Start by marking “Arthur's April Fool” as Want to Read:
Arthur's April Fool

Arthur's April Fool (Arthur Adventure Series)

This is a read along and fun filled package. Millions of fans agree: Arthur's hilarious adventures speak right to the heart of children everywhere.
Published (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's April Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's April Fool

Jamal Scott
Sep 07, 2014 Jamal Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion I thought this book had a good story line. The illustrations were nice and went well with the story. There's a little description of the book when you open the book on the left side and at the end of the book there's a description of the author. On the back of the book there's pictures of of other Arthur books that you'd like to read if you're into Arthur. The text in the book is bolded black except for one page because it's a dark page so the text is white and on every page the te ...more
Apr 19, 2014 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As we get into the 1980s, Marc Brown continues to find his voice with his Arthur series (launched in the previous decade, the disco era of the 1970s). Set around April Fool's Day, Arthur meets the resident bully, Binky Barnes, who threatens to pound him into paste. What will Arthur do? He comes up with a creative way to deal with Binky that doesn't involve getting physical.

Many of the early Arthur books are being judged poorly by people used to the PBS animated series launched in 1996. Many also
“Arthur’s April Fool” is another one of Marc Brown’s earlier “Arthur” books and this time, Arthur has his hands full when he has to deal with the school bully, Binky Barnes during the April fool’s Day assembly. “Arthur’s April fool” is a clever story about how to handle with bullies in a nonviolent way.

Marc Brown has done it again with both the illustrations and the story of everyone’s lovable aardvark. Marc Brown once again makes the characters have animal heads and human bodies, making the ani
Feb 10, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I don't think I ever read the Arthur books much; however, I did not think this one was bad at all. This one actually addresses a couple of issues, such as stage fright and how to overcome it. It also addresses bullying. My only concern is that in regards to the bullying, Arthur did not go to an adult to get help; instead he seemed to get back at the bully. This I feel could send students the wrong message on how to deal with a bully.
Mar 08, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Binky Barnes is one mean guy. I like how the crew really stuck together in this one. It's interesting how in one scene in the book, a teacher witnesses bullying from behind a curtain during a talent show rehearsal, yet does absolutely nothing about it. Strange. I wonder if Marc Brown is saying something with that vignette. Not a bad little read. Some themes make this book more age appropriate for a child between the ages of 6 - 8.
Tracy Poff
The seventh Arthur book. Another holiday themed book, and we're not done with those yet. Arthur must deal with a bully while preparing for the April Fool's assembly. He's very nervous, but in the end, he manages to play a trick or two on the bully. It's unfortunate that none of the adults around Arthur, including those aware of the bullying, do anything to help, but I expect that's more truth in fiction than anything. Rather average book.
Hannah Edwards
Sep 05, 2012 Hannah Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur’s April Fool by Marc Brown is based off the television series Arthur. I would recommend this book for ages for to five depending on reading level and comprehension. I read these books when I was four because I loved the television show. This book in particular is about April Fools Day and what Arthur went through preparing for his magic show act while he was scared that Binky Barnes was going to pulverize him. After worrying and feeling sick to his stomach Arthur ends up playing a trick o ...more
Rosa Cline
This is one of the original Arthur the Aardvark books, so the illustrations are a little different from that of the television show and the later books. Arthur is scared of the school bully, Binky. But with the help of his friends and a magic show Arthur shows the bully that being a bully isn't all its cracked up to be!
Karen Dransfield
Arthur's school are performing a show and Arthur is going to do a magic show. But he's upset due to a bully. Read about how Arthur eventually shows the bully who is the master of April Fool jokes.
Mar 16, 2010 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Arthrur's April Fool is one of the many Arthur books that children love. This particular book is when Arthur presents April Fool's jokes at the assembly at school. Arthur is afraid of the bully, Binky Barnes, who is a lot bigger than Arthur is. In the end, Arthur plays a trick on Binky.

Reading Level: 2nd- 5th grade

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: April Fools

Use: Independent Reading, Read Aloud

Social Issues: Bullying

Literary Terms: This story portrays a man vs. man conflict. This conflict is between Ar
Cute book that has Arthur facing a bully as he tries to prepare for his magic act for the April Fool Assembly at school.
Melenia Gibson
Apr 05, 2016 Melenia Gibson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't care for the story line of this book.
Dec 03, 2007 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
Shelves: picture-books
I liked this Arthur story because I think it addresses an important issue. It is about Arthur's preparation for the April Fool's Day Talent Show and how he deals with a bully. Kids love Arthur books and I think they will all relate to Arthur in this story because they can all remember being bullied or bullying someone at some point in their life. It would be a good book to read during a bullying unit or if you were having multiple student conflicts within your classroom.
Mar 26, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Our girls enjoy the Arthur series of books and this one is good for discussing the topic of bullies, in addition to the April Fool's Day theme. We borrowed the book because it was close to 1 April, and it's an entertaining story. This version of the book came with an audiocassette, with an audio narration of the story.
Oct 14, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids dealing with bullying, that can think critically
Arthur is resourceful and figures out how to deal with a bully on his own. There would be a lot of critics of this story today...but I think it is great. Kids should take care of problems the best they can before going to adults. Arthur had great ideas and used them to take care of the problem.
Noel Echols
Arthur is being bullied in school and asks for help about handling it. He gets nervous and scared when the bully is around. He deals with the bully on April Fools day by doing magic tricks.

This book teaches students correct behaviors and also how to deal with bullying in a non-violent way.
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
This book is about the classic character Arthur being picked on by Binky Barnes. Arthur has to try to get through his performance at the April Fool's assembly. Arthur stands up for himself in a peaceful and funny way. This book can be used to talk about bullies.
Jan 11, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good.
When Binky Barnes tries to embarrass Arthur, he decides to get him back. However, it's not until Binky gets home that he realizes a trick was played on him. This is a great book to use when talking about bullying and of course on April Fool's Day.
Megan Rowland
Jan 30, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur
Arthur was getting bullied, and did something about it without using harsh words or violence. This is a good book to read on April Fools Day. It can be used to expand vocabulary such as the word pulverized.
Dec 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just want to say that I can't believe Arthur is afraid of a guy called Binky. That's like the most non - tough name ever. This makes me look at Arthur as somewhat of a coward.
Dec 03, 2007 Alida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3-5
Shelves: picturebook
I this Arthur book, he participates in the school talent show. You could incorporate this book with the issue of bullying. I would use this book for character and bullying.
Jan 29, 2010 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I did not really like this book, I saw no point to it and it wasn't even funny. Also the illustrations were horrible, I guess it was the first version of Arthur.
Aug 12, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
good early reader, using text to relate to the television show many of the stories hae been repeated in the show.
Whitney Zollman
Dec 12, 2012 Whitney Zollman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Very cute book! The children will love it, and I plan to read it around April Fool's day!!!
this book is very funny,i recomend this book to people that have a sense of humor

Vivian Clarke
Arthur was being bullied. It would be a good book to read to a class on April fools
Apr 09, 2008 Christa♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked arthur books, my fav character was buster.
Oct 06, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: we love Arthur books!
  • The Mother's Day Mice
  • Franklin In The Dark
  • Clifford and the Grouchy Neighbors
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo! Barnyard Hullabaloo
  • My Tooth Is About to Fall Out (Hello Reader! Level 1)
  • Moo Hoo
  • Fox and His Friends
  • Every Autumn Comes the Bear
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Angelina and Alice
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • Duck at the Door
  • George the Drummer Boy
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
  • And Here's to You!
  • Tough Boris
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)