheet of paper on which they imprint their ideas, impressions, and knowledge. Neither does it mean leaving the child unattended like a weed growing in a sidewalk. It is a balanced understanding of education as the provision of possibilities for a person to build relationships with a vast number of things and thoughts.” 1 likes