Start by marking “Exultant (Destiny's Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
Exultant (Destiny's Children, #2)

Exultant (Destiny's Children #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,050 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When it comes to cutting-edge science fiction, Stephen Baxter is in a league of his own. His mastery of hard science, his fearlessly speculative imagination, and his ability to combine grand philosophical questions with tales of rousing adventure make him essential reading for anyone concerned with the future of humankind. Now, in Exultant, Baxter takes us to a distant fut ...more
Published October 25th 2005 by Del Rey Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Exultant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exultant

Daniel Roy
I would definitely call Stephen Baxter's Exultant an interesting book, but I would be hard-pressed to recommend it to anyone. It has some very exciting SF concepts, but they are buried in a plot that makes so litle sense and dialog that will make you cringe.

Baxter is a man of ideas, but it seems he is too busy pondering grand concepts to put them in the proper context of a good story. There are truly mind-boggling concepts; even too many, it seems, because some have barely a page or two of devel
Betsey
There was a lot of really interesting stuff in this book! I don't understand all the reviews that say it doesn't tie into the first book of the series, Coalescent. It totally does! Lots of ways. I like the humans as insects analogies, all over the place. And the different types of social insects. The dark matter theorizing, and the idea of the monads was pretty cool. I also thought that Baxter really pulled out of his mold in this book. It feels much fresher and alive than the Manifold series, f ...more
Chrissy
My husband got this as part of a white elephant gift and the only reason I read it was because I was snowed in from work and bored. I was happily surprised! I liked how he handled the complications and paradoxes of time travel as well as the emotions, struggles, growth of the characters. Good book all around.
Roger Bailey
This is hard science fiction right on the cutting edge of physics, cosmogeny and cosmology just like I like it. The plot concerns an interstellar war with an unfathomable species and presents some interesting twists and turns because both sides can accomplish time travel and thereby can receive actionable information from the future. Just give some thought to how that would effect strategy and tactics. To me, though, the most interesting premise of the book is what is actually something of a sub ...more
Kevin
Time travel paradox bifurcate the hero's journey.
Baxter has a head full of great concepts, and not all seem to make it to the page intact. The war between human and the mysterious Xeelee introduces a lot of wild concepts (most familiar among them the idea of war as Malthusian population control), but when we meet the bureaucrats on Earth who command the war effort these ideas teeter on the brink of clumsy satire; when the younger Pirius is granted an audience with one such bureaucrat, the man be
Ian
This is the second book of the Destiny’s Children trilogy, and I quite enjoyed the first, Coalescent (see here), so I was expecting to enjoy this one too. But… oh dear. The earlier book had two main narratives, one set in the present day and the other in Ancient Britain. Exultant is set wholly in the distant future, when humanity is at war with the Xeelee, and has been for over a thousand years. A pair of teen soldiers become involved in a series of attempts to strike a final blow against the Xe ...more
Michael
Mar 15, 2012 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Hard SF
This was definitely an interesting read, especially me being someone who is not only a science fiction fan but also a quantum physics fan. This books utilizes many current theories of quantum physics, and even builds a few of its own, and paints a universe more colorful and full of diversity than I had ever imagined.

The story is long, so if you're looking for an action-packed experience, this isn't for you. The story seems unnecessarily convoluted, and drags on in many cases, leaving the reader
Tim
Again, I'd really like to give this book 3.5 stars. Probably the most readable of the loosely connected trilogy that includes Coalescent and Transcendent, but the least provocative in terms of ideas. There is still great stuff in here. Love the "silver ghosts."

What I like about Baxter is that he's not repeating tired cliches about a science fiction future. He's doing fresh stuff.

The only author I can compare him to in the scope of his future historical vision is Olaf Stapledon though perhaps Art
Richard
This book is very different from the previous book. I enjoyed it a lot more. There was more flow to the story. There were times when it got kind of bogged down just for the sake of being bogged down I believe.

I liked the fact that he talked about the coalescent in this book, but it wasn't really in the forefront, unless you talk about the military and the way they used kids for fighting.

There was a lot of good ideas in the book and unfortunately, he didn't really go into too much detail. The ali
Peter Walton-Jones
Exultant is the 2nd in the 4 part "Destiny's Children" series. I found it superior to the story told in part 1. Baxter does not write what I would call classic sci-fi. He writes like the good and capable story teller that he is; creating wide-sweeping and complex scenarios that generally sustain a readers' attention. This story is set far, far in the future; in the 3rd expansion of human-kind into the universe. There is much sort of technical detail in this story that doesn't really work for me, ...more
Casey Robinson
I just cannot read the first book in any Stephen Baxter series first. I always always always start with a non-first.

