The Week the World Stood Still: Inside the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis

The Week the World Stood Still: Inside the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Cuban missile crisis was the most dangerous confrontation of the Cold War and the most perilous moment in American history. In this dramatic narrative written especially for students and general readers, Sheldon M. Stern, longtime historian at the John F. Kennedy Library, enables the reader to follow the often harrowing twists and turns of the crisis.

Based on the autho...more
Published January 18th 2005 by Stanford University Press

David O'Neill
Good read. I knew a good bit about the crisis already but this book thanks to the fact it's based on real transcripts gives great insight. Hard not to respect Kennedy for what he did in facing down so many hawks in his administration who wanted a more hostile course of action that likely would have ended civilisation as we know it.
David  Sam
The now available White House tape transcripts reveal the real discussions during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Stern allows the principals to speak while giving a narrative context. Shows how Kennedy was not the hard-charging Cold Warrior during these talks, but the voice of reason against those who wanted to bomb away.
Beatríz
I now understand the Cold War a little bit better. It was hard understanding how people could be so afraid and it made how people felt scared the world would end real to me. I didn't get that until now.
Mike Brown
Reads as one long conversation between President Kennedy and his staff and advisors. Gets very tedious at times.
B Kevin
It was interesting, but I found it tedious at times, and found myself skimming through bits.
Lou Washington
Lou Washington is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Leon
Leon added it
Jan 22, 2014
Luis L
Luis L marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Micheal Segroves
Micheal Segroves marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Hannah
Hannah added it
May 10, 2014
Chet Herbert
Chet Herbert marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Rob Peirce
Rob Peirce marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Txai Folly
Txai Folly marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Ashley
Ashley added it
May 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Averting 'The Final Failure': John F. Kennedy and the Secret Cuban Missile Crisis Meetings The Cuban Missile Crisis in American Memory: Myths versus Reality (Stanford Nuclear Age Series)