Start by marking “Tumor” as Want to Read:
Tumor

Tumor

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Frank Armstrong has an inoperable brain tumor that-s killing him. In his final days, with his body, senses, and mind failing him, he-s going to do the one thing that he-s never been able to do before- save the girl.

TUMOR is a dark Los Angeles noir from the Harvey Award nominated creators of the critically acclaimed ELK-S RUN.
Hardcover
Published (first published July 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tumor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumor

Josh Brunsting
This is the written word/graphic art version of a good glass of orange juice. Filling and completely full of pulp. This hits the spot for any fan of pulp novels, film noir, or interesting character studies. Overall, one of the best graphic novels of the year.
Annie
Despite some opinion, reading a graphic novel via the Kindle reader on a tablet is enjoyable (imho).
From Goodreads: From the Harvey Award-nominated creative team of Elk's Run comes Tumor, the critically acclaimed sensation that was the first graphic novel to debut exclusively on the Kindle E-Book Reader! Tumor is the story of Frank Armstrong, a man at the boot heel of the world, barely scraping up a living as a private investigator in modern day Los Angeles. He finally lands a big case, finding
Matthew
A very strong noir-ish thriller done in graphic novel form, with lots of nods to Chandler as well as the great BBC series the Singing Detective. Frank Armstrong is an aging tough guy PI who gets caught up in a case involving a drug lord's runaway daughter who may or may not have stolen a large sum of money from her father. The big twist is that Amstrong has a brain tumor, causing him to have painful migraines, disorienting seizures and even frightening time slips into his own past. The narrative ...more
Guy Gonzalez
Joshua Fialkov delivers a solid noir with a Christopher Nolan meets Quentin Tarantino vibe, and as with their excellent Elk's Run, Noel Tuazon nails the atmospheric tone with his sketchy, gritty visuals. Their lead, Frank Armstrong, is a sympathetic character put through the wringer, and the bittersweet ending satisfies. The book itself is another great package by Archaia, from the ragged edges of the thick, off-white paper stock, to the multiple extras, including a tight short story that fleshe ...more
Joseph
I'm of two minds about the art. On the one hand, the scratchy, unfinished quality is the perfect match for this gritty detective story. On the other hand, I tend to have a lot of problems keeping characters straight, which is only exacerbated by the way the story jumps through time.

The art aside, however, this is a great story and character piece. Fialkov uses Frank's brain tumor as more than just a gimmick, but rather as a tool to peel away the layers of his guilt and cynicism, finally exposin
Dan Billings
This is how a crime story should evolve. Time has a bit of a meaning, but with fantastic art that clearly denoted the present and the past, the changes in periods was not confusing at all. In fact, it was seemless. I knew the ending of the story, as I suppose we all are supposed to when we start the story, but how the main character, a down on his luck and end of the road PI, gets there is phenomenal. This is the best crime graphic novel I have read in quite some time.
Jim
hardboiled detective fiction just isn't my thing, were it so i would have loved this. the art is sketchy in a good way, reminds me of the Wordsmith comic reegade published 20 years ago. v. nice. the art damn near moves on its own.
the writing is great and the insightful about the cancer tumor. don't know that i'd like this in a h.s. library, but can reccomend to fans of marlowe and hammett
Rene
This was a great Graphic Novel filled with tons of extras. I was also fortunate enough to meet Mr. Fialkov and was able to express my gratitude at having Los Angeles portrayed as a place that can still really keep the Detective Story fresh, especially how he handles time in the book.
If you've got the cash for the hardcover, spend it, it is totally worth your pennies!
Jake Forbes
Tumor has a great premise and a dreamlike rhythm that really puts you in the mindset of a man loosing his grip on reality. Tuazon's art is very effective for the blurry, subjective reality of our man Frank. Fialkov's story is tight -- maybe a little too tight. I suppose with a lead character who is so unhinged, the familiar noir tropes are needed to keep things grounded.
sweet pea
considering how beautiful this book design is, i can't imagine reading it on a kindle. it's an interesting take on a crime story. of course, i don't like crime stories. the fluidity of time, the main character knowing he's going to die, the conjunction of present and past, these all made for interesting plot elements. an intriguing and beautifully-made work.
Darth__frodo
Well written and original, just not really my cup 'o tea. I met the writer; really nice guy. I respect his work, it's very clever. The drawings are nothing special but there's still something about them that I liked. It made the book feel older and more suited toward the main character. Overall it was good and I enjoyed it. I would recommend it to others.
Petergiaquinta
Despite its quality production and an interesting introduction about the "time honored" tradition in crime fiction of the cosh to the brainpan (when I was a kid reading the Hardy Boys, Joe and Frank got knocked out at least once in every volume!), there isn't much to like about Tumor. Heavy bond paper can't make up for a weak story with dull characters.
Rj Veit
A really interesting take on a detective comic.
Bruce Adams
A great example of how sequential art works well with the noir form. The chief character is suffering from a tumor, which prompts flashbacks and provides the artist with a great way to fill in the backstory.
Great example of art and writing working hand in hand.
Les
Maybe I really am not a graphic novel person. Maybe this genre is not my cup of tea. Whatever, this did little for me. At least in Bluesman the art carried what elements did not work. Not so much here.

and so it goes . . .

YTD=7
Ben
Interesting device as the brain tumor causes the main character to become distracted and remember events out of place. The story is very much a noir, but with a freshness that elevates it above the usual boilerplate.
Martin
This one had an "okay" story, but the art (perhaps purposefully) was sketchy and not to my liking, and that hampered my enjoyment of this book. My recommendation to you is to borrow it from a friend or the library.
William
good. slightly chaotic. another read would help me put the narrative together better. liked the usage of los angeles as a setting and a character. good graphic novel noir.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
I clearly am not the person who would like stories like these because, I'm the romance, chick-lit, young adult type. But I seriously enjoyed this graphic novel. :)
Sonic
Pretty cool noir story,
that felt a touch strained
and a little bit redundant at times,
but ended with a strong punch.

Justin
It was interesting, but not hardly interesting enough to pursue the next section of the comic/book.
alison
the five stars are for the art; the story--i think--is a solid three-and-a-half.
Steve
Really interesting crime/noir story, reminiscent of Sin City or The Limey.
Stevie
A great concept and an engaging read. Finished in a single sitting.
Nancy Lewis
The wrinkle in time element reminds me of Slaughterhouse Five.
Matt
The art, the temporal slippage, noir-goodies... very well done.
Matt
A perfectly serviceable little noir, but nothing remarkable.
Igor Stanojević
best crime thing since forever
  • Revolver
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Defiance (Navy Justice #3)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • The Kiribati Test
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Primitive
  • Area 10
  • The Coldest City
  • Lost Dogs
  • Supermarket
Joshua Hale Fialkov is the creator (or co-creator, depending) of graphic novels, including the Harvey Nominated Elk’s Run, the Harvey and Eisner nominated Tumor, Punks the Comic, and the Harvey Nominated Echoes.

He has written Alibi and Cyblade for Top Cow, Superman/Batman for DC Comics, Rampaging Wolverine for Marvel, and Friday the 13th for Wildstorm. He’s writing the DC relaunch of I,Vampire, as
More about Joshua Hale Fialkov...
I, Vampire, Vol. 1: Tainted Love I, Vampire, Vol. 2: Rise of the Vampires Echoes Elk's Run I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation