Start by marking “Exposed” as Want to Read:
Exposed

Exposed (Maggie O'Dell #6)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  3,283 ratings  ·  167 reviews
Veteran FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Cunningham believed the threat targeted Quantico. It targeted them.

A deadly virus—virtually undetectable until it causes death from a million internal cuts. The victims appear random, but Maggie wonders if vengeance isn't the guiding hand.

An aficionado of contemporary killers, using bits and pieces from th
Published August 25th 2009 by Mira (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Exposed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exposed

Alex Kava has written a number of thriller novels. Exposed is the sixth book in Kava's FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell series.

In this sixth installment of the Maggie O'Dell series, FBI expert-profiler Maggie is tracking down a killer who indirectly murders others using a strain of the Ebola virus. Maggie's latest case is extraordinary because she tracks the killer while being confined in a private lock-down cell - after already having been exposed to the virus.

Exposed is quick, fast-paced, and unques
Elvan
This may be my favourite Maggie O'Dell of the series. I enjoyed the fast pace of this well researched novel. She keeps the reader guessing and once again she threw enough bad guys in the air that I was not sure who the real psycho was until the last few chapters.
I was happy to see O'Dell and Tully get the chance to use their profiler skills to solve the mystery, even if that resolution comes a bit late. Too often these two key characters are reacting to events around them instead of acting on wh
Bigd_041555
A very scary subject matter makes up this book - quite intense the whole way through, a good puzzle to solve. This book is based on true events but fictionalized - and Alex Kava has done a great job once again delivering the goods.

I don't want to post any spoilers - there are twists and turns, who do you trust, who don't you trust and not everyone makes it out alive (which is something you can see coming).

"Elvan", the subject matter is right up your alley :)

2 thumbs up and 5 stars - onto "Black
Lynda
Maggie O’Dell FBI profiler, R.J. Tully her partner and Cunningham Assistant Director of Behavioral Science Unit tackled a deadly case – a diabolical release of a virus produced from sick Macaque monkeys from Uganda. A cryptic letter scrambled Maggie and Cunningham to a suspicious location landing them in the middle of a containment mess. While isolated in “the Slammer” Maggie with the help of others from the outside search for clues in a race against time and public exposure.

“Exposed” had an ea
Exposed by Alex Kava was the book chosen by my mystery book club for February. It was a psychological thriller about a villain exposing seemingly random, innocent people to the Ebola virus. Scary to even think about. It was a little difficult at first since it jumped between lots of various characters - Maggie O'Dell (the series' main character), her partner Tully, other government employees, and various others that were either related to the main characters or possibly victims. Since Maggie is ...more
Debbie J
Exposed has a dramatic TV episode style with short chapters and quick changes in location and character focus. Its mystery is well-constructed with clues introduced at an even clip as the story progresses.

Author Alex Kava employs a scary premise that everyone (in the “first world”, anyway) could relate to and the mystery’s resolution makes sense in light of the hints she provides.

My primary criticism would be perhaps the excessive number of characters and locations. It was difficult for me to ke
Jenni
When O'Dell and Cunningham receive a coded threat, they expect a bomb has been planted in a suburban neighbourhood. The truth however is even more frightening when they find a seriously ill woman and are exposed to a deadly virus nicknamed 'the slate wiper'. O'Dell finds herself locked away in isolation whilst a calculating killer goes about setting off an epidemic. Will O'Dell figure out who the killer is in time to prevent a crisis?

Exposed had the potential to be an outstanding example of a m
Kris
3.5 STARS

"Agent Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Cunningham believe they're responding to a threat made at Quantico. Instead they walk into a trap. Before they realize it, they've both been exposed to a killer who can strike at anyone, at any time, and no one can predict who might be next.until it's too late.

The killer's tactics suggest he's an aficionado of criminal minds. He uses bits and pieces from those he admires: a phrase from the Beltway Snipers, a clue from the Unabomber, a delivery
Brandon Collinsworth
Fucking horrible.

The story was interesting at first, I love the setup for action at the begining. This was going to be my first experience with the Maggie O'dell book series. My library has lots of this series and it sounded it interesting. I got two books and this was going to be my safe book, the one I just knew would be light and easy fun.

There is one problem with this book, but it is hugely insurmountable and makes this a horrible mess and kills all enjoyment of the book. There are too many
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars Maggie O'Dell enters the Hot Zone in this new thriller by Alex Kava..., January 10, 2009

This review is from: Exposed (Maggie O'Dell) (Hardcover)

This was an entertaining biomedical thriller. It had enough science to inform a reader about the resultant disease and the ease of transmission of a lethal virus (Ebola Zaire) and an adequate amount of suspense to keep me guessing as to the identity and motivations of the criminal mastermind behind the devious plot. I find books about
Lauren
4 Stars

Synopsis:
An act of terrorism or a personal vendetta…
On a seemingly routine morning at the FBI behavioral sciences unit, agent Maggie O’Dell and her superior find a threat hidden in the doughnut box and are subsequently exposed to a deadly virus. Is this the work of a fanatic or someone with a grudge? How many will die before Maggie and her partner uncover the truth?

Review:
A thrilling premise delivered with style. A little different from the other books in the series, Exposure is mo
Cupcakencorset
Book 6 in the Maggie O'Dell series focuses on a deadly biological attack against several seemingly-unconnected people. Caught in the attack, along with her boss, Maggie and her partner RJ Tully have to figure out the attacker's game before more people die. The stakes go up, the tension mounts, and Tully saves the day. (Thank goodness.)

OK, so if it sounds like I'm giving the story short shrift, it's probably because I think Kava gave the book's topic, with all its terrifying implications, the sam
Tome

Exposed had the potential to be an outstanding example of a m
Glenda Bixler
A Maggie O’Dell Novel
By Alex Kava
MIRABooks
ISBN: 9780778325574
332 Pages

It isn’t so much the actual acts of terrorism that makes Exposed by Alex Kava so chilling! It was, more, that the story setting was so real and vivid! A game of chance used to cover the personal actions of one man to murder those he hated! Innocent victims!

It was a routine morning and Maggie and other FBI agents were gathered to enjoy the doughnuts that were sitting waiting to be consumed. Maggie O’Dell was about to ta
Al

An aficionado of contemporary killers, using bits and pieces from their crimes—the Beltway Sniper's phrases, the Unabomber's clues, the Anthrax Killer's delivery.

Maggie knows dangerous minds, but she

Ana T.
I have been following Kava’s Maggie O’Dell series from book 1 and I am happy to say that this sixth installment is one of the best I read.

Maggie and her boss receive an anonymous letter that leads them to a house where a woman if dying with a contagious disease. They all have to be quarantined and soon the virus threatening them has a name: Ebola Zaire. One of the deadliest viruses around.

Not only that but also several people across the country are receiving money packages infected with the viru
Kristin
Were it not for my mother, I never would have read this book. Earlier tonight, I sold the book on Half.com, and as the 2 of us searched through the 500+ books I have listed, to find this one, she mentioned that it was the prequel to 'Black Friday', which I read earlier this year, but that it dealt with the spread of a virus, not blowing up a mall.
Granted, I wasn't as impressed with 'Black Friday' as I thought I would be, but I was willing to give the author another shot, especially since the boo
Kristi
I've been a bit disappointed with some of the "middle" books in the Maggie O'Dell series, but I thought this one was a darned good read. I think I managed to put it down -- briefly! -- about twice after I started it this morning.

Maggie is sidelined from much of the action in this book, but her frustrated and frightened isolation in a high-tech quarantine facility makes the book very suspenseful. The lives of those affected by the biological weapon are discussed, making the situation seem very re
Cláudia
I took a quick look at the other reviews, and most of them think this is one of the best books on the Maggie O'Dell series, but I'm afraid I don't quite agree with them.
The theme is quite interesting and it's a nice "change of scenery" to have the main character locked in a room for the most part of the book, but then it all seems a bit disoriented, I didn't find the book fast paced, and even though the mystery is there - we want to know who the bad guy is, and if more people will get infected a
Scott Parsons
This is the first novel by Alex Kava that I have read. it is the sixth in the Maggie O'Dell mystery series. The plot revolves around an attempt by an expert in viruses to wipe out a lot of people who have angered him over the years. His chosen method is the Ebola Zaire virus which he sends in Ziplock bags in envelopes to his targets. As the story opens a bunch of FBI folks at Quantico receive a box of doughnuts with a message warning of an impending disaster at a specific address. When they arri ...more
Ed
#6 in the Maggie O'Dell series.

