Start by marking “Irredeemable, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Irredeemable, Vol. 1

Irredeemable, Vol. 1 (Irredeemable #1; issues 1-4)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  4,026 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
A comic book industry event: a new original ongoing superhero series from Mark Waid! IRREDEEMABLE dares to ask the question: what if the world's greatest hero decided to become the world's greatest villain?  A "twilight of the superheroes"- style story that examines super-villains from the writer of KINGDOM COME and EMPIRE!

Collects issues #1–4
Published October 6th 2009 by BOOM! Studios (first published August 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Irredeemable, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irredeemable, Vol. 1

Jeff
Jul 19, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comix
“I used to be such a sweet, sweet thing
'Til they got a hold of me.
I opened doors for little old ladies,
I helped the blind to see.
I got no friends 'cause they read the papers.
They can't be seen with me and I'm gettin' real shot down
And I'm feeling mean.”

No More Mr. Nice Guy

Word, Alice Cooper!

The Plutonian who used to be Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent is now downright villainous and mean. The book opens with another s
Lono
May 12, 2015 Lono rated it really liked it
description
Superheroes gone bad has been done before (a bunch), but I have to give Mark Waid credit for doin’ it well. This was a recommendation from one of my Shallow Comic Reading life partners (Either The Incredible Jeff or my favorite Ontarioian, Gavin) I'm not exactly sure which one'na my shorties it was due to all the brain damage from years of recreational pharmaceuticals. But it was a damn good one.

description

Volume 1 seems to be mostly set up for exactly what the Plutonian (this series rogue Superman) is cap
Anne
Irredeemable was one of those things I picked up on a whim at the library, and then just couldn't put down.
It's the story of a superhero who goes bad. Really really bad. Imagine Superman going rogue. What chance do any of the other members of the Justice League have against him?
Yeah, pretty much none.
It opens with Plutonian turning one of his former teammates wife and toddler into crispy critters...
Then it keeps getting better and better.
Good stuff.
Go check it out.
Cheese
May 12, 2015 Cheese rated it really liked it
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

4.5 ****s

Wow what a rush. I'm late to the party, but damn I'm hooked!

This is excellent, I love what Waid has churned out here. He's obviously had time to deliberate about this character.

In my head I was cheering for the heroes, and unlike your typical child friendly comic, wham they're dead. Fucking brilliant.

It's almost a what if Gareth Ennis did superman ha ha.

I'm buying all of these ASAP.
Sam Quixote
Nov 04, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
The sub-genre of superhero fiction where superheroes, or usually a Superman-type character, goes off the rails is unusually fertile ground for comics writers. Alan Moore’s “Watchmen”, Garth Ennis’ “The Boys” and Mark Millar’s “Superman: Red Son” have all explored an alternative to the heroic figures presented to us in comics and all are exceptional works of art. Added to this field of subversive superhero stories is Mark Waid’s “Irredeemable” which posits the idea of a Superman-type superhero ca ...more
Ronyell
irredeemable

Introduction:

I have read many comic books from different companies including Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse, but this was honestly the first time I had read a comic book series from Boom Studios! This comic book happens to be called “Irredeemable,” which is an Eisner Nominated Comic Book Series that is written by Mark Waid along with artwork by Peter Krause and man, was I in for one heck of a surprise when I started reading this comic book!

What is this story about?

In this volume, the Plu
Artemy Nizovtsev
Jan 17, 2017 Artemy Nizovtsev rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 5stars, boom
Wow, that was great! The concept of Superman-type hero gone crazy homicidal maniac is not new, but I've never seen it done so well before. Plutonian is absolutely terrifying, and the story feels believable in the way it escalates and develops. Excellent start to a hopefully great series!
Tiara
Apr 18, 2013 Tiara rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, boom
You tell a man he's a god enough times, and he'll start to be believe it. You strip away his humanity by worshipping him, and eventually he'll think it's his right to lord over you. Continuously mention that his powers are the only reason the planet still turns, and one day that virtue that compels him to save you will turn into the vice that causes him to decimate whole cities without remorse.

