Start by marking “You Are Being Lied to : The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  803 ratings  ·  34 reviews

Do you believe any of the following?

Alcoholics Anonymous is effective.

Hackers pose a grave threat to the nation.

There's a hidden code in the Bible.

Thousands of species have become extinct because of deforestation.

Licking certain toads will get you high.

Most terrorists are Middle Eastern.

Wake up! You are being lied to.

This book acts as a battering ram against t

Published March 29th 2001 by MJF Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about You Are Being Lied to , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Being Lied to

Marianne
John
Dec 20, 2007 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
disinfo.com is a website ive been returning to for many years - one of the first ever subversive sites that i found. used to be the bomb, still has excellent stories from time to time. i should check back more regularly than i do.
Earl
This includes my article on textbook censorship.
Ron
What begins as a fairly visionary critique of media distortion, false social theory, the disinformation taught as history in public schools, the mass delusion that is religion and the insanity that is the war on drugs devolves rapidly in the last third into crazed rants about fringe topics. Sadly, all of the good that the book does is undercut by the insane ravings of Howard Bloom--who is elevated to god like status and then contradicted by the questionable scholarship of Rianne Eisler later in ...more
Tamra
On the one hand, this book has essays by Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn, and quotes from people like Mark Twain, George Orwell and Bill Hicks. All good stuff. On the other hand, there are also essays that are strong arguments that the axiom 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' should be tattooed to some peoples' foreheads. There are a number of essays that raise some interesting questions about what we think we know (Were there only two killers at Columbine?) and what other eviden ...more
Garrett Weigand
Sep 01, 2007 Garrett Weigand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most people
Though everything contained in this mammoth collection of conspiracy theories, whodunits and intellectual capers must be taken with a fist-sized hunk of salt, it deserves serious consideration on the part of every free-thinker out there. Granted, many of the articles and essays in this book are contradictory and *ahem* a little out-there, the same can be said of the bible. So let's not allow the obvious textual issues inevitable with a book like this get in the way of our enjoying it.

You don't
Nick
This book traffics conspiracy theories and half-truths in the service of feeding the interest of people who don't trust establishment. Which is pretty much fine and necessary, I guess, but the problem is that these exposés you can't really take seriously. Case in point: The chapter on the Columbine massacre. I don't think there's any serious debate as to what happened that day, or how many shooters there were. However, the book pulls quotes from articles published in local newspapers the day aft ...more
Tim Cusmano
As with any disinfo book, read with a truckload of salt. Plenty of cool bits, and some out there shit as well.
James
I found this to be inaccurate often enough to have little credibility, and when it is right(government agencies and officials lie! GASP! Advertisers lie! WOW!), the reaction it inspires is more "Whoop-de-freaking-doo, so what else is new?" than shock or surprise. This guy takes himself WAY too seriously, or else he's a cynical hack. Either way, I wish I hadn't wasted as much time as I did before I dropped it.
J
A few authors of sections may be missing a few tools from their shed, but no more than Lou Dobbs or Glenn Beck who somehow get to permeate the brains of the most vulnerable. Wolf Blitzer, I know where you sleep... Anyway, it's an interesting read with footnoted sources to review.
Joe Paulk
Some of the essays here are frantic raves, others are more reasonable and at least give the reader a direction to turn to if they want more information. Secret FBI files are more believable however than Icke's lizard people.
Ima.lotus
Such a good read to understand many misconceptions and to get through the lies. How power is abused and people are manipulated sometimes by the media and some other times by our own ideas.
Satyrblade
DON'T BUY THE LIES! Although messy as hell (like most Disinformation Press collections), this book is essential reading if you're intrigued by what you're NOT being told.
Kara
This was on everyone's shelf in college and I've leafed through it probably 50 times. Fun light reading for the conspiracy theorist, or, as Connor says, the alternative historian.
HeavyReader
This book is filled with fascinating information, sort of conspiracy therory-esque, but believable. Once I picked it up, I could barely put it down.
Mike Greenfield
I knew the media was corrupt, but I had no idea how bad it was until I read this book. It also comments about Religon, Government, etc. Great read.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
You Are Being Lied To: The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes and Cultural Myths by Russ Kick (2001)
sologdin
some interesting left content here, but much more of the paranoid style (in Hofstadter's conception) than otherwise.
Constantin Preda
I hate being lied to and it puzzles me how many millions of American's believe EVERYTHING they hear, see, and read.
Keith
Oct 08, 2008 Keith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daric, Jake, Ben, anyone
If there is a hint of skepticism in you about the information you receive on a daily basis, read this book.
Mr. Shoemaker
Fun rants, many a little cracked, but much of the material feels too dated and irrelevant by 2012.
Eric
Somehow its more believable when its written by the likes of Al Franken, a real politician.
Chris G
A great read, but a little too "conspiracy theory"-ish at times.
Ashti
A book of conspiracies that sort of make you wanna go ummmmm!!!
kimberly
Your mind will never stop questioning everything ever again.
Fall Madrigal
The best conspiracy theory/informative book I've read so far.
Chet
Jan 13, 2008 Chet rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in counter culture.
Entertaining alternative viewpoints of just about everything.
Robert
Lots of great articles. Too many to say.
Kristeeeee
i'm reading this cover to cover this time.
Libby
worth skimming. The chunk on opiates was great.
  • Book of Lies: The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult
  • Underground!: The Disinformation Guide to Ancient Civilizations, Astonishing Archaeology, and Hidden History
  • Anarchy for the Masses: The Disinformation Guide to The Invisibles
  • Apocalypse Culture II
  • The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History
  • Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • None Dare Call It Conspiracy
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say
  • Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies
  • The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • Introducing Psychology
  • Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
  • Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD and the Sixties Rebellion
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster: Why the Official Story of 9/11 is a Monumental Lie
Editor of the website The Memory Hole which publishes and archives hidden US government documents, including scientific studies and reports, civil rights-related reports, intelligence and covert action reports.

He is also editor-at-large for The Disinformation Company, where he has published several books including The Book of Lists and 50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know.
More about Russ Kick...
Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion From the Epic of Gilgamesh to Shakespeare to Dangerous Liaisons (The Graphic Canon #1) 50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know Disinformation Book of Lists: Subversive Facts and Hidden Information in Rapid-Fire Format