Start by marking “Pink Slips and Parting Gifts” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
By the time Easton Company CEO Jeffrey Elkins entices a major competitor to buy his Fortune 500 company, the corporate jet is waiting and his parachute is platinum. In thirteen weeks the deal of a lifetime transforms a handful of quirky executives into undeserving multimillionaires, propels a workforce into unemployment and dispatches unsuspecting retirees into poverty. In ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Pink Slips and Parting Gifts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Slips and Parting Gifts

Darth
Jul 04, 2013 Darth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and Dan Brown's Inferno simultaneously. This is the one I couldn't stop reading. I really liked the way this story was told through different perspectives. I would like to find out if karma took care of the despicable CEO.
Bumbershootbears
Jul 19, 2012 Bumbershootbears rated it liked it
having been through it the story was sadly realistic. brought back a lot of sad memories.
Jim A
Jun 19, 2012 Jim A rated it really liked it
This is a novel about a corporate takeover in today's corporate centered world. The corporation that has been taken over was an old firm, built up by a man who had a good idea of what the moral way to run a business was about. How he treated his employees was paramount to him. Promises made to retirees regarding lifelong healthcare as thanks for their years of service. Anyone who has worked in today's corporate world knows that this is just no longer the case. That's what makes up this story.

A c
Joe Cepeda
Mar 14, 2013 Joe Cepeda rated it it was amazing
This is a work of fiction that could be taking place right now in one of the many corporations out there. The author did a great job giving voice to the many participants of a business merger or acquisition. As I was involved in two of them with very similar results to those described in this book, it made for some very interesting reading.

If you follow the current business climate and read with incredulity about the million dollar bonus to yahoo's CEO for a "stellar" six months of work you'll r
Richard
Sep 24, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book illustrating the pitfalls of corporate hubris and why the biggest company is not necessarily the best. The story of the buyout of an architectural firm by its competitor is much more absorbing than it sounds, enhanced by realistic details derived from the author's personal experiences in management consulting and mergers & acquisitions as well as fully realized characters from CEO to entry-level employees.
Dayle
May 07, 2012 Dayle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I found this book really interesting..I knew nothing about mergers/takeovers in companies and given this author's background I can only presume the basic facts were correct. AND the story kept the book moving smoothly..
Megalion
Apr 01, 2016 Megalion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an odd macro and micro series of vignettes detailing the fallouts and fall ups of a major merger. A fictional one but one that can easily be imagined as a true story.

Covers a much more in depth view of the different details and minutia that never make the newspapers or even the experience of the causalities of the merger.

I myself had a company I worked for get bought, then merged, and then in a not so common series of events, I ended up being severance paid out (thankfully though I was no e
Sheda
Mar 02, 2016 Sheda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading, albeit a little heartbreaking when you realise
that although this is a work of fiction, all the events sound completely plausible
Unfortunately today it IS all about the money and no longer about people
The author reinforces this by assuring us she knows of similar events in real life.
The truth of it is that so do we.
Mark
Mar 08, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, a fictional story of a company takeover, with a strong basis in reality. In a curiously dispassionate style the author paints word pictures of the events surrounding the takeover and the impact on employees and local people.
charles
Feb 25, 2015 charles rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read, the only problem I had was that my company was going thru a merger and the subject matter hit a little to close to home for me at times
Judy Porter
Extremely difficult to follow. A must read for big shots
Heather
Feb 19, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Very interesting and quick read. Even though it was fiction, it felt very real in light of the economic downturn the U.S. experienced. I enjoyed this book.
Leann
Feb 15, 2013 Leann added it
Gave up on this one. May try again later, but just not in the mood.
Pam Rule
Just goes to show what companies can do to their employees..... :)
Jenn Northup
Jenn Northup marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Tonica
Tonica marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Deb Skiles
Deb Skiles marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
D.L. Lang
D.L. Lang marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Thomas Brown
Thomas Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Zee marked it as to-read
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Earl Messer
Earl Messer marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
  • Olive Branches Don't Grow On Trees
  • Suddenly a Bride
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • In Their Blood
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • Plaza: An Archaeological Thriller
  • The Little Known
  • Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors: A Duck & Cover Adventure
  • Island Passage
  • The Missing Link
  • Mo Dearbadan de
  • You Had Me At Halo
  • Hearts That Survive: A Novel of the Titanic
Deb Hosey White is a management consultant and retirement coach. She has more than 30 years experience working with Fortune 1000 companies and has lived mergers and acquisitions from inside the conference rooms, cubicles and executive suites of corporate America.

Deb is the author of:
Magic Numbers - the actuary's diary
Let's Take the Kids to London
Beyond Downton Abbey (Vo
More about Deb Hosey White...