Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)

Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Curiosity is always a killer for former police officer Dixie Hemingway. Even a trip to pick up her parrot at the veterinarian's office is bound to turn up something... curious. ..and the teenager Dixie meets in the waiting room is no exception. Jaz, as she calls herself, is inconsolable after her stepfather ran over a rabbit with his car. Really? Dixie's animal-like instin...more
Published January 19th 2010 by Minotaur Books

Christina Jones
Another fast read, but this time the subject takes on some heavier social issues. Ms. Clement does tend to become repetitious about her chores with the animals (how many times do we need to hear about Billy Elliot's need to run fast, or how many times she cleans the parrot's cage, etc.). Also, I'm tired of the handsome, but gay coupling of her brother and his partner...it's not even relevant to the story line in any of the five books, so why make such a point of it in each of them? Who cares if...more
Alissa
Even after five of these, Dixie still delights and I think the things she finds herself tangled up in are credible and plausible. There was some movement forward in her character development, which I like to see in a series; and I just enjoy these books. They're short and entertaining. My one complaint is that early on I think the author did too much foreshadowing with some unnatural lines, "It's good that we can't see to far ahead. If we could we'd never go forward."
Marci
Loved it...this series is a must for any pet lover out there. Dixie appears to be moving on with her life quite nicely after dealing with the death of her husband & daughter. But instead of resuming her job as a Sheriff's Deputy she continues to pet sit. Which is where she meets Jaz a troubled teen who has difficultly letting people in. Things turn topsy turvy in Dixie's world when an old high school friend turns up asking Dixie for help.
Leslie Angel
For what it is, a cosy featuring a pet sitter set in the Keys, it's good. Interesting characters (e.g. gay brother and his partner, paraplegic greyhound owner, old woman who makes great chocolate bread) and enough about the setting that you want to live there.
Carol
Jan 30, 2010 Carol rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cats
I like this series. A cozy-ish mystery series but not too fluffy, and I like the characters, both human and animal.
Cathy
I was extremely disappointed in this outing. Just...blah...Very weak. Maybe this series as bottomed out.
Ed
#5 in the Dixie Hemingway series. Dixie, a former Sheriff's deputy, now works on a wealthy Florida Key as a pet sitter. A very enjoyable series, especially for lovers of cozies and/or animals.

Dixie Hemingway takes an instant liking to Jaz a girl she first meets at the vet with a nervous man claiming to be Jaz's stepfather. Later, three young thugs looking for Jaz confront Dixie at the home of one of Dixie's clients. Lt. Jean-Pierre Guidry, suspects the three are connected to the knifing murder o...more
Armelle
Dixie - a professional pet-sitter, and ex-cop - manages to get mixed up in a South American drug cartel, and a gang shooting in LA - all without ever leaving the Florida keys.

Like many books of this type, everyone around her tells her to stop meddling, but of course, she doesn't. She saves a child, but almost messes up a major bust, and somehow, nobody seems to mind.

I really like Dixie and her family and friends, but I find the mystery elements of this series a little too far out there.

Still, i...more
Ellen
"Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs" by Blaize Clement.

Another winner in a winning series.

Dixie Hemingway has problems on her hands and I don't mean small problems. She encounters a teenager, Jaz, with a bully of a step-father at the vet's office. Later while at one of her client's homes taking care of Big Bubba, a talkative parrot, young thugs show up demanding to know the whereabouts of Jaz. Dixie senses trouble for Jaz.

As if that isn't enough trouble for Dixie to get involved with a high school f...more
angie
Another great entry in this series that I love. If you haven't read any of these you should start at the beginning of the series just for the character intros & backgrounds. The stories are smart & interesting & the pet sitting aspect is funny as well as informative. The descriptions of the setting ( Siesta Key, Florida) is enough to make you want to move there. The main character Dixie is Kinsey Milhone with a shot of adrenaline. They have a lot in common- feisty, gun carrying, form...more
Sara
I do enjoy this series. Dixie is "damaged goods" but she's getting better all the time. The characters in the book are all so well-drawn and the descriptive scenes just make me want to visit or live in Siesta Key.

