Start by marking “The Runner” as Want to Read:
The Runner

The Runner

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,767 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Following the success of Numbered Account, Reich returns to the electrifying world of international thrillers with a tale of cat and mouse in post-World War II Germany. An elite member of Hitler's SS and former Olympic sprinter known as The White Lion, Erich Seyss has just escaped from an American P.O.W. camp. Determined to avenge the death of his brother, American lawyer ...more
Published March 7th 2000 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runner

Dave Bernard
I am a Christopher Reich fan since reading his first book Numbered Accounts. Of course my wife is Swiss so his familiarity with the local geography and all things Swiss makes the novels that much more interesting at a personal level. The Runner was a bit slower for me although once I got into the main characters I was hooked as usual. Set in the years immediately following WWII, Reich describes a different perspective than I have experienced as he details the destruction in and around Germany. T ...more
My first book of 2015! This book is pulp to the core, complete with a New York City cop, vintage lingo, Army jargon and all the 1940's references the author could jam in there. If you like a good chase, if you like alternate history, if you like WWII fiction... then this is your book. It's an easy read if for no other reason than you'll want to tear right through it to find out if the escaped Nazi SS officer/former Olympian can complete his last secret mission, or if the NYC rum-runner turned-co ...more
The Runner by Christopher Reich was highly recommended by my father-in-law, however we don't often share tastes in books, but in this case I'm glad I took his word.
Set in Germany immediately after the end of WWII. It concerns an ex-Olympic sprinter who finds himself sprung from a POW camp awaiting war crime investigations to join a plot to assassinate both Churchill and Truman on Russian territory to spark a conflict between the western allies and Russia. The plot hatched by Nazi businessmen, Ge
Reich really brings post war Germany to life in this tense thriller. very entertaining and utterly fascinating
Chris Scully
My dad recently turned me on to Christopher Reich and I've been going through his backlist ever since. He's a solid, fast-paced writer who doesn't overly complicate things. This one is unlike his other financial thrillers and is my favorite so far. It's essentially a police thriller (ex-cop chasing down the man who killed his brother) only it's set in post-WWII Germany and the killer is a former Nazi. Throw in a bit of speculative history and it had me hooked. It's a period I don't read much abo ...more
Predictable, bland, not very exciting. Entertaining, but nothing spectacular.
Melody Benz
I read several works dealing with WWII last fall and winter so this book was especially intriguing as the setting is Post and a military attorney assigned to tribunals. He's looking for the man who ordered the killing of his brother. So the story progresses at break neck speeds from the beginning in typical Reich fashion. The humanity aspect of this book made it perhaps the favorite of my collection. The characters, both living and dead, touched me.
I'm pretty torn about whether this is a 3-star or 4-star book for me. I actually gave it 4 stars and by the time I finished writing my review, I decided to go with 3. Towards the end I couldn't put this book down, but looking back the book at times seemed to meander around trying to figure out where the story was really going. It took a while for the book to really take off, the beginning was rather slow and then it got really interesting, and then it just ended. I finished it and thought, that' ...more
Mar 15, 2013 Ice added it
Shelves: thriller
Well-developed Post--WWII story, containing enough detail to make the reader feel they are on the scene, without it making the narrative clunky. I liked how the viewpoint changed between characters so the reader had an omniscient view of the whole, without it making the plot predictable. 100% lives up to the "Thriller" designation!
Pamela Mclaren
An interesting read about the end of WWII, especially the shifting alliances that happened particularly as the Allied forces shifted for power over Germany.

In this Christopher Reich thriller, U.S. attorney Devlin Judge, part of an international tribunal to try Nazi war criminals, heads out on a personal vendetta against Erich Siegfried Seyss, the man responsible for his brother's death. Seyss, however, has just escaped from a POW camp and is himself set on one last mission for the fatherland. Ju
Fredrick Danysh
The runner is set in post- World War II Germany at the trails of war criminals. Devlin Judge is a lawyer who used to be a New York City op. He comes with an agenda to find the man who murdered his brother and bring him to justice.
This was a lot better than I was expecting. Not a favorite by any means, but not bad. Definitely entertaining. Listened to an audio recording of this while driving to and from work, and just finished it earlier this evening. I am not planning on seeking out any of his other works, but I was not disappointed by this.

