Start by marking “Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens” as Want to Read:
Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens

Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An esteemed professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer, Dr. John Mack never intended to become an expert in the controversial study of alien abductees. But after investigating over 60 cases of alien abduction through hundreds of hours of interviews and treatment, Dr. Mack now presents the mesmerizing tales of alien encounters ...more
Published September 10th 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Abduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abduction

Erik Graff
Aug 17, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ufologists
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: psychology
Frankly, I find psychological case studies boring in general. The few exceptions have been book-length studies by exceptionally good writers. Mack is all right as a writer, but not exceptional, not here.

The theme of these case studies carried me through the exercise, however. The facts that a tenured senior psychiatrist at Harvard, a psychoanalytically trained Pulitzer winner, would give credence to alien abduction accounts by his clients, that there were so many so accounts available to him in
Ard
Over the years I have read a number of books on UFOs and abductions, and found this one to be one of the most important. Not only because the author/researcher is a Harvard psychiatrist, which admittedly adds to its credibility. But also because the various cases which this book describes gives the reader a careful and balanced impression of the intellectually challenging phenomenon of these encounters. Halfway through the book I found myself watching the film "Intruders" again, also a fair repr ...more
Mike
This is a must read for anyone with questions about what might be behind some UFO sightings. If you think we may be being visited by alien races, this book will be thought-provoking to say the least. Mack comes across as entirely credible, methodical, extremely careful, and quite likeable. He couldn't have done a better job on what could have been a very easy to discredit book. Instead, his expert and careful handling of the subject resulted in a book that is entirely believable, an encyclopedia ...more
Patrick\
Best book going on alien abductions. John Mack is no crazy pushing an agenda of proof. The accounts presented by this respected psychiatrist point out a uniformity of abuction experiences that defies rational explanation other than what they claim to be. Mass illusion? Possibly. No paranoia - no government conspiracies - straight reportage with comment. Mack leaves the abductions question open as to authenticity, though only a crack.
Jackee
I read this book as a child, because I used to be obsessed with Aliens. I didn't believe they existed, but I loved reading about them in a fictional sense. This book scared me so much (in an omg they may exist sense) that I never finished it.
Claire
This book is much more analytical and in-depth than others of this type; Dr. Mack is a Harvard Pulitzer Prize winner who documents his cases meticulously. CAUTION: Read in small doses----it gets creepy after a while, but remains fascinating!!
Sue
Really good.
It was scary and one night I had to discontinue because I was really creeped out.
I was hearing noises in the house and thought the aliens were coming through the walls; only the cats. ok.
Laura Crean
This was a very thorough recording of a sample of John's case studies of people who had reportedly been abducted by aliens. He recounted their stories and their experiences under hypnosis. He also links them all very well and hints at something deeper to do with altered states of consciousness and possible multi-dimensional realities. However I found this book to be lacking somehow, I'm not sure why. I felt that as a psychologist John actually wrote a book that could be used to come to a conclus ...more
Erendira
This book is definitely creepy because of the detailed, methodical approach the author uses to basically present pretty convincing evidence that we are not alone...!! However, after a while, the interviews seem the same and I got pretty bored by the middle. I didn't exactly finish the book! :{
Mike
gripping accounts of late night abductions as recited by those under hypnosis. unnerving in a way only a non-fiction book can be, mack spares us of any agendas and tells us the extent of his research. those with an open mind and interest in the subject will enjoy this immensely.
Rachel Pieters
This book took me 6 months to read, and it was completely worth it. The reason it took so long is that I wanted to fully absorb everything John Mack put into it, and there is a lot of information, and a lot of intellectual musings (and some jargon) to really dive into, and that took some time to read, understand, and sort.

It's unfortunate that he died in a car accident in the 90s as he was an award winning psychiatrist, and his research in the field of abductions was unparalleled, especially bec
Megan
The first thought after finishing the last sentence was, "Thank god that is finished!". In all honesty, if I could it would be a 2.5, the .5 coming from the last chapter in which Dr. Mack recovers by adding some sanity to the book. I expected this book to be more critical than what it was, especially for a Harvard professor.
The book is compromised of mostly abduction stories and for me 13 was too many. My two qualms about the book were that Mack used hypnotic regression and his insistance on t
Susan
Apr 24, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in psychology of psychosis and speculative fiction
This is not a fictional book. It is a collection of stories from the files of a psychiatrist who has specialized in working with those who claim they have been abducted by aliens.

They are fascinating stories. What is most fascinating is that their stories are so similar, though how they "interpret" their experiences are dissimilar.

As a psychiatrist, John Mack feels that such people need to be treated carefully, not because they are dangerous people, but because they need to be able to tell their
Adam  McPhee
I used to have an intense fear of aliens as a kid. The Grey aliens scared the shit out of me. I was obsessed with them. I can't say I believe in them as a thing that exists, but this book brought the fear out in me. Reminded me of being a kid and having nightmares about aliens walking around my room examining things as I slept, with Hitler crouching in the window and holding a knife between his teeth.
Barrett  Dylan Brown
Aug 30, 2008 Barrett Dylan Brown rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alien Enthusiast, Doctors, Tight-Assed Academics
Amazing and utterly astonishing. John Mack is a Harvard Psychiatrist and winner of the Pullitzer prize. This book was nothing like anyone could ever expect it to be like. It has completely changed my conceptions about what alien abductions could possibly be about while at the same time utterly validating the fact that they occur, respectible main-stream acadamia is aware of this, and still people pretend they aren't. Fucking mind-blowing. Still, the guy is a real Psychiatrist so the book gets pe ...more
Wendy Wax
Amazing book about aliens written by Pulitzer Prize winner and professor of psychiatry at the Harvard Medical School's Cambridge Hospital, John E. Mack, MD. Before his death in 2004, Mack investigated 76 UFO abduction cases and summarizes 13 of them, also offering his scholarly comments and controversial conclusions.
Angela
A fascinating book. I have no idea if alien abduction exists, but from a purely psychological point of view, the book is thought-provoking and strangely spiritual. And also truly scary. I've read it several times and keep coming back for more.
Rowan
Aug 11, 2008 Rowan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
The writing isn't particularly engaging, but for a book that seems on the surface (the cover and title, at least) to be the worst kind of popular tripe, it's quite intelligent and evenhanded in its presentation of information.
Katy
I absolutely loved this book. It looked at alien encounters through a more spiritual and psychological perspective rather than trying to prove what's real and what's not real.
Cynmo
Another scholar of UFO phenomena, moved into amateur hypnotic regressions to collect (plant?) evidence from potential abductees.
Ron Lubovich
Fascinating case history of a phenomena fully understood by no one.
Cristie Li
Cristie Li marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Nora Guzman
Nora Guzman marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • Intruders
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • The Secret School: Preparation for Contact
  • Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind
  • Messages: The World's Most Documented Extraterrestrial Contact Story
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals
  • Gods of Eden
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Day After Roswell
  • Brainwash: The Secret History of Mind Control
  • Passport to Magonia: On UFOs, Folklore, and Parallel Worlds
  • Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • Keepers of the Garden
  • Odyssey of the Gods: The Alien History of Ancient Greece
A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T.E. Lawrence Passport to the Cosmos: Human Transformation and Alien Encounters Vivienne: The Life and Suicide of an Adolescent Girl UFO Abduction Phenomenon The Alchemy of Survival: One Woman's Journey (Radcliffe Biography)