Dixie meets a mysterious young girl (Jaz) at the vet's office where one of Dixie's friends steps forward to ask Jaz to help (unneeded *wink*) with the assistance dog pup she's training. Dixie sees Jaz several times, then the girl disappears. Dixie's brother Michael is busy with work and...more
Theresa Sivelle
I loved this part "Crazy is a dark ugly town. Stay there long enough and you'll learn all the roads, all the houses and gas stations, until you figure out that crazy is just an alternative territory. You can live there if you want to, or leave. It's your choice." I loved this story. There really was a story in a story. I already have the next book que'd up.
Kat
E.
Mar 01, 2010 E. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Dixie is continuing to pick up the pieces of her life as she continues to be conscientious about caring for her various charges. She encounters a young girl with an incongruous stepfather while at the veterinarian's office and becomes alarmed when a group of thugs accost her at one of her pet-sitting houses while looking for the girl. Adding to her worries, Paco, her brother-in-love, disappears on an undercover assignment and is not heard of for days so Dixie is reluctant to involve her brother...more
Ann Littlewood
Despite the cutesy title, this mystery lacks both telepathic animals and a dim-witted heroine. Instead, it's a reasonably brisk venture set on a Florida key with an engaging protagonist. Dixie, the lead character, is an ex-cop, now a pet sitter. This is the fifth in the series. A frightened young girl with a dubious "stepfather," an old friend in a panic because her husband has been kidnapped, thugs and cops and colorful locals. Fine descriptions of the ocean, sunsets, and island life. Dixie mak...more
Babs
I've enjoyed this series. This particular one, however, was a bit tedious at times. Dixie is Parrot sitting in this one. While the first two times she describes the routine of taking care of the parrot are fine, she does it again at least three more times. I kept wondering what the parrot has to do with the mystery. He must have something to do with it, since she talk about the routine so much. But, no the parrot is not central to the mystery. Why then, do we have to hear about her cleaning out...more
Caitlin Olsen
I love this series. There is something so refreshing about Dixie and the way she tells it how it is, instead of skirting around the truth. In this book Dixie is pulled into a world of gangs and drug trafficking when she meets a young girl named Jaz. She knows something is off and won't rest until she figures out what is going on with Jaz and how to help her. This mixed with helping out an old friend, can only lead to Dixie finding herself in the midst of madness and mayhem!

I gave this 4 stars,...more
Andy
A very quick read. My first Blaize Clement book and picked up as the book was on display at the library. Having 4 cats myself, this would be a good read. Reminded me of a cross between Lillian Jackson Braun and Janet Evanovich. Not as funny as JE but the main character seems similar to Stephanie Plum. Enjoyed for a Saturday afternoon read. The funny thing is I think Winston the cat was reading too as he jumped down at the same point in time that Winston the cat (similar description) in the book...more
Kj
Oct 13, 2012 Kj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: clement
I love this series and all the characters. At times I think she goes into her descriptions a bit much but then again I read the series and if reading seperately you need some history. I like how she did not overdo all her pain issues with losing her family. For me that takes away drom the story in her other books---NOT ALL!!!
I love Dixie, Ella and the gang. Nice change from heavy murder mysteries and love the pet angle. Lots of new knowledge! I hope this series continues for a long time...
Jackie
Pet sitter Dixie Hemingway would have never guessed her visit to the vet would be anything but routine. She meets a young girl named Jaz who turns out is in the witness protection program running from some young thugs who seem hot on her trail. Dixie' old friend from high school is also in a boat load of trouble involving her rich, much older, Columbian husband. It was entertaining but too much blah, blah about about useless information.
Susan
Again, a good read, especially for fans of the series.
Gramy
This book is about a woman named Dixie Hemingway. She used to be a deputy, whose career is now a pet sitter. She very devoted to the pets she agrees to take care of.

Dixie stumbled into a drug ring when she meets a young girl named, Jaz, who is witness to a shooting in L.A.. She has feelings for Guidry that she doesn't know how to handle, but she should try to take a chance anyway.
Martha Grace
I have read all the Dixie Hemingway books and eagerly awaited this newest one. Dixie is at the vet's office with one of the pets she is sitting for and meets a teenage girl named Jaz who is distressed over an injured rabbit. Jaz's step-father seems a bit off and Dixie's interest is piqued. Dixie ends up trying to figure out who Jaz is and where she is staying. Interesting, and fun.
Dawn
I really like this series and I sort of envy Dixie's life (the pet sitting part, not the dead husband and daughter part). That said, it seemed like there wasn't much action in this book until the very end. And at the beginning, there seemed to be the promise of action with all the dramatic foreshadowing. I liked it, but not my favorite of the series.
Jan
By far not my favorite story in the series. Just when I was ready to start another series though, Clement pulled me back in w a wonderful ending. Again her strengths are pulling in characters from other books in the series. Reading this series so quickly makes me wonder how much recapping about key points does an author need to do in each new book?
Tina Baxter
I just love the Dixie Hemmingway mystery series. They are cozy and quick reads with great characters, interesting story lines and a tiny bit of romance. Maybe because I am an animal lover myself. This is the 5th in the series and I have really enjoyed them all. A nice change of pace from my recent paranormal obsession!
Anne Grobbo
Blaize Clement has created a memorable character with depth that draws her readers in. Dixie Hemingway is a little sad, a little crazy, and big on warmth, highly believable. And the critters keep things rolling along between the fights, frights and shootings. I love this series.
Bridget
Suzanne Beecher at dearreader.com was great friends with this author and mentioned her many times, including the sad day when she wrote about her passing. I was so happy to finally see for myself what a great writer she was and plan to track down the rest of these books soon.
Jess
May 27, 2010 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I just finished the last of the currently published Dixie Hemingway! I even put my summer reading challenge on hold to read through to the fifth book. I loved this installment with its funny, odd characters. And the ending was delightful!
Breanna
I liked that the author switched up the scenario a bit in this one. I love the passion Dixie has for her job and also for helping others. I was happy about the budding relationships at the end of the book.
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #5)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba...more
More about Blaize Clement...
Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1) Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #2) Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #3) Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4) Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)

“Heads of warring nations could learn a lot about how to achieve lasting peace by watching dogs and cats who live in the same house.” 5 likes
“August in Florida is God's way of reminding us who's in charge.” 2 likes