The Cougar Club

The Cougar Club

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Meet three women who aren't about to run and hide just because the world says they should be on the shelf and out of circulation.

Kat
Her life seems perfect until she loses her high-powered advertising job and catches her live-in lover in a compromising position—with his computer!

Carla
This sexy TV news anchor is in danger of being replaced by a twentysomething blond bimbo. W...more
Published January 26th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 8th 2010)

Julie Failla Earhart
Meet Kat, Elise, and Carla---the three fabulous women who star in author Susan McBride’s new series, The Cougar Club. With this new book, McBride leaps from Maggie the hard-boiled detective; Andie, the dropout debutant; and the three high school debs to ahem, women of a certain age. Closer to forty-five to be precise. McBride’s trademark style of humor and sarcasm makes the leap effortlessly, providing readers of all ages a guaranteed laugh.
When Kat loses her Manhattan advertising, she realize...more
Staci
Apr 07, 2010 Staci added it
Recommended to Staci by: Susan McBride
Shelves: 2010-reads
My Thoughts: I enjoyed every single page of this book. I'm 41 and could so relate to how each of these characters felt about their bodies, faces, careers, and lives in general. I connected immediately with Elise because I know how hard it is to keep a marriage going, having children, and still trying to find time for yourself. This book was perfect timing for me because when I look in the mirror I see a frumpy looking woman staring back at me...who is that person??? I don't feel my age, but damn...more
G
I enjoyed this book very much, especially since it was a trip down memory lane for me. (I dated a boy from Clayton, MO - a borough of St. Louis where the book takes place. I love it when a book takes me back to one of my former lives like that.) "The Cougar Club" deals with three woman friends in crisis, and yes, there are some enjoyable "cougar" moments thrown in as well.

I love a book like this that can take you out of your own world and can make you laugh. It has dark moments as well, and tou...more
Sandie
Veteran author Susan McBride has taken off in a new direction: rather than debutantes she is dealing with women over 40 who don't feel their age should be a factor with which to judge them. Their skills on the job or in life don't suddenly disappear. They still have close friendships that will endure. They still have needs and desires they want to fulfill, and they feel they are far from being too old to do so. I know this with a newfound confidence.

The three main characters in THE COUGAR CLUB -...more
Paula  Phillips
This novel is one that will definitley catch your eyes before even opening it up. The cover is a gorgeous hot pink with a Black handbag with a cute little hotpink cougar on it. This is the first step , to say that if you are a male then this book isn't for you . Once you open to the first page, the story mode is set and its wham-bam into the story. Which if you are an impatient reader like me and can't stand books that you can't get into and discard never to wander that books pages again. Then t...more
Crystal
The Cougar Club is an absolutely delightful book. I was pulled into the lives of Kat, Carla and Elise from the very first page and by the end of the book I felt like they were my friends. That's how well I felt I got to know them.

It's funny going from reading a lot of young adult novels to one about more mature women (which incidentally are only slightly older than me - and I'm feeling it since my birthday is Friday). But truly there is little difference between teenage girls and older women, m...more
Jencey/
Thank you to Susan McBride for donating this copy of The Cougar Club. This is a book worth reading.

Synopsis:

Kat, Carla, and Elise have been friends since grade school. They went their separate ways after college. These friends suddenly found themselves in their forties and wondering where life will take them next? Kat recently lost her job and moved back to St. Louis from New York. Carla is a television anchor at channel 3 in St. Louis. Is her job in jeopardy? Elise is a dermatologist and has a...more
Kari Anderson
This book came special to me from blogging buddy Megan from WriteMeg! We did a little swap with books. I sent her One Amazing Thing. And although I told her not to send me anything in return, she did and I have never been happier to receive a book in the mail. This was a very pleasant surprise and one I had near the very top of my To Be Read list.

Kat is 45-years-old, has a great job and a super hot 20 something boyfriend. That all changes in the first chapter. She uproots from her NYC home and g...more
Paige Prince
Kat’s life fell apart, so she moved back home. Good idea. Home is where your heart is, and where you can go back and lick your wounds when you’ve been kicked the crap out of. Kat’s friends and family welcome her back with open arms, she wallows in her sorrow for a bit and spurs her on to figure out what she really wants to do with her life (that I totally called by the end of chapter 1).

You go girl… However. I felt like it took forever to get to that point. Four chapters into the book, and I was...more
Nely
Three best friends, Kat, Carla and Elise, are back together in the same town after many years apart. They are now in their mid-40's and are each at a turning point in life:

Kat just recently lost her job in Manhattan because her superiors have decided younger employees are the way to go and upon finding her much younger boyfriend having some cyber fun, she has decided he's got to go too. So she packs up and heads back home to St. Louis and her two BFF's.

Carla is the town's news anchorwoman... a c...more
Jamie
I read Reading with Tequila's review of this book and I decided that I would check it out. I'm glad that I did because I really enjoyed this book a lot. It was fiction that was written in a way that addresses so many "real life" issues that women encounter in this day-n-age.