However, despite that recipe for disaster, there's still one more key ingredient. The inner struggle th
Jim Ef
Sep 20, 2015 Jim Ef rated it really liked it
What would happen if the world's greatest superhero turned into a bad guy? That's happening in Mark Waid's Irredeemable. Not a completely new idea i know but if Superman lost it you wouldn't be to frightened because you know there is Batman and the JL. Same goes for Hulk and the Avengers. This is where Irredeemable wins points. The fact that all the characters are unknown to us makes it interesting. Also Plutonian ( main character ) seemz invincible and his old partners who are trying to stop hi ...more
Mad Tom
Sep 15, 2016 Mad Tom rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope

Irredeemable couldn't better describe this. What begins with promise quickly fizzles out as a blatant, tedious insult to our favorite superheroes. Coming from the writer of Kingdom Come, this is disappointing.

The Plutonian is a shallow, cheesy imitation of Superman. He lacks origin, depth, and dialog, serving as a fast and foolish satire. He stupidly reveals his identity and projects blame. His dialog ranges between cliché superhero and impetuous villain. He doesn't appear genuinely moral or al
Jesse A
May 11, 2014 Jesse A rated it liked it
I love the idea but I just found the execution a bit lacking. Kind of Meh for me.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This book earns a "WOW" from me!

For readers who are hugely captivated by superheroes, this book will hit them where they live. It's very ambitious and quite brave of Mark Waid to go there. To show a superhero go dark, and I mean, really, really dark. I know that we've seen Superman get a little 'bad boy' when he gets poisoned by red kryptonite, but that is no where near what happens to Plutonium.

Plutonium is evidence of a superhero who cracks under the pressure. He has been derided and criticiz
Martin
Nov 19, 2012 Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: too-short, reviewed
Great premise. "Superman-rip-off snaps and becomes the world's worst super-villain" has a novel ring to it, and it's good that this comes from a competent writer like Mark Waid, that way we know it'll be at least "good".

Well, this was good. My main issue with this book is that it is basically 4 issues of set-up, throws a LOT of stuff at you (sometimes through flashbacks) and it's not established as to why, exactly, the hero turns bad.

However, it did get me interested enough to read volume 2, wh
Gavin
Sep 30, 2012 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was my 2nd read of this first volume of Irredeemable. I have to say the premise alone is genius, and the execution in the first issue is tremendous. The art is great, the story is fantastic, and sets up a base upon which to build one heck of a story. What happens when the World's Greatest Hero loses his shit and starts killing people? What do you do? Who do you turn to? Who is safe? How will the other heroes handle it? Is he a bad guy now or is he even beyond that?
What happens when Superman
Josh
Oct 01, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing
Solid!
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
"What makes a hero IRREDEEMABLE?"

What if the world's most powerful and respected superhero became a raging, maniacal supervillain?

How would the world survive when its remaining superheros scatter and cower in his presence?

"You can't stay here..."

"Why the hell would I bother to leave? You don't get it. The Plutonian has gone rogue. We're all going to die."

Irredeemable follows the Plutonian's former allies as they rush to piece together the mystery behind his drastic transformation from good to e
Dave Morris
Mar 14, 2011 Dave Morris rated it it was amazing
You want pace, inventiveness, rich characterization and sheer bravura storytelling? There's very little in either comics or prose fiction that can hold a candle to Mark Waid's Superman-goes-bad saga. I'm finding it hard to remember the last time I came across such a must-read story - I had the whole run of comics to date and was up until 2am because each plot twist was more compelling than the last.

What I particularly like: the story is completely driven by character, the same way as The Shield
J.E. Remy
Jan 03, 2013 J.E. Remy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was really good, but it had the potential to be great. I think the main flaw was that it started in media res. Without seeing just how good the Superman-esque character actually was (or without each character being a clearer direct mirror to the Justice League) there was no way of seeing how terrible his transformation into a villain actually was, or how frightening the shift would be for the members of the super team he was once part of.

That being said, Waid has created a world where a her
Jedhua
Jul 04, 2016 Jedhua rated it liked it
Other Useful Reviews: J.E. Remy's review

Book Info: This collection contains Irredeemable issues #1-4.

