Start by marking “Exposed” as Want to Read:
Exposed

Exposed (Maggie O'Dell #6)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,433 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Veteran FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Cunningham believed the threat targeted Quantico. It targeted them.

A deadly virus—virtually undetectable until it causes death from a million internal cuts. The victims appear random, but Maggie wonders if vengeance isn't the guiding hand.

An aficionado of contemporary killers, using bits and pieces from their crimes
Published August 25th 2009 by Mira (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Exposed, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jonetta
The Behavioral Science Unit (BSU) receives a cryptic note in a box of doughnuts that leads them to a biohazard scene. What happens next is truly chilling and represents only the beginning of terrible assaults involving a deadly virus.

This is the best story in the series to date with Maggie and Tully doing some serious profiling. We learn a lot more about Tully's history and there are a few shocking events before the end. I really liked how true life events were woven into this fictional tale, w
Phrynne
This is the sixth Maggie O'Dell novel and probably the best so far. It was a very quick, easy read and certainly held my attention all the way through.
I still dislike the author's habit of pausing in the middle of events to tell us unimportant details about her character's thoughts or past lives. However she did reduce this somewhat in this particular book.
Maggie also seems to be getting a grip on life now and managed to come up with some actual constructive detective work. I do wish she would
Marnie  Krüger
Jan 22, 2014 Marnie Krüger rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, books-i-own
This was an excellent and well researched book. Especially with the Ebola outbreak that happened just now; again! Will people ever learn?
Wendy
Aug 04, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oct-15
I really enjoyed this 6th book in the Maggie O'Dell series
Robin
Jun 10, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2016
The FBI receives a mysterious note stating that there will be a crash today. FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Kyle Cunningham hurry to a family home to find a little girl left on her own...her mother in bed, deathly ill. Maggie soon discovers that they have been exposed to a virus; Something that could kill many people if left unchecked. Put in quarantine, Maggie discovers that the perpetrator has left clues that tie to some of the FBI's biggest cases, including the Anthrax murd ...more
Lauren
4 Stars

Synopsis:
An act of terrorism or a personal vendetta…
On a seemingly routine morning at the FBI behavioral sciences unit, agent Maggie O’Dell and her superior find a threat hidden in the doughnut box and are subsequently exposed to a deadly virus. Is this the work of a fanatic or someone with a grudge? How many will die before Maggie and her partner uncover the truth?

Review:
A thrilling premise delivered with style. A little different from the other books in the series, Exposure is mo
Ana T.
I have been following Kava’s Maggie O’Dell series from book 1 and I am happy to say that this sixth installment is one of the best I read.

Maggie and her boss receive an anonymous letter that leads them to a house where a woman if dying with a contagious disease. They all have to be quarantined and soon the virus threatening them has a name: Ebola Zaire. One of the deadliest viruses around.

Not only that but also several people across the country are receiving money packages infected with the viru
Aug 22, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Kava has written a number of thriller novels. Exposed is the sixth book in Kava's FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell series.

In this sixth installment of the Maggie O'Dell series, FBI expert-profiler Maggie is tracking down a killer who indirectly murders others using a strain of the Ebola virus. Maggie's latest case is extraordinary because she tracks the killer while being confined in a private lock-down cell - after already having been exposed to the virus.

Exposed is quick, fast-paced, and unques
Darcy
I found this one interesting, mostly because of the past crimes that came into play. I was a kid when a lot of them happened, I can remember them happening and it seemed to "change" things.

Maggie's role in this one was intriguing, mostly because she was so isolated, forcing her to come to some hard realities that she was really alone. It will be interesting to see if she makes any changes in her life.

Tully was more front and center in this book by default. I liked how he worked through things.
Elvan
Dec 02, 2013 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2013
This may be my favourite Maggie O'Dell of the series. I enjoyed the fast pace of this well researched novel. She keeps the reader guessing and once again she threw enough bad guys in the air that I was not sure who the real psycho was until the last few chapters.
I was happy to see O'Dell and Tully get the chance to use their profiler skills to solve the mystery, even if that resolution comes a bit late. Too often these two key characters are reacting to events around them instead of acting on wh
Marca
Jan 17, 2010 Marca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie O’Dell an FBI agent finds herself exposed to a deadly Ebola-like virus. The virus is being spread by an evil avenger. Mags finds herself quarantined and drives herself crazy. She apparently has some medical training, and her knowledge makes her situation scarier. Her partner R.J. Tully works outside the quarantine to find the killer. Clever mystery with twists and turns that keep one guessing til near the end. Maggie was kind of annoying, but she was also locked up for most of the book. I ...more
Diane
Jul 22, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very scary subject matter makes up this book - quite intense the whole way through, a good puzzle to solve. This book is based on true events but fictionalized - and Alex Kava has done a great job once again delivering the goods.

I don't want to post any spoilers - there are twists and turns, who do you trust, who don't you trust and not everyone makes it out alive (which is something you can see coming).

"Elvan", the subject matter is right up your alley :)

2 thumbs up and 5 stars - onto "Black
Barbara ★
This one hits a little close to home with the whole Ebola scare last year. I found myself glued to my chair, flipping pages as fast as I could read them. What an exciting and scary as hell book!

I really like Maggie's new love interest and hope to see him in future installments.
Ayny
Mar 19, 2015 Ayny rated it really liked it
Good story and interesting topic, there are references in the back regarding all the research and acknowledgments. Ms. Kava really did her homework for Exposed.
Kat Dietrich
Exposed by Alex Kava is the 6th in the FBI Agent Maggie O'Dell Series.

This is one of the best, and not everyone survives.

Tully is late for the meeting....and the treats. So it is Maggie and her boss Assistant Director Cunningham who find the message in the bottom of the doughnut box. And it is Maggie and her boss who find the mother and daughter who are so sick. And it is Maggie and her boss who come into contact with a deadly virus, and end up quarantined under the watchful eyes of USAMRIID, an
Alex is The Romance Fox
4,5 stars

Maggie O'Dell is back in a chilling and terrifying story of bioterrorism in the 6th book in the series.

When Maggie and her team arrive at FBI offices in Quantico, Virginia to investigate the exposure to a deadly and unknown virus of two people, she and her boss, the FBI’s Assistant Directorate placed in quarantine when they are exposed to the virus as well.

What happens next is a nerve-jangling and frightening time for the two, as they battle to finding the culprit and a treatment to sav
Gail
Feb 04, 2017 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. Brings to light that certain things can/have happened in real life. Great characters.
Rhona Crawford
May 18, 2017 Rhona Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally stumbled on Alex Kava and I think I will investigate more of his/her writing.
Theresa Hurley
Mar 08, 2017 Theresa Hurley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Suspense was great and continued through whole story. Kept it very interesting.
Glenda Bixler
Jan 02, 2009 Glenda Bixler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Maggie O’Dell Novel
By Alex Kava
MIRABooks
ISBN: 9780778325574
332 Pages

It isn’t so much the actual acts of terrorism that makes Exposed by Alex Kava so chilling! It was, more, that the story setting was so real and vivid! A game of chance used to cover the personal actions of one man to murder those he hated! Innocent victims!

It was a routine morning and Maggie and other FBI agents were gathered to enjoy the doughnuts that were sitting waiting to be consumed. Maggie O’Dell was about to ta
Jenni
Jun 16, 2011 Jenni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When O'Dell and Cunningham receive a coded threat, they expect a bomb has been planted in a suburban neighbourhood. The truth however is even more frightening when they find a seriously ill woman and are exposed to a deadly virus nicknamed 'the slate wiper'. O'Dell finds herself locked away in isolation whilst a calculating killer goes about setting off an epidemic. Will O'Dell figure out who the killer is in time to prevent a crisis?

Exposed had the potential to be an outstanding example of a m
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it really liked it

An aficionado of contemporary killers, using bits and pieces from their crimes—the Beltway Sniper's phrases, the Unabomber's clues, the Anthrax Killer's delivery.

Maggie knows dangerous minds, but she

Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

1st my review of the book then my excited blabber about finding a great new author and new series to read....

"Exposed" is a great read about dangers of murder using chemical warfare. "Exposed" is interesting because for most of the book the main character (Maggie O'Dell) is in the hospital under quarantine and yet it does not take away from the suspense of the story line. Kava gets you hooked on the main characters of this book and you want to know more about them- luckily she has a whole series
Owlsinger
Feb 17, 2017 Owlsinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting to like this series more & more. Tully's backstory and relationships are being brought forward more - and I like that. Back a step, Gwen; RJ and Emma, a bit closer please: good. I found myself, hoping, after the author kept hinting, that Ben Platt would move in and nudge Nick's orbit out a bit further. Sorry about the boss, but otherwise good all around.
Brandon Collinsworth
Fucking horrible.

The story was interesting at first, I love the setup for action at the begining. This was going to be my first experience with the Maggie O'dell book series. My library has lots of this series and it sounded it interesting. I got two books and this was going to be my safe book, the one I just knew would be light and easy fun.

There is one problem with this book, but it is hugely insurmountable and makes this a horrible mess and kills all enjoyment of the book. There are too many
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 stars Maggie O'Dell enters the Hot Zone in this new thriller by Alex Kava..., January 10, 2009

This review is from: Exposed (Maggie O'Dell) (Hardcover)

This was an entertaining biomedical thriller. It had enough science to inform a reader about the resultant disease and the ease of transmission of a lethal virus (Ebola Zaire) and an adequate amount of suspense to keep me guessing as to the identity and motivations of the criminal mastermind behind the devious plot. I find books about
Cupcakencorset
Jun 29, 2011 Cupcakencorset rated it liked it
Book 6 in the Maggie O'Dell series focuses on a deadly biological attack against several seemingly-unconnected people. Caught in the attack, along with her boss, Maggie and her partner RJ Tully have to figure out the attacker's game before more people die. The stakes go up, the tension mounts, and Tully saves the day. (Thank goodness.)

OK, so if it sounds like I'm giving the story short shrift, it's probably because I think Kava gave the book's topic, with all its terrifying implications, the sam
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Agent Maggie O'Dell and Assistant Director Cunningham believe they're responding to a threat made at Quantico. Instead they walk into a trap. Before they realize it, they've both been exposed to a killer who can strike at anyone, at any time, and no one can predict who might be next.until it's too late.

The killer's tactics suggest he's an aficionado of criminal minds. He uses bits and pieces from those he admires: a phrase from the Beltway Snipers, a clue from the Unabomber, a delivery
Kristin
May 31, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were it not for my mother, I never would have read this book. Earlier tonight, I sold the book on Half.com, and as the 2 of us searched through the 500+ books I have listed, to find this one, she mentioned that it was the prequel to 'Black Friday', which I read earlier this year, but that it dealt with the spread of a virus, not blowing up a mall.
Granted, I wasn't as impressed with 'Black Friday' as I thought I would be, but I was willing to give the author another shot, especially since the boo
Lynda
May 09, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Maggie O’Dell FBI profiler, R.J. Tully her partner and Cunningham Assistant Director of Behavioral Science Unit tackled a deadly case – a diabolical release of a virus produced from sick Macaque monkeys from Uganda. A cryptic letter scrambled Maggie and Cunningham to a suspicious location landing them in the middle of a containment mess. While isolated in “the Slammer” Maggie with the help of others from the outside search for clues in a race against time and public exposure.

“Exposed” had an ea
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 6 9 Jun 29, 2016 04:36AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 8 Jun 29, 2016 04:32AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 9 8 Jun 29, 2016 04:30AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 7 8 Jun 29, 2016 04:29AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question R 7 9 Jun 29, 2016 04:26AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 6 7 Jun 29, 2016 04:20AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 7 Jun 29, 2016 04:02AM
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)
  • Cold Hearted (Griffin Powell, #9)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones, #3)
  • The Girls He Adored
  • Sinnerman (Sloane Monroe, #2)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)

“You always look for logic even within the madness?” He could feel her eyes on him now, studying him to see if he was serious. He kept his eyes on the road ahead. “It’d be convenient to believe people who commit these types of crimes are simply mad. That there’s a neuron or two misfiring inside their brains.” “If they’re not mad, not crazy, what then?” She hesitated but only briefly before she calmly and quietly said, “They’re evil.” 0 likes