The three main characters in this book are not written like your typical cougar (predator). They just happen to be three hard working women "of a certain age" who just happen to like their men on the young side. There really...more
Juli D.
Apr 08, 2010 Juli D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves women's fic like Kathy Carmichael's Hot Flash
Recommended to Juli D. by: Jessica and Susan
Susan McBride's The Cougar Club tells the story of three friends, Kat, Carla and Elise, who have been out of touch for a while, until the wayward, NY-living Kat, catches her boyfriend with his pants down and decides, it's time to make a fresh start. And heads home to St. Louis. Carla has problems too, though she's a popular TV news anchor, her station manager/ex-husband has plans for her coveted chair. Elise, seemingly the most stable of the three women, finds out her marriage isn't as stable as...more
Meg
In Susan McBride's fast-paced The Cougar Club, we alternate seeing the world from each woman's perspective which, when done well, works great for me. I'm happy to report McBride made Elise, Kat and Carla individual women and successfully blended their unique, sometimes snarky "voices" with that of the omnipresent, all-knowing narrator. It was easy to flit back and forth between each friend as she struggled with the myriad of issues doing a number on her energy and self-confidence, though I liked...more
Monie
When Kat gets fired from her advertising job after 15 years she flees Manhattan for her home town in St. Louis. She leaves behind a much younger boyfriend who won't make a commitment and much worse, she doesn't fully trust. After a few days of feeling sorry for herself she finally gets up the courage to look up her old best friends, Carla and Elise.

Carla is the city's top rated news anchor yet her ex-husband, the station manager, is gently pushing her aside to make his much younger (and bustier)...more
Amy
Why am I not shocked that I loved this book? All I can say is that I didn't want it to end, and it went way too quickly.

I love how all three women had a bunch of similarities, for instance them all being cougars, but then on the other hand, each woman had traits that were all her own.

At the end of the book I started thinking about the end of The First Wives Club. All three women, in both the movie and this book, experienced some not so happy things in their lives, especially where men have been...more
Maria
The Cougar Club centers around three life long friends- Kat, Carla and Elise. They've just turned 45 and each of them is facing changes in their lives. Kat gets canned from her ritzy Manhattan advertising firm and simultaneously dumps her going no where relationship with a younger man. She moves back to her home town of St. Louis where she reconnects with Elise, a dermatologist, and with Carla, a prominent local TV anchorwoman. Carla is in danger of losing her job to a younger woman and Elise's...more
Danielle
Another win from First Reads! :)

Kat, Carla and Elise are all 45-year-old women who have been best friends since childhood. They're reaching middle age, and in different ways, all their lives get turned upside down. There are some funny scenes and some touching scenes, and there are also a few obvious plot points that are easy to see before they come. I was expecting it to be crass in sexuality and language, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't. I guess this is "grown-up chic...more
Stacy
This books is a fast and fun read. The women are all successful and they make 45 look pretty glamorous. They don’t need men, but they do enjoy them. I don’t know how realistic the stories of these three women are, but it was fun to be a part of their lives for a few hours.

I loved the sharp writing and I was especially drawn to the idea that you can always go home. I loved Kat’s journey back home to her family and friends after 20+ years. It’s a heartwarming thought.

there's more on my blog http:/...more
Deborah
Just read and thoroughly enjoyed this stand-alone by Susan McBride, entitle The Cougar Club. It was sassy, light and enjoyable. A quick read that centers on three best friends reunited after years apart. The main concept is, obviously, that they are ‘cougars’. But life intervenes, as usual, so just Live Real.
H
Feb 27, 2010 H added it
This was a pretty light, frothy read... The characters were likeable, and I did sympathize with them. The writing wasn't too simple, something I detest in a novel, but it wouldn't strain the brain either. It's something my mom and I could both like, so it would be a good investment to buy! Thanks goodreads!
Amy
As a 41 year old woman who has been married for 21 years, it was fun to live vicariously through Kat, Carla and Elise for a couple days. I don't see myself asking for a 'do over' in life like they had (nor do I want one) but it was fun to read about experiences so different from my own.
Kim Thompson
Really enjoyed this light, easy read! The characters were believable although as they were 10 years older than me (they were 45)I had a little bit of a hard time relating at first. Would definitely recommend!
Gary Osborn
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was a fun read and kept my attention through out. Makes me wonder where the world would be if all older women wanted younger men and older men wanted younger women.
Lisa Currier
This was a great book, not quite what I expected. The characters were well written and interesting. The story flowed along as each woman tried to figure out life in middle age.
Charlotte Gann-Parker
This book was really good, and it was funny, and very good read and hard to put down, I cant wait for the next one to come out.....
Arbkdbarb
This was a fun, fastpaced book that was just an enjoyable read. The end was a bit of a stretch for a woman of mid-40's, but it is fiction.
Doris
Fun read. The characters are funny, sensitive and enjoyable. A good book to read on vacation or to just enjoy.
Susan
Oct 10, 2009 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
My favorite book so far! I hope everyone enjoys it when it's out in late January! :-)
Andra
an entertaining book about friendship and women in their 40's
Elisamarie
a really cute book by Susan McBride set in STL.
Makes Me Wonder 1 10 Mar 20, 2010 08:53AM
  • Small Change
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • Get Lucky
  • J'adore New York
  • Life After Yes
  • The Debutante
  • Sea Escape
  • Love Under Cover (Jennifer Hunter, #2)
  • A Circle of Souls
  • A Curable Romantic
  • Balancing Acts
  • Janeology
  • Family Affair
Susan McBride is the USA Today Bestselling author of Blue Blood and four other award-winning Debutante Dropout Mysteries from HarperCollins/Avon, including The Good Girl's Guide To Murder, The Lone Star Lonely Hearts Club, Night Of The Living Deb, and Too Pretty To Die. A sixth title, Say Yes to the Death, will be out in early 2015. Susan has another series with Avon debuting in May 2014, the Rive...more
More about Susan McBride...
Little Black Dress Blue Blood (Debutante Dropout, #1) The Truth About Love and Lightning The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout, #2) The Debs (The Debs, #1)

“Here's to our enduring sisterhood. May it bind us together more tightly that the Lycra in my Spanx underpants.” 16 likes