{2.5/5 stars} (Rounded Up)

description

The Plutonian was once Earth's ultimate protector. As a member of The Paradigm, he and other champions regularly fought side-by-side to protect humanity, and against all manner of outlandish threats. Idolized by the people, and admired by his costumed peers, The Plutonian lived like a god among mortals, and clearly stood as the strongest of his kind. For a while, every
Julio Bonilla
Jun 04, 2017 Julio Bonilla rated it it was amazing
It's amazing how many people die by the hands of one superhero! 😏
William Thomas
When Zack Snyder announced that he would be adapting Watchmen, not only the fans began to salivate. More creators and writers and studios realized that it would be a perfect time to cash in on similar styled works filled with ethical conundrums, anti-heroes, and throwback artwork. However the industry has grown over the past few years (not attributing it to the release of Watchmen in any way, really, except for a certain few books), it is awash with as much brilliance as it is with degraded and ...more
Rosa
Sep 19, 2011 Rosa rated it liked it
I have been thinking about reading this for a while. The Plutonian is an all powerful superhero. This means that over the past decade in addition to saving the world several times over he has heard every negative word and thought people have made about him. In addition he has been betrayed by people he thought he could trust and love. Eventually he snaps and that's where this book begins, in the middle of the fall out.

The book goes back and forth between actions before and after the snap. The ac
Joe Young
Jul 25, 2012 Joe Young rated it it was amazing
Mark Waid - writer
Peter Krause - artist

5/5 stars

What would it take for Superman to be pushed over the edge of sanity, and what would the consequences be for humanity when the most powerful "super hero" on Earth gives in to his dark side? This is the premise for Mark Waid's excellent series "Irredeemable." Volume 1 begins after The Plutonion (for all intents and purposes Superman -- super-strength, flight, super-senses, invulnerability, super-speed, etc. -- but without the canonical baggage of th
Jeff Lanter
Jun 22, 2016 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I finished reading this about a week ago and forgot to write a review at the time. Unfortunately, now that time has passed, it is a little harder to write a review but here goes nothing. This book is definitely for people who enjoy the deconstruction of superheroes like in Watchmen or Powers. That is exactly what happens here. A superhero not unlike Superman (meaning the protagonist has immense power) goes crazy/rejects being a hero. The Plutonian is bizarre and evil and yet, it is engrossing to ...more
James DeSantis
Jun 06, 2016 James DeSantis rated it liked it
Man oh man...I never got to finish this in High School. I read up to Volume 3.

So I'm re-reading it from start to finish because...well because the movie reminded me I never finished it. So here we go.

What if you took Superman and made him into a killing machine. Cool. Now what if have a mystery of WHY crazy Superman is murdering all of his friends. SWEET.

The first volume of Irredeemable starts off vicious and doesn't let up...too much. You see the death of countless character, who you don't h
Sonic
May 20, 2010 Sonic rated it liked it
I was underwhelmed with this one at first but the more I read the better it got, and by the time it ended, I was like "Damn!" heh heh.
It is a fun premise that I have often thought about, and it is a dark and cynical premise that is also realistic and largely ignored, in the comics genre.

What if an incredibly powerful being got sick of being a hero for a bunch of normal human ingrates?

It is very plausible. In fact it makes me think of Obama, (who jokes that he is not Superman) who is trying to
TJ Shelby
Feb 03, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it
Great start to a new dark series from Mark Waid. The basic premise is what would happen if a Superman-esque character snapped, went rogue and became the world's worst super villian? This trade paperback contains the first four issues and sets the foundation for what could be a disturbingly great series.
Nicholas
Jul 02, 2014 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites
If I had 10,000 words I don't think I could adequately sing enough praise for what Mark Waid has accomplished with Irredeemable. Is it a bumpy ride? Sure, it's got some rough patches, I think any logical mind tends to reel just a bit when casual time travel is used willy-nilly, but the morality adventure we embark upon with its rich thematic layers, imagery and symbolism is just too good to let a few ludicrous sci-fi plotting decisions ruin.

The premise of the story is a rejection of the idea th
Itay
May 21, 2017 Itay rated it it was amazing
ככה קומיקס סופר גיבורים צריך להיראות - בלי מטען של עשרות שנים שהופך את הדמויות לבנות אלמוות אפשר לכתוב סיפורים מרתקים הרבה יותר.
Fiction State Of Mind
Apr 25, 2010 Fiction State Of Mind rated it it was amazing
Bibliophiles of L...: February - Irredeemable Vol 1 2 4 Feb 02, 2016 08:01AM
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Incognito
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 3
  • Superior
  • The Boys, Volume 2: Get Some
  • Fear Agent, Volume One: Re-Ignition (Fear Agent, #1)
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • The Authority, Vol. 1: Relentless
  • Jonah Hex, Vol. 1: Face Full of Violence
  • Rising Stars: Born in Fire (Rising Stars, #1)
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid...