Start by marking “The Bone Chamber” as Want to Read:
The Bone Chamber

The Bone Chamber (Sydney Fitzpatrick #2)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Special Agent Sydney Fitzpatrick, forensic artist to the FBI, returns to Quantico to help identify a brutally murdered young woman. But when Sydney’s friend and colleague, the forensic anthropologist who assisted her, is killed in a hit-and-run, a covert government team takes over the investigation, and Sydney is suddenly removed from the case. Certain her friend’s murder ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Harper (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Chamber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Chamber

J.R.
Summoned to do a routine sketch of a mutilated murder victim, forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick soon finds herself embroiled in an international conspiracy involving several mysterious government agencies. When the colleague who recommended her for the job is also killed, Sydney puts her career with the FBI in jeopardy, flying off to Europe in search of answers.

Incorporating the Templars and their alleged treasure, Freemasonry, biblical history and the Vatican—elements previously put to good us
Bridget

When the body of a woman is found, forensic expert, Sydney sets to work on finding out who this woman is. What she soon realizes is that the body she is working on is a U.S. Ambassador's daughter. She teams up with Zach, a government agent and together they take a trip to Rome in search of clues. They end up finding a lot more than their searching for.

This is one of those books that leaves you feeling like you've run a marathon. The suspense doesn't let up, there are no breaks. The Bone Chamber
Robert Beveridge
Robin Burcell, The Bone Chamber (Harper, 2010)

Fans of The Da Vinci Code will probably like this book. I don't mean that to be anywhere near the slight it sounds (while my Da Vinci Code review on Amazon sports three stars, I have revised it to half that in my notes); The Bone Chamber is a far more intelligent treading of that particular path, and a great deal better. Robin Burcell credits her audience with a great deal more brainpower than does Dan Brown, and that makes all the difference.

Sydney
Sharon
Robin Burcell's "The Bone Chamber" is a little slow to get started, but good once it finds its legs.

Like many novels released in the wake of Dan Brown's highly successful "The DaVinci Code," Burcell's story involves following clues to find a treasure secreted by a secret group. In this case, she centers her story on legends (urban or otherwise) about the Freemasons and tales about the treasure of Solomon's temple. The premise here is that an international cabal is trying to find the Ark of the
Bigd_041555
Templars, Illuminati, Freemasons, the Smithsonian for the first murder scene, high speed car chases down windy roads, stuff that gets blown up - and the main setting is in Rome, Italy - near the Vatican no less then off to Naples!

Can you think conspiracy theories! Who do you trust? A very good read filled with puzzles and adventures underground and above ground. Robin Burcell has really done her homework and has provided her personal experiences to her book once again.

Anne Hawn Smith
I really enjoyed this book. It had everything! There were corrupt politicians, FBI agents, CIA, Black Ops, archaeologist, bio weapons, tunnels and catacombs under the Roman streets, ancient hidden maps, Knights Templar, Freemasons, car chases, a little romance and bombs. What more could you ask for? Well, I guess you could insist that it was well put together and this book was put together as well. You might have to suspend disbelief a time or two, but, it's a book, not a biography! It was a gre ...more
Kay
I was a little disappointed and perhaps it was because it was a 'Dan Brown' knock off dealing with the Masons, Templar Knights and the Catholics. Otherwise it was an interesting book.
Cornerofmadness
I had high hopes for this one. It was written by a FBI forensic artist about a main character who was the same. I was wondering how they'd keep an artist in the mystery (since that really is a rather limited scope job) and the answer was in no way that was believable.

Sydney ends up doing a drawing for someone in a gov. agency about a woman found with a pyramid carved out of her face. During the day or two this takes, Sydney's friend, who she recommended to help on the case, is killed. rather tha
Gina
Denise
3 1/2 stars for those who like conspiracy stories about the Freemasons, Templar Knights and other secret societies..., January 9, 2010
The Bone Chamber is yet another title that is reminiscent of the conspiracy and Templar Knights novels by Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Raymond Khoury et al. This action-packed thriller features FBI forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick in her second outing (after Face of a Killer) and is a romp through the city and the underground burial chambers of Rome as she and her
Suzanne Barrett
FBI-trained forensic artist-turned-author Robin Burcell has penned an exciting conspiracy thriller in The Bone Chamber. With more twists and turns than a ride down Lombard Street, Ms. Burcell takes the reader on a high speed journey from Washington, D.C. to Rome with stops in between.

Forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick reluctantly becomes involved in a murder case when her close friend and the expert she recommended to help in the crime solving is also murdered.

Agent Zachary Griffin needs Sydney'
Mark Young
Author Robin Burcell’s main character, FBI forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick, returns in The Bone Chamber trying to hide from psychological wounds inflicted in the past. However, Sydney is dragged from her hiding place—an FBI academy classroom on the Quantico marine base where she teaches—to help in another baffling case filled with secrets, lies, and murder.

Readers: If you think Robin was tough on you in Face Of A Killer, wait until Sydney starts eluding the bad guys in this novel.

And readers
Chibineko
This book was marketed as a mystery & a historical thriller ala James Rollins. Since I love Rollins & I discovered that the book had a blurb with him recommending it, I eagerly picked this up. Unfortunately the book wasn't a mystery at all & the historical parts don't really come into play until later in the book. It's a thriller, but I wouldn't really classify it as a mystery.

The plotline follows forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick as she gets caught up in a murder that's taken the
Stephanie
An entertaining read, a little bit off the beaten path of my usual fare. It proved to be a refreshing diversion because, like most mystery novels, it moves along quickly and reads easily. It originally caught my eye because it was written by an FBI forensic artist, so I figured there would be a fairly genuine "authenticity." All in all, Burcell achieved this, although I felt there were some elements of the writing that needed improvement. (For example, some of the characters seemed to have a lot ...more
Christina
Book #15 for 2011

I'm a sucker for secret societies and intellectual treasure hunts, so when I saw Robin Burcell had taken on the Knights Templar, I couldn't resist. Of course, it is impossible to discuss this book without comparing it to Dan Brown's works, Indiana Jones, National Treasure, and so on. In some ways, this book was far superior, especially to Dan Brown and National Treasure. The details are more realistic, and the characters for the most part behave about as intelligently as they ar
Ashley Dawn
FBI forensic artist Agent Sydney Fitzpatrick is on her way to visit family for the holidays when she is called back to reconstruct the face of a murdered girl, a case she has already turned down. The whole thing seems a bit off from the beginning, but when the agent requesting her help, Zachary Griffin, keeps a friend’s murder from her because ‘the case comes first’ Sydney feels guilty and is determined to find out why her friend was murdered.
Zachary Griffin needs Agent Fitzpatrick’s cooperation
Jarek
The Bone Chamber by Robin Burcell has it all: a strong female protagonist accompanied by operators of a secret government agency fighting off an international crime organization while tracking down a centuries-old conspiracy involving Freemasons, Vatican and a treasure of Knights Templar. The premise of the novel sounds like "National Treasure" on steroids. Unfortunately the actual plot somehow fails to fully capture the reader's attention. It is plausible in general, thanks to the extensive res ...more
Speesh
I'm struggling to see what the point of this one was. It didn't seem to be about anything much, though it desperately wanted to.

Sometimes it seemed to be wanting to be Dan Brown, sometimes a Robert Ludlum, sometimes Michael Connelly.

Sometimes it seemed like it might be going into interesting areas, then it didn't. But there was always a long way between any interesting revelations and when they came, they really weren't that interesting.

I think it was about some mad Italian mobster trying to get
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Plot Summary: Special Agent Sydney Fitzpatrick, forensic artist to the FBI, returns to Quantico to help identify a brutally murdered young woman. But when Sydney's friend and colleague, the forensic anthropologist who assisted her, is killed in a hit-and-run, a covert government team takes over the investigation, and Sydney is suddenly removed from the case. Certain her friend's murder is connected to the first case, Sydney investigates. She discovers that the first victim was not only an archeo ...more
Michael Sump
“The Bone Chamber” by Robin Purcell is a thriller set in Washington, DC and in the catacombs of Rome. Sydney Fitzpatrick, an FBI agent with a specialty in forensic drawing, is lured into a murder investigation by a friend and frequent working partner. The friend is soon killed by a hit and run driver, and Sydney begins to investigate and discovers that anyone remotely touching this case has been killed under mysterious circumstances.
She finds herself involved in a black operation with a man n
Arlene
I am a huge fan of mystery crime novels. My go to TV shows are usually CSI, Law and Order and SVU. When I read Robin Burcell's books I feel like I'm watching a movie in my head. The way she writes feels like it runs smooth just like a movie would. At no point did I feel I wanted to break from the book cause I wanted and needed to know what was happening. The movie in my head playing "Bone Chamber" did not have a pause button.