Maggie O'Dell and her boss Cunningham are exposed to Ebola virus when they respond to an anonymous warning of a crash. The killer is executing crimes that have ties to crimes of the past - the Tylenol killings, the Beltway murders. The crimes may have a connection with her partner, Tully.
Tamara
When my book club selected this book to read for our monthly book, I was very excited because it was an author I had not heard of. After reading the book, I just want more. What an interesting book, the kind that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Written in a way that is very believable and quite scary given the topic. I am definitely adding more of this author to my to be read list.
Lisa Eirene
Fast read, read it in one day. I love stories like this--biological terror/deadly viruses. This was a good book but it could have been a little better. The ending felt rushed and there were some loose ends not tied up. Maybe they are in another book??
Lauren
I've been meaning to read this since it came out in paperback, the first chapter was in the paperback editions of the last three books in the series. So, was it worth the wait? In short, yes. Maggie O'Dell is more believable than many other female leads, she's irritable and temperamental. She uses her background in medicine, not to solve the case, but to try to figure out what is wrong with her and as a side effect drives herself up the wall repeatedly. The characters are carefully built up. The ...more
Brian Steele
I don't know why certain mystery novels catch my eye. I must say, I really like the cover art. In any case, I tend to gravitate towards FBI Agents over cops, and always over Private Investigators. And with the tale surrounding some type of deadly plague, we readers were bound for some messy deaths.

The book proved to be a quick read, fun but somewhat forgettable. I think this is what they call a "Beach Read." Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing - lots of twists and turns, interesting enough c
Carol
I really, really like Alex Kava's books. With the current Ebola situation, this one is especially interesting. The books are fast-paced and interesting, but without any real moral dilemmas I can't give it more than 3 stars.
S.D.
Maggie O’Dell is an FBI profiler caught up in a home-grown terrorist attack. While following a lead placed in a box of donuts, Maggie and her supervisor are exposed to an unknown virus and quarantined. Although she has yet to feel any symptoms, one of the victim’s dies. Maggie is able to follow leads through a laptop she is given and notices similarities to the names of the victims and the names from previous unsolved cases. She realizes someone is playing with the FBI and it is someone close to ...more
Brenda
I think everyone remembers the Anthrax scare in 2001, the fear, well this book takes that concept, but instead of Anthrax, we're talking Ebola. It makes it personal when Maggie and Cunningham are exposed to it and end up in quarantine, separated from each other and from their friends and family. I could not put this book down for very long, it kept nagging at me until I finished it. Wow!
Amy
Fantastic! This thriller keeps you guessing till the end!

It all starts with a box of donuts, series character, Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Cunningham AND a note:

CALL ME GOD
THERE WILL BE A CRASH TODAY.
At 13949 ELK GROVE
10:00 A.M.
I'D HATE FOR YOU TO MISS IT.
I AM GOD.
P.S. YOUR CHILDREN ARE NOT SAFE ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME.

From here, these two characters believe they are responding to a crash (the kind relating to a bomb). Instead, they walk into a trap. Before they realize it, they've both be
Marzena
This is my second favourite Maggie O'Dell book! It was good. It was really good and I waited until the very last pages to solve the mystery. Yep, def. enjoyable.
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • Cutting Edge: A Novel of Suspense (FBI Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
  • Vengeance Road (Jack Gannon #1)
Alex Kava is the New York Times bestselling author of thirteen novels, eleven of them in the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was chosen for the 2006 One Book One Nebraska and her political thriller, Whitewash, made January Magazine’s best thriller of the year list for 2007. Published in over twenty-five countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestse ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Slices of Night
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1) A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5) Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2) The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3) At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)