Oh well at least I didn't start with the last one this time, like I did with the Xeelee sequence.
Daniel Hamad
As with the first book, he goes a little crazy in the end, but overall, a good book.
Paul Williams
Amazing depth of imagination about the different stages of evolution of the universe - and life. I think Baxter needs to stick to this writing style, unlike the books before and after it in this series.

It's connection to other books in this series, and the greater Xeelee cycle, is quite baffling. Check some chronologies before you read, unless you want to read the conclusion of the Xeelee conflict before it starts!
iain meek
Yet again, Baxter spins a luscious yarn. Full of fascinating references to various theories in science- stretched to their full consequences? Very lively. Lots of group sex- how bizarre (on this planet). Reminds me of Biggles.

My thanks to the City of London lending library service.
Rebecca
Very hard-going sci-fi, but brilliant in its storytelling! After finishing this book, I was eager to know more - but also sadly knew that other space-drama novels would be forever ruined by their pale sahdes of comparision. My favourite book in the 'Destiny's Children' series.
grundoon
3.5 Book 2 of the trilogy shifts to a distant point in human evolution, and a pretty ugly one at that. Much harder SF this time around... some interesting concepts, but not all as deftly handled (or well integrated) as I'd have liked. I'll stick around for #3.
Bob(by)
Book about some crazy interstellar war where people die by the billions every year. I'm not sure what exactly it has to do with the other two books in the series. The ties are tenuous at best, although a coalescence does make an appearance.
Gwendolyn
Stephen Baxter definately has a few points he is trying to make about the emergence of self-sustaining organizaions. A bit over my head with the scientific jargon and theory of the universe's creation, but a good read nonetheless.
Tyler Volz
This is one of my favorite novels. I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, high concept science fiction, space battles, and moral conundrums. This book isn't lacking in any of those area. I think it's Baxter's best Xeelee book by far.
Jaime
A mind-bending widescreen hyper-tech space war story that immediately kicked off thoughts of Guy Gibson and 617 Squadron - and sure enough, in an interview, Baxter said that he indeed had the Dambusters in mind as he was writing it!
Tommy
Solid SF with a hard edge. If you like classic SF but with an intelligent rendering of big ideas then this is for you. Also part of the Destiny's children sequence, but stands on its own as well. James McKee would like this!
Alexander Brazhnikov
I lked the story of rats that left the Earth with people on the spaceship. To survive rats had to be liked by people, so rats learned to sing. And generations of people that never heard birds' singing got to love rats' songs....
James Hamilton
A good read by an excellent author; with lots of mind bending science and a slightly disconcerting moment when I realised I was reading the Dam Busters. I look forward to reading the third part of Destiny's Children.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Exciting adventure during the human war against the Xeelee. Pilots Pirius Red and Blue travel in time, fight from the surface of the Rock and a close up of the Xeelee Nightfighter are interesting parts of the storyline.
Scott
Not a direct tie to the Coalescent book in the series. Was a little slow at times, but overall an interesting story that kept my interest. Introduced some interesting cultural and science concepts.
Matt Bearne
Great book with Baxter's usual great, universe spanning, ideas. I feel it dragged in the middle and I lost interest for a while, but that could have been some outside factors in my part.
Philip Chaston
Enjoying a spate of Baxter right now. A whole civilisation based on child soldiers; a new hell. And an interesting spin on cosmology: all the vital turns are caused by life.
Ron Lubovich
Interesting as a sequel to Coalescent, but I found the idea of what the hives grew into to be a bit morbid considering their origin in the first novel.
Colleen
Oct 15, 2012 Colleen marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned-and-read
Hard-pressed to finish it. Disappointed, as I’m a big Baxter fan, but I just can’t seem to care about this story line anymore.
  • Sunstorm (A Time Odyssey, #2)
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Deepsix (The Academy, #2)
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Venus
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...
Manifold: Time (Manifold, #1) The Time Ships Manifold: Space Flood (Flood, #1) Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)

“The past is a distraction, a source of envy, enmity, bitterness. Only the present matters, for only in the present can we shape the future.

Cut loose the past; it is dead weight.
Let the Extirpation continue. Let it never end.”
6 likes