Newton Public Library Iowa
An odd yet intriguing blend of DaVinci Code and Iris Johansen, this addition to Burcell's Sydney Fitzpatrick series, The Bone Chamber, takes the heroine on an unbelievable but impossible to put down romp through Italy as she determinedly follows a black ops agent trying to answer the questions surrounding the death of her friend Tasha. Tasha's murder is the tip of the iceberg, however. As the book proceeds, readers will be inundated with details of numerous deaths, conspiracy theories, the Freem ...more
Henri Moreaux
Continuing on from the prior book 'Face of a Killer' Special Agent Sydney Fitzpatrick is now an FBI headquarters in Quantico teaching forensic art.

That is, until the mysterious covert government investigator Special Agent Griffin arrives and draws her into a web of corruption, deceit and mystery which commence with the murder of a young woman whose face has been carved off leaving a pyramid of skull behind... and no finger tips for identification either.

From Washington to Rome we follow the new
Jessica
This book is quite complex, with many different elements, such as secret societies, ancient codes, bio-weapons, ancient crypts, conspiracy theories, etc. There is so much going on throughout the story that I don't think the reader will get bored or tired of.

The author, Robin Burcell, has worked as an FBI trained forensic artist, so she knows what she is writing about.

The story has plenty of action scenes (ex. car chases), thrills (ex. government moles), suspense (ex. missing people), and myste
Winter
To say I loved this is a bit of an understatement. To say this book is just another typical suspense, is a slight to the author and the book. To say ... oh forget it.

The Bone Chamber lived up to its backcover hype, literally. Don't for one moment think you know what's going on, or suspect you know, because you'll be proven dead wrong, as some of the characters learned.

This is my first Robin Burcell book, considering my library is a bit behind in picking her up. Despite being the 2nd Sydney Fitzp
Danie
There was so much in this book happening at the same time and so many characters with so many different motivations that a lot of it was a bit confusing.

The characters were just as amazingly written (including the still annoying as hell Scotty) and the story was very well put together. Basically Sydney gets asked to do a forensic sketch of an unidentifiable dead woman and then mystery, chaos and definitely some running and gun play happens.

The main characters in this, Griffin and Sydney were sol
Tammie Carroll-thompson
I really liked this book. I had received it free and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. If you are a fan of the DiVinci code this is a must read. Strong lead characters and plenty of suspense . I can't wait to read more of this author
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Sydney Fitzpatrick, FBI forensic artist
SETTING: Washington, DC, and Rome
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.25
WHY: In her role as a forensic artist for the FBI and at the recommendation of a friend, Sydney Fitzpatrick identifies a mutilated woman. Shortly thereafter, her friend is killed in an accident and Sydney is removed from the investigation. Trying to find answers leads Sydney and purported agent Zachary Griffin to uncover secrets harking back a few hundred years and involving a treasure
Charlotte Smith
Nope, nope, nope. I read this based on several reviews likening it to Dan Brown's books. Sadly, it's a shadow of those books - one that I found boring to be honest. The characters felt under-developed, and the storyline was a bit too thin for me. It was ok, but that's it. I wouldn't bother.
Barb
The 3 stars is a stretch for me, 2 1/2 would be more correct. This was an okay mystery. The story could have been a bit deeper and seemed to be wound up quite quickly at the end. I think Burcell had a good story - I usually like anything that has to do with the conspiracy theory of the Freemasons - but what Adami was going to do was not really fleshed out and the arrest of the USA officials involved was a bit ho-hum. We didn't really get to know those characters so did we really care. The threat ...more
  • Four Red Diamonds (Lady Marmalade, #1-4)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • Patalosh: The Time Travelers
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Blood Dahlia - A Thriller (Sarah King Mysteries)
  • Twisted Justice
  • Murder Is A Bad Day To Have A Baby
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Private Deception
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • Metro Star Murders
  • Eleven (Brandon Fisher FBI Series, #1)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)

Sydney Fitzpatrick (6 books)
  • Face of a Killer
  • The Dark Hour
  • The Black List (Sydney Fitzpatrick, #4)
  • The Kill Order
  • The Last Second: A Novella
Face of a Killer The Dark Hour The Black List (Sydney Fitzpatrick, #4) Every Move She Makes Fatal Truth