Start by marking “The Week the World Stood Still: Inside the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis” as Want to Read:
The Week the World Stood Still: Inside the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis

The Week the World Stood Still: Inside the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The Cuban missile crisis was the most dangerous confrontation of the Cold War and the most perilous moment in American history. In this dramatic narrative written especially for students and general readers, Sheldon M. Stern, longtime historian at the John F. Kennedy Library, enables the reader to follow the often harrowing twists and turns of the crisis.

Based on the autho
Published January 18th 2005 by Stanford University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Week the World Stood Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Week the World Stood Still

Chuck
Jan 25, 2016 Chuck rated it really liked it
I have read a few books on the Cuban Missle Crisis but this is the first I have read that involves the actual tapes that were recorded at the meetings of the Kennedy Whitehouse. This is an amazing book. The people of the United States did not know at the time how close to nuclear war we really were. You can feel the intensity and stress as you read this book. Truly amazing.
David O'Neill
Mar 28, 2013 David O'Neill rated it really liked it
Good read. I knew a good bit about the crisis already but this book thanks to the fact it's based on real transcripts gives great insight. Hard not to respect Kennedy for what he did in facing down so many hawks in his administration who wanted a more hostile course of action that likely would have ended civilisation as we know it.
David Sam
Nov 21, 2012 David Sam rated it really liked it
The now available White House tape transcripts reveal the real discussions during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Stern allows the principals to speak while giving a narrative context. Shows how Kennedy was not the hard-charging Cold Warrior during these talks, but the voice of reason against those who wanted to bomb away.
Beatríz
Dec 09, 2010 Beatríz rated it really liked it
I now understand the Cold War a little bit better. It was hard understanding how people could be so afraid and it made how people felt scared the world would end real to me. I didn't get that until now.
Mike Brown
Jul 14, 2013 Mike Brown rated it it was ok
Reads as one long conversation between President Kennedy and his staff and advisors. Gets very tedious at times.
B Kevin
May 16, 2013 B Kevin rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
It was interesting, but I found it tedious at times, and found myself skimming through bits.
Erik Sande
Erik Sande rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Ashraf Roumie
Ashraf Roumie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Emily Holcombe
Emily Holcombe marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Vic
Vic marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Steve Gifford
Steve Gifford rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Mitch Laretz
Mitch Laretz rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Georgina Brandt
Georgina Brandt marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
JH
JH rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Laura Yamasaki
Laura Yamasaki is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Richard Scholtz
Richard Scholtz rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Tim Weiner
Tim Weiner rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Deborah E. S. Perrin
Deborah E. S. Perrin rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
Michael Fields
Michael Fields marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Guadalupe Cardona
Guadalupe Cardona is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015