A story of the political and military situations in Europe immediately after WWII, one individual's attempts to seek revenge and justice to avenge his brother's death (Major Judge is
As another reviewer said, good airport/airplane reading. A post WWII hunt for a escaped SS officer, filled with sadness and despair of post war germany plus some interesting insights into the world of the "winners" occupying Germany. I wouldn't recommend anyone run out and buy this book but if you are flying coast to coast, its a decent page turner. I found Ingrid Bach to be a somewhat compelling figure although i'm not really sure why. The ending with Gen Patton is a little strange too. All in ...more
Interesting spy thriller based partially on fact during WW2. Gives the reader a feel for the awful circumstances that occurred in Germany during that period.
I liked this one more than his first book but it just takes too long to get to the point...far too much waffle. I did enjoy the setting in post WWII Germany and the way he weaves real life characters, e.g. Patton, into the story.
As expected. Needed something light an easy after some deeper reads. An airport bookstore book. Nothing impressive here. Included a lot from other better books. I'd say it is most like a lazy version of The Day of the Jackal, which even decades later holds up better than this yarn.
Action packed story ... Probably not my usual kind of thing ... But compelling ...
Masterful character development in a historically-based novel set in Germany at the end of WWII.

Lately I've been frustrated with books where I had no character to root for. This time, I was frustrated with myself because I was rooting for the American (whose character was flawed), the German (who, despite being on the wrong side, showed enough hesitation that, halfway through, I started to hope for his redemption), and the woman the two shared.

When I finished the book, I had to quiz my history-
Neil Clarke
School year ends - just the right switching off kind of book!
Kai Palchikoff
Patton Nazi plot to kill Truman
Marion Hover
Quite a fast pace through this book so I was expecting something good at the end but it was a bit of a let down. Felt there was more of a story to tell.
Yes quite an interesting book which gave pause for thought; set between VE Day and VJ Day in Germany and a view of Patton and other characters that sent me to check out the "facts" - Im a cynic these days. But my first edition hardback copy had an enormous quantity of typos in it including repeats of whole paragraphs. So I am not surprised that there aren`t too many copies around and the paper back emerged very quickly. ...more
The characters of this book are a little more caricaturistic than Eiken’s first novel, especially the lead character. Overall, it keeps you moving, and I think I read one of the quotes on the back saying it was “plausible”, which I think it was, and x seems to have done his reading about WWII. On the negative, the last escape of the ‘Runner’ was a little much for me, and the book, unexpectedly, did not end rather well.
Very good thriller if you're into those. I was on the tip of my toes throughout the whole story. The one complaint I have is not knowing how it ends for two of the major characters I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY GOT TOGETHER OR NOT rrrr. Otherwise though a very good book and I learned a fun fact! In Germany after WWII to earn money Germans would collect cigarette butts, every 7 butts would have enough tobacco for one whole cigarette!
Above average World War II-era thriller about an attorney assigned to the war crimes tribunal looking to avenge his brother's death at the hands of the Nazis. It begins a little slowly, but it gains pace as the story unfolds. Reisch does a great job of folding in a pieace of American history that most would soon forget -- Patton's admiration for the Nazis. Not the typical war novel, and worth the read.
Frederick Bingham
A thriller about a US GI's search for a German SS officer who escaped from a POW camp after WWII. The ending is pretty predictable.

Spoiler alert...

The book makes the accusation that George Patton attempted to have Truman, Churchill and Stalin assassinated at Potsdam after the war. I guess this is fiction, so one should not take it too seriously.
Beth Schneider
Set in post-WWII Germany, this book followed a former NYC detective who is now an attorney working on the war crimes trial. He discovers that the man responsible for his brother's death has escaped from jail and is on the run. The author did a good job developing the characters and delving into the sometimes murky world of post-war reconstruction.
I enjoyed this book more than "Numbered Account", but that's not a huge surprise since I didn't really like "Numbered Account." Regardless, this book is pretty good, but not terribly compelling. I never had that sense of urgency to keep reading as the plot unfolded. Still, I'd recommend it to some friends who might like this sort of story.
Yvonne Mendez
Post WWII after Nazi Germany was defeated and the winners were in the middle of deciding what to do with the country and its war criminals. Eric Seyss, one of the baddies, escapes and he's being tracked down by Judge Devlin, the goodie with a mission. The story is fast paced, conspiracies inside conspiracies with a touch of historical fiction.
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number for ISBN 9780747266242 2 83 Feb 23, 2014 10:55AM
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Silesian Station (John Russell, #2)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Brandenburg
  • The Trinity Six
  • The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1)
  • Blood of the Reich
  • The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne, #1)
  • The Second Saladin
  • Then We Take Berlin
  • The Night of the Generals
  • Assassin
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Day Of Confession
  • Operatives, Spies, and Saboteurs: The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of World War II's OSS
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • Gratitude
  • The Amateur
He was born in Tokyo and moved to Los Angeles in 1965. He attended Georgetown University and the University of Texas and worked in Switzerland before returning to the United States to become an author. He lives in San Diego and is the author of seven novels. He has a wife and 2 kids. His father is Willy Wolfgang Reich

"A relentlessly fast-paced espionage thriller, ripped from tomorrow's headlines b
More about Christopher Reich...